Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garkman
Can Seats Be Preassigned?
If your flight is marketed as AA, but on JL metal (i.e. "AA 8499 Operated by Japan Airlines"), the following apply based upon the fare code or booking code for your flight segments:
N - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport
O - Seats may only be selected at checkin/airport (Confirmed with AA 6/11/17)
Others - Probably can preassign, but please modify this wiki if not
AA Award tickets on JL metal - DO allow seat assignments.
**When inputting a flight number that is a single digit (such as flight 1 from HND-SFO), you must add a leading '0' (zero) when looking up your flight. Failure to do this will result in an error that they can't find your PNR.

If you try to call AA on these fares and select seats, even as an EXP, the agent will be unable to view the seatmap and select seats for you. Your reservation will simply display "--" as the seat selection. Oftentimes these codeshare tickets do not allow JL checkin at T-72 hours, so you may not be able to actually get seats until the airport. You can try online checkin with JL here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/quic/

You may find more information here:
Flights from US to Japan
Flights from US to Other Asian Destinations
==========
Info added on 15th Sept. 2019. As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
==========
Which Booking Code Am I In?

If you have not viewed your fare at booking, you can follow the below steps to check your booking code:
  1. Visit AA.com and open your itinerary
  2. Visit the URL https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
  3. Your booking code should appear for each flight
Print Wikipost

Selecting seats on JAL when booked as AA codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scottlmoore111
Is there a brave soul who wants to book a flight on American, get the JAL PNR, try to select a seat at JAL's website and then cancel the flight -just to see if you can do it?
Why cancel?!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, DL
Just booked a trip as AA code share with JL metals (4 out of 6 flights.) I class on all segments. Called AA for the JL PNR and got it. Tried to select seats on jal.com (both North America and Japan sites), but I can only see two AA flights on JL's website. All 4 JL flights are missing from my itinerary. Called JL and the agent told me that they couldn't select seats for me, and advised me to contact AA. Called AA and got all my seats assigned. Here comes my next question, whom do I call to reserve my meals 30 days out of my travel? Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:42 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ronin98syu
Just booked a trip as AA code share with JL metals (4 out of 6 flights.) I class on all segments. Called AA for the JL PNR and got it. Tried to select seats on jal.com (both North America and Japan sites), but I can only see two AA flights on JL's website. All 4 JL flights are missing from my itinerary. Called JL and the agent told me that they couldn't select seats for me, and advised me to contact AA. Called AA and got all my seats assigned. Here comes my next question, whom do I call to reserve my meals 30 days out of my travel? Thanks.
You can't reserve your business class meal on AA coded flights operated by JL. Only can do it if flights are JL coded.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...l/meal_yoyaku/

The in-flight meal reservation service is not available in the following situations:

The passenger has booked codeshare flights operated by JAL but bearing a flight number of another airline
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:37 pm

Tant pis :-(
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:38 pm

But thank you JALPak for the info
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:33 am

Is the T-72 for online check-in / seat selection a per segment requirement?

I just checked in for my upcoming JL flight and was able to select seats for my first segment (T-72 JFK-NRT) but not my continuing flight (T->72 NRT-SIN).
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by mster
Is the T-72 for online check-in / seat selection a per segment requirement?

I just checked in for my upcoming JL flight and was able to select seats for my first segment (T-72 JFK-NRT) but not my continuing flight (T->72 NRT-SIN).
The answer is that seat selection is available T-72 for each individual segment so if you want the best seats on all of your flights in an itinerary you'll have to go through the seat selection process separately for each segment.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:17 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Is JL O class not available for advance seat selection? It's JL coded so not code share and I remember seeing it listed on their webpage in the wiki before but since the web domain transition I can't find that page anymore.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:46 pm

Have JL PNR booked as AA codeshare. I was able to select seats via call to AA. When I enter my information on the JAL website it says cannot find the reservation. But it shows up as ticketed on my AA account. Is there likely an issue on the JAL side related to the PSS transition?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by werDrD
Have JL PNR booked as AA codeshare. I was able to select seats via call to AA. When I enter my information on the JAL website it says cannot find the reservation. But it shows up as ticketed on my AA account. Is there likely an issue on the JAL side related to the PSS transition?
For me, it worked when I entered the AA-coded flight number instead of the JL-coded flight number.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Originally Posted by eva air
for me, it worked when i entered the aa-coded flight number instead of the jl-coded flight number.
this did not work for me today. Why is it such a pain in the a-- to deal with jal
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: many
Six segments now, a combination of Z and U class, 4 different PNRs, all AA tkt stock and JL codeshare PNRs. I've been successful assigning seats for all JAL segments >60days pre-departure using JAL's website manage booking. Unfortunately the preferred/JMB elite seats (ie, 787-8 windows) are blocked which I expected, but all other seats that are unoccupied are assignable by individual segments. Using other available tools I can see which seats are occupied and which are simply carrier blocked. I'm fine with where I am, but I'd like to know for my own regard when they they open blocked seats. At T-72 I will attempt to move and assign to one of the currently preferred blocked seats, and reattempt again at T-24 if unsuccessful at T-72
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
FWIW, I have an upcoming trip DFW-SAN-NRT-SAN-DFW with all AA flight numbers. To choose seats on JL codeshare flights on JAL website, I had to enter JL PNR (provided by AA), AA flight number and also enter first and middle name in the first name field to pull up the itinerary to choose seats.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aglp2k
FWIW, I have an upcoming trip DFW-SAN-NRT-SAN-DFW with all AA flight numbers. To choose seats on JL codeshare flights on JAL website, I had to enter JL PNR (provided by AA), AA flight number and also enter first and middle name in the first name field to pull up the itinerary to choose seats.
Thanks for the tip. This finally worked for me, with AA coded flight number, JAL's PNR, and my first and middle name *without space* between them.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:22 pm

I have an upcoming flight in JL F issued by AA. I called AA to get my JL PNR.

However on the MMB screen here (https://book-i.jal.co.jp/JLInt/dyn/a...ing/myBookings) it's asking for my Reservation Number. Adding my PNR to that box results in an error. What do I enter for my Reservation Number?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.