Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

InterContinental Davos, Switzerland - Master Thread (leaving IC on May 31, 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Davos, Switzerland - Master Thread (leaving IC on May 31, 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
No availability during late January 2015 when the World Economic Forum is in town

I wonder if they block rooms or just sold out quickly?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by demue
Thanks for the info. I will consider that. I heard it is quite a good spread. Still irking about the 730 CHF per night rate for a Deluxe room on AMB certificate rate. If I was going in Oct I could stay 4 nights for that amount

Oh well, may cut it to 2 nights if no 3rd points night shows up (not hopeful, but one never knows).
Well I shuffled my trip schedule around and will now end in Davos flying back to SIN from ZRH afterwards. In early Jan I managed to get 3 nights on points and then one weekend (Fri-Sun) on a more palatable Ambassador Certificate rate of 450 CHF for a Superior Room.

My points nights are in Deluxe rooms and the paid ones in Superior so at a minimum I expect all nights to be in a Deluxe room. Not sure if they would upgrade my Deluxe category points nights rooms by 1 category (for AMB) in which case I'd be happy to top up my paid night to Deluxe category too. Will see if they make any modifications to the room categories before arrival.

Thanks to others for tips and info regarding transport. If anyone has any food tips (local, Swiss fare) outside of the hotel in Davos please feel free to share. Otherwise I'll follow TripAdvisor
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:29 am

I heard some folks taking the train but I checked connections from ZRH Kloten and it requires like 2 - 3 changes of trains. I was hoping for only 1 switch at ZRH Hbf, but maybe I did something wrong when checking. Was also considering a rental car if needed, though need to check prices first with Sixt, Europcar.
Train is definitely the way to go, unless you're a larger group of traveller (and a mini bus etc. could be cheaper)

It's a very smooth and easy ride. Basically you've trains to Zurich HB (mainstation) every few minutes, there you've to change (no direct trains towards Landquart/Chur from ZRH) to any train towards Landquart, where you'll change for the narrow gauge train to Davos. It's easy to change, and while Zurich Mainstation is really big, frequency of trains is high, so no need to rush, and the connection in Landquart is made in a way that you've enough time, but not too much to wait. In fact, many people travelling to the mountains will visit the local Coop outlet at Landquart to stock up on food and drinks when switching over.

However, it's perfectly doable to drive a car up to Davos. Roads in Switzerland are very good, and if you want a car to get around, it's an alternative. Just keep in mind that parking can be rather difficult in many places during the high season, and usually isn't free.

Last edited by YuropFlyer; Sep 19, 2014 at 3:35 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks will go for train. Driving is not an issue (that's the German speaking ), but cars are quite expensive as expected in CH where everything is pretty much expensive.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Any recent upgrade experiences? If I book Deluxe room, is it possible to get Club Intercontinental room or Alpine Executive room with Platinum Ambassador status?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by R7U
Any recent upgrade experiences? If I book Deluxe room, is it possible to get Club Intercontinental room or Alpine Executive room with Platinum Ambassador status?
but your l/h/s intro-legend says you are only IHG Platinum, without any Ambassador Status and even for Ambassadors IC's do not need give Lounge to Ambassadors when IC's upgrade them to a ClubRoom.

If you purchase Ambassador, then on paid stays you receive a guaranteed 1- level upgrade, I would not expect any further upgrade.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:41 am

I got upgraded to Club room for all my nights for a stay in early Jan 2015 as IC AMB Plat. They are a mix of rewards nights (booked Deluxe) and FWNC (booked Superior). Of course Club access / privileges are not included so room only which is still fine.

I asked to add the breakfast for 35 CHF per person (2 guests so 70 CHF per night) to the rate as I heard (not sure) just showing up at breakfast buffet will be more expensive / higher cost.

Last edited by demue; Nov 4, 2014 at 2:47 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
I got upgraded to Club room for all my nights for a stay in early Jan 2015 as IC AMB Plat. They are a mix of rewards nights (booked Deluxe) and FWNC (booked Superior). Of course Club access / privileges are not included so room only which is still fine.

I asked to add the breakfast for 35 CHF per person (2 guests so 70 CHF per night) to the rate as I heard (not sure) just showing up at breakfast buffet will be more expensive / higher cost.
Are you sure Club Access is not included? Why else would they upgrade you as a Club Room itself is the same as a Deluxe room. I would double check with the Reservations dept.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by LVO
Are you sure Club Access is not included? Why else would they upgrade you as a Club Room itself is the same as a Deluxe room. I would double check with the Reservations dept.
Yes I'm sure. I asked already and I was told "no club benefits" for AMB in very clear terms. Otherwise I would not have to pay 35 CHF per person for breakfast every day (normal price is 50 CHF apparently).

If you are RA you will get Club room & benefits even when booking a Superior room.

Feel free to verify with them directly again. If you get it granted let me know .
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
Yes I'm sure. I asked already and I was told "no club benefits" for AMB in very clear terms. Otherwise I would not have to pay 35 CHF per person for breakfast every day (normal price is 50 CHF apparently).

If you are RA you will get Club room & benefits even when booking a Superior room.

Feel free to verify with them directly again. If you get it granted let me know .
ok. I looked up the e-mail where I asked what their upgrade policy was for an AMB (not RA) and here is what they confirmed in October 2014.

The Upgrade depends which period the reservation is for. During the Winter our Club InterContinental is open and we have then a room category called Clubrooms. So if you book a Deluxe room, you receive a Club Room with Access to the Lounge. The Clubroom has the same size as Deluxe rooms. If you book outside the winterseason, you would receive an upgrade from Deluxe to Alpine Executive Suite, since our Club Lounge is closed during that time.

Will e-mail them again and let you know.

Last edited by EHAM1; Nov 24, 2014 at 5:02 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by LVO
ok. I looked up the e-mail where I asked what their upgrade policy was for an AMB (not RA) and here is what they confirmed in October 2014.

The Upgrade depends which period the reservation is for. During the Winter our Club InterContinental is open and we have then a room category called Clubrooms. So if you book a Deluxe room, you receive a Club Room with Access to the Lounge. The Clubroom has the same size as Deluxe rooms. If you book outside the winterseason, you would receive an upgrade from Deluxe to Alpine Executive Suite, since our Club Lounge is closed during that time.

Will e-mail them again and let you know.
Hmm, thanks for sharing. Interesting. Now for the time period that I will be there in early Jan they are now selling Club rooms officially though that wasn't the case the last time I checked. Actually the breakfast is most important to me as it would save a nice chunk of cash.

In my case though I may not be able to push for it too hard as my first 2 nights on FWNC are actually booked into a Superior Room (though that could be changed, but rate went up like 200 CHF) and then the following 3 nights are reward nights booked into Deluxe room for which they don't need to do anything as per T&Cs.

However, if I hear you correctly, the Club rooms are actually the exact same than the Deluxe rooms so by telling me they give me a "Club room" without any benefits they actually don't give me anything extra aside for the 1 category upgrade for the first two nights? Would they maybe claim that those rooms got a better view (e.g. over the village)?

Appreciate any thoughts. Not that I want to "squeeze" them as I get what I'm basically entitled to, but good to know what is given in other cases.

Last edited by demue; Nov 24, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
However, if I hear you correctly, the Club rooms are actually the exact same than the Deluxe rooms so by telling me they give me a "Club room" without any benefits they actually don't give me anything extra aside for the 1 category upgrade for the first two nights? Would they maybe claim that those rooms got a better view (e.g. over the village)?

Appreciate any thoughts. Not that I want to "squeeze" them as I get what I'm basically entitled to, but good to know what is given in other cases.
the majority of rooms in this hotel are actually deluxe rooms - facing Davos as there are only a few rooms facing the forest on the other side. Suites are located in general in the corner of the building.

In your case I don't see any benefit when tehy assign you a club room without club amenities over a deluxe.

However the restaurant breakfast is well worth the money and in my books far superior to the offer in the lounge
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by boekel
the majority of rooms in this hotel are actually deluxe rooms - facing Davos as there are only a few rooms facing the forest on the other side. Suites are located in general in the corner of the building.

In your case I don't see any benefit when tehy assign you a club room without club amenities over a deluxe.

However the restaurant breakfast is well worth the money and in my books far superior to the offer in the lounge
Thanks on the info about the breakfast. Good to know that it seems to be well worth the money. I was expecting a somewhat slimmed down version in the lounge, I'm just not sure how slimmed down .

Actually if they would be concerned about me drinking myself silly (and costing lots of $$$ ... err CHF) during the cocktail hour than I would happily settle for free daily breakfast for 2 instead and no lounge benefits

I dropped them a note to clarify their upgrade policy for AMB and will see what they say. Usually takes 2-3 days for a response. I will report back.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:08 am

Hi demue, got any reply from IC Davos regarding policy? I am interested in the same subject due upcoming stay on mixed award/bogo/sale rates. Thanks!

One more question to all regarding BF in lounge vs. restaurant: Is there a free choice of where to take BF, or is it limited to lounge only when booked Club Room?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Just bumping this thread to see if there was any clarification on upgrades etc from the hotel as above?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.