Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Priority Club Members

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Dear Priority Club Members

Please understand that upgrades are not always available. We will always try to sell those rooms at full price first, and sometimes people will stay over for another night. Yelling at my front desk clerks and calling corporate changes nothing. Well it does get you flagged in the system as a trouble guest. You don't want that, trust me. You won't see another upgrade ever.

Understand that upgrades are just that and are based on availability only. If you want a certain suite then please book that suite at the price it is offered. Don't count on that suite to be an upgrade.

Thank you!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:58 am
ym1

Programs: M&M, AVIS, HH, GP ...
Originally Posted by Night Audit FTW
Please understand that upgrades are not always available. We will always try to sell those rooms at full price first, and sometimes people will stay over for another night. Yelling at my front desk clerks and calling corporate changes nothing. Well it does get you flagged in the system as a trouble guest. You don't want that, trust me. You won't see another upgrade ever.

Understand that upgrades are just that and are based on availability only. If you want a certain suite then please book that suite at the price it is offered. Don't count on that suite to be an upgrade.

Thank you!
what? where? are you RA/AMB, PC GOLD/Plat none? from the replay you got we can't understand any thing, please add more details.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:53 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassdor

Thank you!
This is a very strange post that doesn't even say what the issue was!! Which hotel are you from? There is absolutely no information in your post so it is pretty pointless!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion

Thank you!
Not the troubled guest list! Anything but that!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:33 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Thank you!

Dear Front Desk Clerk,

We know you try to sell those rooms at full price first, even when we are checking in 4-5 hours after the normal check in time you tell us that there are no upgrades available despite having various higher rooms bookable at that very moment on the net.

We spend more money at a property that looks after us and exceeds our expectations, strangely enough we often provide more profit in such expenditure that what would have been realized from booking an upgraded room alone, the problem of being a captive audience, food for thought?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Tough night at reception last night?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:56 am

^
Originally Posted by perthite
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Both sides need to change. First, for travelers all of the travelers that carry the DYKWIA attitude need to take a chill pill and relax. It's just a room upgrade. You can still sleep and take a shower right?

Then, for FDC/FDM's please stop lying about what is and not available. You have every right to follow policy and not go beyond that, but please at least be truthful about what is and is not an upgrade, and what is and is not available.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by perthite
Sounds like it. Based on the handle and the number of posts I'm guessing its someone who works at a front desk, got a nasty Elite PC member, did some googling and decided to vent a little here. Another part of the social media/internet conciousness thing.

It does bring up an important point I think a lot of us need to remember - the upgrades aren't a guaranteed entitlement. I think the terms say space available. I don't know about you but as a general rule I ask off-handedly/politely if I've been lucky enough to get an upgrade whenever I check in. Something like 'so do Platinums get upgrades at this location' or alike. Sometimes I get told I've already been upgraded. At other properties it will trigger the Front desk person to take a look and/or go through the motions of seeing if an upgrade is available. If I get one I happily thank the person, if not its just too bad so sad and time to thank them for looking.

At no time should we launch into a verbal beratement, etc. Sometimes they just don't have the rooms - particularly at older properties that weren't built with many suite and/or highly occupied properties. I've had a lot of luck with upgrades but its not consistent and that's just the way life is.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by pmaddock
Sounds like it. Based on the handle and the number of posts I'm guessing its someone who works at a front desk, got a nasty Elite PC member, did some googling and decided to vent a little here. Another part of the social media/internet conciousness thing.

It does bring up an important point I think a lot of us need to remember - the upgrades aren't a guaranteed entitlement. I think the terms say space available. I don't know about you but as a general rule I ask off-handedly/politely if I've been lucky enough to get an upgrade whenever I check in. Something like 'so do Platinums get upgrades at this location' or alike. Sometimes I get told I've already been upgraded. At other properties it will trigger the Front desk person to take a look and/or go through the motions of seeing if an upgrade is available. If I get one I happily thank the person, if not its just too bad so sad and time to thank them for looking.

At no time should we launch into a verbal beratement, etc. Sometimes they just don't have the rooms - particularly at older properties that weren't built with many suite and/or highly occupied properties. I've had a lot of luck with upgrades but its not consistent and that's just the way life is.

I beg to differ a little. Obviously Ambassador membership is not applicable at hotels other than IC anyway, however one of the official benefits listed by PC for Platinum members is "Complimentary room upgrades (subject to availability)". This is a published benefit so if there is availability a complimentary upgrade should be given. Obviously if there is not availability or its a property with no upgraded rooms then this wouldn't be given, however if there is the availability there should be the upgrade. This is a benefit of being a regular guest!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: DL GM, DSC, IC Plat, Marriott Plat
In 3 years of a PC Plat, I never received an upgrade. In fact, during a stay at an IC I was offered to buy Ambassador status which included a "free upgrade to Gold status." I chuckled at her and asked if Gold became higher than Plat overnight.

And cue the transition to Marriott where their Plats generally receive superb treatment (and upgrades a few days prior to checkin...)
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
I'm guessing that this individual doesn't work for an IC, or at least doesn't get many Amb/RA's walking through the door!

But +1 on the "honest front desk" practice. If my reservation line is showing availability of the next category, don't tell me your sold out.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by broms
I'm guessing that this individual doesn't work for an IC, or at least doesn't get many Amb/RA's walking through the door!

But +1 on the "honest front desk" practice. If my reservation line is showing availability of the next category, don't tell me your sold out.
I've stayed at places which have been virtaully empty and they still haven't upgraded me, other places have been quite busy but managed to to do it anyway.
and the "you've already been upgraded" is often a blatant lie, stayed at HI Leeds a while ago, my mates who aren't even PC members got an identical room
, theirs was closer to the entrance mine was a loooooong walk away.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:01 am

[QUOTE=flyAUO;13732473]In 3 years of a PC Plat, I never received an upgrade. QUOTE]

I have been Platinum for around 6 years and more recently Royal Ambassador for the last year. While I was Platinum I received an upgrade about 75% of the time. I do put in the comments when I make my booking online "please upgrade if possible as platinum member" so maybe this helps. I have never had to do more than casually ask at reception when checking in if there are any upgrades and never had any 'arguments'. But it IS a benefit you are entitled to.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Well it does get you flagged in the system as a trouble guest. You don't want that, trust me. You won't see another upgrade ever.
And I would take my 80 nights a year to the place on either side of you who has been after my business for 25 years.

And you don't want that, trust me.

Unfortunately, IC created this entitlement fiasco, and the reality is, there is often a "reality gap" between what we can find, on the spot, on line, and what we are being told at a front desk by someone who thinks recognizing me as a Platinum consists of "your numbers in there already".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.