FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dear Priority Club Members
View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:08 am
pmaddock

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by perthite
Tough night at reception last night?
Sounds like it. Based on the handle and the number of posts I'm guessing its someone who works at a front desk, got a nasty Elite PC member, did some googling and decided to vent a little here. Another part of the social media/internet conciousness thing.

It does bring up an important point I think a lot of us need to remember - the upgrades aren't a guaranteed entitlement. I think the terms say space available. I don't know about you but as a general rule I ask off-handedly/politely if I've been lucky enough to get an upgrade whenever I check in. Something like 'so do Platinums get upgrades at this location' or alike. Sometimes I get told I've already been upgraded. At other properties it will trigger the Front desk person to take a look and/or go through the motions of seeing if an upgrade is available. If I get one I happily thank the person, if not its just too bad so sad and time to thank them for looking.

At no time should we launch into a verbal beratement, etc. Sometimes they just don't have the rooms - particularly at older properties that weren't built with many suite and/or highly occupied properties. I've had a lot of luck with upgrades but its not consistent and that's just the way life is.