Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
IC Frankfurt

IC Frankfurt

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest room Panorama Suite River View

How are the rooms?
- Very nice and spacious (71 sqm)
- View to the river Main
- Starting to look dated
- Too bad the lock the balcony doors!

How is the Club Lounge?
- Its always good, always like the hot food option for dinner.
- Usually you can ask for an omelet or something for breakfast not sure if this is for the weekday only, stayed on a weekend.

What was your welcome gift?
A bit different this time contacted the hotel ahead if they can do something for my "gf" since its her birthday and we are staying with our baby daughter and her grandma.
So they prep a Sparkling wine and Cake!

How was the mini-bar?
Very good selection, there are two fridges! They also include the snacks/food items.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, 2x apple, bunch of grapes, 2x banana, 2 pear, 1 orange

What was good and what was bad?
GOOD
- Room
- Upgrade
- Staff
- Lounge
BAD
- Nothing bad really but the gym needs some update...

Value for $ or Club Points?
Always good price during the weekend

Would you return?
Yes
Old May 20, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Thumbs up InterContinental Kuala Lumpur

InterContinental Kuala Lumpur

Platinum Royal Ambassador.

Yes, amaging!

Booked Club InterContinental Room. Initially system immediately indicated to upgrade Ambassador Suite, and then changed to Royal Suite in 2days before arrival. Yes, I received the Royal Suite!

How are the rooms?
So huge... 210sqm huge suite... Wide King size bed, very huge Jacuzzi (1.5times bigger than HK presidential suite's one), 2mini-bar, Philips AV system, Kitchen, Private bar counter, and Washlet toilet.

Video of Royal Suite

How is the Club Lounge?
Just finished the renovation at the end of last year. Very beautiful and stylish atmosphere. Live kitchen provide fresh egg dish in breakfast and traditional Malaysian satay in cocktail time. Very good quality of services.

Suits cover

How was the mini-bar?
Acceptable. No hard liquor and wine.

Yes

GOOD
++++++++++ General Manager ^
+++++ Amaging upgrade ^
+++++ RA recognition
+++++ Location (Very close to KLCC and Petronas twin tower)
+++++ Complimentary laundry services up to 3pcs par night(!) ^
+++++ Very coutesy Staff

BAD
No view. But this is not a hotel's fault. This district is developping so rapidly. This hotel is 30 stories. But recently over 50 stories buildings are constructed and surrounding the hotel.

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Great Value!

Would you return?
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Old May 22, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
IC Washington DC Willard

Yes.

Booked an Executive Suite using BOGO, and was upgraded to an Oval Suite with view (Woodrow Wilson Suite, room 1110). This hotel is very structured in the way they handle room upgrades. RAs receive a two level upgrade, with view vs no view being considered an upgrade.

How are the rooms?

The rooms are very elegant and spacious. Classically decorated, exuding luxury and richness. Very large oval living room, a dining room with table for 6, and a large bedroom with pullout sofa. The dining room had an amazing view of the Washington Monument, and the window in the bedroom looked down Pennsylvania Avenue directly towards the Capitol. I actually noticed that I could see all of the major DC monuments from my hotel window.

How is the exec. lounge?

N/A

Did you receive a welcome gift?

Yes, actually 2. I had the connecting room as well so two gifts were delivered. A very nice snack tray, a dessert tray with chocolates and strawberries, a bottle of sparkling wine, and a bottle of red.

How was the minibar?

Minibar is good. High end stuff. Moet champagne, Grey Goose, etc. They were very good about re-stocking each day, and proactively taking charges off my room. They even said the snacks were included!

-Good

This has to be the most historic hotel in DC. People come here just to see the lobby, and you feel special when you stay here. The rooms are very nice and the location can't be beat.

-Bad

My only gripe is the parking. $50 a night is steep. If you use the SpotHero app you can reserve a spot in a nearby garage for $9 overnight. Less than a 5 minute walk away. PM me if you want the info or a referral code.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

I would definitely use points if you can. They honor benefits on award stays. Otherwise rooms are very expensive. I would NOT pay $300+ to stay in just a normal room. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are nice, but you will be disappointed. Take my advice and book a room that will secure you an upgrade to a suite. If you're going to stay here, a suite is a must.

Would you return?

Yes, but will be interested to see what the new DC IC property will be like.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Booked an Executive Suite using BOGO, and was upgraded to an Oval Suite with view (Woodrow Wilson Suite, room 1110). This hotel is very structured in the way they handle room upgrades. RAs receive a two level upgrade, with view vs no view being considered an upgrade.
You get like 4 or 5 level upgrades as RA when booking under FHR. Plus free breakfast, etc. But that wouldn't work with a BOGO unfortunately.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by stimpy
You get like 4 or 5 level upgrades as RA when booking under FHR. Plus free breakfast, etc. But that wouldn't work with a BOGO unfortunately.
Unfortunately I don't have access to FHR. But as far as I understand this hotel has 5 VIP levels for guests, which are only known internally. I assume the FHR + RA combo would rate higher than the RA status alone, allowing for a greater upgrade.

I actually emailed the hotel months before my stay to see what they'd be able to offer me as RA. They told me that if I booked an executive suite, they would upgrade me to their Thomas Jefferson suite, the very top suite they offer. I took them up on this given we were in town for a special occasion. But just a week before my stay they notified me that a "high profile" guest would be staying in that suite, that it was a "matter of national security", and that I would be moved into an Oval Suite instead.

I was disappointed but used it as leverage for compensation. I was given the connecting room to the Oval Suite free for the entire 4 nights. I was also offered free breakfast for 4 people each morning, so it all worked out.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: IHG RA, Enrich Gold
IC Shanghai Pudong

IC Shanghai Pudong

Not happy cause this property is rather old and tired, needed major renovation almost like walking into a Pyongyang's State run hotel

I booked a deluxe room and upon check-in they could not find my reservation (due to system up-grad ) after showing my RA card they found my reservation and told me I can choose for either club access or a suite room NOT both so....I choose club access with normal room.

How are the rooms?

The room is small compare with others IC hotels in China (i had stay at over 10 differences IC in Asia), and there is no welcome fruits and water for RA?

How is the exec. lounge?

The lounge is like stepping back into 90's old school and tired deco, however the club's staffs are all very friendly and polite.

Yes, a can of Chinese tea leaf

How was the minibar?

Not too bad well stock of soft drinks, beers...

-Good

-Bad

Old age and very poor front office management

No, there are better IC in Shanghai to choose, for example Puxi and Expo are miles better in term of property quality and services...

Would you return?

No thanks

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 24, 2015 at 1:53 am Reason: added name of property to post instead of post title only
Old May 24, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Unhappy InterContinental Jakarta Midplaza

InterContinental Jakarta Midplaza

Platinum Royal Ambassador

Mixed feelings.

Booked One Bedroom Suite. At first hotel offered same room in low level floor without any upgrade or discount offer. I rejected it. After some argument, hotel offered discount to Club Room price. I accepted it but due to assigned room had some problem, moved to Studio Suite.

How are the rooms?
One Bedroom Suite has specious kitchenette and separate living room. 2x LG Plasma TV, Small Philips Sound System w/iPod Dock.

Video of One Bedroom Suite

Studio Suite has 2 different layout. One is located on the corner of wing end. Another one is located on the center corner. Center corner type seems to be renovated recently. I choose wing end type coz it was top of floor.

Video of Studio Suite (Wing End Corner Type)

Video of Studio Suite (Center Corner Type)

How is the Club Lounge?
Quite standard within IHG AMEA region. This Midplaza complex has a lot of Japanese enterprise' offices. Therefore many of Japanese food was offered.

Sweets and Bottles of Switzerland water "EQUIL"

How was the mini-bar?
Acceptable. No hard liquor and wine.

Yes, but 2pcs of banana only.

GOOD
+++ One Guest Relations Officer (He sincerely tried to solve problems)
++ Breakfast Selections (Both Club Lounge and Restaurant)
++ Hotel Security
++ TOTO Washlet Toilet.

BAD
---------- RA Recognitions of Club Service Officer
----- House Keeping level
--- Linens quality

Value for $ or Rewards Club Points?
Standard rate is reasonable price. RA should book cheapest room only.

Would you return?
Not sure.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
IC Sanctuary Cove Queensland

IC Sanctuary Cove Queensland

Royal Ambassador

Yes

Booked cheapest room got Marina View

How are the rooms?
same as always we have been coming here since 1989 and all seems the same .

How is the Club Lounge?
nice breakfast with eggs if needed. afternoon tea is lovely fresh and plentiful.drinkies are serve yourself and hot and cold appetisers.

bottle of red and chocolates

How was the mini-bar?
fully stocked: water, soft drinks, wine, small deutz, spirits ....

Yes, fruit bowl

GOOD
- Excellent Club staff
- Upgrade to Marina View
- Staff, check in / out very friendly
- restaurant usually don't do buffet but the seafood was fresh and tasty.
also drink package at $15 good value if you like wine

BAD
- club or suite not both!

Yes used BOGO during premium boat show

Would you return?
Yes we come every year

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 26, 2015 at 3:09 am Reason: added name of property to post instaed if post title only
Old May 25, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Paris Le Grand

IC Paris Le Grand

Yes, overall but please note lounge information below...

Booked classic room under advance purchase rate and received a Junior Suite, 5th floor with nice Opera view.

How are the rooms?
Classic French decor with a comfortable King Bed. The bathroom was spacious and included both a shower and soaking tub. There was a separate half bath in the hallway entrance. Plenty of closet space.

How is the exec. lounge?
Here's where things are problematic. Past readers of this thread know RA's have traditionally been allowed Club access. According to the check in agent, that practice ended approximately one month ago. In the welcome letter, RA's are now offered a "special" price of 130 Euro/day (less than the 150 Euro regular price). Gee, how generous to give me a 20 Euro discount for all my loyalty as an RA? The agent reminded me that Club Access is not an RA benefit (thanks, after 15 years I know that) but it made me wonder if this is being driven by a standardization effort across the chain.

In the lounge, there was a nice selection of beverages, plentiful evening buffet, and morning breakfast items. At breakfast, the lounge was extremely crowded and there were no seats available. The concierge gave me a pass to take breakfast downstairs at Cafe de la Paix. Very nice!

Good:
As always, the Le Grand is a special experience in a beautiful historic property. It's location next to the Roissybus stop makes for an easy transfer to and from CDG.
The room was clean and spacious
The workout facility was small but well enough equipped for a limited decent workout.

Bad:
The new lounge policy for RA's is distressing! In addition, the 130 Euro addition is ridiculously expensive, unless you want to live in the lounge for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
In another development, the welcome letter also states RA's staying on points do not receive free mini bar, room upgrades, or free pay TV film (basically, everything that is a significant RA benefit). This is a significant downgrade from the previous policy.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Overall, I love the Le Grand, but with the new Club IC access policy, my money would be better spent staying at another IC property and using the savings to have a meal out.

If they hold true to the policy on Rewards Nights, there is no benefit to spending 50K to stay here in a small classic room.

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 26, 2015 at 3:10 am Reason: added name of property to post instaed if post title only
Old May 25, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Yes, overall but please note lounge information below...

Booked classic room under advance purchase rate and received a Junior Suite, 5th floor with nice Opera view.

How are the rooms?
Classic French decor with a comfortable King Bed. The bathroom was spacious and included both a shower and soaking tub. There was a separate half bath in the hallway entrance. Plenty of closet space.

How is the exec. lounge?
Here's where things are problematic. Past readers of this thread know RA's have traditionally been allowed Club access. According to the check in agent, that practice ended approximately one month ago. In the welcome letter, RA's are now offered a "special" price of 130 Euro/day (less than the 150 Euro regular price). Gee, how generous to give me a 20 Euro discount for all my loyalty as an RA? The agent reminded me that Club Access is not an RA benefit (thanks, after 15 years I know that) but it made me wonder if this is being driven by a standardization effort across the chain.

In the lounge, there was a nice selection of beverages, plentiful evening buffet, and morning breakfast items. At breakfast, the lounge was extremely crowded and there were no seats available. The concierge gave me a pass to take breakfast downstairs at Cafe de la Paix. Very nice!

Good:
As always, the Le Grand is a special experience in a beautiful historic property. It's location next to the Roissybus stop makes for an easy transfer to and from CDG.
The room was clean and spacious
The workout facility was small but well enough equipped for a limited decent workout.

Bad:
The new lounge policy for RA's is distressing! In addition, the 130 Euro addition is ridiculously expensive, unless you want to live in the lounge for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
In another development, the welcome letter also states RA's staying on points do not receive free mini bar, room upgrades, or free pay TV film (basically, everything that is a significant RA benefit). This is a significant downgrade from the previous policy.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

Overall, I love the Le Grand, but with the new Club IC access policy, my money would be better spent staying at another IC property and using the savings to have a meal out.

If they hold true to the policy on Rewards Nights, there is no benefit to spending 50K to stay here in a small classic room.
The PLG welcome letter the last 3years at least the last 3years or so said that's also ie no bennies on nonpaid nights BUT
I was always given Full bennies on any award nights as all RAs still got the full set of upgrade, free minibar, free movie

As a solo stay person 130euro is too high although if you are right and minibar excluded some evening drinks will be needed instead of hitting the minibar

Any change is no doubt related to the sale of PLG and of the others neither Amstel/Cannes have a lounge and Berlin changes for their lounge access, I just hope the loss of minibar on awards does not spread to these too.

Last edited by scubaccr; May 25, 2015 at 9:55 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:12 am

IC Paris Le Grand

IC Paris Le Grand

Royal Ambassador

Yes

Booked Executive Room and Got Junior Suite Capucines View (Opera was booked) There was a Rafael Nadal Fundraiser Black Tie event during the weekend! They either gave the rooms to paid guests or an RA thats a regular. Last year I got the Opera View!

How are the rooms?
- It was nice (43 sqm)
- View was ok, can’t really beat the (Opera view)
- I like the Agraria bath stuff, but it was the small bottles though
- This one of the few times when I say “3 people” they actually put enough stuff for 3 persons, with 3 bathrobes, glasses, (2 amenity kits), slippers, etc...

How is the Club Lounge?
- Its always good, always like the hot food option for dinner.
- I think its one of the best Lounges I have been in. Food and beverage selection was very good!
- The staff there was awesome!

A bit different this time contacted the hotel ahead if they can do something for my gf since it was her birthday few days before and we are staying with our baby daughter and her grandma.
So they prep a Champagne and an Opera Cake!
A box of postcards and also come candy in a glass jar, along with the 3 Fruit Juices that they tend to give.

How was the mini-bar?
Very good selection, somehow I thought someone mentioned that the food and misc (USB/Plug converters) were included. But I like they have 2 small Champagne bottles and a wine.

Yes, apple, plum not sure what else

GOOD
- Room
- Upgrade
- Staff
- Lounge
BAD
Not really a huge deal
- One of the twin bed was sagging
- Bathroom outlet didn’t work
- The water in the toilet was running all the time
Lounge
Sadly no longer “free” for RAs.

This property is usually expensive, but I used BOGO made it worth it.

Would you return?
Yes, come here about once a year for a nice getaway.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Paris Le Grand

IC Paris Le Grand

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Yes

Booked a Classic Room as a Reward stay for 6 nights; received an upgrade to an Executive Room (not a great upgrade, but considering recent feedback and that the welcome letter says RAs do not receive upgrade on reward stays, it was OK).

How are the rooms?
It was OK for two of us (I was travelling with my 15 year old niece). Bathroom is huge, separate toilet area.

How is the exec. lounge?
As previously reported, RAs do not get free access to lounge anymore.

Yes -- Fruit (apple, peach, cherry, 2 apricots, tangerine); small glass jar of candy; pack of 10 Paris postcards designed specifically for the hotel; 3 bottles of fruit juice; 6 macarons

How was the minibar?
OK. Wasn't sure if I'd actually get free mini bar, so did not indulge too much. It's got 2 small bottles of champagne, one bottle of wine, 2 beers, liquor minis, etc. No red wine.

-Good: Still got a room upgrade and free minibar on Reward stay; wasn't sure what to expect based on recent feedback

-Bad: Room wasn't the greatest (courtyard view on 2nd floor); did not get turndown service every night, and did not get water refills on second to last day.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? As long as mini bar, room upgrade, early check-in continue on Reward stays, then this hotel is a great value.

Would you return? Yes!

Last edited by VaBeachGirl; Jun 4, 2015 at 4:42 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:11 pm

Intercontinental Vienna

InterContinental Vienna

What is your Priority Club status?

Not really

Booked standard room. Received Studio Suite on smoking floor, asked for a non-smoking room, but they told me, that every suite is occupied. After a discussion, received a Junior Suite on club floor, without club access. Offered a club upgrade with a classic room, but classic rooms are really tiny.

How are the rooms?

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...nental-wien-2/

How is the exec. lounge?
No access

Sweets

Yes

Good
  • View

Bad
  • Reception not really friendly, a little bit chaotic
  • Didn't feel like a welcome guest.
  • The RA recognition made a turn for the worse. RA policy is not clear, you don't know what you get :/
  • IC needs a renovation!

Price is ok.

Would you return?
?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:28 pm

Intercontinental David Tel Aviv

InterContinental David Tel Aviv

What is your Priority Club status?

Yes

Some confusion about the pre-upgrades, but also my fault. (Had two reservations and cancelled one.)

Made a reservation for an executive room, received club suite with club access.

ATTENTION:
There are two club lounges. The executive lounge on the lobby floor, and the much better club lounge (VIP lounge) on 2nd highest floor.

How are the rooms?
Really good. Didn't expect this. Very Intercontinental like.

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...avid-tel-aviv/

How is the exec. lounge?
Amazing food. One of the best IC lounges! During shabbat and jewish holidays only cold food. Mostly vegetarian dishes and fish. The VIP lounge offers only kosher food.

Dead sea products

Yes

Good
  • Location (between Tel Aviv and Jaffa)
  • Club lounge (VIP lounge)
  • Upgrade
  • Pool (gets crowded, but guests behave well)

Bad
  • RA upgrades aren't clear; RA status is a little mystery to the employees

Expensive

Would you return?
Yes
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded

Bad
  • The RA recognition made a turn for the worse. RA policy is not clear, you don't know what you get :/
When I checked in last year they ask if I wanted an upgrade or Lounge access, I took Lounge access being there for 2 nights.

Then they told me they gave me a "complimentary" upgrade! River view... Forgot what room it was but it was small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.