Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New bonus point packages not counted toward Elite Qualifying Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

When you choose “Your Rate” on App, you can optionally add bonus points from1000 to 3000 quite recently. When I first asked IHG customer care before making reservations, they said BB will be counted toward EQP.
However, the BB was actually not posted as EQP. No matters how many times emailed IHG, they sent out meaningless replies, ended up asking again.
This issue has already been posted at Loyalty Lobby.
http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/09/30/r...te-qualifying/
Does anybody have successfully earned the EQP in this package?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I did not get any EQP when I bought up to a Bonus rate in August.

I noticed that the Bonus packages are featured in my Accelerate promo but no other benefits that I can see.

Keep in mind that I am shooting for a new 180,000 point redemption in a few months so I am starting to buy the Bonus rates just to get closer.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:21 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Anyone who has been a member for awhile would know emailing IHG is like emailing a “no” robot, total waste of time, pick up the phone and point them to their advertising:

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/glo...points-package

“Now you can get a Bonus Points Package with the lowest available rate, YOUR RATE.

These packages give you points, ranging from 1,000 to 5,000 per night in addition to the points you already earn when you stay with us. What’s more, these bonus points count towards earning and maintaining your Elite status.”

FWIW I have recently receive EQP bonus points his way.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by markis10
Anyone who has been a member for awhile would know emailing IHG is like emailing a “no” robot, total waste of time, pick up the phone and point them to their advertising:

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/glo...points-package

“Now you can get a Bonus Points Package with the lowest available rate, YOUR RATE.

These packages give you points, ranging from 1,000 to 5,000 per night in addition to the points you already earn when you stay with us. What’s more, these bonus points count towards earning and maintaining your Elite status.”

FWIW I have recently receive EQP bonus points his way.
Thank you for the link and the data point, markis10. When you write, "have recently received EQP bonus points [t]his way", do you mean automatically, or by calling in appealing? If the latter, would you let me know which dept and ideally which person you spoke to (by pm if you prefer)?

I had a similar issue. Sept 30-Oct 1, I stayed at Candlewood Suites Fredricksberg for one night, paying $150 for the 10,000 point package, specifically in order to get 10K more EQP.

My points posted this morning broken down into three categories. The first was (interestingly) described as an "Overlapping Stay", perhaps because it crossed over two quarters...? Anyway, it posted correct total and EQP points. Then the 10,000 points were a separate line item, just like the welcome amenity, described as "Hotel Promotion Bonus Points". The third and final line item was the welcome amenity.

This is the first time I've ever had this happen, having purchased several such packages in the past. The pertinent terms and conditions for EQP as of this morning at https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...care/member-tc states:

Elite Membership

1. Points for Elite Status – For purposes of determining Elite status, IHG® Rewards Club points are classified as either Qualifying Points or Non-Qualifying Points. Points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, spend on IHG® Rewards Club credit cards, select partner activity, IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages, and Qualified Spend through IHG® Business Rewards are considered Qualifying Points and are counted toward Elite status. A Qualifying Rate includes the following: non-discounted rate, standard corporate rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by the IHG reservation system. All other point earning transactions, including points earned from IHG® promotions, Elite status bonuses, activation bonuses or select promotions offered through IHG® Rewards Club credit cards, select partner promotions, point vouchers, point purchases, point transfers, and point deposits, will be considered Non-Qualifying Points and will not be counted towards Elite status.
So there's no new language that would exclude this.

Had this promotion been excluded, I would have simply redeemed 10,000 points (net 9,000 because I have an IHG card), which would have been a much better value.

TIA for any help, Dave
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveH
I had a similar issue. Sept 30-Oct 1, I stayed at Candlewood Suites Fredricksberg for one night, paying $150 for the 10,000 point package, specifically in order to get 10K more EQP.
I have written extensively in another Flyertalk thread. I will repeat here again: your rate does not qualify for 10K to be EQP.

The reason is there are 2 types of Bonus Points packages. One is IHG Rewards Club specified and the other is Hotel Specified Promotions.

IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points package is Elite Qualified whereas Hotel Specified Promotion is not.

To identify which is IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points package and which is hotel specified, you can see from rate description. IHG rewards Club Bonus Points package will give maximum 5,000 points for one night. Anything greater will be hotel specified promotion.

For example, 1,000 Bonus Points Per Night/Stay; 2,000 Bonus Points Per Night/Stay, 4,000 Bonus Points per stay or 5,000 Bonus points per stay is IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points packages which you can see from IHG App description.

10,000 Bonus Points or 15,000 Bonus Points are not IHG packages but individual hotel packages, and those bonus points are not Elite Qualifying Points. You may refer to my other posts regarding this issue.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongcao
I have written extensively in another Flyertalk thread.
This thread? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...00-points.html

Or do you refer to another?

I will repeat here again: your rate does not qualify for 10K to be EQP.

The reason is there are 2 types of Bonus Points packages. One is IHG Rewards Club specified and the other is Hotel Specified Promotions.

IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points package is Elite Qualified whereas Hotel Specified Promotion is not.

To identify which is IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points package and which is hotel specified, you can see from rate description.
Not so much. Here is the description, verbatim, of my package:

Description
IHG reward members will receive 10000 points per stay. Great package to boost you balance with IHG. Points will not apply to consecutive reservations.
Taxes and Service Charges

Taxes: 10.3% per night not included in rate effective 6 October, 2017 thru 7 October, 2017
Maximum # of Persons per Room Allowed
2 person max.
Note this is not called a "hotel promotion," anywhere. The only reference is to IHG reward members", and it being a "Great package to boost your balance."

That language, coupled with the terms and conditions I cited above, left me reassured that these would be EQP.

Last edited by DaveH; Mar 12, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The obvious difference that I can see is that it is not a 10k bonus but specifically 10k per stay

Looking at the hotel there are rates which have a highlighted

Bonus Points
YOUR RATE by IHG® Rewards Club BONUS POINTS: 1,000 Bonus Points for Every Night

The 10k rate simply states

10K POINTS PER STAY

The T&Cs only state that "IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages" are eligible to count towards status. This is not a bonus point package ( that I can see ) but specifically a earn 10k for the stay
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:26 am
Suspended

This thread? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...00-points.html

Or do you refer to another?

Not so much. Here is the description, verbatim, of my package:

Not this is not called a "hotel promotion," anywhere. The only reference is to IHG reward members", and it being a "Great package to boost your balance."

That language, coupled with the terms and conditions I cited above, left me reassured that these would be EQP.
When I say one rate is IHG Rewards Club specified and one rate is Hotel Specified Promotion is to clarify the source of the promotion. Elite Qualifying Points bonus points packages that are issued by IHG can be seen in IHG APPs introduction and IHG webpages. These bonus points package is sold by IHG and any bonus points are EQP.

Hotel specified packages are sold by individual hotel. The hotel purchase bulk of IHG rewards points from IHG and bundle it with room rate to sell to customers. The points are given as 'promotional points'. You are effectively buying the points from the hotel which bought from IHG. And such promotional points are not EQP.

It does not matter which language the hotel uses. If it is not one of packages specified by IHG, or is over 5,000 points per stay (currently the highest you can get is 5,000 points per stay with IHG Bonus Points package. However, the new package of 3,000 points per night is yet to be verified), or not state it is EQP, book with caution. It is known to many FTs that 10,000 point per stay and 15,000 points per stay is not EQP. Good luck.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:48 am

Thanks for the replies, and for the explanation RE what has been posting, chongcao.

chongcao, I don't doubt what you say--my beef is that if this is how IHG wants to treat hotel packages, they need to be disclosed as non-EQP. That's very simple to do. Anything less is misleading the customer, given the T&C.

Did I find the main thread where this is discussed, or is there someplace else you are referring to?

Would appreciate any suggestions on the appropriate person to call to address this. TIA

Last edited by DaveH; Oct 6, 2017 at 9:11 am
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:57 am

chongcao, I don't doubt what you say--my beef is that if this is how IHG wants to treat hotel packages, they need to be disclosed as on-EQP. That's very simple to do. Anything less is misleading the customer, given the T&C.
The T&C states

"IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages, and Qualified Spend through IHG® Business Rewards are considered Qualifying Points and are counted toward Elite status"

The 10k rate does not indicate that it is either of these whilst, for example, the 1000 bonus point rate clearly does
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My recent bonus point stays posted as EQP automatically. However these weren't as high as 10k bonus points. In past years I've had 10k and 11k bonus point packages post as EQP, but I don't think they do any more.

IIRC the T&Cs include a list of bonus point offers that are eligible for EQP, and this only went up to 5k.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Not all bonus points are created equal. The ones which are EQP eligible are the ones listed under the IHG best flex rate category ( with the link to "bonus points"). The ones which the individual hotels are offering as a package (some of which I've seen as high s 30K points per stay) are not. And these rates are usually further down on the listing of rates; and which you usually have to expand by clicking on the additional rates link.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
My recent bonus point stays posted as EQP automatically. However these weren't as high as 10k bonus points. In past years I've had 10k and 11k bonus point packages post as EQP, but I don't think they do any more.
Yes, I've seen reports of these posting too, and so didn't think twice about this offer posting, given that it wasn't marketed as a "hotel promotion" anywhere.

IIRC the T&Cs include a list of bonus point offers that are eligible for EQP, and this only went up to 5k.
No, there is no mention of an earnings cap in T&Cs. Just a reference to IHG rewards club packages counting as EQP, with no reference to a "hotel package" or similar as not counting.

In my case, I was mislead, and would appreciate IHG making it right.

If they want to exclude packages above 5K, or ones offered by a hotel, no problem...but just clearly state that. Not at all difficult for them to do.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:14 am

In my case, I was mislead, and would appreciate IHG making it right.

If they want to exclude packages above 5K, or ones offered by a hotel, no problem...but just clearly state that. Not at all difficult for them to do.
Your quarrel is with the hotel, IMO, not IHG.

IHG offer qualifying points packages (typically 1K-per-night or 5K-per-stay, but there are others).

Hotels, on the other hand, can do pretty much what they like, it seems they have free rein over the wording of any special rates they offer. That could be special rates which give you a free bottle of wine and breakfast (as the HI that I most often use offers), or hotel-derived extra points packages. In the latter case, unless they specifically say they're qualifying points, assume they're not.

NB, the hotel I use only offers 1K-per-day packages officially. If you go via IHG's own "bonus point package" links* they also show a 5K-per-stay package. I suspect that works for other hotels too!

* I use this one, but there will be others.

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/glob...es/pcr_package

The wording on that page is explicit:

"When you book an IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Package, you can earn up to 5,000 bonus points on your stay at a participating hotel."
(My emphasis)

and

"Don't forget, the bonus points you earn from a Bonus Points Packages count toward earning & maintaining Elite status"

That said, the full list of potential packages is as follows - found on the terms and conditions section on the above link. Note the 10K for 7 days option - I've not seen that one offered anywhere I've been to.

5,000 bonus points for stay between 4 and 6 nights
10,000 bonus points for 7-night consecutive stay
2,000 bonus points per stay
3,000 bonus points per stay
4,000 bonus points per stay
5,000 bonus points per stay
2,000 bonus points for 2-night consecutive stay
3,000 bonus points for 4-night consecutive stay
4,000 bonus points for 7-night consecutive stay
1,000 bonus points per stay
3,000 bonus points for 3-night consecutive stay
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:38 pm

Yes, I've seen reports of these posting too, and so didn't think twice about this offer posting, given that it wasn't marketed as a "hotel promotion" anywhere.
It was not marketed as being an IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points Package

It is specifically "IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points Package" rates that are listed in the T&Cs as being eligible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.