FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New bonus point packages not counted toward Elite Qualifying Points?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalker688786
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveH
This thread? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...00-points.html

Or do you refer to another?

Not so much. Here is the description, verbatim, of my package:

Not this is not called a "hotel promotion," anywhere. The only reference is to IHG reward members", and it being a "Great package to boost your balance."

That language, coupled with the terms and conditions I cited above, left me reassured that these would be EQP.
When I say one rate is IHG Rewards Club specified and one rate is Hotel Specified Promotion is to clarify the source of the promotion. Elite Qualifying Points bonus points packages that are issued by IHG can be seen in IHG APPs introduction and IHG webpages. These bonus points package is sold by IHG and any bonus points are EQP.

Hotel specified packages are sold by individual hotel. The hotel purchase bulk of IHG rewards points from IHG and bundle it with room rate to sell to customers. The points are given as 'promotional points'. You are effectively buying the points from the hotel which bought from IHG. And such promotional points are not EQP.

It does not matter which language the hotel uses. If it is not one of packages specified by IHG, or is over 5,000 points per stay (currently the highest you can get is 5,000 points per stay with IHG Bonus Points package. However, the new package of 3,000 points per night is yet to be verified), or not state it is EQP, book with caution. It is known to many FTs that 10,000 point per stay and 15,000 points per stay is not EQP. Good luck.