Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" RA qualifiying limits as of June 1st, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:07 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
As I've written here before, I was downgraded at the end of May with 56 total/38 IC paid nights. Too lazy to find my own message, but IIRC we stayed in 8 different ICs in the States, Europe, Bali and Japan. Just burned about 400K points in June and asked them to cancel my PC account, still waiting for a reply.
As mentioned in another thread, I received the downgrade letter 2 months in advance for an expiration at the end of July. At the time, my stats were:

- a total of 48 paid nights,
- out of which 32 nights were at 7 different ICs

I have now reached
- 54 paid nights
- out of which 33 nights were at 8 different ICs

There has been no extension of the RA status at this stage, but I hope to barely make it to 60 by the end of the month and ask for an extension.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:07 am

I think revenue can play a role. I always spent my points in the highest of seasons, often in completely sold out places. It cost them up to $300 or €300 per night to reimburse hotels.
I looked back over your older posts. I saw that you posted a month and a half before your RA expiration that you got the downgrade letter with 56 IHG nights. I'm really surprised you didn't try to get another 4 nights in the next month and a half to try to requalify. That must have been rough, and I certainly would have dumped IHG if I were in your shoes as well.

FWIW, from all the reading of previous posts I've done, I see no evidence that revenue plays a role in requalifying for RA. Or at least not the revenue IHG pays out for award stays.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
There has been no extension of the RA status at this stage, but I hope to barely make it to 60 by the end of the month and ask for an extension.
That's definitely a good number to aim for. And FWIW, if you want to make it easier on yourself and get an automatic extension (hopefully), then I'd suggest that all 60 of your stays have POSTED to your acct by about least July 25th or so. Which means your final checkout should be around July 20th to be safe.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:18 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I'm really surprised you didn't try to get another 4 nights in the next month and a half to try to requalify.
I was tired of their opaque requirements. Yes, it was possible to stay somewhere, but I was repeatedly told they can't guarantee that my planned stays would be enough to requalify. With HI rates in Moscow it's way too expensive to do a mattress run.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:04 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
That's definitely a good number to aim for. And FWIW, if you want to make it easier on yourself and get an automatic extension (hopefully), then I'd suggest that all 60 of your stays have POSTED to your acct by about least July 25th or so. Which means your final checkout should be around July 20th to be safe.
Thanks for the warning ^
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:20 am

I was renewed for a June expiry with 55 nights in the relevant year in the end. I was renewed before a few of those had posted though.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I have now reached
- 54 paid nights
- out of which 33 nights were at 8 different ICs
Is it 54 paid nights before expiration date or after last renewal date (my expiration date is September 2009, but renewal date was 9 August 2008, which can make a huge difference in terms of qualifying nights)

Last edited by nicolas75; Jul 1, 2009 at 2:51 am
Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Is it 54 paid nights before expiration date or after last renewal date (my expiration date is September 2009, but renewal date was 9 August 2008, which can make a huge difference in terms of qualifying nights)
Well, I was renewed exactly at the end of my membership year, so in my case, no difference, at least this year .
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: priorityclub, spg, egyptair, hilton hhonours
Alright I'm not a RA but I'm a Platinum Ambassador, However I have never made 50 nights a year, last year (Feb 07/Jan 08) I had 32 nights in IC brand and 4 nights in the other ICH properties, I guess it is really unfair to give the RA tier to a guy who stays 2 nights/year only in IC Brand while someone like me never qualifies for such a Tier...I really don't see what kind of benefits you can get say for example in HI if you are a RA???....
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by pirate01
I really don't see what kind of benefits you can get say for example in HI if you are a RA???....
Precisely...
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by pirate01
I guess it is really unfair to give the RA tier to a guy who stays 2 nights/year only in IC Brand while someone like me never qualifies for such a Tier
It's a price we pay for combined Six Continents and Priority Club programs.

P.S. Finally, my PC account was cancelled, so I'm switching all my stays to a rival chain.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:22 am

I looked back over your older posts. I saw that you posted a month and a half before your RA expiration that you got the downgrade letter with 56 IHG nights. I'm really surprised you didn't try to get another 4 nights in the next month and a half to try to requalify. That must have been rough, and I certainly would have dumped IHG if I were in your shoes as well.

FWIW, from all the reading of previous posts I've done, I see no evidence that revenue plays a role in requalifying for RA. Or at least not the revenue IHG pays out for award stays.
Keep in mind it's a rolling 365 day window. One could have had 56 nights at the first review but still need more than 4 nights to requalify, depending on how long they wait to get those extra nights.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P.S. Finally, my PC account was cancelled.
Why was your account canceled? Was this involuntary?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I've asked them to cancel it, i.e. I decided to vote with my wallet. The last straw was my recent disappointing stay at Le Grand.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Probably because he was disgusted with staying 56 nights in a year and being downgraded and having to play these silly little games like counting nights and numbers. I would take my business elsewhere if I had to screw around with them over being downgraded after 56 nights with 32 being in an IC also. The benefits are not THAT great, yet they treat it like this big secret, and especially given the economy now, it is surprising that they are being so stingy to good customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.