Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by stimpy
I know of only two ways. Hack the IHG website or call Ambassador Services. Guess which one is easier?
Thank you Stimpy. I called and got the number. Its 57 including 10 IC stays. I however got the letter.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Frankly, it is their program and they can do as they wish regarding the number of nights/chains/etc that they require to requalify. However, it is HIGHLY annoying that they don't publish this or at least tell you roughly how many nights you need to get to their top tier. I too will probably dump IHG if I don't get my RA renewel after my 7 "end of June" nights post and I call in to grovel next week. It's really not worth the aggravation and stress not knowing what you need to do to requalify.

If they want to base it fully on IC stays (which I agree, they probably should), then fine. If they want to base it on total IHG stays with a minimum number of IC stays, then fine too. If they want to base it on the top 1% of something, then that is also fine. If they want to even base it on a certain minimum revenue, FINE. But publish the freaking requirements (or at least what got people qualified the previous year if they go the top 1% route) so that we know what we need to do to requalify!!!!
Completely agree. IHG targets frequent stayers and high spenders, who by definition travel often, and are likely members of a number of frequent traveller programs.
Forcing this group to grovel and track stays against some amorphous target is not smart business.

The IHG approach makes me feel like I am doing them a favor by spending money at their hotels. I have done about 50 IHG nights in the last 9 months, but I am calculating how and when to exit as I just couldn't be bothered with the uncertainty.

The other hotel groups are just better organized and clearer in what it takes to achieve and retain status.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by gleff
Disagree, I would rank:

IC RA
Hyatt Diamond (with new confirmed suite upgrades, free internet, matching SPG on the redemption side)
SPG Plat
Marriott Plat
Hilton Diamond

Sadly Marriott and Hilton, two at the bottom of the pack, are most uniquitous in terms of properties -- so whether you can take advantage of the better programs really depends on your travel patterns.

The things that really make IC RA shine are delivering on suites, minibar, and early checkin.

Hyatt now is getting better about suites. SPG plat is good, but is so darn property dependent on whether or not they deliver.

Marriott and Hilton may occasionally deliver a suite, but the programs themselves specifically say suites are not part of the upgrade benefit
Of course it depends what ones personal preference is. I do agree your assessment about Hilton/Marriott.

You get FOUR confirmable Hyatt suites upgrades each up to four nights per year. You do not get unlimited suite upgrades. Some properties upgrade Diamonds to suites and some not. It is entirely property specific. I have been Hyatt Diamond for the past five years or so. Personally I would rank Hyatt Diamond below SPG PLT.

Last edited by holtju2; Jul 3, 2009 at 1:17 am
Old Jul 3, 2009, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by holtju2
Of course it depends what ones personal preference is. I do agree your assessment about Hilton/Marriott.

You get FOUR conformable Hyatt suites upgrades each up to four nights per year. You do not get unlimited suite upgrades. Some properties upgrade Diamonds to suites and some not. It is entirely property specific. I have been Hyatt Diamond for the past five years or so. Personally I would rank Hyatt Diamond below SPG PLT.
And it depends heavily on what hotels you go to. Each chain has some great hotels and some not-so-great hotels. If you frequent the great ones, your opinion will be swayed to that chain.

FWIW I too rank SPG higher than Hyatt, because they have a much richer set of high end properties for me to spend my points at. In any case, the two chains that I put effort into renewing top elite in each year are IC and SPG.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:12 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Frankly, it is their program and they can do as they wish regarding the number of nights/chains/etc that they require to requalify. However, it is HIGHLY annoying that they don't publish this or at least tell you roughly how many nights you need to get to their top tier. I too will probably dump IHG if I don't get my RA renewel after my 7 "end of June" nights post and I call in to grovel next week. It's really not worth the aggravation and stress not knowing what you need to do to requalify.

If they want to base it fully on IC stays (which I agree, they probably should), then fine. If they want to base it on total IHG stays with a minimum number of IC stays, then fine too. If they want to base it on the top 1% of something, then that is also fine. If they want to even base it on a certain minimum reveneue, FINE. But publish the freaking requirements (or at least what got people qualified the previous year if they go the top 1% route) so that we know what we need to do to requalify!!!!
I agree that it would be helpful (including for me !) to have a better understanding of the requirements.

Still, the Ambassador programme is not the only loyalty programme that has a top tier status by invitation only and without published requirements. AF, for Club 2000, and BA for Premier, choose not to make the requirements public. LH, for HON, has taken a different approach.

I believe it is the responsibility of the provider (hotel or airline) to take this decision, upon which, as a customer, I will base my own decisions. For RA, my personal approach is that I will try to stick with it. If, finally, I am not renewed, I can also reconsider my approach.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by havepointswilltravel
Its 57 including 10 IC stays. I however got the letter.
Are they trying to get some short-term gains, but pay for it in the long run? Looks like they encourage people to stay more, but it cost them my business, plus I will never recommend IHG hotels for my friends and colleagues.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:30 pm

I am seriously considering trying some other programs. I have been extremely "faithful" to ICH to the extent that I have not stayed at any other chain in the last 3 years. The only reason I am this "faithful" is being able to check in at IC properties as early as 8 am as an RA which is very nice especially after those long haul red eye flights to Asia.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
I am seriously considering trying some other programs. I have been extremely "faithful" to ICH to the extent that I have not stayed at any other chain in the last 3 years. The only reason I am this "faithful" is being able to check in at IC properties as early as 8 am as an RA which is very nice especially after those long haul red eye flights to Asia.
I also had been "extremely" faithful to ICH, but have been switching to Hilton Hhonors from the beginning of this year. Even Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn in GENERAL are much more nicer, cleaner and cheaper than HI or HIX at IHG. HI and HIX are too expensive and a lot of properties are very trashy! IHG is going to lose my business. I already qualified as HH diamond for next year with 60 nights back in the middle of June and am happy with it!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 1:15 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by JOUY31
AF, for Club 2000, and BA for Premier, choose not to make the requirements public.
It may be difficult to dump an airline program, so their top statuses are nice to have, but nothing more. I, for example, even with a status match can't switch from Sky Team to Star Alliance. They are absolutely not suitable for my trips. As for hotel chains, it's very easy to change them at any time.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:56 pm

Thank you Stimpy. I called and got the number. Its 57 including 10 IC stays. I however got the letter.
Wow, 57 nights and you got the letter? It's looking more and more like the magic number has in fact been changed from 50 nights (prior to June 1, 2009) to 60 IHG nights per year to requalify for IC RA.

Did you get your downgrade letter at the 9-month mark or right when your RA was due to expire? I would be shocked if you got it at the 9-month mark if your stay activity was that high. But in fact it is somewhat better to get the downgrade letter at 9-months IMHO so you can make a decision whether or not to step it up and go for it in the final 3 months of your RA year or to just throw in the towel on the program and give up.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:49 pm

At the 9 month mark it was around 49 nights.The 57 nights figure was as of end of June. I have 12 more nights scheduled in July mostly in ICs in Europe, Australia and Vietnam.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 2:32 am

So you really got the downgrade letter based on 49 nights then? That's not so bad then. I thought you either got downgraded with 57 nights (at the end of your Amb year), or else you received the downgrade letter (9 months into Amb year) with 57 nights. Sounds like you shouldn't have a problem requalifying..................but who knows anymore these days.................................
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:18 am

So you really got the downgrade letter based on 49 nights then? That's not so bad then. I thought you either got downgraded with 57 nights (at the end of your Amb year), or else you received the downgrade letter (9 months into Amb year) with 57 nights. Sounds like you shouldn't have a problem requalifying..................but who knows anymore these days.................................
The funny thing is that not only does it appear they have raised the level needed to requal, but they also made it harder as they threw out so many promos that make your stays nonqual, i.e. Friends and Family. So, people who stayed at discounted rates get absolutely nothing for the stay AND they need even MORE full price stays to qualify. I mean, I am sure most people likely used the FF rate at least a little.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antonius66
The funny thing is that not only does it appear they have raised the level needed to requal, but they also made it harder as they threw out so many promos that make your stays nonqual, i.e. Friends and Family. So, people who stayed at discounted rates get absolutely nothing for the stay AND they need even MORE full price stays to qualify. I mean, I am sure most people likely used the FF rate at least a little.
Pay more to get more? What a shock! Don't tell the airlines!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.