Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points and Cash: New reward nights options Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: Royal Ambassador Priority Club, Silver Elite goldpointsplus, Gold SPG, Diamond Hyatt
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes. If you pay 15,000 points and $60 for a room, you will be refunded 25,000 points and $0.

Interesting point above about the 40,000 point annual limit. Does this count towards it or not? I guess not.
Excellent just spent £39.16 for 10,000 points which makes a lot of sense to me.

Might do a few more.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:55 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!

Last edited by AJLondon; Jun 10, 2009 at 1:36 pm Reason: Resolved!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:02 pm

Last edited by AJLondon; Jun 10, 2009 at 1:36 pm Reason: Resolved
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: Royal Ambassador Priority Club, Silver Elite goldpointsplus, Gold SPG, Diamond Hyatt
u should have been charged $120 for 20,000 PC points and used 30,000 PC points from your account. When you cancelled you should have received $0 back and 50,000 PC points into your pc account.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by g00ner
u should have been charged $120 for 20,000 PC points and used 30,000 PC points from your account. When you cancelled you should have received $0 back and 50,000 PC points into your pc account.
Exactly!

Last edited by AJLondon; Jun 10, 2009 at 1:37 pm
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I'm getting a message after I submit a cash + points option for reservation "We are sorry, you do not have enough points for this Reward Night. Learn how you can purchase points or transfer points to your account."

This is not true, I do have enough points. Is there any way around this problem?

Edit to add:
Worked when I used a CC already saved to my account.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:32 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Currently I don't think it enforces the 40K limit on points purchases. I tried a booking where I would buy 70K points and it goes nicely all the way to the purchase site telling me that I agree to a 420 USD charge etc. Of course I don't want to buy them for now so it may still fail ultimately but my feeling tells me that it will go through just fine.

I second people's concerns on the repercussions of this and actually think no points purchases at all should count for status and if a reservation is cancelled the points should be removed and the chareg refunded, but then many others may disagree. Also it looks like ICHG sees this as a quick cash generator but some didn't think this through to the end I feel. Benefits are already so watered down, if now you can have a reliable 0.6 cent per point generator to restock your account and get Plat (+ bought Amb) for money then what is the purpose of staying at ICHG hotels for points collection anyway?

I just make award reservations with the points purchase option ... yada yada yada - you get the idea. One wonders. (Edited: on request I removed the quite detailed description of what one has to do to exploit this option)

Oh btw, if other posters would like me to remove sections of my post to limit people taking advantage of this loophole then please let me know. I will do so though I don't think it takes lots of brains to figure it out. Cheers

Last edited by demue; Jun 11, 2009 at 11:50 pm
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Does anyone know what kind of fee they are talking about? I found this under the terms that show up under the reward points booking options (I don't think it was there before). Anyone who cancelled check their CC?

"10. Priority Club members who cancel their Reward Night reservation will have their points used for that reservation re-deposited into the member's Priority Club account, and may be subjected to a processing fee. Priority Club members who do not cancel their Reward Night reservation by the cancellation deadline and do not use their reservation (no-show) are still subject to a no-show charge for the first night of the reservation, plus tax, per room, billed to the credit card used to guarantee the reservation upon booking. The points redeemed for the no-showed Reward Night reservation will be re-deposited into the member's Priority Club account."
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zacktravel
Does anyone know what kind of fee they are talking about? I found this under the terms that show up under the reward points booking options (I don't think it was there before). Anyone who cancelled check their CC?
In practice, you are only charged a fee if you cancel after the cancellation deadline as noted on your reservation.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold,Amex Cent,IC RA,HH Diamond,Marriott Gold,Hyatt Dia,LH FTL,CX Diam,FB Plat
I just booked 6 nights in a room for 5000pts+$60 per night and was told that 30000 points would be deducted from my account and 60000 points paid cash.When I look into my account,I find that they deducted 60000 points instead of 30000 and list 6 nights/15000 in my account.If I should cancel this stay,how many points will be refunded?

btw:still no free nights in my account,although having talked and written to Te European and the US customer service.They apologize and say it`s difficult and they`re still working at fixing the mistake.
I get the impression that the PC system doesn`t like me.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
"it will be interesting to watch this evolve.
The floodgates are now open; this thread will grow quickly "!
I guess I was wrong.

Am shocked how well this remains under the mainstream radar,
only mentioned in the "lucky" blog so far.

I have bought 30K for $180, in three spaced transactions.
It is good to be spaced.

We will see if it still looks smart after a bit of time.......
I fantasize my purchase will turn into 6x PB nights at some lovely IC for $30/night.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Jun 15, 2009 at 12:01 am
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
So basically we're able to buy 5k or 10k PC pts per award redemption at 0.6 cents apiece rather than 1.0 (or is it 1.1) cents apiece? Hmmm, that's a tough call there!!! What to do?!?!? SPG Cash & Points is ALWAYS the best way to go IMHO. This PC C&P is a close call though IMHO..............................I think I might hafta buy the pts at 0.6 cents apiece...........^
I agree except where you can pay for four and get five nights. Then points alone is superior, I think.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: AY plat, EB gold, LH Sen
I bought (well, points+cash, followed by a cancellation) 25000 points. That took me over the Platinum Status mark. The points show fine in my points total. However, my status is stuck at Gold!
The gold status upgrade was instant online but it never changed to Platinum

The "Other Activity" shows I earned 25,000 points. now if all earned points count towards status, surely, i should be Platinum or am I missing something here
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: IHG Spire for what its worth
Originally Posted by mahajanvikas
I bought (well, points+cash, followed by a cancellation) 25000 points. That took me over the Platinum Status mark. The points show fine in my points total. However, my status is stuck at Gold!
The gold status upgrade was instant online but it never changed to Platinum

The "Other Activity" shows I earned 25,000 points. now if all earned points count towards status, surely, i should be Platinum or am I missing something here
You didn't earn them?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:35 am

If normal point purchases count to your PC status then so should these reward night points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.