Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points and Cash: New reward nights options Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Van_Looy
@morepointsplease

Wow, very honest response. As a clarification, I don't think that you did something against the rules, hence you should get your points back.
I just feel that if hundreds of flyertalkers would repeatedly cancel/book rooms, it would ring some bells in priorityclub, which is the case apparently, unless it was jut a glitch.
thanks Van_Looy - yes, i understand your concerns and certainly hope nothing changes based on our actions here
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Van_Looy
You are not naive, just greedy.
As such actions spoil it for the rest of us,
forgive me for not having any sympathy.
Please give some evidence of how anyone's use of this
new option spoiled anything for the "rest of us".

Well, there isn't any, so never mind.....

Last edited by MrHalliday; Jul 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Does the $30 or $60 cash portions make the night count as a stay? And do I earn PC points on the dollars paid? My current assumption is No and No.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Does the $30 or $60 cash portions make the night count as a stay? And do I earn PC points on the dollars paid? My current assumption is No and No.
Yes its No and No.

I booked 5 nights ( 1 booking) and cancelled it. Was charged $300 and got 50K points. And using this booking it is not a qualifying stay ( reason for cancellation).
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Me2Earth
Yes its No and No.

I booked 5 nights ( 1 booking) and cancelled it. Was charged $300 and got 50K points. And using this booking it is not a qualifying stay ( reason for cancellation).
Thanks. While I like having this new option (thanks PC!), my "angle" is if I'm willing to pay $60 (and 5K points) then there's also my priceline thresshold. If I can't beat $60 then might as well go the PC award route.

If going the PC route somehow earned stay/point/elite credit then the math would've been harder. But now it's pretty straight-forward.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
It looks like the point and $ combinations have taken down. I am not finding any. Anyone else?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
It looks like the point and $ combinations have taken down. I am not finding any. Anyone else?
Same here.

Maybe they're fixing this giant loophole. Points & Cash would be a great addition to the program, but this loophole was too large and needs to be addressed. The cash portion should be refundable and the points reversed if the reservation is canceled. Alternatively, they should set it up like SPG, where the hotel collects and keeps the cash. Either way would add value without setting us up for a massive devaluation and/or angering hotel owners/operators.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Same here.

Maybe they're fixing this giant loophole. Points & Cash would be a great addition to the program, but this loophole was too large and needs to be addressed. The cash portion should be refundable and the points reversed if the reservation is canceled. Alternatively, they should set it up like SPG, where the hotel collects and keeps the cash. Either way would add value without setting us up for a massive devaluation and/or angering hotel owners/operators.
Why not just make the reservation non-refundable?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not just make the reservation non-refundable?
That would solve the loophole but would be customer unfriendly.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
I was about to direct you back to posts 113 - 116, but I've just tried myself, and can't find the points and cash option any more. Darn!

Oh well - it was nice while it lasted. Should've spent more time at my PC during the offer though
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
I am still seeing the points + cash rates...
To complete this Reward Night booking, I agree to have $30.00 per night for a total of $30.00 charged to the credit card I've specified above for the immediate purchase of 5,000 total points which will be applied towards this Reward Night booking. This point purchase fee is non-refundable.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elron938
I am still seeing the points + cash rates...
They're back online. I guess it was just a glitch. I'm still hoping for a fix.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:58 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
They're back online. I guess it was just a glitch. I'm still hoping for a fix.
What type of fix are you looking for?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by EdV
What type of fix are you looking for?
He explained his suggestions in post #139
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:20 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
He explained his suggestions in post #139
Oh thanks for pointing that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.