Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points and Cash: New reward nights options Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
I think this is an excellent new offer by PC. While I do not stay at any of their hotel, other than IC brand, I like the option of paying $60 and using only 30k points. Thank you PC.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
I think this is an excellent new offer by PC.
Except that it doesn't work (yet).
I just tried again.
This might need a few days to "mature".
Old Jun 8, 2009, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Except that it doesn't work (yet).
I just tried again.
This might need a few days to "mature".
It does work. However, you need to search hotel by location, instead of using hotels in your saved or favorite or directly from the specific hotel home page.

Go into reservation general, select country and city and reward booking, date, the list that will come up will show each available location with teh points and points+ cash option.

It does not work if you first go to (i.e.) London Park lane Hotel and then try and find reward availbility.

Good luck.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Originally Posted by NYCbustravelguy
It does work. However, you need to search hotel by location, instead of using hotels in your saved or favorite or directly from the specific hotel home page.

Go into reservation general, select country and city and reward booking, date, the list that will come up will show each available location with teh points and points+ cash option.

It does not work if you first go to (i.e.) London Park lane Hotel and then try and find reward availbility.

Good luck.
I think he meant the processing of the transaction
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
With this new feature, currently people cannot book PointBreak hotels. May it be that this feature will REPLACE PointBreaks?!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edison
With this new feature, currently people cannot book PointBreak hotels. May it be that this feature will REPLACE PointBreaks?!
Unlikely. It looks like a programming glitch. I'm sure PBs are excluded from Cash and Pointsm and something seems to have gone wrong in that programming to allow for regular redemptions only. Cash and Points aren't actually confirmable at this point, either.

IHG has never shown itself to be masterful programmers.

In the meantime, if you need a PB reservation, call PCR; they should be able to book it for you.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Unlikely. It looks like a programming glitch. I'm sure PBs are excluded from Cash and Pointsm and something seems to have gone wrong in that programming to allow for regular redemptions only. Cash and Points aren't actually confirmable at this point, either.

IHG has never shown itself to be masterful programmers.

In the meantime, if you need a PB reservation, call PCR; they should be able to book it for you.
Not sure how unlikely it is, consider that PointBreaks was created when IHG decided to increase the points required for many of their hotels, especially the ones in premium locations, so that PC members won't get too "ticked off". Now with this new "option" they may say the program is "enhanced" so that all hotels are available with reduced point requirements anytime rather than requiring people having to wait for PBs?

Hopefully the issue with booking online on PB hotels are simply a coincidence rather than a plan.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edison
Hopefully the issue with booking online on PB hotels are simply a coincidence rather than a plan.
Well, for one thing, they added Cash and Points without removing PointBreaks from the T&C. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/.../0/en/ptc.html

Furthermore, the award night booking glitch appears to affect 10K pt/night properties as well as PB (5K/nt) properties. This makes sense given my theory of a conflict between cash & points and these properties--for PBs, they can't have any cash & points options, while for 10K/nt properties, only the +$30 option would work.

I am, though, definitely lukewarm about Cash and Points because I think the glaring point purchase loophole will accelerate point inflation/devaluation.

While PBs may not last forever, I don't think Cash and Points are a direct replacement.

It looks like they're working on a fix. Both the PB and 10K properties are bookable if you choose the points amount from the city search results page.

Last edited by soitgoes; Jun 8, 2009 at 9:11 pm
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If this will be an addition to PB then I agree that it may be usefull in sme cities for some properties. if it is going to replace PB in the longer run then that would seriously make me think about putting more stays toward other programs to balance it better.

Overall you really need to do a lil math and see what works for you. My rule of thumb is trying to get 1cent per point so 15K for 150USD rate. Anything better is great, below not really worth it. Here you buy 1point for 0.006USD (round half a cent) which is not bad, but needs to be seen in relation to the overall rate.

For example, using this option for the CP Gurgaon which can go for 300 USD a night it would be a good deal if you plan on using ponts as it costs you 15K points and 60USD. For other places like the CP CGK or KUL the normal rates are so low that it would be insane to redeem for points either way (unless on PB )
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I don't believe that IC will allow this offer to degenerate into an unlimited points generation machine @.6cpm. $240 for a night at the ICs in Thalasso, Amstel, Paris, and $30 for a pointbreaks night? Unlikely to happen, but I have no problem exploiting this loophole while it's open. ^
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:53 am
Suspended

I just booked the IC Montreal for 3 nights in August using the points and cash. res went through with no CC issues.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:57 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I've just emailed the Crowne Plaza Darling Harbour (Sydney) asking if they can change my rate from points only to points+$60. Does anyone know whether they'll be able to do this? My stay starts in just over 2 weeks and I'm a bit nervous about cancelling and rebooking (perhaps naively? It's only my second ever PC redemption). This is perfect timing for me, as I can claw back 50 points over the 5 nights ^ Thanks IHG (and FT)!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It has nothing to do with the hotel (which is a franchise) - this is an IHG / PC issue. If reward nights are still showing, you need to cancel your original booking and make a new one.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Alternatively just book another hotel for 5 nights, buy the points and then cancel the booking. Same net effect to your points balance.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
I don't believe that IC will allow this offer to degenerate into an unlimited points generation machine @.6cpm. $240 for a night at the ICs in Thalasso, Amstel, Paris, and $30 for a pointbreaks night? Unlikely to happen, but I have no problem exploiting this loophole while it's open. ^
My only fear is that part of the 'solution' will involve raising point levels for award nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.