Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Center (after refurbishment) [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Center (after refurbishment) [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 12:38 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

To the best of my knowledge the refurbishment has been completed it might be nice if we could get the kind assistance of our helpful moderators to edit the thread title to New refurbishment completed at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam
Or something that may seem fit
Otherwise potential guests may not be clear or up to date fully when considering a booking at this property that their stay might be otherwise interrupted by ongoing renovation construction

Does anyone else agree that would be helpful here to the PC community?
At the very least a thread merger if a previous thread exists
I know I had difficulty prior to my stay what to expect and after seeing some nice photos of the property was determined to give them a try and bring relevant information forward
Old May 19, 2010, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Just received this email from the Account manager of the Crowne plaza Amsterdam City Centre

Dear Nicolas75

I hope you are well.

My name is XX and I am the Account Manager for the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.
I received your below email via my Director of Sales and am keen to get in touch with you.

Though we no longer offer complimentary access to the Club Lounge to our Platinum guests we do appreciate that benefits should be offered and therefore we have come up with several benefits, which I hope will please you.

As a Platinum member we offer you:
- a welcome gift;
- a complimentary drinks voucher;
- 20% discount off Valet parking, Internet and Telephone calls
- 1 complimentary breakfast voucher per stay
- 50% discount off breakfast from the remainder of your stay

Not all of the IHG properties offer these benefits, this is something we have decided to customise specifically for our Platinum members.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and please do mail me if you would be interested or if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

Have a lovely day!

Best regards
XX Account Manager
CROWNE PLAZA Amsterdam City Centre
Old May 19, 2010, 7:01 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I stayed here in March. I am Plat and I got the breakfast free one day (as did my husband who is nothing () - he leaves "elitism" to me!) and half price the next day. That said breakfast at E25 each is rather steep. Even with "Champagne" (Cremant de Bourgonge") on tap.

I was bowled over at the efficiency and pleasant nature of check-in. We were upgraded to an Executive Room and shown to the room by one of the desk staff. It was big even by American standards and very clean and comfortable. Everything worked although the coffee machine requires an apprecticeship in plumbing to figure out. It uses these capsules and I am not used to that. The drawers were very stiff to move - but that apart we slept like logs.

The restaurant "Dorrius" I remember from years ago on night stops back in the eighties and the food is delicious - the prices reasonable and the service charming.

I could not fault this hotel and frankly was extremely good value for money IMHO - I can recommend it unconditionally.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:27 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thanks for sharing your experience.Did you not read your 40 page coffee machine tutorial in Dutch?
I did not experience dinner there (mostly as the menu choices were not all that appealing to me)
The breakfasts were satisfactory though a cut below in the baking department(pastries/muffins which is typical of many hotels in Holland.All in all I too can safely recommend the property as a desirable choice
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I just realized that Platinums do not get lounge access
Old Nov 26, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: Royal Platinum Ambassador
But if you bet a brekfast voucher and 50% off the breakfast you have a even better breakfast than in the clublounge. Is it possible to get breakfast for two days free if your second person has also platinum status?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Kathabene
But if you bet a brekfast voucher and 50% off the breakfast you have a even better breakfast than in the clublounge. Is it possible to get breakfast for two days free if your second person has also platinum status?
Not so good on multiple day stays, of course, and I miss being able to enjoy a few drinks on the terrace of the old club lounge before setting off for a night out.

I'm curious about the welcome gift mentioned by a few posters above - I didn't get anything on a recent stay, and the card provided at check in didn't mention it either.

This is still a good, well located hotel at a reasonable price for Amsterdam - much as I love the IC Amstel, even as an RA I find it impossible to justify the extra cost of the rooms there (600EUR per night compared to 170EUR for the dates of my last stay, for example - that buys an awful lot of drinks from the minibar ).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just checked in and I am disappointed that my Plat status does not get you much here...Ok, I knew that I do not get lounge access (which still sucks) but I was under the impression that I do get a breakfast voucher for each day and the guest pays 50%...No, it is a breakfast voucher per stay...which feels like nickel and diming me...Then I was supposed to get a drink voucher which was not included and I have to go ask for it. I was told I was upgraded from a standard room to a Club room....which is supposed to be more luxurious I guess. It is a nice room but it does have TWO connecting doors which I always despised as I feel like I need to be quieter or some drunk will want to come in...as it happened to me once many years ago in another hotel in Vegas

My disapointment was evident in my face and the check in employee kindly asked for the Guest Relations Manager to stop by who was "Here is the card for the benefits for our Platinum members" which confirmed my initial hunch that Platinum just does not get you much in PC.

So, this property has not done much to create the lovely fuzzy feeling like yu are really wanted here.

The welcome gift is a bottle of red water named SPA BARISART...Sparkling Natural Mineral Water....I am actually scared to drink it, looks like some kind of cheap sweetener.

I will check out the breakfast tomorrow and see if it is worth going again and paying 50%.

And the 19.95 euro Internet charge per 24 hrs just puts the icing on this property....

Hope it goes up from here!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:09 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

SPA water is a well known brand, although not to everyone's taste I suppose. I think it's in all of the rooms - they used to provide two bottles, one still and one sparkling.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:29 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

SPA water is a well known brand, although not to everyone's taste I suppose. I think it's in all of the rooms - they used to provide two bottles, one still and one sparkling.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Quick question - is there a pool at this property? Tripadvisor says yes, and reviews on some other sites say yes, but there is no mention on the PC website and I cannot find a photo of this mysterious pool anywhere. I thought some people were confusing it with the airport CP but that is clearly not the case from some reports.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:46 am

I was just there and did not see a pool...then again, I did not look for one! I saw the exercise room and I just don't know where they will stick a pool in this property
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: PC.plat BA Skywards
Originally Posted by Raffles
Quick question - is there a pool at this property? Tripadvisor says yes, and reviews on some other sites say yes, but there is no mention on the PC website and I cannot find a photo of this mysterious pool anywhere. I thought some people were confusing it with the airport CP but that is clearly not the case from some reports.
There used to be a pool - it was located in the basement just across from the gym equipment. Last time I went (just over a year ago) there was walls all around where it used to be so probably just a storage room now. Most disappointing as I used to enjoy a swim there. Also disappointed to hear there is no longer club lounge access to Platinum members - have always had access to the lounge here
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Jennie1st
There used to be a pool - it was located in the basement just across from the gym equipment. Last time I went (just over a year ago) there was walls all around where it used to be so probably just a storage room now. Most disappointing as I used to enjoy a swim there. Also disappointed to hear there is no longer club lounge access to Platinum members - have always had access to the lounge here
Thanks Jennie1st - this is a shame as our little 'un loves a pool! Looks like I'll have to do the Amstel instead (although some recent TripAdvisor reviews are shockingly bad).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
Thanks Jennie1st - this is a shame as our little 'un loves a pool! Looks like I'll have to do the Amstel instead (although some recent TripAdvisor reviews are shockingly bad).
I'll be there 2nd weekend in Feb...let me know if you'll be there then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.