Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Carlton Cannes Master Thread [merged] - rebranded as Regent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
I am being quoted £75 for hiring a basic compact car for 24 hours.

Where can I get a good pre-paid deal?

Especially for the Cabriolet you have mentioned.
Looking up a dummy one day with travel jig it's about 80 EUR for cheapest option. 3 day weekend is only 10 EUR more expensive, so I guess they have a lot of extra taxes/surcharges.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:17 pm
Company Representative - InterContinental Hotels

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Closed for Renovation - 16Aug2012 to 01May2013

InterContinental Carlton Cannes Update – We are very pleased to inform you the InterContinental Carlton Hotel in Cannes will benefit from a complete transformation and makeover in the upcoming year. This includes an extensive and total renovation of the existing hotel. A total closure of the hotel is confirmed between August 16, 2012 and May 01, 2013.

Kevin
IHGCare
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
That's good news. Hopefully they do a good job of it!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by stimpy
That's good news. Hopefully they do a good job of it!
I am a bit pessimistic when looking at the residence built at the rear of the main historical building (very poor architecture).

I do hope that interior design will not be too kitsch and keep a timeless elegance, with an innovative touch
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by AMDB7
If you do want to keep the cost down and avoid car rental and parking fees, then there is a shuttle service that is quite cheap - it's the 210 airport bus, and it drops you at the bus park/Hotel de Ville in Cannes. It's €26 return and runs every half hour (not a 24 hour service though). You can find info and book at www.niceairportexpress.com - I've used it in the past and it was good; reliable and fast.
Hi, just caught this piece of advice. We were contemplating taking a taxi from, but this seems quite convenient too.

One question thought - how does one get from the Bus Station in Cannes to the IC? Taxi (how much?)? Walk?

Thank you.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by slickalick
Hi, just caught this piece of advice. We were contemplating taking a taxi from, but this seems quite convenient too.

One question thought - how does one get from the Bus Station in Cannes to the IC? Taxi (how much?)? Walk?

Thank you.
It's a short 10 minute walk along the Croisette (sea-front) down to the Carlton. So it really would depend upon how much luggage you will have as to whether you will need a cab or not. I tend to take one if I've got a few bags to handle, as there's a fair-few kerbs to go up and down and you really wouldn't want to roll your luggage that kind of distance. The taxis are sitting there waiting, usually, but for the distance covered it's not cheap - can't remember how much exactly (possibly €15 with tip?) but it always seems too much for the 3 or 4 minute journey!

But if you are hand-luggage only then take a stroll and take in the lovely views along the way.

Last edited by AMDB7; Jan 26, 2012 at 5:24 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by AMDB7
It's a short 10 minute walk along the Croisette (sea-front) down to the Carlton. So it really would depend upon how much luggage you will have as to whether you will need a cab or not. I tend to take one if I've got a few bags to handle, as there's a fair-few kerbs to go up and down and you really wouldn't want to roll your luggage that kind of distance. The taxis are sitting there waiting, usually, but for the distance covered it's not cheap - can't remember how much exactly (possibly €15 with tip?) but it always seems too much for the 3 or 4 minute journey!

But if you are hand-luggage only then take a stroll and take in the lovely views along the way.
I fully agree. You may also ask the bus to stop in front of the police'station, which is a little closer to the Carlton, you'll save few minutes walking
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Note: I have been told by staff that the property will close for a complete renovation from August 2012 until May 2013. So hurry up if you want to enjoy a stay in 2011/2012
what a shame, we will be in south of france in september and after talking to some guests at IC wellington NZ recently, they convinced us to have a night here.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Hopefully someone can give me some guidance on possible room upgrades at the IC Carlton Cannes. I currently have 3 award nights (2 regular award nights and 1 PC Visa voucher night) booked for a visit in July. My Ambassador status is sadly going to expire in June so I'm debating if I should renew or not. I know YMMV for stays but based on experience can someone comment on what the likely upgrades MIGHT be for:

Platinum
Platinum Ambassador

Would the addition of the Ambassador membership make a big difference in the likely room upgrade? Reservation is now naturally showing a Classic room due to it being an award stay.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by christianj
Hopefully someone can give me some guidance on possible room upgrades at the IC Carlton Cannes. I currently have 3 award nights (2 regular award nights and 1 PC Visa voucher night) booked for a visit in July. My Ambassador status is sadly going to expire in June so I'm debating if I should renew or not. I know YMMV for stays but based on experience can someone comment on what the likely upgrades MIGHT be for:

Platinum
Platinum Ambassador

Would the addition of the Ambassador membership make a big difference in the likely room upgrade? Reservation is now naturally showing a Classic room due to it being an award stay.
Im going to provide a review of my recent stay soon in the Royal Ambassador stay thread, but i wanted to share with you my strategy which was booking 1-night in an Executive Seaview Room (cant remember the exact name) with a Virtuoso Agent (price was sub 200 euros) and then 2nd/3rd night on a bogo rate (price was sub 250 euros for one night). This gave me a amazing upgrade to a two room suite with balcony and amazing views of the sea. The rack rate on the card behind the door for this suite was 6900 euros a night!! Bearing in mind that i'm Royal Ambassador, i was entitled to a one-category upgrade from virtuoso, and a further 2 categories for being royal ambassador.

Stay tuned for my full review....
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Does anyone have any updated info on the closing and renovation?
I found this article and it claims the closing will be much longer than the May 2013 mentioned above. It will miss the film festival.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/cann...film-festival/
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:49 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by darkhunter
Does anyone have any updated info on the closing and renovation?
I found this article and it claims the closing will be much longer than the May 2013 mentioned above. It will miss the film festival.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/cann...film-festival/
My information is that due to technical reasons it is postponed until September 2013 and the reopening is scheduled for May 2014.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 3:30 am

So will the hotel be open for the 2013 film festival starting on May 15th ?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:33 am

Well to answer my own question I emailed the hotel and they said they are not closing now. So I guess the renovations are not happening any time soon.

So nice that they will be open but a bummer about no renovations as I think the property rather needs it. I had heard they were going to add a rooftop pool too, that would have been cool.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The Carlton Cannes postpones for one year an ambitious renovation program

The renovation and extension of the InterContinental Carlton, the prestigious hotel in Cannes in January sold to an investor from Qatar, were postponed a year, to "September 2013", announced Thursday a spokesman of the hotel.

This postponement is due to "the fragility of the building and the need to do more research" before work, she said.

Built in 1911 and completed in 1913 in its current form, the Carlton was originally scheduled to be closed from August 2012 to May 2013 for a major program of refurbishment and extension. The staff was supposed to be paid leave during this period of time.

In late January, the hotel management had assured employees that the planned renovation work would be done well by the new owner Qatari.

January 19, the hotel had been purchased by the private investor Bin Saad Al Saad Ghanim. The property was acquired nine months earlier by a Lebanese businessman living in Monaco.

The Carlton is so far the last great palace of Cannes that has not been into a major renovation program, unlike for example the Majestic Barrière or the JW Marriott.

Source: AFP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.