Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Carlton Cannes Master Thread [merged] - rebranded as Regent

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
Exactly. I have no evidence to support the view, but instinctively, if you ask in advance what you should book to achieve a desired suite but then don't do it, do they note this and ensure you are not rewarded for failing to follow the advance guidance? I don't know. I am a cynic I guess.
Yes, I think you are bang on the money. Outside Europe or in quieter locations, the email in advance tends to work well. But I don't think it will work as well somewhere as popular as Cannes!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
We have always been upgraded to full sea-view suites as RA and even on one visit as an Amb. And even on a points visit on Palm D'or night ....

I always advise contacting a hotel in advance ... but personally I'm edgy about doing it for this one because in advance they tend to state the rules which will result of a record of them advising you an expensive lean booking booking whereas leaving it for "the day" seems to bring happy suprises. It is a choice of whether you wish to have greater certainty at possibly a greater cost or can trust to fate.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
Maybe I should find a way to have RA status

What room do you book to end up in a suite ?
Surprised you were able to have a free night during the festival
even more surprised that it was upgraded on point stay especiall during that period.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I was at the Carlton 18 months ago with an RA friend. He was given a large room overlooking the seafront. He was kept awake all night by idiots racing sports cars up and down the road.

As a lowly Ambassador, I was given a bigger room than him but facing out of the side of the building (you could see the sea if you looked right!). I heard nothing all night.

Be careful what you wish for here.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:58 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Maybe I should find a way to have RA status

What room do you book to end up in a suite ?
Surprised you were able to have a free night during the festival
even more surprised that it was upgraded on point stay especiall during that period.
I have only ever booked Classic Rooms ie most basic.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Like others here I have found the upgrades at this hotel to be less than consistent. Over the last 15 years or so I have had RA/Amb upgrades ranging from smallish sea-view rooms right up to a newer refurbished suite on the top floor. But I noticed a general down-turn on the quality of the upgrades I received at this property about 3/4 years ago.

The final straw was when they tried to put me into a pokey little sea-view room when the hotel was quite empty, telling me it was some category or another that satisfied their requirements on upgrades (but that didn't exist on any kind of list anywhere else). I argued the case quite strongly, figuring that I probably wouldn't be returning any time soon after this anyway, and they eventually "found" me a normal sized sea-view room. But there was full availability showing online of all sorts of suites/sea-view rooms etc etc, and the hotel was clearly not busy.

Not been back since, but I do miss the breakfast...... Probably should give it another go now, as it's a lovely property in a great location.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
I have only ever booked Classic Rooms ie most basic.
Originally Posted by Raffles
I was at the Carlton 18 months ago with an RA friend. He was given a large room overlooking the seafront. He was kept awake all night by idiots racing sports cars up and down the road.

As a lowly Ambassador, I was given a bigger room than him but facing out of the side of the building (you could see the sea if you looked right!). I heard nothing all night.

Be careful what you wish for here.
Usually side room are larger than ocean front room
side room on the left( looking at the building from the street) are larger than side room on the right
side room on the right are about the same size than ocean front room
however side room on the right has better ocean view due to the low building

Seems that
- A status is a one level upgrade
- RA status is 2 levels (classic to ocean front) or more (classic to ocean suite)

car noise : were you there during the summer ?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by AMDB7
Like others here I have found the upgrades at this hotel to be less than consistent. Over the last 15 years or so I have had RA/Amb upgrades ranging from smallish sea-view rooms right up to a newer refurbished suite on the top floor. But I noticed a general down-turn on the quality of the upgrades I received at this property about 3/4 years ago.

The final straw was when they tried to put me into a pokey little sea-view room when the hotel was quite empty, telling me it was some category or another that satisfied their requirements on upgrades (but that didn't exist on any kind of list anywhere else). I argued the case quite strongly, figuring that I probably wouldn't be returning any time soon after this anyway, and they eventually "found" me a normal sized sea-view room. But there was full availability showing online of all sorts of suites/sea-view rooms etc etc, and the hotel was clearly not busy.

Not been back since, but I do miss the breakfast...... Probably should give it another go now, as it's a lovely property in a great location.
The buffet breakfast is a nice spread, with champagne
I agree if you like central cannes the location is great.
Unfortunately there is not a lot of city beach luxury property in the riviera (I meant an hotel in a city and with a sand beach)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:34 am

Any recent stays by RAs who were not on BRG or PB stays? I'm staying this weekend and have booked the second category up room on a BOGOF and then a classic room with breakfast for the third night. I hope to get a sea facing room on the 6th floor - what are the chances?
I note on the most recent RA report that the champagne had been removed from the minibar - do I have any grounds to complain if that happens to me?
Also has anyone had dinner in the restaurant - there appears to be some good set meal deals. Any restaurant recommendations - especially for bouillabaisse?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, Priority Club Plat (again!), Marriott Rewards Gold
Afraid I cannot help quitecontrary but I am staying here in a couple of weeks, so please let me know how you get on and any restaurant recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Any recent stays by RAs who were not on BRG or PB stays? I'm staying this weekend and have booked the second category up room on a BOGOF and then a classic room with breakfast for the third night. I hope to get a sea facing room on the 6th floor - what are the chances?
I note on the most recent RA report that the champagne had been removed from the minibar - do I have any grounds to complain if that happens to me?
Also has anyone had dinner in the restaurant - there appears to be some good set meal deals. Any restaurant recommendations - especially for bouillabaisse?
Don't know for the upgrade. My bet will be minimum ocean front not sure for the 6 th floor. Do you consider to e-mail the hotel ?

However few months ago, I asked a front desk guy if they removed champagne for RA (maybe based on the same report) and they clearly told me no.

Not a big fan of the restaurant Inside the Carlton. their set dinner is good value for money but the food is imo not interesting (if you need to use an FHR credit that's a good reason to eat there)

Gaston gastounette, 20 mns walking from the IC on the port (turn right leaving the hotel facing the sea and keep going) is a very good fish restaurant. (menu at about euro 40). Believe they have bouillabesse there but IIRC bouillabesse is more from Marseille than cannes / nice.

"Le park 45" located Inside the grand hotel (2 mns walking from IC) is a one michelin star and offer a tasty menu starting at about 45 / 50 euros.

Going higher, la palme d'or inside Martinez hotel is a 2 michelin stars, very nice setting and service, good & original food, about 120 / 150 euros / head.

You may check if la palme d'or and le park are open, they should be as we're not longer in the very slow season, they're closed for lunch.

If you plan to drive, couple of other one which are also open for lunch :
- "la mas de candilles" in mougins - 15 mns driving 1 michelin star and this is very very good
- "château st martin" in vence, 2 michelin stars is probably my favorite restaurant there, this one may be close for the off season. Part of the oetker collection. If you have been at Epicure at the bristol they seems to share some of the dish presentation.
- "La Bastide St-Antoine" in grasse offer a very Friendly and good service (my daughter has her own little seat, with little plate, paper and pens), used to have 2 stars, only one now but still good., open all year around. Usually chef chibois is coming out of his kitchen to say hello & chat with guests.

If you'd like to visit Monaco for a few hours, Robuchon Inside the metropole hotel is probably one of the best Robuchon food wise, of course it's located in France. You have free valet for robuchon (not for the Japanese restaurant)

There are numerous other great restaurants in the area, la chevre d'or in "eze" close to Monaco offer a great sea view.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:14 pm

Thank you so much for all the recommendations cedricgerald. We used to holiday in Antibes when the children were little but it has been a while since we've been further than Nice and we've never stayed in Cannes before. We will hire a car one day and drive around old haunts like Mougins, Vence and Grasse hopefully taking in a nice lunch somewhere.

Will report back - TheMajor.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Thank you so much for all the recommendations cedricgerald. We used to holiday in Antibes when the children were little but it has been a while since we've been further than Nice and we've never stayed in Cannes before. We will hire a car one day and drive around old haunts like Mougins, Vence and Grasse hopefully taking in a nice lunch somewhere.

Will report back - TheMajor.
You're most welcome , enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
does anyone know if the now 42EUR valet fee includes in/out privileges???

Trying to decide whether I should valet and forget about it or just find street parking, I'm only staying for one night, and have a flight out early in the morning...
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by no2chem
does anyone know if the now 42EUR valet fee includes in/out privileges???

Trying to decide whether I should valet and forget about it or just find street parking, I'm only staying for one night, and have a flight out early in the morning...
Don't know if in & out is included, I'll guess yes.
however beside the summer and few busy times (like film festival etc) finding parking in the side streets is easy. Never parked more than 3 mns walking without looking hard.

IIRC you can pay up to 2 hours maximum, monday to saturday, from 8 / 9 am to 6 or 7 pm. Night street parking is free and believe lunch time is also free (from 12 to 2 pm)
If you need more than 2 hours on the same spot, you'll need to come back and pay again to have a new ticket (not sure if this is 100% legal).

By the way, if you don't park the street parking, the fine is most probably lower than euro 42

Last edited by CGRA; Apr 12, 2014 at 4:26 pm Reason: more information
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Don't know if in & out is included, I'll guess yes.
however beside the summer and few busy times (like film festival etc) finding parking in the side streets is easy. Never parked more than 3 mns walking without looking hard.

IIRC you can pay up to 2 hours maximum, monday to saturday, from 8 / 9 am to 6 or 7 pm. Night street parking is free and believe lunch time is also free (from 12 to 2 pm)
If you need more than 2 hours on the same spot, you'll need to come back and pay again to have a new ticket (not sure if this is 100% legal).

By the way, if you don't park the street parking, the fine is most probably lower than euro 42
Thanks! It'll be in the summer, Mid-July. I'll probably look for street parking then... I guess I should just avoid parking on la croisette..?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.