Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Sindhorn Midtown Hotel Bangkok, Vignette Collection [Master Thread]

Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle

Sindhorn Midtown Hotel Bangkok is the first Vignette Collection hotel to open in Asia.

A complimentary Lao Khao shot is served with a mixed selection of pickled fruits between 5pm and 6pm daily at The Black Cat, bringing guests closer to the soul of Bangkok and setting them up for an evening of exploration. Younger guests can dial the Emergency Popsicle Line located on the hotels second floor to receive a complimentary iced treat, delivered promptly by a dedicated Popsicle Butler.

Designed by award-winning strategic design firm, Eight Inc., contemporary design, laidback elegance and the striking local art come together at Sindhorn Midtown. Punctuating the minimalist lobby space, an incredible textile masterpiece by Thai artist, Kachama Perez, epitomizes the hotels commitment to supporting Thai craftsmanship. Kachama acquired her advanced dying and weaving skills during time spent in the mountains of Northern Thailand with the Karen tribe. Shiny strands of recycled aluminum are woven between the indigo threads, depicting the negative human impacts on marine life and encouraging dialogue on ocean conservation.

Each of its 393 rooms feature large format bathroom amenities from Karl Lagerfeld and modern comforts such as Fritz Hansens iconic DropTM chairs. The Fitness Centre offers panoramic city views, as does the Horizon Pool, which is located on the 18th floor. Works by Fine Art Photographer, Visarute Angkatavanich, whose image of a Siamese fighting fish was launched on the iPhone 6s in 2015, can be found on every floor.

The hotel recently introduced three new eclectic dining offerings; The Black Cat is an atmospheric Thai Liquor bar, with live band playing on selected evenings. Inspired by the golden age of Thailand, Bangkok78 presents the citys greatest culinary hits in a retro-inspired concept, whilst Sip & Co. is a chic addition to Langsuans flourishing caf culture.

Recognising the importance of ensuring quality education to the leaders of tomorrow, Sindhorn Midtown is proud to partner with the Kuvanant Foundation, which aims to provide educational opportunities for local students and those living with disabilities in rural areas of Thailand. Upon checking in, guests are encouraged to donate USD$1 to the foundation. The hotel will be providing internship opportunities for the foundations students to earn first-hand work experience and offers career opportunities as well as insights into the hospitality industry.

Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Sindhorn Midtown Hotel Bangkok is the first Vignette Collection hotel to open in Asia.

A complimentary Lao Khao shot is served with a mixed selection of pickled fruits between 5pm and 6pm daily at The Black Cat, bringing guests closer to the soul of Bangkok and setting them up for an evening of exploration. Younger guests can dial the Emergency Popsicle Line located on the hotels second floor to receive a complimentary iced treat, delivered promptly by a dedicated Popsicle Butler.

Designed by award-winning strategic design firm, Eight Inc., contemporary design, laidback elegance and the striking local art come together at Sindhorn Midtown. Punctuating the minimalist lobby space, an incredible textile masterpiece by Thai artist, Kachama Perez, epitomizes the hotels commitment to supporting Thai craftsmanship. Kachama acquired her advanced dying and weaving skills during time spent in the mountains of Northern Thailand with the Karen tribe. Shiny strands of recycled aluminum are woven between the indigo threads, depicting the negative human impacts on marine life and encouraging dialogue on ocean conservation.

Each of its 393 rooms feature large format bathroom amenities from Karl Lagerfeld and modern comforts such as Fritz Hansens iconic DropTM chairs. The Fitness Centre offers panoramic city views, as does the Horizon Pool, which is located on the 18th floor. Works by Fine Art Photographer, Visarute Angkatavanich, whose image of a Siamese fighting fish was launched on the iPhone 6s in 2015, can be found on every floor.

The hotel recently introduced three new eclectic dining offerings; The Black Cat is an atmospheric Thai Liquor bar, with live band playing on selected evenings. Inspired by the golden age of Thailand, Bangkok78 presents the citys greatest culinary hits in a retro-inspired concept, whilst Sip & Co. is a chic addition to Langsuans flourishing caf culture.

Recognising the importance of ensuring quality education to the leaders of tomorrow, Sindhorn Midtown is proud to partner with the Kuvanant Foundation, which aims to provide educational opportunities for local students and those living with disabilities in rural areas of Thailand. Upon checking in, guests are encouraged to donate USD$1 to the foundation. The hotel will be providing internship opportunities for the foundations students to earn first-hand work experience and offers career opportunities as well as insights into the hospitality industry.

This must be the hotel being overlooked into from the WA Breakfast if you sit next to the bakery station..??

There now, hotel is quite modern but where does benefits stand in this hotel? Is it a Kimpton grade? Indigo grade? I wasn't given any welcome amenities as such.

Also, the soap stand in the bathroom is very weird. the frame encroaches the pump so it's very hard to take out any soap/shampoo.

Last edited by GordonMacPherson; Jul 2, 2022 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Spire Ambassdor
Grand Opening

Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:08 pm

I stayed 2 niights at Sindhorn Kempinski and also got a tour of Kimpton Maa Lai. In terms of design, both are underhwelmingly mediocre. Looking at Sindhorn Midtown pix, it looks like design and quality build are on par with Kempinskis and Kimptons - nothing special.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I stayed 2 niights at Sindhorn Kempinski and also got a tour of Kimpton Maa Lai. In terms of design, both are underhwelmingly mediocre. Looking at Sindhorn Midtown pix, it looks like design and quality build are on par with Kempinskis and Kimptons - nothing special.
I didnt stay at the Maa-Lai but spent some time hanging out in their lobby lounge/garden and went for a tour. I found the public spaces lovely and the rooms very residential in feel, if not particularly wow-inducing. As for this hotel, I dont understand how it is supposed to represent luxury as dictated by the Vignette Collection brand when there are voco and even Holiday Inn properties that look way better than this one. The design here looks nice and clean but totally anonymous, lacks character and the finishings look more commercial than they do individual. I would have thought the owners would have spent the time between the launch of the brand and bringing the hotel into the fold to spruce it up a little, but it seems nothing was done.

Im very unimpressed by this. With all the hotel choices in Bangkok, I wouldnt try this one out based on how it looks, and what it offers.

khabah
flyme2 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:22 am

I am a bit puzzled by the whole "grand opening" noise ... The hotel has been operating under IHG mainline since last summer, I stayed there in December over Christmas & New Year - good value for money and well connected to public transit, but beyond that nothing extraordinary.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by khabah
I didnt stay at the Maa-Lai but spent some time hanging out in their lobby lounge/garden and went for a tour. I found the public spaces lovely and the rooms very residential in feel, if not particularly wow-inducing. As for this hotel, I dont understand how it is supposed to represent luxury as dictated by the Vignette Collection brand when there are voco and even Holiday Inn properties that look way better than this one. The design here looks nice and clean but totally anonymous, lacks character and the finishings look more commercial than they do individual. I would have thought the owners would have spent the time between the launch of the brand and bringing the hotel into the fold to spruce it up a little, but it seems nothing was done.

Im very unimpressed by this. With all the hotel choices in Bangkok, I wouldnt try this one out based on how it looks, and what it offers.

khabah
Fully with you on this one. Entirely puzzling how this turned out to be Vignette Collection, Voco okay but nothing more. Kimpton definitely has a more upscale feel though for high end luxury one has to go outside IHG in BKK.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by khabah
Totally agree. Saw the topic with a feeling of wow, a new IHG hotel, sounds interesting, and after opening meh, this doesnt make sense.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 8:09 pm

Completely underwhelming. I find the whole dcor to have a cheap feel about it with some tight spaces thrown in for good measure. Not my cup of tea at all.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I did not stay at the hotel, but visited it as it is within walking distance of the Kimpton Maa Lai.

I found the hotel very pleasant in terms of design (I can't speak about the rooms) and location.

The hotel is not as sophisticated as the Kimpton, but considering its price was almost three times less than the Maa Lai, it seems an interesting option.

Exterior

Caf pastry shop

Pool area

Bar restaurant

kevino, dw, Cthunder86 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 7, 2023 at 8:50 am
Old Mar 19, 2023, 12:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
poor diamond benefit

I stayed here in June 2022. They recognized me as IHG Diamond but refused to give me any complimentary breakfast. No meaningful upgrade except on a higher floor. Room was very small. Will not stay again.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Any upgrades given here for Platinum? The base rooms look small.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 1:05 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jlcchien
I stayed here in June 2022. They recognized me as IHG Diamond but refused to give me any complimentary breakfast. No meaningful upgrade except on a higher floor. Room was very small. Will not stay again.
On the lack of complimentary breakfast, Im assuming that was because though this property was bookable through IHG then, it technically wasnt branded as Vignette Collection until July? I think the program is a bit silent on elite benefits at unbranded properties.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 5:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It was branded as vignette collection when I stay there in late June 2022.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Accor - Gold; Radisson - Gold; Hyatt - Globalist
Hello - what's the opinion on Indigo vs (this hotel) Vignette? Staying on points, IHG Platinum. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.