FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG Program Update March 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2065906-ihg-program-update-march-2022-a.html)

sfozrhfco Jan 28, 2022 5:13 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 33941654)
Good god no! I am so happy that IHG decided to not enhance the AMB/RA program. RA is the best status in the entire loyalty industry. Hands off!

Best in the industry?🙄 LOL

stimpy Jan 28, 2022 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Fims (Post 33941892)
Once upon a time in the past, it was the best. When RAs got suite, not 2-level upgrades and often good treatment alos at other brands than just ICs.

Now it is not making to the top and is weaker than Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott/Radisson/Accor, where suite upgrades and free breakfast are happening also beyond just one brand within the portfolio.

Sorry but that is completely wrong. Speaking as someone who stays a lot at IC's and Kimptons. And if you read here, you can see that RA's staying at Regents and other top IHG brands also get the same great treatment. Suites, free mini-bar, etc. and excellent service. The vast majority of IC's and Kimptons give suites every time. There are a few IC's that don't have enough suites that will place you in the next best room. But great treatment everywhere in my experience. And during COVID it's never been so good. They have improved RA experiences rather than go the other way.

I'm also Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, etc. And was Hyatt Diamond for many years. Nothing comes close to IC RA/Inner Circle status.

pbd456 Jan 28, 2022 8:02 am

the 10x spending on IHG from IHG premier card is a big deal for EQP.. for 2k spends, it earns 20k base points from stay, and 20k points from credit card.
it is going to change the equation for keeping top tier status for a lot of people.

if chase card spend no longer earn eqp in the new program, it seems that IHG will disallow all other points as eqp as well.. only hotel stays will count and it will be much harder to become diamond

dw Jan 28, 2022 8:13 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 33943040)
if chase card spend no longer earn eqp in the new program, it seems that IHG will disallow all other points as eqp as well.. only hotel stays will count and it will be much harder to become diamond

I suppose they will have occasional promotions like the current quarter's double elite qualifying points promo... but agreed, this is going to be a big change for some existing elites.

Which basically makes the increased points qualifying criteria for top tier even more onerous compared to the past. Based solely on stays and credit card spending (as it is today with EQPs), the new 120,000 points qualification would require roughly $6,000 in spend... but under the new framework where credit card spending doesn't earn EQPs, we're talking about $12,000, which is not insignificant for a status tier that has questionable benefits.

pbd456 Jan 28, 2022 8:35 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 33943077)
I suppose they will have occasional promotions like the current quarter's double elite qualifying points promo... but agreed, this is going to be a big change for some existing elites.

Which basically makes the increased points qualifying criteria for top tier even more onerous compared to the past. Based solely on stays and credit card spending (as it is today with EQPs), the new 120,000 points qualification would require roughly $6,000 in spend... but under the new framework where credit card spending doesn't earn EQPs, we're talking about $12,000, which is not insignificant for a status tier that has questionable benefits.

will see if bonus point package will count..
it seems IHG is serious in cutting the number of top tier elites. killing the ambassador renewal trick would be far easier

nacho Jan 28, 2022 9:08 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 33943135)
will see if bonus point package will count..
it seems IHG is serious in cutting the number of top tier elites. killing the ambassador renewal trick would be far easier

Yes but AMB status can be bought which is direct revenue to IHG.

pbd456 Jan 28, 2022 9:20 am

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 33943245)
Yes but AMB status can be bought which is direct revenue to IHG.

like 200 USD with 15k points rebate, and have a bunch of others benefits?

nacho Jan 28, 2022 9:50 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 33943287)
like 200 USD with 15k points rebate, and have a bunch of others benefits?

You need to stay at an IC to get the full benefits which is also $ to IHG. AMB comes with Plat? If the upgrade rate is so low then there's not much real benefits anyway. The 15k points is like $90 if you buy it via cash and points. So it's an instant $110+ (the 15k points probably cost less if IHG buys it themselves) in their pocket and potential revenue from stays.

pbd456 Jan 28, 2022 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 33943396)
You need to stay at an IC to get the full benefits which is also $ to IHG. AMB comes with Plat? If the upgrade rate is so low then there's not much real benefits anyway. The 15k points is like $90 if you buy it via cash and points. So it's an instant $110+ (the 15k points probably cost less if IHG buys it themselves) in their pocket and potential revenue from stays.

so. there is no need to throw in spire or diamond on top, right?
how much money would IHG get for someone who either spend 70 nights or earn 120k points via hotel stay?

HHonors OUTSIDER Jan 28, 2022 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 33943823)
so. there is no need to throw in spire or diamond on top, right?
how much money would IHG get for someone who either spend 70 nights or earn 120k points via hotel stay?

$1000

hi55us Jan 28, 2022 4:20 pm

Breaking News: IHG Diamond to include industry-leading daily houskeeping service at all worldwide properties!

Fims Jan 29, 2022 12:43 am

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 33944531)
Breaking News: IHG Diamond to include industry-leading daily houskeeping service at all worldwide properties!

Or they could offer Green Choice to get 750 IHG-pesos when you decide not to have housekeeping.

markis10 Jan 29, 2022 1:54 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 33942870)

I'm also Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, etc. And was Hyatt Diamond for many years. Nothing comes close to IC RA/Inner Circle status.

If it’s so good why do you bother with the other chains, unless it’s the lack of geographical footprint……, which is shrinking at present to 205 hotels?

dk9 Jan 29, 2022 3:05 am

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 33944531)

I don't even know if this is a real thing or you are joking. Says so much about the 'elite benefits' of IHG.

stimpy Jan 29, 2022 7:53 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 33945372)
If it’s so good why do you bother with the other chains, unless it’s the lack of geographical footprint……, which is shrinking at present to 205 hotels?

That other status is all comped. I spend the vast majority of my stays at IC, Kimpton and HI/CP if needed. There are a few strategic Hilton and Marriott properties that I stay at, especially at airports. Like the Moxy at LYS and Sheraton at CDG are inside the terminals. Hilton FCO, etc.