FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG Program Update March 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2065906-ihg-program-update-march-2022-a.html)

uastarflyer Feb 4, 2022 3:39 am

Originally Posted by neutralist (Post 33917272)
Not sure if it refers to this, but if you have Spire AND Ambassador, keeping the Ambassador alive will also keep the Spire level alive, without any stay or spend necessarily. You just need to pay the renewal fee for Ambassador. ( and you also get the choice benefit upon renewal which rebates 25000 points )

I got my Spire level initially via status match from Hilton.

I wasn’t aware of this. I got to spire just before pandemic so it has been automatically extended. I will continue to pay for AMB renewal!

js1993 Feb 4, 2022 10:58 pm

Is IHG changing the program year from December 31 to March 31 or did I imagine that?

ralfkrippner Feb 5, 2022 12:38 pm

App says status valid till Apr1st 2023 for me which is a bit strange.

Requalification for Spire/Diamond is 55k points till Mar31st and if only a few points short then jumps to 120k points within the running membership year. Also very strange.

So a change to having membership years Apr-Mar+1 would make sense...

js1993 Feb 5, 2022 12:52 pm

Thanks. I assume everyone's will be updated to March 31 or April 1, 2023, at some point, but maybe not.

HHonors OUTSIDER Feb 5, 2022 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner (Post 33966596)

Requalification for Spire/Diamond is 55k points till Mar31st and if only a few points short then jumps to 120k points within the running membership year. Also very strange.

The change over to the new program is at some point in March 2022. Have you seen it specifically say March 31 somewhere?

DaveH Feb 6, 2022 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 33941642)
There is a targeted bonus on my card through March but the January statement did not post any of the bonus points as status points--which they did last year with the same bonus. Thus if you buy something from Amazon you still earn 1 point per dollar towards status and then get 4 bonus points. Last year all 5 points counted towards status.

Thanks for including this important data point. I have the same promo, and like you had prior experiences of having promo points count as EQPs.

Did you (or other posters) get EQPs for all10x / 5x spend on IHG properties in your 2022 statements?

pbd456 Feb 7, 2022 12:43 am

Originally Posted by DaveH (Post 33968902)
Thanks for including this important data point. I have the same promo, and like you had prior experiences of having promo points count as EQPs.

Did you (or other posters) get EQPs for all10x / 5x spend on IHG properties in your 2022 statements?

i got 10x in my Jan statement.

for the bonus spend at groceries back in 2020, i didnt get the 5x eqp only got the 5x as bonus points

pbd456 Feb 7, 2022 4:16 am

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner (Post 33966596)

did you renew ambassador recently?

CX748 Feb 9, 2022 9:08 pm

What're the chances of IHG finally bringing in lifetime status with this relaunch?

Mordac Feb 9, 2022 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by CX748 (Post 33978954)
What're the chances of IHG finally bringing in lifetime status with this relaunch?

That would be an actual welcome improvement, so about zero I'd say. ;)

Kentish Steve Feb 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by CX748 (Post 33978954)

I think IHG need to start with guaranteeing good solid benefits instead of leaving us at the mercy of individual franchisee's before we worry about a lifetime status. I've been Spire for a number of years but compared to Hilton Diamond and others it's now a very poor program so I'm really hoping these changes are substantial not just IHG marketing hype!

js1993 Feb 10, 2022 1:58 pm

I was hoping for breakfast, but after Hilton eliminated it, hard to see IHG adding it.

Kentish Steve Feb 10, 2022 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 33981084)
I was hoping for breakfast, but after Hilton eliminated it, hard to see IHG adding it.

In Fairness Hilton haven't eliminated it they have changed it in the USA offering a credit instead which I appreciate is not what anyone wanted, fortunately for us in Europe there is currently no change and I hope it stays that way otherwise I'm sure people will move their loyalty.

dw Feb 10, 2022 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 33981084)

The big issue is convincing the property owners to pay for this new benefit, at a time when many are seeking to reduce costs (hence the Hilton breakfast changes in the US). IHG probably always had lower loyalty program costs compared to Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt, since breakfast has never been a benefit, which likely was one of the factors the property owners considered when signing on.

js1993 Feb 10, 2022 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 33981298)
The big issue is convincing the property owners to pay for this new benefit, at a time when many are seeking to reduce costs (hence the Hilton breakfast changes in the US). IHG probably always had lower loyalty program costs compared to Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt, since breakfast has never been a benefit, which likely was one of the factors the property owners considered when signing on.

It always comes down to money. But you'd think the owners would recognize the upside of making the program more appealing.