FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG Program Update March 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2065906-ihg-program-update-march-2022-a.html)

NoY Jan 19, 2022 7:23 pm

They have an opportunity to provide Diamond guests real value (finally!) but I doubt that they will change their pitiful approach to top tier elites in terms of meaningful, guranteed on-property perks.

Engineering Travel Jan 19, 2022 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 33917843)
Can someone please remind me: do points transferred into IHG still count as elite qualifying points?

-FlyerBeek

I believe not any more.
Previously miles transferred from Virgin to IHG counted as elite qualifying points, but this stopped around 3 years ago.
Not sure about other programs though.

Fims Jan 20, 2022 12:03 am

Originally Posted by submonte (Post 33917585)
Looks like Accor ALL now:

IHG Rewards Club
Accor ALL

Club
Classic

Silver Elite
Silver

Gold Elite
Gold

Platinum Elite
Platinum

Diamond Elite
Diamond

Hopefully they get enough inspiration from Accor to copy their F&B policy to give Platinum & above also free breakfast or lounge access in APAC.

FlyerBeek Jan 20, 2022 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Engineering Travel (Post 33918463)
I believe not any more.
Previously miles transferred from Virgin to IHG counted as elite qualifying points, but this stopped around 3 years ago.
Not sure about other programs though.

Thanks. That was my recollection as well, although a prominent points blogger today seemed to suggest transferred points were still elite qualifying (ref: https://viewfromthewing.com/ihg-rewa...w-elite-level/).

-FlyerBeek

DavefromSt.Vital Jan 20, 2022 8:17 am

Originally Posted by submonte (Post 33917585)
Looks like Accor ALL now:

IHG Rewards Club
Accor ALL

Club
Classic

Silver Elite
Silver

Gold Elite
Gold

Platinum Elite
Platinum

Diamond Elite
Diamond

Is this perhaps a pre-emptive step for the long-rumoured merger with Accor

buzglyd Jan 20, 2022 8:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 33917843)
Can someone please remind me: do points transferred into IHG still count as elite qualifying points?

-FlyerBeek

I transferred 7000 Chase points in December which made me Aspire. I then selected 25000 points as my gift. I normally wouldn't do that but I was so close, I thought why not?

submonte Jan 20, 2022 10:23 am

Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital (Post 33919357)

That's what I thought, and you expressed it ;)

TheWiseOne Jan 20, 2022 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Kentish Steve (Post 33917566)
In the UK the only IHG credit card provider Creation are a complete joke and a good example of how not to offer customer service. When other people talk about how weak IHG management are with owners insofar as improving member benefits with them they are also weak at managing their credit card provider who close accounts without just cause and have stopped all new applications, clearly a CC company looking to exit the UK market, where will that then leave IHG with no card presence in the UK, one more barrier to accumulating points to achieve higher levels. Unless these program changes bring real guaranteed benefits members will no doubt leave to other groups that offer real tangible value for their members loyalty..

The creation fiasco is absolute ridiculous.

beachmouse Jan 20, 2022 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital (Post 33919357)

Unpopular opinion is that I actually hope the merger happens, as messy as it would be, because that footprint would be very useful for my needs.

ElmhurstNick Jan 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Eh, somehow I'm still Spire after not trying to requalify since I stopped staying at Kimptons when my work patterns changed (so I lost Inner Circle) and some properties left the brand. The redemption rates for any of the good HIX in the US have risen substantially.

I still generally like HIX as a US brand more than Hampton or Courtyard, or older ex-Amerisuires Hyatt Places. I will miss the points bonus, but not enough to really change my stay patterns since I never tried to maintain Spire.

jn in ca Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm

Since the requirement for 2022 has been reduced to 55 nights once again, should I assume that if I meet the 55 nights before the March changeover I still can request my Spire choice benefit, but if I make 55 nights after the March changeover, I will not get a Spire choice benefit?

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 33916986)
Everything else aside, I can't believe programs (AA, now IHG) are raising requirements at a time when business travel remains a fraction of what it was in 2019.

IHG just extended everyone's status for precisely that reason, but now some genius believes it's time to raise the Spire/Diamond threshold by 15 nights?

IHG is not raising the requirement by 15 nights. Spire was 75 nights. The reduction to 55 nights was never announced or intended to be permanent. This reduction, which is really from 75 nights to 70 nights, appears to be permanent.

Not that I am disagreeing. Travel is still down and IHG is behaving idiotically to make these changes now, but we do need to be honest about that 55 night requirement.

js1993 Jan 20, 2022 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca (Post 33920694)
Since the requirement for 2022 has been reduced to 55 nights once again, should I assume that if I meet the 55 nights before the March changeover I still can request my Spire choice benefit, but if I make 55 nights after the March changeover, I will not get a Spire choice benefit?

IHG is not raising the requirement by 15 nights. Spire was 75 nights. The reduction to 55 nights was never announced or intended to be permanent. This reduction, which is really from 75 nights to 70 nights, appears to be permanent.

Not that I am disagreeing. Travel is still down and IHG is behaving idiotically to make these changes now, but we do need to be honest about that 55 night requirement.

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not following entirely. If the 2022 requirement is 55, why does the new chart say 70?

TheWiseOne Jan 20, 2022 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 33920747)
Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not following entirely. If the 2022 requirement is 55, why does the new chart say 70?

This may be due to them having 55 still in place for 2022 but the standard requirement is 70. A little like how it is currently 55 but the standard requirement for Spire is 75. To be fair to IHG, if they stated 55 on the chart they released they would be tied to that on an ongoing basis.

HHonors OUTSIDER Jan 20, 2022 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 33920747)

The 2022 requirement is 55 nights only until the new program kicks in after which it will become 70 nights. The new program is scheduled to kick in sometime in March 2022.

js1993 Jan 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER (Post 33920955)
The 2022 requirement is 55 nights only until the new program kicks in after which it will become 70 nights. The new program is scheduled to kick in sometime in March 2022.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Doubt too many people will log 55 IHG nights in the first 60 to 75 days of the year.