FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG Program Update March 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2065906-ihg-program-update-march-2022-a.html)

FFlash Jan 19, 2022 10:58 am

Holding my breath waiting when they announce officially what me and most think in silence:

”drag uour aasses to other chains, this change is a quantum leap for the illiterate sheep”

christianj Jan 19, 2022 11:00 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 33916519)
Hasn’t that already happened though?

Of course it has many times but does that make you assume it won't happen again as part of the "update" as well?

asdfghjk Jan 19, 2022 11:02 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe (Post 33916568)
You become Diamond and need to qualify in 2022 for 2023

Hopefully the shortcut to Diamond will still work.

lowfareair Jan 19, 2022 11:03 am

I don't know what is worse with this announcement: The fact that they are not doing anything to merge Inner Circle/Ambassador (could at least put it into one program with different benefits for different chains, like how Bonvoy does it) or that they are materially raising the threshold for existing levels without specifying any tangible benefit additions beyond point bonus changes for Gold/Plat that could make someone say "oh, that seems worth it". Absolutely bonkers to me.

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 33916483)
I am waiting for the bad part of the relaunch when they announce increased redemption costs for award rooms.

Dynamic award rates yet not directly based on cash rates mean they don't need to announce anything, they just update the algorithm that calculates award rates.

Super Mario Jan 19, 2022 11:18 am

Stay tuned for the official launch of the new IHG Rewards program in a few months. You’ll hear more about our new benefits and all the updated ways to earn and redeem. And when it comes to picking perks, the choice is all yours.

Get ready for a loyalty program that rewards you for being you.

I know the past has told me not to get excited about loyalty changes, but I want to stay optimistic. If they made Diamond Elite exciting, that could be a big deal for IHG.

Petrus Jan 19, 2022 11:20 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 33916678)
I don't know what is worse with this announcement: The fact that they are not doing anything to merge Inner Circle/Ambassador (could at least put it into one program with different benefits for different chains, like how Bonvoy does it) or that they are materially raising the threshold for existing levels without specifying any tangible benefit additions beyond point bonus changes for Gold/Plat that could make someone say "oh, that seems worth it". Absolutely bonkers to me.

Dynamic award rates yet not directly based on cash rates mean they don't need to announce anything, they just update the algorithm that calculates award rates.

precisely. It is surge pricing a la Uber. Quite brilliant actually, but mostly sucks bålls for the customer.

dw Jan 19, 2022 11:29 am

Gary Leff has posted about an interview with an IHG executive and it's clear from their conversation that they are sensitive about the impact of increasing loyalty program costs on property owners. (No surprise-- look at what Hilton has been doing with breakfast and housekeeping.)

In my opinion, the best case scenario is the new Diamond level gets a choice of amenities, which I'd wager would be extra points or breakfast (or maybe a F&B credit). I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking or more generous than what other programs are offering.

Redhead Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am

So what will the status from the credit card be? This is making me rethink. Right now I'm just using 100% of my IHG points to pay for my brother and his wife's many stays next to the hospital as he undergoes his cancer treatments and (fingers crossed) a liver transplant later this year.

uastarflyer Jan 19, 2022 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk (Post 33916675)
Hopefully the shortcut to Diamond will still work.

which is what exactly?

HHonors OUTSIDER Jan 19, 2022 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario (Post 33916725)
I know the past has told me not to get excited about loyalty changes, but I want to stay optimistic. If they made Diamond Elite exciting, that could be a big deal for IHG.

Does anyone remember why they called the new level above Platinum Spire?? For the new Diamond level they will probably offer a choice between breakfast or bonus points. I am recommending they offer a new version of the old Point Breaks whereby properties on the list are 50% off their dynamic points price.

js1993 Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 33916765)
Gary Leff has posted about an interview with an IHG executive and it's clear from their conversation that they are sensitive about the impact of increasing loyalty program costs on property owners. (No surprise-- look at what Hilton has been doing with breakfast and housekeeping.)

In my opinion, the best case scenario is the new Diamond level gets a choice of amenities, which I'd wager would be extra points or breakfast (or maybe a F&B credit). I wouldn't expect anything groundbreaking or more generous than what other programs are offering.

That's the problem: IHG isn't anywhere close to what the other programs are offering, and it appears they're not trying to catch up.

nacho Jan 19, 2022 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by js1993 (Post 33916901)
That's the problem: IHG isn't anywhere close to what the other programs are offering, and it appears they're not trying to catch up.

True and they have taken away some of their killer offers like crazy point promo and PB.

Akoz Jan 19, 2022 12:26 pm

It would be nice if the previously offered room upgrade was ever given. Or even acknowledgement of its unavailability with some points given instead.

Smiley90 Jan 19, 2022 12:37 pm

When other programs devalue they at least pretend to offer some kind of carrot.... Whats the carrot here? TBA based on how upset people get with this announcement?

js1993 Jan 19, 2022 12:39 pm

Everything else aside, I can't believe programs (AA, now IHG) are raising requirements at a time when business travel remains a fraction of what it was in 2019.

IHG just extended everyone's status for precisely that reason, but now some genius believes it's time to raise the Spire/Diamond threshold by 15 nights?