Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Program Update March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you needed to do that, it might be cheaper simply to be selective and pay for lounge access if you're staying at a hotel with that facility, and you want access. It's the strategy I adopted for my much reduced number of IC stays after losing RA status.

As for "free" breakfasts, I'll say thanks if they offer it, but i certainly wouldn't jump through any hoops or plan unnecessary $100 stays to get it.

Meanwhile, over at Hilton I've always receive breakfast everywhere I stay, and if the there's a lounge i'm invited in. No hoops, no complications, no mile-stone choice: just make 30 Hilton-family stays a year (including reward nights).
You must've not stayed in any US Hiltons recently... the whole breakfast benefit is one big mess right now. i WISH it was as simple as "just get breakfast"!
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by swag
Here's my view as a credit card platinum.

I'd certainly hoped for improvements, but you never really expect too much for a status that you're buying for under $100. Sure enough, IHG found a way to offer benefits to embers with Platinum-level number of nights, while excluding credit card platinums - milestone rewards. IHG isn't the first to create separate benefits, some you get just by status level, some you need the earned nights/stays/points/miles, and Marriott, who they seem to be gunning for, certainly does this. It lets them offer "status" without having to give the best status perks to those who qualify by credit card, by lifetime status, or by comped or matched status.

So I'm disappointed but certainly not surprised that I'm not getting suite upgrades or lounge access just for my $99.

But here's the interesting thing. IHG's milestone reward qualification is much lower than Marriott's. Marriot requires 50 nights to earn the 5 suite upgrade nights, or 35 if you have the credit card. With IHG, it's just 20.

Now that I'm not traveling for work, I'm unlikely to ever stay the 70 nights reach Spire/Diamond, so I never had any incentive to earn qualifying nights. But 20 is certainly possible, and if the confirmable suite upgrade turns out to be relatively easy to use (unlike, say, Marriott), then it's a level I might strive for. If I do move some nights to IHG to reach a milestone, well, that's exactly what IHG wants, so maybe job-well-done to the program designers.
The multi-step system is pretty smart and an improvement, though at the end of the day I am not sure if it beats Bonvoy.

I would say the 50 night Bonvoy Platinum (35 or even just 20 if you have a biz+personal card) is a worthwhile goal for a number of reasons: the upgrades at check-in, breakfasts, and lounge. The 5 suite upgrades don't seem to be worth a whole lot given you might get one anyway.

I rarely see a Bonvoy for less than $100, so $2,000 is probably the minimum spend if you have the 30 elite credits already.
IHG can be as low as $50, so 20 nights for $1,000 will get you $40 in food&beverage credit. A $2,000 spend would be 40 nights, and earn you lounge access similar to Bonvoy, but only $100 in F&B.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Smiley90
You must've not stayed in any US Hiltons recently... the whole breakfast benefit is one big mess right now. i WISH it was as simple as "just get breakfast"!
well yes, you are right, I should remember to add that caveat to comments about Hilton. I'm aware that, say, the Hilton that graces Chicago ORD airport has very little similarity with the hotel bearing the same name at Frankfurt airport
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:43 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
The multi-step system is pretty smart and an improvement, though at the end of the day I am not sure if it beats Bonvoy.
I think it will depend on the execution by IHG hotels and how likely upgrades are at time of check-in when not using upgrade certificates (which means, the vast majority of stays). Also it depends if we are comparing Marriott Ambassador vs IHG Diamond, or if we are comparing mid ter Marriott Platinum vs IHG Platinum.

Regarding upgrade certificates, the IHG ones have potential to be better than Marriott because it's 14 days before check-in compared to Bonvoy only 5 days. In addition, some Bonvoy properties don't even include suites in the room inventory eligible for SNAs which makes a mockery of the concept. If IHG upgrades to real suites, it will definitely be a better upgrade system than Marriott's SNAs.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by greggrant
It shouldn't be right. The app and website showed a target of 55 nights or 55k points to re-qualify up until 11 April 2022. It looks like IHG are changing this now and not re-qualifying those of us who achieved this goal. I've emailed them and await their reply.
The IHG T&Cs state clearly that if you have 55 nights or 55k points by 12 April 2022 you will re-qualify for the following calendar year, i.e. 2023. From the 13 April 2022 the new qualification nights/points apply (120k points or 70 nights). So, having achieved this on 2 April I should have had Spire re-qualification until 31/12/23. This would have then converted to Diamond on 13 April 2022, the start of the new programme. IHGs response to my enquiry didn't address the issue (not even close) so yet another email sent off today.
nawlins likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by escape4
I think it will depend on the execution by IHG hotels and how likely upgrades are at time of check-in when not using upgrade certificates (which means, the vast majority of stays). Also it depends if we are comparing Marriott Ambassador vs IHG Diamond, or if we are comparing mid ter Marriott Platinum vs IHG Platinum.

Regarding upgrade certificates, the IHG ones have potential to be better than Marriott because it's 14 days before check-in compared to Bonvoy only 5 days. In addition, some Bonvoy properties don't even include suites in the room inventory eligible for SNAs which makes a mockery of the concept. If IHG upgrades to real suites, it will definitely be a better upgrade system than Marriott's SNAs.
You forgot the main issue of SNA. Nothing is guarantees. IHG says it is guaranteed, AFAIK
escape4 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Has anyone seen the discounted award stays become effective yet? I'm a spire and the reward nights still appear to be the same as they are when I'm not signed in. I thought benefits such as this were supposed to go live today.
336 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Has anyone seen the discounted award stays become effective yet? I'm a spire and the reward nights still appear to be the same as they are when I'm not signed in. I thought benefits such as this were supposed to go live today.
The T's and C's say Eligible Platinum Elite, Diamond Elite and IHG One Rewards credit cardholders may receive exclusive access to select discounts on Reward Nights at participating hotels

So maybe we have to just wait for a hotel to participate in this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:22 am

The IHG T&Cs state clearly that if you have 55 nights or 55k points by 12 April 2022 you will re-qualify for the following calendar year, i.e. 2023. From the 13 April 2022 the new qualification nights/points apply (120k points or 70 nights). So, having achieved this on 2 April I should have had Spire re-qualification until 31/12/23. This would have then converted to Diamond on 13 April 2022, the start of the new programme. IHGs response to my enquiry didn't address the issue (not even close) so yet another email sent off today.
I have same issue. Hit 55 nights April 8 and still platinum. I booked the nights on a trip to Mexico thinking I needed 55 by the week of April 11. Will email IHG when I return. I would be interested in the response you receive from IHG.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
The T's and C's say Eligible Platinum Elite, Diamond Elite and IHG One Rewards credit cardholders may receive exclusive access to select discounts on Reward Nights at participating hotels

So maybe we have to just wait for a hotel to participate in this.
Emphasis on "may".
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by nawlins
I have same issue. Hit 55 nights April 8 and still platinum. I booked the nights on a trip to Mexico thinking I needed 55 by the week of April 11. Will email IHG when I return. I would be interested in the response you receive from IHG.
...and just to provide the exact opposite perspective, I was Spire, but am nowhere near 55 nights/ 55K points and yet the website tells me I'm diamond until 31/12/2023.

I wonder if my Ambassador membership, which doesn't expire until 03/2023 is confusing it.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond
It shouldn't be right. The app and website showed a target of 55 nights or 55k points to re-qualify up until 11 April 2022. It looks like IHG are changing this now and not re-qualifying those of us who achieved this goal. I've emailed them and await their reply.
Originally Posted by nawlins
I'll let you know how I get on.
nawlins likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG, Marriot, Emirates
The new IHG app update is available for IOS
uastarflyer and groenroos like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
Any new features or tangible difference? Android here but nothing new yet.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The App is very nicely organized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.