Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
A new season and a new IHG Accelerate promotion. Answers to some Frequently Asked Questions below:

For newcomers to IHG promotions, note that Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn (including Holiday Inn Resorts) are two different brand categories for these things. If your dashboard says 'stay at a Holiday Inn Express' as one of the tasks and you stay at a Holiday Inn, it will NOT credit for the Holiday Inn Express task. (and vice versa)

For a task that says 'Stay X number of times at a Holiday Inn Express' (or Holiday Inn, Intercontinental, etc.) each stay must be at a different property for it to fully credit rather than staying at the same property multiple times.

An award stay only counts toward a task that specifically requires an award stay and will not count toward other tasks and night requirements for the purposes of the promotion. (Award stays do count toward general elite qualification, but that's outside this promotion)

'Redeem points' award nights only count for the 'redeem points' task and no other tasks. (example- an award night does not count toward 'Stay X number of nights')

At IHG, points + cash stays are simply points stays where you bought some of the points at the time of the reservation. Once you finish the reservation, a points + cash stay shows as a points stay. Thus points + cash stays only count for tasks where they are specified, and not other tasks.

Other than the tasks for redeeming points and point + cash reservations, tasks are generally very stackable. Enjoy the game of figuring out how to get the most out of the least amount of nights and money.

Doing a points + cash booking and then cancelling it does NOT trigger a 'buy points' task completion. A 'buy points' task is a points transaction that is processed through points.com

The 'pay with your IHG credit card' task has typically been very slow to post. If it does within about two weeks of completing a stay, that's relatively quick, and it will often be several weeks beyond that, depending on when your statement closing date is and how IHG's system sweep is timed.

Some offers require booking within the promotion period in addition to staying during the promotion period.

Registration & dashboard link:

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/offers/accelerate2019
Print Wikipost

New Accelerate Promotion (May 01, 2019 - August 31, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by dagangwood
Similar experience here.
Yesterday, I got an email reply from IHG telling me that they have confirmed my progress as per my previous stays. Also, they already submitted it to their technical team for a fix and they should be updated accordingly.
Yep same here and same response.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I booked a points-and-cash stay today. Credit as a completed task was marked in my "Offers" account almost immediately. The points to pay the points end of the P&C were also deducted almost immediately. I have not yet received credit for the points for the task--not surprisingly--but once they post, will see if the points remain credited when I cancel this reservation.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Don't have much experience with IHG promos...Does check-out have to be completed by 8/31 for the purposes of completing a task, or would check-in by 8/31 count?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I booked a points-and-cash stay today. Credit as a completed task was marked in my "Offers" account almost immediately. The points to pay the points end of the P&C were also deducted almost immediately. I have not yet received credit for the points for the task--not surprisingly--but once they post, will see if the points remain credited when I cancel this reservation.
The points will show as additional points on top of what you bought.

Ie. 20k Hotel you paid 15k+cash there will be a transaction of 5k points+whatever your bonus for the task is and another of -20k for the redemption
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty

The points will show as additional points on top of what you bought.

Ie. 20k Hotel you paid 15k+cash there will be a transaction of 5k points+whatever your bonus for the task is and another of -20k for the redemption
That's not quite the sequence. The points used for the P&C redemption are immediately deducted from my total (as well as my CC being charged the cash portion--which as we all know will only be refunded in points should the reservation be canceled). The points for completing the task come later, perhaps before the stay I've scheduled (since my Accelerate dashboard already shows the task is completed). There are two questions here: will I earn a night credit and the bonus for the completed task if I don't show up? And will the points earned for the task stick if the P&C is canceled before the cancellation window? In the worst case scenario regarding the second quetion, I will get back the points I redeemed plus the points I bought but the completed task will be rescinded. In the best case scenario, I will get back the points redeemed and those bought while keeping the bonus points for the completed task and having one less task that I need to complete to earn the overall Accelerate bonus.

In other words, if x was my balance before the reservation, I'm now at x - 5K. If I don't cancel the reservation, I will not see any points deducted for the cash portion, but will I earn a bonus? Generally, you get no credit for a stay or for a bonus by failing to check in for a reservation. I suspect this may be the one situation where canceling the reservation is actually better than showing for the stay.

What I'm gambling on is that the task remains completed if I cancel before the deadline. Under that scenario, the math looks like this: x - 5K + 5K (the refunded points) + 4.5K (my Accelerate bonus) + 5K (the cash portion of the canceled reservation refunded in points). Or x + 9.5K at a cost of $40.

A risk? Yes. But worth the $40.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Originally Posted by dimon84
Yep same here and same response.
Then let's see how long it will take them to post our bonus points.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
That's not quite the sequence.
Would check your account because it’s exactly what has happened on my account. Surprised it would be different.

In in my case it was 15k and I paid 10k+£24.

Straight after have +9.5k(5k+4.5k for the bonus which is now completed) in my account and -15k for the redemption.

Will you get night credits if you don’t show up? No not unless someone at front desk messes up. Will the 4.5k stock if you cancel who knows I would have tried if it wasn’t a discounted pointsbreak property I actually wanted to stay at.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm still unable to register. IHG customer service said Accelerate does not appear under my offers. Really weird that make this promotion targeted all of the sudden and then make even Gold members ineligible.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I'm still unable to register. IHG customer service said Accelerate does not appear under my offers. Really weird that make this promotion targeted all of the sudden and then make even Gold members ineligible.
I don't be understand their logic. Why alienate good customers and have them go elsewhere? Makes no sense to me. I rebooked a room last month to a different chain because of this. I still have a room booked in November for a month in Dubai and plan to cancel if there's no offers for me
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I don’t get this. How can I have 25% complete for the first offer and nothing complete for second offer?

Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty

Would check your account because it’s exactly what has happened on my account. Surprised it would be different.

In in my case it was 15k and I paid 10k+£24.

Straight after have +9.5k(5k+4.5k for the bonus which is now completed) in my account and -15k for the redemption.

Will you get night credits if you don’t show up? No not unless someone at front desk messes up. Will the 4.5k stock if you cancel who knows I would have tried if it wasn’t a discounted pointsbreak property I actually wanted to stay at.
I have received credit for the 4.5K bonus points in my account and have canceled the reservation. The 4.5K bonus, the 5K used, and the 5K purchased have been placed in my account. Now, I'll wait to see if the 4.5K gets clawed back and the completed task rescinded. If not, I'm ahead of the game; if not, I bought 5K points, spent $40 to test my theory, and still have nearly two months to book and complete a C&P stay.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:41 am

It's been 2+ weeks since my stay and my accelerate hasn't updated yet. Should I be chatting with them? It's tough for me to track my progress. I know a few folks have had this issue. Any updates?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by emofeng
It's been 2+ weeks since my stay and my accelerate hasn't updated yet. Should I be chatting with them? It's tough for me to track my progress. I know a few folks have had this issue. Any updates?
Mine updated half way. See few post above.

Let me know now if you contact them and what the result is.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I'm an infrequent IHG customer, but my Accelerate offer actually has tempted me to shuffle summer travel stays toward IHG properties. I think it's a good offer, certainly for my travel patterns and needs.

12,000 - Discover Our Brands
Stay at 2 brands and get 12,000 bonus points

8,000 - Saturday Stays Bonus
Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 8,000 bonus points.

4,500 - Stay for Less and Earn
Book 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash and earn 4,500 bonus points. Points & Cash allows you to book Reward Nights with fewer points.

5,600 - Stay at 2 IHG® Hotels
Stay at 2 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 5,600 bonus points.

30,100 - Your Achievement Bonus
Complete 4 of the 4 offers and earn (an additional) 30,100 bonus points

So, basically, two two-night weekend stays at different brands, plus one Points and Cash booking, for 60,200 bonus points.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by emofeng
As a data point for you to decide if it's time to escalate, I completed 2 of my Accelerate tasks with a 2-day stay at an HIX this past weekend (Friday and Saturday night stay). The points (including the Accelerate task bonus points) posted to my account by Tuesday morning and my Accelerate dashboard was updated accordingly.

I should note that this is my first time actually taking part in the Accelerate promo so I have no prior experience to gauge this against.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.