Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

I really doubt it. However you slice it, the program is going down - not up - and I doubt they’d reverse a years old policy that your points are effectively a liability for them and they prefer you don’t use them.

Though I guess the points have to be accounted for. So rather than an ever-growing liability IHG'd prefer you to use up your points one way or another.

I don't suppose the hotels mind too much, unless they are convinced there's an opportunity cost involved - though i believe they get well compensated if the hotel has high occupancy on the night of you reward stay.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Though I guess the points have to be accounted for. So rather than an ever-growing liability IHG'd prefer you to use up your points one way or another.

I don't suppose the hotels mind too much, unless they are convinced there's an opportunity cost involved - though i believe they get well compensated if the hotel has high occupancy on the night of you reward stay.
I think the point reimbursement rate at the hotels are fixed rates, that explains why some hotels intentionally remove reward bookings on certain dates. If ihg wants to reduce the liability on their books, they’d devalue the points which they have been doing.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:17 pm

If the changes go into effect, I would expect the annual membership fee to go up, possibly by $50.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BaconSF

I think the point reimbursement rate at the hotels are fixed rates, that explains why some hotels intentionally remove reward bookings on certain dates. If ihg wants to reduce the liability on their books, they’d devalue the points which they have been doing.
incorrect, hotels can not remove as IHG program has "No Blackout Dates for Award Nights"

Instead IHGers are booking such in demand nights like NYE a full 11months out, and since availability is 5% of rooms, not last room in basic category, nothing is then available

Further on a soldout NYE, an hotel doesn't the usual pittance from IHG, but the averaged rate across all rooms that night (entry/deluxe/suites averaged out) so hotel doesn't really care. In fact it is not unusual for larger hotels 200rooms plus, if comfortably over 95% threshold, to release last few rooms on points at last minute knowing IHG will have to pay same as a cash booking.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by BaconSF

Reimbursement is fixed until the hotel reaches 95% occupancy, st which point they get a pretty solid kickback. I’ve seen times where standard rooms are sold out but available on points - which is a bit of an extreme case.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
incorrect, hotels can not remove as IHG program has "No Blackout Dates for Award Nights“
It is advertised as No black-out dates, however there surely are hotels who blackout dates. IHG does very little about this. I have experienced this in the past more than once.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold

I’ve seen times where standard rooms are sold out but available on points - which is a bit of an extreme case.
This has happened when I was trying to book IC Singapore. The standard rooms are sold out but the award night rooms are available. Upon check-in, I have discussed my observation with the Club Manager and was told that under IHG policy, the hotel is committed to offer "X" number of award rooms daily. So even if the award rooms are not booked and the hotel is booked solid, they have to keep the award rooms for redemption and not sell them.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I hope the free night cert allows for cancellation. Often rates change and I re-book but if I have an e-voucher, will that still be possible?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:16 am

Reimbursement is fixed until the hotel reaches 95% occupancy, st which point they get a pretty solid kickback. I’ve seen times where standard rooms are sold out but available on points - which is a bit of an extreme case.
I have taken advantage of this at IC's before, entry level room available only on points (not on cash), and sometimes only expensive suite left, sometimes no other rooms available.
Still even get RA upgrade where IC treats awards same as paid, as usually lower room types oversold and some high cat rooms unsold and will be used to upgrade oversold mid cat rooms or RAs/Ambs

Agreed occurs where the required 5% of rooms made available as awards each night are not all taken up, but hotel must keep the 5% awards on sale
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by chistery
I hope the free night cert allows for cancellation. Often rates change and I re-book but if I have an e-voucher, will that still be possible?
Since IHG haven't formally announced any of this, no one can answer that at this point. However, considering the free night cert requires you to book the expensive flexible rates, why would you not be able to do so?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
Since IHG haven't formally announced any of this, no one can answer that at this point. However, considering the free night cert requires you to book the expensive flexible rates, why would you not be able to do so?
Based on what’s written on the website now it is cancelable before 48 hours of check-in

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/content/us/en/ambassador/new-benefits?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by chistery
Rebook is a)cancel b)book again.

Bogo Cert as not expired, you can't use physical bogo cert past it's expiry date (like one can do with CC or IHG free night certs) will return to account to be reused

Will be interesting if bogo once becomes e-cert then allows booking before expires for a date past end date of ones bogo . If it does then of course not returned similar to other expired freenight certs
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:54 pm

Have updated Wiki as foc Breakfast is ONLY for Greater China

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...r/new-benefits

NEW EXCLUSIVE BENEFITS STARTING IN EARLY 2019:
• Platinum Elite status in IHG® Rewards Club
• Up to USD20 restaurants & bars credit for every stay***
• Ambassador Benefits Guarantee to ensure you make the most out of every stay
• E-delivery of complimentary weekend night certificate

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
• One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
• 15% discount on restaurants and bars

Last edited by scubaccr; Dec 16, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
So IC HKG will get breakfast now? That’s pretty good, as it is rather good.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:18 pm

NEW EXCLUSIVE BENEFITS STARTING IN EARLY 2019:
• Platinum Elite status in IHG® Rewards Club

Wonder if this means IHG are finally closing the unofficial but well known "loophole" wherby some get Spire just once then buy Ambassador each year for usd150 to maintain/renew Spire without qualifying on 75kEQP's or 75nights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.