Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerTalker688786
Ambassador programme will change on 1st February 2019. This will start with Royal Ambassador's benefits. Then, all other Ambassador will have new benefits from 1st March 2019.

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from 1st FEB 2019 will be:
  1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY [CONFIRMED AS IN GREATER CHINA REGION ONLY, On 1st March, it seems IHG quietly made a U-turn again, now this benefit only APPLIES TO IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY, Hong Kong IC hotels are excluded on the last minute U-turn.]
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

For all other Ambassadors, the new benefit starts on 1st MARCH 2019:
  1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:
One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
15% discount on restaurants and bars

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:
  1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.
Print Wikipost

Changes to Ambassador from 1st March 2019 (now confirmed)

Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Apologies ... can someone confirm that this benefit change only applies at IC hotels and there continue to be no free breakfasts at other IHG properties?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
only 1 breakfast? that's kinda stingy, isn't it?

all other hotel programs gave their top tier elite breakfast for two.
Most chain hotels where have a club lounge usually don't offer full breakfast for top tier members. Just grant access to a club.
For RA, Club + 1 full breakfast or 2 full breakfast. So it's better I guess.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Originally Posted by chongcao
no, I don't consider it as a failure. First of all, a room cost US10,000 a night, it would be a big suite. Currently there is restriction on suite upgrade. So I doubt any seasoned RAs would book a big suite cost $10,000 then complain about no upgrade. They know full well from current T&C that big suite is excluded. Second, the most expensive IC standard room is about US$750, which makes reward of USD50 or 10,000 Points compensation looks not that bad. Third, if you spend US750 for a room and not get any upgrade, you get nothing but a bottle of one of the hotel is nice at this moment. At least from March you are guaranteed to get something in return. Forth, this measure is designed to lure lower tier ambassadors. RA already enjoyed guaranteed upgrades. It is more likely that lower tier ambassadors will benefit from this measure. RA do not needs to worry.

Majority of the people staying in the IC will benefit. That us because majority of IC guest stay typical under 2 nights and mostly book the most basic and a level up categories.

if you are the type spending USD10,000 a night without thinking booking a lower category room, you are unlikely to even think about upgrade and compensation. Different clientele.
I think the original poster meant 10.000 total spend, not per night.
boekel likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
The point is there is always someone unhappy about any changes. Finding fault seems to be FTs common sense of entitlement. I for o e would be the wait and see approach. And I know I will stay in IC more often with free breakfast.
Once again, thanks for this information.

One thing not explicitly mentioned - does RA still get two level upgrade?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
no, I don't consider it as a failure. First of all, a room cost US10,000 a night, it would be a big suite. Currently there is restriction on suite upgrade. So I doubt any seasoned RAs would book a big suite cost $10,000 then complain about no upgrade. They know full well from current T&C that big suite is excluded. Second, the most expensive IC standard room is about US$750, which makes reward of USD50 or 10,000 Points compensation looks not that bad. Third, if you spend US750 for a room and not get any upgrade, you get nothing but a bottle of one of the hotel is nice at this moment. At least from March you are guaranteed to get something in return. Forth, this measure is designed to lure lower tier ambassadors. RA already enjoyed guaranteed upgrades. It is more likely that lower tier ambassadors will benefit from this measure. RA do not needs to worry.

Majority of the people staying in the IC will benefit. That us because majority of IC guest stay typical under 2 nights and mostly book the most basic and a level up categories.

if you are the type spending USD10,000 a night without thinking booking a lower category room, you are unlikely to even think about upgrade and compensation. Different clientele.
exactly it was meant at least 10000 USD per night. And now lets stay with your example. You book a standard room for four nights for lets say 500 USD. They can refuse an upgrade to a RA and come away with a paltry 50 USD voucher or even cash reduction. If this is adequate for you then fine, but I cannot imagine any other RA accepting such things. This has the potential to kill the whole program
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
source of this info?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
I foresee a sticky thread where members post their experiences with hotels providing a $$ voucher instead of an upgrade, so that we can evaluate whether there is a pattern at certain properties. For those who prefer an upgrade that could be a reason to avoid these properties, for those who prefer the voucher it could be a reason to chose such properties.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
so wait. all bad changes. hotels usually try to sugar coat by claiming SOMETHING is good. what is good?

looks like finally i can rip the RA chain and not look back. lets make 2019 count!!!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
My takes:
every loyalty program is nowadays focusing on attracting new members and at the same time they unfortunately diss the loyal customers. Same way this is a succesful move from my viewpoint - I am happy as new Amb to see these enhancements to my favor, while I can see enhancements for RAs.

I only hope they implement any IT updates after new year so that the Spire extension thing still works
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Is there still a difference in benefits for point stays??
EDIflyer and barracuda93 like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Recalling that a stay at a Kimpton was included in the recent RA challenge letters, what would be positive for me with these new breakfast benefits, would be the inclusion of Kimpton hotels in the Ambassador programme.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boekel
exactly it was meant at least 10000 USD per night. And now lets stay with your example. You book a standard room for four nights for lets say 500 USD. They can refuse an upgrade to a RA and come away with a paltry 50 USD voucher or even cash reduction. If this is adequate for you then fine, but I cannot imagine any other RA accepting such things. This has the potential to kill the whole program
How about instead of 'assuming hotel will screw every member', but focus on 'how I am going to beat this policy'?

Hotel intentionally not upgrade RA or SA/PA will see people voting with their wallet and feet. I don't think hotels will intentionally not to upgrade members who entitled for upgrade just for the sake of giving $50 or 10,000 points out. You have too much negative energy in focusing hotel being a dishonest bean counter. There are too much ifs and ifs in your question.

Yes to answer your question, yes I think USD$50 or 10,000 points is very adequate. Because, you expect what you paid for. You booked a standard room, you get a standard room, that is no fault according to the booking contract. Upgrade is a gesture, not entitlement. Now IHG is recognising Ambassador Upgrade as benefit that can be compensated by voucher or points, is a step forward to the right direction. I don't think there are many competitors doing the same for their members.

If you don't think it is adequate, you are welcome to choose other hotel groups who could give you more. We are all free agent. But before you are denied many upgrades you would have, why not wait and see what is going to happen then judge?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ianwall
Apologies ... can someone confirm that this benefit change only applies at IC hotels and there continue to be no free breakfasts at other IHG properties?

I don't think anybody is in a position to confirm anything.

Unless you are asking for confirmation of someone's interpretation of rumour
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denkigroove
Is there still a difference in benefits for point stays??
I don't know for sure. But my take from the wiki is that breakfast guarantee MAY be available for award stays. Normal RA upgrade and Club lounge may be available for award stays. The rest is not guaranteed. There is no mention about whether Ambassador benefit Guarantee would apply to award stay or not, only said it is applied to Ambassador members. So potentially it can go both ways. I think we just need to be patient to wait IHG to post the full T&C in January.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northernstar84
source of this info?
Please kindly refer to the previous post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.