Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador Experiences 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:05 am

IC Downtown Los Angeles

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Executive King. Funnily enough, was told at check-in that I had been upgraded to an Executive King. Not the case, that was what I booked.

How are the rooms?
Nice rooms with modern decor. No WOW factor but perfectly fine.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not worth the expense. Seating is uncomfortable and offerings were extremely limited. Topped off with snooty attitude - this is a miss.
What was good and what was bad?
The elevator situation is intolerable. The address is listed as Wilshire but the entrance is actually off of 7th Street. The result is that Uber drops you off at the wrong place. The lobby is on the 70th floor so you must take elevator up to check in then another elevator down to your room. Not all elevators go to all floors. It was a total mess when I was there for leisure. My second visit I was there for a conference and it was even worse with a nearly full hotel. At the Hyatt in NYC, the lobby is on an upper floor but when you enter the lobby, there is a desk where they take your name. They then call up to the front desk to alert them to your arrival while you take the elevator up. When you arrive, they have your name and are ready to check you in. Here, no one greets you at the entrance and you are left to figure out the crazy elevator scheme on your own.
The concierge sent us off to a restaurant within the hotel that turned out to be closed. The only breakfast option is the buffett and it was definitely not worth the money. There is a coffee bar on the ground floor but it is not run by the hotel so you cannot charge the expensive coffee to your room. Dinner at Spire was good but very pricey.
The pool area is actually not that large. Cabanas take up a good bit of the space and they are extremely pricey. Just outside the pool fence is a casual restaurant which makes the pool area seem larger than it really is.
In general, the staff is lacking in experience and seem to have the attitude you are lucky to be in their space. This is quite a different vibe than other ICs in my experience.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
As we did not enjoy our stays (2 nights on the first visit, 3 on the second conference visit), the value was not good. Will never stay there again. The IC in Century City is older but the staff is incredible. I am going back there and if I have to be downtown, will stay at the Ritz or the JW.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
IC The Palazzo Las Vegas

IC The Palazzo Las Vegas

Booked the basic Luxury Suite 1 King Bed 720 sq feet; one night on points, two nights paid. Check-in at 6 p.m., showed no King suites with view (1 upgrade) ready. They asked me if a 1200 sq ft suite with 2 "extended queens" would be agreeable. I'm not sure what it's called (room 40-805). Double door suite entry, very long marble hall, separate bedroom (with door), 3 televisions, 2 bathrooms (bedroom and hall), lots of chairs, loveseats, dining table, desk, long bar area along the back wall; not a strip view--"mountain view".

How are the rooms?
The rooms are all beautiful and opulent (I've stayed often). I am always quite happy in a regular King luxury suite with a view of The Strip and pools. This upgraded suite was a bit overkill for 2 people, plus the view was more "mellow" (top of Sands Center, mountains and city in the distance). Love using a remote control for the drapes, the marble dual sink bathrooms, giant bathtub, fancy shower, makeup table, huge sectional sofa . . .

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Surprised they hadn't blocked a room for me by the time of my early evening arrival. Since the nights had to be booked separately (1st one on points) perhaps they hadn't hadn't noticed the other two nights. Multi level upgrade was generous. Nothing was bad, everything was outstanding. Customer service at checkin and checkout is A+ now, asked if I would like a 4 p.m. checkout which I took. Reminded me about the 1 free movie. At checkout offered to print out the boarding passes. Prior to my stay I had called the concierge and he was A++. Amenity was fruit (apples, banana, pear, orange), salt water taffy and 2 bottles of water. Restaurants and service in this resort complex (includes Venetian) are outstanding. Resort fee of $51 (including tax) is annoying but that's Vegas now.

Will definitely return. If any IC is worth 60K points, it's this one. Room rates vary hugely depending on dates--1st night was $400+ (used points), next night $126, then $200. So many things to see and do in the Palazzo/Venetian resort, you could keep yourself well fed and entertained for many days. But paradise here does come at a price.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Hyatt Globalist
IC Milwaukee

Let me give a brief intro. My intent was to get to Chicago, but storms hit ORD and we diverted to MKE, then were eventually allowed to deplane. My work schedule permitted me to stay in MKE and take Amtrak the next morning, so I booked a 2 double room for like $135 on my corporate rate at 8:45pm for the same night before jumping in a Lyft to go to the hotel.

Upon arrival, the host thanked me for my IHG status, but mentioned nothing about my Ambassador status. I’m Spire Ambassador. One of my last IC stats was also extremely last minute at the IC Barclay and I got none of my Ambassador amenities, so I mentioned that I would like at least the waters delivered to my room. The host seemed to have trouble finding my Ambassador status but then found it, but told me I am required to book my room through Ambassador to get my Ambassador amenities.

I went to my room and and then called the service number to complain and ask for my upgrade. They told me to stay put just a few minutes and they would call me right back. A few moments later (less than 10 minutes), the original host called me back saying I would be moving to a king deluxe suite, and would receive 2 drink & 1 breakfast coupon. A porter would be knocking on my door very soon with that, to take me to my new room. Someone else would follow closely with my water & fruit amenity.

The porter arrived as Ed as advertised and explained this hotel lacks a club, so Ambassadors receive 2 free drinks & breakfast.

I will also point out that, until the porter arrived, I was ready to call IHG Ambassador & demand a refund because I renewed in March and still to this day do not have my certificate & this would be 2 times in a row of service failures. But the hotel fixed it for me without a fuss.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? 2 double beds. Got a deluxe king suite (not actually a suite, just a large corner room, but it was a nice upgrade).

How are the rooms? Old but nice

How is the exec. lounge? N/A. Free drink coupons and free breakfast coupons replace the club

What was good and what was bad? Service failure at first but then they recovered satisfactorily with a minimal delay

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Very reasonable last minute booking rate. Yes, would return
FLYGVA likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
IC Park Lane - London

Booked Classic, I believe it was, as an award stay. Was informed I had been upgraded (one category); wasn't expecting a suite, so whatever I got would've been pretty much okay.

Welcome amenities of a plate of fruit and liter bottle of water per day provided. Also, a coupon for free drink + appetizer (starter) given at check-in.

How are the rooms?

I felt it was a rather nice room, with lots of space. Especially quiet, and good light-proofing as well.
​​​​​​
​​How is the exec. lounge?
​​​​No mention made of paying for access, and I didn't ask.

​​I had neglected to latch the door upon arrival, so rather startled reading in bed a bit later when another guest proceeded to open the door with his new key, putting down his bag. He good-naturedly returned to reception to sort out his lodgings, while I called guest services about it. Subsequently, a bottle of wine and a cheese plate delivered with a note from the manager comping breakfast for both days of my stay.

The back-to-back nights were not "seamless" as my keys expired at noon each day, requiring me to traipse back to the desk (London was having a heat wave at the time). Housekeeping had thought I was checking out after the first night, though they were fine with "Okay, you're 'adding' (staying over) another night."

They were very good about a 4pm checkout as an Ambassador benefit.

In this case, the value wasn't bad, because I was able to use my Chase Free Night + 70K. Since that will no longer be possible, 140K for two nights would be steep I think.
FLYGVA and chrism20 like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
IC London Park Lane

Intercontinental London Park Lane

Booked a London Superior, got a One Bedroom Suite.

How are the rooms?
Great. Obviously huge compared with expectations. Modern, fresh.

How is the exec. lounge?
Didn’t use

+ Staff - all fantastic
+ Upgrade - unexpected several levels on my first ever stay
+ Location, close to tube, Piccadilly, Mayfair, Hyde Park etc etc
+ Taxi rank at the front door, super useful if (when) it rains
+ Generous with Spire freebie drinks : )
- (minor) Was put on a floor undergoing renovations without warning, but only minor impact (plastic sheets on floor in corridors) and no noise.

Yes, already book next stay - it’s my new go-to in London. Previously Renaissance St Pancras, which is also wonderful.
FLYGVA and chrism20 like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Intercontinental San Juan

Intercontinental San Juan

Booked a double bed laguna view for 1 night. That was the only room available for rewards night. Received a King bed room in the Club area. Separate wing from the main building.

How are the rooms?

Room was very nice. Slightly bigger than a standard room. Very modern. Very clean. TV was large.

How is the exec. lounge?

Nothing overly special. The food wasn't anything to write home about. Still was nice to have though. Didn't have to buy breakfast. Free cocktails in the evening.

Service was good. Pool area is large. There is a guard to ensure only IC guests are using the pool area. Everything was very clean. Many restaurants on the property, many within walking distance.

View from the Club area was strange. I was on the first floor. Outdoor view was of a very large bush. Couldn't see the ocean, or even the pool area for that matter. That was my biggest complaint.

45,000 points and $30 cash (points and cash offer). To get a club room at a IC was not a bad redemption value at all. It was close to .9 cents a point when you factor in all of the taxes and fees I didn't have to pay. If I was in San Juan, I would stay there again. I don't know that I am dying to go to San Juan anytime soon though.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
IC The Willard Washington DC

IC The Willard Washington DC

Booked standard room, Deluxe King, paid night. Received upgrade to Willard King.

How are the rooms? Very nice upgrade, room was approx 500 sq feet, view of the inner courtyard, 8th floor. Besides king bed there was a sofa, arm chairs, coffee table, desk/chair, espresso machine (no directions how to use it), large marble bathroom with tub and shower.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? This hotel is historic, beautiful lobby, very close to the White House. While the room was somewhat dated, that's what one would expect here. The rooms/halls felt like a White House ambiance--blue & gold colors, white & gray marble, colonial dark wood furniture, fleur-di-lis wallpaper. At 7 p.m. I called to inquire about the amenity; fruit plate promptly delivered.

Only problem was getting a reservation for the Cafe du Parc restaurant. I'd forgotten it was Mother's Day, so when I arrived at noon was not able to get a table for lunch--understandable. I then I asked for a 7 p.m. dinner reservation and was told they were fully booked for dinner as well. Inquired at the front desk and received the same response; further told I could do Private Dining (aka room service) or eat in the bar. Went to the Round Robin bar and had a salad for lunch. While I was there, two people from the front desk came to say they would try to get me a dinner reservation (which they did). Arrived for dinner, hostess said my name was not on the list. I noticed that only 4 tables were occupied, the other 20+ were empty. I asked if I could please be seated for dinner and she obliged. So no idea why I was initially turned away and told the restaurant was totally full for dinner.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? I would return if the price was right, $200 range. Would not use that many points here.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
InterContinental Sofia

InterContinental Sofia

Booked 2xKing Bed Club Intercontinental received 1x1 King Bed Junior Suite (AMB upgrade) + 1xKing Bed Club Intercontinental
The Service Desk manager advised 1 King Bed Junior Suite is currently the highest available suite (the hotel is still being renovated)

How are the rooms?
The hotel is still smelling new. My suite was great. It was spacious with handy power outlets (including USB ports) and enough light.
In the bath there were L'Occitane toiletries, shower cabin with rainfall + bathtub. The strange thing was that there was no towel rack at the end of the bathtub like I am used to (the towels are under the sink).
The only negative side of the room was that the safe was not able to accommodate my 14" laptop in normal laying down position - I was able to put the laptop inside the safe but it was too big to close the door. Upon informing the frond desk agent she advised that she will pass the information.

How is the exec. lounge?
Small and quite located on the first floor on the left of the reception. We didn't see more than 4 people beside us. The staff was courteous. I highly recommend ordering Eggs Benedict for breakfast
I stayed during my birthday and was nicely surprised during my birthday's breakfast. Three ladies from the staff were singing Happy birthday and I received a cheesecake with macaroons and strawberries
+Staff (Especially the Service Desk manager)
+Location
+Room
+Club lounge
+Birthday cheesecake
+I had some initial issues with my AMB in room benefits which were sorted by the Service Desk manager lady

-Room safe (hopefully will be fixed soon)
-I heard the restaurant is not ready yet (we ate mostly outside) - the Mezzanine bar serves food until 11pm

Rate ~200EUR/night (best flexible + 1000points/night) . Not too low but I will definitely return.
FLYGVA and turner32 like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
IC London Park Lane

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?​​​​​​​
Booked a Classic Room using 70,000 rewards points. Received a Palace Suite (not usually bookable online).

How are the rooms​​​​​​​​​​​​​​?
Rooms spacious and well kept. Great views and given the proximity to the road they are also quiet.

How is the exec. lounge?
Lounge was very good. Staff attentive and afternoon tea was a treat.

Whole stay excellent. Didn’t expect such a significant room upgrade - I was informed at check in it was to say thank you for my loyalty, but I don’t use this hotel particularly often! Was also given a GBP15 mini bar voucher on top of the usual Ambassador welcome amenity.

Great value for points. I think the Palace Suites have a usual room rate of over GBP1000 per night so to get one on points is a result! Would definitely return.
  • ​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old May 30, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: OW Sapp, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Intercontinental Beijing Sanlitun

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
OK (half/half)

Booked Deluxe, Received Deluxe Room (just higher floor) (or maybe it is their premier room)

How are the rooms?
Hotel is pretty new, rooms are intelligently designed, high-tech. Mini-bar non-alcohol drinks are complimentary (aka. include in your rate). Beds are great.

How is the exec. lounge?
NA

Good: Friendly staff, quick response. Great location for work or leisure.

Bad: No real upgrade. Slightly overpriced.

Paid stay would be more worth to do so. May not be return given the average price of hotel in BJ in not that high.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:52 pm

Intercontinental New York Times Square

Intercontinental New York Times Square

Booked a skyview corner and was told at check-in that they do not upgrade beyond that. I understand why hotels exclude their top suites or villas, but to exclude every single suite, including what would pass as a junior suite is really stingy. If every hotel did that, then the Ambassafor program would lose a lot of value.
Regardless, they offered either 5000 points or breakfast instead, so we opted for breakfast which I think is a pretty good "compensation".

How are the rooms?
They aren't really bigger than the basic rooms and it felt a bit cramped with a big suitcase. It's just higher, and being on the 30th floor when buildings around are 50 floors high means that there's nothing fantastic about the "sky view". I enjoyed looking down the traffic.
Soundproofing isn't very good. I'm used to city noises so that's fine. Our room had a communicating door with the room nearby, and that was more annoying.
The bathroom, although not huge, was definitely bigger than average.
Apart from that it's what you'd expect from a modern Intercon: understated, well appointed room and bathroom, great bed. The only disappointing thing was the Keurig coffee machine; at that level I'd have hoped for Nespresso.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
  • Everything was on par with expectations for a city IC. Nothing missing, nothing really bad: you clearly can't go wrong with it.
  • Welcome drink as Spire includes the very nice cocktails at their bar.
  • Location is excellent with so many metro lines nearby
  • Ambassador check-in was handled well. They offered the points/breakfast in lieu of the upgrade without me asking, and breakfast for two is honestly worth more than the difference with a room one category below.
Bad:
  • See comment above about not upgrading beyond executive rooms.
  • No welcome gift (unless the two chocolates count as welcome gift, either way it's not great)
Assuming you want to stay in the area, then yes. On a good day the entry-level rooms will cost maybe 250 USD / night when you add the "resort" fee, which I guess is good value for central NYC. Higher level rooms aren't different so I wouldn't spent too much extra on them. On points I think the value is OK too. You're going to be upwards of 50k points anyway, so might as well go to a hotel where you know that nothing will go wrong.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC Geneva

IC Geneva

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? We booked a superior room for 45,000 points. We received a two level upgrade to an excutive room.

How are the rooms? Comfortable. Black out blinds were superb. Our corner room had a bed, desk, sofa and coffee table plus there was a dining area with two stools against the window. We didn’t eat in the room. Bathroom had a rainforest shower and no bath. Upgraded amenities included mouthwash, razor and two toothbrushes.

How is the exec. lounge? NA

What was good and what was bad? Welcome snack was a fruit plate with a peach, a plum and a nectarine. There was a bottle of Evian and one of Badoit in addition to the plastic bottle of generic mineral water. Our welcome gift was an IC branded golfball. Pretty useless really. There was a Nespresso machine with four assorted capsules, two sachets of hot choc and five assorted tea bags. The weather was great so we spent most of our time in or by the pool.
Breakfast was pricey - 84CHF for the two of us so we ate the fruit and made a coffee and hot choc in the room. We ate lunch by the pool instead. The staff were excellent greeting us by name. We were offered toblerones when we checked in and more when we checked out.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? At 45,000 points and with all Ambassador benefits honoured this was great value. Location is not central but the free travel pass issued by the hotel can be used to travel to town and the airport. This was our second visit and we would return.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
IC New Orleans

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Booked King Superior, Received King Superior

How are the rooms?
Decent. The bathroom was disappointing but the bedroom was a large size with a comfortable bed
​​​​
How is the exec. lounge?
They don't have one

How was the minibar?
Didn't look

Good
When they were unable to upgrade me they gave me breakfast instead. As it was just me and I was only using the room to sleep, a $25 buffet breakfast was a really nice treat.
Staff are great
​​​​​​
Bad:
No lounge
Valet Parking is $50 a night

Value for € or Priority Club Points?
It's a great location and the staff are really friendly though $201 a night on a weekend is a little high

Would you return?
Possibly. There are a lot of NO hotels so I can definitely shop around next time.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Intercontinental Budapest

What is your Priority Club Status?
Platinum Ambassador
Booked a King Executive Room with River View using weekend Amb certificate - received the same
How are the rooms?
Good size but very dated
How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent - the best thing about the hotel in my view
I was using my free weekend night certificate - they flatly refused an Amb upgrade quoting the rules regarding certificate use (even though they let me book a King Exec room in the first place).
The leisure facilities and exec. lounge are very nice, as are most of the staff.
Using the weekend certificate cost 450 EUR for the two nights. I would value it about that. I certainly wouldn't see it as being worth the full rate which should have been about 900 EUR (although as everyone knows, if not using the certificate few would pay the full rack rate).
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
IC Lisbon

InterContinental Lisbon, Portugal

What is your IHG Status?

Spire Ambassador

One bed Exec River View booked, received upgrade (I think 2 cat?) to Junior Suite, on the 6th floor overlooking the park.

How are the rooms?
Very spacious, nice separate seating area with sofa, desk/chair. Massive bathroom with 2 sinks, separate bath/shower. Shower superb - rainfall plus jets from both sides plus handheld. Lots of luggage storage space/safe/Nespresso.

How is the exec. lounge?
No access

Friendly & welcoming staff. Very nice decor, esp in main reception/ground floor area. AMB 2nd night correctly removed, with only €1 city tax to pay on 2nd night. Good location for airport bus and Metro into the main city centre.
Nice bathroom and plentiful amenities supplied. Shame no Club access on suite upgrade but knew this would be the case in advance. Had to remind them to remove movie charge at checkout but they did it straight away without any quibble.
Nice fruit bowl, lots of bottled water supplied, no newspaper.

With AMB cert, yes - paid €317 (€315 + €1 city tax per night), 2nd night would have been €340 but covered by cert. At €158.50/night was decent value although no breakfast made it a little pricey, but good fruit bowl provided so had a healthier option!
Would return either with cert or on points.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by EDIflyer; Jun 19, 2018 at 5:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.