Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton De Witt Hotel Amsterdam (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 10:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Update NOV2022

First of all,

OMG - like most folks are like so LA ?!

- in normal Georgielander tone : crikey, all them for a quick nosh!
Glad to see Americans have returned at Kimpton Amsterdam, we heard the OMG and the "like" word in stereo amongst us.
You can say a lot of Mrs. Hubbard but there seemed to be a loud American woman in everyone present, especially after the third round of drinks
Especially during the Kimpton social hour with a tipple along the way...... glad travel is on the rebound as it is heavenly to people watch.

Can report wine + nibble being served from the lobby, exactly as nicolas75 experienced.
(nibble was poached salmon cream)
From 16.00 till 17.00 daily.

Wine + Nibble presentation in the lobby,
also promo for Kimpton's restaurant Celia

Brand of the wines - non alcoholic upon request: just ask the friendly supervisor or the bearded man, both more than happy to assist!

This is the current welcome letter in English

Welcome letter front

Welcome letter back

And i wish to stress out that there are road resurfacing works outside the hotel.
New tram tracks, new road design and soon to be asphalted lanes are currently obstructing easy direct access to the hotel.
If one is walking from Amsterdam Centraal railways station it is still easy to traverse (beware of mud etc,)
but for those arriving by car / taxi there might be a detour via Spuistraat to reach Nieuwe Zijjdse Voorburgwal at the front entrance of the hotel.
There wil be noise during daytime.
Ask the hotel for rooms facing the inner court if you are weak against noise.

This will last until at least 23rd December 2022 (wishful thinking)
More info on GVB
https://reisinfo.gvb.nl/nl/omleiding...ds-voorburgwal
Municipal government:
https://www.amsterdam.nl/projecten/nieuwezijds/
https://www.amsterdam.nl/projecten/n...wezijds-noord/

Actual situation NOV 2022

Nieuwe Zijds Voorburgwal street : hotel front entrance
Don't wear any white bridal dress this autumn / winter
It will be muddy & murky for a while

Left is the hotel
Taxis will need to detour via Spuistraat or Nieuwe Zijdse Voorburgwal via the Royal Palace/Police station to reach the hotel front entrance
or will need to drop / pick up passengers at the building right because they can't cross the open tramrails

To show you the impact and reach of these works, see below the impossibility of crossing the road / tram tracks.
For both pedestrians and cars:
The only opportunity is at the police station / royal palace

Shot from the 6floor to give an insight at the scale of effect at Nieuwe Zijds Voorburgwal

Crossing the tramrails for pedestrians is only possible at intersection Nieuwendijk - Martelaarsgracht
Taxi / Car drop off would be best at beginning of Spuistraat at hotel sint Nicolaas

After traversing this in the pouring rain,
Soaking wet
I felt like Helen Sharp...
i was glad to see that the hotel provided me as InnerCircle an upgraded selection of loose leaf teas to soothe my nerves

Loose leaf tea selection by https://www.senzatea.nl/cadeaupakketten/
Much appreciated! And great to see a local product in the spotlight.
Especially as it has a connection with my favorite Ysbreker restaurant https://www.deysbreeker.nl/?lang=en
Ah, nothing beats a nice cuppa while having a peek from the terrace to see the world go by below.
Pantyhose : Penthouse was again to our liking, clean and tidy, serviced by excellent housekeeping again.
Especially after witnessing + traversing the muddy streets!

There has been a subtle change in amenities since our last stay.
- in the past Kimpton AMS used Marie Stella Maris Poivre Frais no 73 (pepper flavour)
- at present the Kimpton AMS uses Marie Stella Maris Objets d'Amsterdam no 12 (fresh green tra flavour)

All bulk containers were freestanding prepandemic but have now been made tamperproof and fixed to the wall postpandemic

Marie Stella Maris : objets d'Amsterdam Bulk flasks
Fixed to a wall
- bodylotion also available but not pictured

Frette bathrobes were absent from the penthouse but it seems the welcome letter states they are now available upon request.
For those that like firmer pillows for more sleeping comfort, the hotel does provide these, if one lets reservations/housekeeping know in advance.
Ask for the firm "Square" pillows.

Attention all digital nomads / influencers / social media addicts : upon inspection the bed has on either side an electric EU outlet + USB A
There is no USB - C yet as the transition refurbishment happened before it was invented.

OT:
I got bad news from Apple citing my ipad has passed away and as such my photos are lost.
So apologies for no Voco The Hague / HIX Rotterdam / IC AMS photographic updates....
Atacama40 likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Nov 18, 2022 at 11:21 pm
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Update NOV 2022 : Restaurant Celia's breakfast

At the moment breakfast starts at 7 mornings at Kimpton's restaurant Celia.
There is a help yourself buffet and a small à la carte menu for hot dishes.

Nothing than praise for Christiana + other younglady on friday morning, for being friendly in the early morning and keeping sure all empty plates were cleared out promptly and tables cleaned & reset for new guests. The following day Christiana was welcoming us back again and remembered our preferred drink.
The friendly gentleman will ask for any hot beverage orders while you take your seat and it will be delivered when you have scouted out the buffet.
Fresh ginger tea / flat whites and almond-soy milk are available.
We were explained that the contents and setup has been changed recently from catering to domestic tourists to suit to international travellers.
The offerings are still being fine tuned.
English is here the lingua franca but you will suffice with American and Dutch too.
Chef made his rounds to keep the buffet stocked and tidy, you can see him at work in the open kitchen behind the counter.

For those from ol'blighty: tea is being served with a side flask of milk (YaY)

About breakfast:
1 if booking breakfast rate:
enjoy buffet + unlimited hot items from the menu
2 if InnerCircle
enjoy buffet + unlimited hot items from the menu
3 if Diamond : with breakfast chosen as welcome amenity
enjoy buffet + 1 hot item from the menu

Onwards to the à la carte menu

Menu front

A la carte menu hot items

Cereals - other milk types available upon request

Yoghurt + cut fruits

Fruits 1

Fruits 2

Juices and waters

Breads with toastière

Croissants + pain au chocolat

Breads 2

Vegtables

Cold cuts

Hot items 1

Hot items 2

Hot items 3

From the à la cartevmenu: 2 eggs sunnyside

Hope this will be useful for upcoming guests at the hotel!
demue and shoven like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Nov 19, 2022 at 1:32 am
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:28 am

Lightbulb Breakfast in bed

I won't post all the available items of inroom dining but something caught my eye....

On room service breakfast,
If one has a stay booked with a breakfast inclusive rate,
one may opt to have a specific set breakfast menu delivered to the room
at only €5 tray surcharge

If one has booked a breakfast inclusive stay, you can choose to have the set menu delivered to you room at only a nominal €5 extra fee.....
Handy for the honeymooners and those booking on those special Virtuoso / AMEX FH&R rates which include breakfast.
And those ofcourse whom are not morning persons ....

Last edited by HadesNL; Nov 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:03 pm

Thumbs up Celia's dinner NOV 2022

I can fully recommend a dinner at Celia's located at the Kimpton, why?
After a personal half year's abscence:
- first of all the food is quite tasty and 2 small bites should satify a normal eater without a sweet tooth and watching his waist (me)
- second is the sheer convenience of easy access from room to restaurant if the weather is cold/rainy and roadworks at NieuweZijdsVoorburgwal turn the street mudy murky messy
- third: spend here is EQP earning for IHG-1rewards members
- fourth: InnerCircle gets a table facing the street and is a prime people watching spot
- fifth: staff that is cooperative with your needs
Martinya was kind to reconfirm my request for a quiet table in the annex as i had an anniversary with S/O, i prefer sweet melodies whispers + real estate shopping without the music overpowering conversation
The Lady DJ spins good music, the ambiance in the main front section was seen&be seen and a jolly mood (Lady DJ = Fri/Sat only)
The bartender gave the 4 gents table next to us the whiskey/vodka/gin flight of their lives, audible enjoying every sip
The Kitchen chefs & Restaurant team of Jasper, Pierre, Kjeld, Kris, Mette, Zoran, Martinya under leadership of Vincent made Celia's a restaurant worthy of the signature Kimpton feeling that embodies comfy, easy going attitude, buzzing vibe, tast food & even better drinks, topped off with great hospitality for a nice evening out.
- sixth: Inner Circle are being offered the complimentary chef's taste

Onwards with the photos inspired by my photography best friend nicolas75

We were attended by the smiling blond lady above whom without effort switched between English and Dutch,
We would like to thank Vincent for making us feel valued with his gesture, cheers & bottoms up
As you can see we sat in the annex which is better suited for conversation, the main front restaurant has a more music vibe

GRILLED OCTOPUS Romesco, Truffle Potato, Ink Aioli

SWEET POTATO Lime Yogurt

Inner Circle benefit : Chef's taste of today:
FRIED FISH TACO Yellow Corn Tortilla, Jackfruit Slaw Yum: slight spicy edge
The offer is at discretion of the hotel and can change

FRIED CALAMARI Aioli with Lemon, Padron Peppers
S/O mentions excellent and not chewy rubbery at all

PUMPKIN SPICE CHEESECAKE Popcorn, Mascarpone, Orange

COD COD Watercress, Galangal, Squash - inclusive of teethmarks of S/O and his removal of the crispy skin
He seemed to like it very much

- not pictured - coconut icecream
Vincent apologized that no regular flavours were available but that it was possible to have the icecream that was part of another dessert.
Excellent flexible thinking that was appreciated.

And this concludes my recent experience with the Kimpton Amsterdam.
I hope you have find this informative as this hotel has become quite a popular spot for newly minted Diamonds (+Americans) who want to be in the middle of the action that is Amsterdam Binnenstad without having to compromise on hospitality standards. Just for comparison / shudders read the reviews of hotel Tamara which is visible from the Kimpton: https://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Rev..._Province.html It is enough to put one's panties in a twist or causes for divorce!
nicolas75 likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Nov 18, 2022 at 2:20 pm
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:00 am

Lightbulb Visual tour of hotel by Kevin

Just posted on Youtube by Kevin the flipfloptraveller.
(an excellent quality youtube series about hotels / airtravel)

Judging by his youtube community post and the state of the tramrails on Nieuwe Zijdse Voorburgwal,
This video was made around medio AUG 2022 before the new installation of the tracks and the temporary road diversions

His negatives about the Kimpton in his video:
- feels like the hotel needed a pool (bit wishful thinking with the building space constraints)
- generic bathroom (better judge yourself)
- lots of construction (at the front of hotel Nieuwe Zijds Voorburgwal -will take a while till end DEC 2022)
- no minimart/supermarket closeby (ahum opposite hotel is a touristy minimart next to the coffeeshop - - an Albert Heijn grocery store at Prins Hendrikkade (small) and Dam SQ (large)
- small lunch menu (hotel knows it cannot compete with myriad of touristy snackshops or the FEBO ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEBO) across the street for a quick lunch bite)
- high food prices (logical as it is touristy Amsterdam Binnenstad price level: everything is cheaper outside the "grachtengordel" in West Zuid Oost

Still it is a very enjoyable video and i appreciate + compliment his self funded unbiased review a lot!
Unlike the farce that is sponsored stays by hotel with opnions are my own = crap biased content of some blogs

See his video in the link below:

Last edited by HadesNL; Nov 19, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Old Nov 20, 2022, 9:02 am

As per wording and execution of the welcome letter,
The tea station in the lobby from 7.00H - 9.00H morning

Easy for on the go
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HadesNL
It is always interesting to have content about hotels, so that you know what to expect.

But these videos are often terribly boring and chatty, not to say much. I feel more like I'm seeing an accounting report than an invitation to travel (do these people enjoy travelling?!).

Finally, claiming that a review is not biased because there is no sponsor is obviously inaccurate: the author has his own cognitive biases, whims and expectations

(Incidentally, the author complains about the cost of taxis in Amsterdam. Perhaps he could have taken public transport, which would have brought him from AMS to the Kimpton more cheaply, as the Central Station is five minutes walk from the hotel)..
HadesNL likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by HadesNL
I can fully recommend a dinner at Celia's located at the Kimpton, why?
After a personal half year's abscence:
- first of all the food is quite tasty and 2 small bites should satify a normal eater without a sweet tooth and watching his waist (me)
- second is the sheer convenience of easy access from room to restaurant if the weather is cold/rainy and roadworks at NieuweZijdsVoorburgwal turn the street mudy murky messy
- third: spend here is EQP earning for IHG-1rewards members
- fourth: InnerCircle gets a table facing the street and is a prime people watching spot
- fifth: staff that is cooperative with your needs
Martinya was kind to reconfirm my request for a quiet table in the annex as i had an anniversary with S/O, i prefer sweet melodies whispers + real estate shopping without the music overpowering conversation
The Lady DJ spins good music, the ambiance in the main front section was seen&be seen and a jolly mood (Lady DJ = Fri/Sat only)
The bartender gave the 4 gents table next to us the whiskey/vodka/gin flight of their lives, audible enjoying every sip
The Kitchen chefs & Restaurant team of Jasper, Pierre, Kjeld, Kris, Mette, Zoran, Martinya under leadership of Vincent made Celia's a restaurant worthy of the signature Kimpton feeling that embodies comfy, easy going attitude, buzzing vibe, tast food & even better drinks, topped off with great hospitality for a nice evening out.
- sixth: Inner Circle are being offered the complimentary chef's taste

Onwards with the photos inspired by my photography best friend nicolas75

(...)

And this concludes my recent experience with the Kimpton Amsterdam.
I hope you have find this informative as this hotel has become quite a popular spot for newly minted Diamonds (+Americans) who want to be in the middle of the action that is Amsterdam Binnenstad without having to compromise on hospitality standards. Just for comparison / shudders read the reviews of hotel Tamara which is visible from the Kimpton: https://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Rev..._Province.html It is enough to put one's panties in a twist or causes for divorce!
When I stayed there in September I ate one dinner at Celia. The food was good, but the service came with a little attitude. I did not pre book and arrived around 830pm. The greeter was let me see if I have a table available, when the place was more than half empty. Service was polite, but I never received the water I had asked for. Breakfast was a different story. Very friendly and helpful staff!
HadesNL likes this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Nov 25, 2022 at 10:09 am Reason: deleted quoted pictures to enhance readability
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:35 am

Attitude !!

That's a bit sad,
I understand how you feel, all attitudes should be flushed down the rinse cycle!
I must admit this last NOV 2022 dinner there was a whole bunch of new faces during dinner time so it could be newly hired / different team by now.
Usually autumn/spring gets a new fresh influx of fresh faces in Dutch hotels as the start of hotel school internships (lower/middle/higher education)
All eager to please and enthusiastic.

And agree fully with the excellent breakfast team: a delight in the early morning

Last edited by HadesNL; Nov 27, 2022 at 1:04 am
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
But these videos are often terribly boring and chatty, not to say much. I feel more like I'm seeing an accounting report than an invitation to travel (do these people enjoy travelling?!).
I will agree on you there,
There is the constant focus on the angle : i make content = if you like content please support via patreon etc...., $ to churn out content and to make me travel

No,
nicolas75 , you and me are of a different pedigree than him,
We both like to inform our audiences, bit it visually or photographic analysis, as to capture the spirit of the hotel and the usability as a traveller.
Note i mention traveller: those are the types that read / learn / inform themselves about the destination beforehand,
not the tourist kind that are herded from trap to trap out of ignorance
(as you mentioned him caught in the Amsterdam-taxitrap + complain instead of reading up + taking the cheaper train alternative)

and we do this:
- all free
- don't shameless promote our own face (selfies)
- out of enjoyment
---------

on a different note,
i have booked another stay for SpringBreak with the family.
thanks to sales BlackFriday: as usual i'll be booking the penthouse at a reduced rate
+ now for the lads, booked their very own terrace room

Any advice which room number ( i can ask reservations) to allocate them so they can people watch the exciting crowds on Nieuwendijk/Kalverstraat?
(They will be bored looking out on Nieuwe Zijds Voorburgwal as the same tram goes by our house)
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Planning a stay at the Kimpton Amsterdam in mid March
I am an IHG diamond elite and also have an Amex platinum

I've never stayed in a Kimpton brand before and wasn't sure if the IHG benefits are carried through ?

Am I better off booking via the Amex platinum fine hotels rate with guaranteed perks..?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes the IHG benefits apply at Kimptons

The breakfast is very good
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Does anyone have an email contact for the DeWitt to make a special request? I will be there in March and my request would likely be arranged by a concierge. The only email on their website is for reservations.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Just use that one. They are very good at passing messages on to the right people.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Review of my stay in April 2023

Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
What is your IHG One Rewards status?
Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, very much.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest rate and was upgraded to Corner King Premium Room on high floor (the exact same room I had during my last stay).

How are the rooms?
Around 28 sqm
Bedroom with very comfortable bed.
Usb sockets near bed.

Desk
Seating area with sofa and chair.

Bathroom with walk-in shower.
Very nice Marie-Stella-Maris Poivre Noir Frais toiletries.

Minibar with free water only.
Nice panoramic view over the city.

Nespresso coffee machine (with many pods)/kettle.
Small open closet.
Yoga mat. Bathrobes

Large flatscreen television.
Chromecast
Large choice of international channels

Free PressReader

How was your complimentary welcome amenity?
Fruits, chocolates, chips, bottles of white wine and prosecco.

Were you offered a Chef's Taste at Dinner, If so, what did you receive?
Yes, appetizer of the lunch menu.

Did you use the free spa credit / did the hotel participate? If so, was it a good value?
N/A

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Elegant design.
Very central location (5 minutes walk from Central station
Nice view from the room.
Very good breakfast (especially hot dishes).
Very pleasant restaurant.
Free bicycles to discover the neighbourhood
Friendly and smiling staff: all the team was just great.

Bad:
Nothing

Value for $ or IHG Rewards Points? Would you return?
Hotel is indeed not cheap.
Yes, for location and interior design.

Renovation works of Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal street are nearly completed.

Exterior

Lobby

Bar

Inner courtyard

Access to the rooms

Premium room

View from the room

Welcome gift

Breakfast

Fitness centre

Lunch

Chef’s taste

Not all for me 😅
HadesNL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.