Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton De Witt Hotel Amsterdam (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
1. Any recent stays, impressions, reports? It generally gets very good reviews at Tripadvisor, but FT is a better-informed crowd.

I'm thinking of a few nights there in late June, on points (or points plus cash). I like the location near the station and some tourist stuff, partly because I'll be with friends who might stay wherever I do in Amsterdam on this trip and (unlike me) they've never been to Amsterdam before.

Also:

2. One downside seems to be that some rooms face a noisy street. Any experience with the hotel honoring requests for a quieter room?

3. I'm not expecting much, but anything to expect for a Platinum?

4. For a Platinum Ambassador?

5. Just in case anyone has any points of comparison, I'm also considering the Marriott Renaissance and Double Tree Hilton in the area, because of points and hotel status (Plat with Marriott and will be Diamond with Hilton). Thanks for any advice.

o Have stayed all three (actually was long term user when Kimpton was CP too).
o None of these hotels are noisy in room from external sources
o All 3x hotels have similar walking from Central Station, and to Danrak, trams, etc so locations are very much a wash. I would always nowadays take the Renaissance as a MR PLatinum (old Gold) as lounge access with useful lounge breakfast

o Renaissance
+ Upgrade to suites if available Full (old Plats) , Normal 1cat upgrade for New Plats (old Golds)
+ All Rooms have baths (unlike Kimpton, Doubletree)
+ Never charged for early checkin, even at 11am if room free
+ Lounge access for MR Elites (Plats (old Gold), Plat Plus )
+ Lounge offering is quite good
+ Location is 12min walk to all of Central Station, Danrak, Dam Square (basically 400m from the Kimpton)
+ 600m walk to tram stops for trams 1/2/5 to Leidesplein, MuseumPlein
+ Quiestest area of Kimpton/DT/Renaissance
+ lovely ground floor bar
- (nothing comes to mind)

o Kimpton -
+ Location is 10min walk to all of Central Station, Danrak, Dam Square
+ 400m walk to tram stops for trams 1/2/5 to Leidesplein, MuseumPlein
- Most rooms are Shower Only (no bath)
- No lounge

o Doubletree
+ Location near C S Station (still 10 min walk) .
+ Tram Central so more choice of destinations in one place
+ Has Lounge
+ HHD get foc breakfast in restaurant, HHG reduced breakfast in lounge
- Lounge is very poor, small, lack of offerings/drinks outside evening happyhour
- all rooms, even junior suites (except full suites) are shower only. HH Diamonds often do not get Full suites even if some still unsold
- No early checkin, even 1hour early, unless pay fee.
- Walk to Danrak, Dam Square now 20mins
leland likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:39 am

They turned the club lounge I spent hundred's of lost nights in (whilst the CP Amsterdam City Center) into a suite! .... happy happy days
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for your useful replies, folks, but especially for this very useful comparison:

Originally Posted by scubaccr
o All 3x hotels have similar walking from Central Station, and to Danrak, trams, etc so locations are very much a wash. I would always nowadays take the Renaissance as a MR PLatinum (old Gold) as lounge access with useful lounge breakfast

o Renaissance
+ Upgrade to suites if available Full (old Plats) , Normal 1cat upgrade for New Plats (old Golds)
+ Location is 12min walk to all of Central Station, Danrak, Dam Square (basically 400m from the Kimpton)

o Kimpton -
- No lounge

o Doubletree
+ Has Lounge
- Lounge is very poor, small, lack of offerings/drinks outside evening happyhour
- all rooms, even junior suites (except full suites) are shower only. HH Diamonds often do not get Full suites even if some still unsold
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I used a Chase free night at this Kimpton and wasn't really impressed. The room was nice, but nothing special. It seems like the reno budget was spent on the bathrooms and the common areas. The hardwood floor is a nice touch, but creaky floorboards don't exactly come across as high-end. Location is excellent though, so if the price was right, I might come back.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad

2. One downside seems to be that some rooms face a noisy street. Any experience with the hotel honoring requests for a quieter room?
I stayed for four nights in September. Two nights for work (so paid for) and two nights leisure (for which I used points). For the "paid" nights I booked a King Exec and for the "points" nights I could only book the basic room.

They honoured my spire upgrade for the paid nights by giving me a King Junior Suite (room 235). They also kept me in this room (as an upgrade) for the two points nights, which they didn't have to do and is a several category upgrade. Room 235 is large and overall very nice, however it is in one of their 17th century buildings and faces the front of the hotel just above the level of the trams. The glazing is not well sealed and very poor from a noise insulation perspective (I guess they are restricted by the nature of the building). If you are at all sensitive to noise I would suggest that you quiz them over the exact nature of any room / upgrade.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by JohnM5
I stayed for four nights in September. Two nights for work (so paid for) and two nights leisure (for which I used points). For the "paid" nights I booked a King Exec and for the "points" nights I could only book the basic room.

They honoured my spire upgrade for the paid nights by giving me a King Junior Suite (room 235). They also kept me in this room (as an upgrade) for the two points nights, which they didn't have to do and is a several category upgrade. Room 235 is large and overall very nice, however it is in one of their 17th century buildings and faces the front of the hotel just above the level of the trams. The glazing is not well sealed and very poor from a noise insulation perspective (I guess they are restricted by the nature of the building). If you are at all sensitive to noise I would suggest that you quiz them over the exact nature of any room / upgrade.
235 used to be designated as a 'family room' with two double beds.... is used to have a few steps down into the room but it was definitely one of the nosiest rooms in the hotel but big.

The front angled rooms were always noisy, the rear facing upper rooms (especially on 6 with the angled roof) were a lot quieter.

Just curious, was the Dorius restaurant kept as part of the move from CP to Kimpton?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Atacama40
235 used to be designated as a 'family room' with two double beds.... is used to have a few steps down into the room but it was definitely one of the nosiest rooms in the hotel but big.

The front angled rooms were always noisy, the rear facing upper rooms (especially on 6 with the angled roof) were a lot quieter.

Just curious, was the Dorius restaurant kept as part of the move from CP to Kimpton?
I never stayed when it was a CP, but it sounds like they kept the same room numbers; 235 has steps down to it (almost fell down them a couple of times!). Only one big, and comfortable, bed now. The restaurant is Wyers, we used it once and not bad for a hotel restaurant, but we preferred Savini (our favourite) and Van Speyk on the opposite side of the road.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by JohnM5
I never stayed when it was a CP, but it sounds like they kept the same room numbers; 235 has steps down to it (almost fell down them a couple of times!). Only one big, and comfortable, bed now. The restaurant is Wyers, we used it once and not bad for a hotel restaurant, but we preferred Savini (our favourite) and Van Speyk on the opposite side of the road.
Sounds like they did John .... and yes know that feeling :-) .... had this one a few times in past when took family over for a stop. Have to say when it was the old CP they had an absolutely first class crew of staff, I hope they kept them on in the transition.

Shame Dorrius has gone, used to be a very good and very old Amsterdam landmark.

For quiet, space and to avoid the steps, ask for 601 another time. It is far right top floor with view along the street. B.B King used to stop there. It had it's own kitchen and dining area and apparently he used to like to cook for himself.

Actually the original club lounge is now the Penthouse with Terrace.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by scubaccr

o Renaissance

o Kimpton -
- No lounge

o Doubletree
+ Has Lounge
Nice...thank you

I have 2 nights at Renaissance and 1 at Kimpton coming up.

I have toyed with the idea of the Doubletree a few times, but the redemption was bad each time so I did not do it. Probably won't bother after reading your report.

I am excited about the Renaissance now - I hope they let us check in early as we arrive at 6 am. I have no plan to sleep when we get in anyway but the wife does not travel quite as well.

I was wondering what the Kimpton was like (specifically the old CP lounge); the lounge was not great but anytime you can get free draft Heineken how can you complain?!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I was wondering what the Kimpton was like (specifically the old CP lounge); the lounge was not great but anytime you can get free draft Heineken how can you complain?!
There is no lounge in the Kimpton; I guess it went during the change over from being a CP. They do have the Kimpton Wine Hour. Whilst I wouldn't say no to free wine, in my opinion this is not as good as a lounge; less choice (just red or white), no food and basically just sitting in the lobby (and it's only an hour!).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 1/24 - 1/26

Location: Absolutely ideal. Under half a mile from Centraal Station which also has a subway station, two blocks from a station on the 2/11/12/13/17 lines, an easy walk to the Red Light District, to the Jordaan Neighborhood, really close to a bunch of places to eat and drink or shop at. I couldn't have asked for a better located hotel

Hotel: Their website claims 274 rooms though I find this number high. The hotel is 5 stories with an expansive lobby that has a coffee bar, bar bar and two restaurants. The lobby is just finishing being renovated. There were never any waits for elevators and the elevators are key card access only which is good. It's hard to believe this hotel was a CP, there is art in all of the hallways and just walking around is pleasant.

Check In: I arrived at 2:15 PM and was able to get right into my room. The friendly agent thanked me for being Spire, explained I'd been upgraded to a King Deluxe and offered points or a beverage

Room: Very nice. A large and comfortable actual king (not two twins pushed together), chair, large television and a full sized closet. The bathroom was a little on the small side but the shower is great. There was some noise from the trams that run outside frequently but I actually like that sound. However if you're sensitive it can be an issue.

Overall a really nice stay, I'd gladly be back.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
It's a lovely hotel, but they have quite the mouse issue. There's a song about that in Amsterdam, but not ideal to have the little things running around your feet in the bar area.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I like the De Witt. Always my first choice when I go to Amsterdam. Never had a major issue and the minor ones are soon sorted quickly. I think I go too often as some of the saff recognise me!

Never seen a mouse though!

One change since last spring is that the wine hour is no more. It always did a roaring trade - probbaly too roaring and I always suspected non guests were using it to - and was always told about at at check-in but I stay for a couple of days so why mention it if you are only there for one night and check-in aftter 6pm?

It has been replaced by a free cocktail / punch on 'payment' of a coaster that is left on the desk in your room. Strict one per room per person. No swapping either. Very nice punch it is too usually vodka based and a reasonably large measure.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Does anyone have any experience of staying in the 'Little House'? I am looking to book it for a trip with friends but have a few questions.

1) Is the 'wet bar' complimentary if you book the room? If so, what is in there?

2) What is breakfast like at the hotel and what is the cost if you pay pp?

3) Is the room on the noisy part or the hotel?

4) Is their a turndown service?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Given current Covid restrictions, best to reach out to the hotel. Even if someone can report what used to be offered, no guarantee it is still the same right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.