Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton De Witt Hotel Amsterdam (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Kimpton De Witt Hotel Amsterdam (Master Thread)

The new boutique luxury Kimpton hotel will open in Amsterdam in 2017.

Now accepting reservations for stays starting June 1, 2017.

http://www.kimptondewitthotel.com/
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Interesting that this property does not participate in Karma Rewards but IHG Rewards Club from day 1.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:22 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Interesting that this property does not participate in Karma Rewards but IHG Rewards Club from day 1.
I suspect, because this used to be a CP, that the property owner negotiated to remain in IHG after the reflagging. Kimpton is not well known outside of the US, and so far Kimpton properties haven't been integrated into IHG's distribution system. By participating in IHG Rewards and IHG's reservations system, the property is able to have the same distribution reach as it did when it was a CP.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
was surprised that IHG.com let me book a standard room using my Chase Free Night cert for next summer
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
was surprised that IHG.com let me book a standard room using my Chase Free Night cert for next summer
Check room cat booked if I were you! The cheapest 145++ rooms here are a new addition of 12m size Single Occupancy Type.

Now whilst awards are "non-upgrade entitled", awards are meant to be for double (2ppn) rooms. I would probably not stay at Kimpton de Witt on an award, there are better hotels elsewhere in other cities to use a free night cert.
In Amsterdam I'd instead look to use use 20k points HIE Arean, 25k points at HI Arena, or 30k points at CP Zuid. I have stayed at all three hotels.

Of course location wise for walking to redlight-districts, dam square, catching canal-cruise Kimpton is in better location. However transport at Arena+Zuid is good and inexpensive.

Funnily enough, this could tur out to be like in Japan IHG hotels, awards on single ppn rooms, and hotel trying to not upgrade, but two guests turn up to share award room.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:29 pm

appreciate the hotel-specific advice

i booked the "Standard Room" for 2 adults - the rooms description shows 19 to 23 sq. meters.
seems fine for a 1 night pre-cruise quickie.
though will keep an eye out for the blue-moon award inventory at the Amstel.

am a Hyatt fanboy, so only use IHG for the 1-night freebie annual from Chase.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
appreciate the hotel-specific advice

i booked the "Standard Room" for 2 adults - the rooms description shows 19 to 23 sq. meters.
seems fine for a 1 night pre-cruise quickie.
though will keep an eye out for the blue-moon award inventory at the Amstel.

am a Hyatt fanboy, so only use IHG for the 1-night freebie annual from Chase.
After my 2x July IC Amstel visits, I can no longer recommend Ic Amstel. This is as a long term Amstel guest since 2009 who previously recommended hotel. I will not be staying at IC Amstel again ever.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Was there in end July. Am Amb Plat. Booked King Executive for 1 night. Was upgraded to a roomy Junior Suite at the roof. The layout of the hotel is still the same but I like the updated decor. The branded toiletries are far better than the usual CP. I also found the check in and service less stuffy somehow.

My favourite perk for all guests (not just IHG elite) is the signature Kimpton 5-6pm free flow wine hour + snacks. Perfect for a rainy summer day in Amsterdam.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Alawyer
Was there in end July. Am Amb Plat. Booked King Executive for 1 night. Was upgraded to a roomy Junior Suite at the roof. The layout of the hotel is still the same but I like the updated decor. The branded toiletries are far better than the usual CP. I also found the check in and service less stuffy somehow.

My favourite perk for all guests (not just IHG elite) is the signature Kimpton 5-6pm free flow wine hour + snacks. Perfect for a rainy summer day in Amsterdam.
.... which is not mentioned at check in (at least not when I was there) which meant no-one turns up, saving a bundle. Result

Despite my appalling stay I do think the hardware is right and when it settles down it will be good. BUT .... you can't disguise the tiny base level rooms or the fact that many overlook a hugely busy road. I did like the Penthouse Suite (where I ended up, the old lounge) and for €600 on a sunny Summer day I would be tempted by this given the big outdoor terrace.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:48 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
So do we earn IHG points and credited nights of staying st this property? I'm all confused on this whole "seeing Kimpton hotels on IHG.com."
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by 355F1
So do we earn IHG points and credited nights of staying st this property? I'm all confused on this whole "seeing Kimpton hotels on IHG.com."
Yes.

And, from 1 Sep, Accelerate credit.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:41 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes.

And, from 1 Sep, Accelerate credit.
Awesome!

Rates for next summer are looking pretty decent! ^^

thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

1. Any recent stays, impressions, reports? It generally gets very good reviews at Tripadvisor, but FT is a better-informed crowd.

I'm thinking of a few nights there in late June, on points (or points plus cash). I like the location near the station and some tourist stuff, partly because I'll be with friends who might stay wherever I do in Amsterdam on this trip and (unlike me) they've never been to Amsterdam before.

Also:

2. One downside seems to be that some rooms face a noisy street. Any experience with the hotel honoring requests for a quieter room?

3. I'm not expecting much, but anything to expect for a Platinum?

4. For a Platinum Ambassador?

5. Just in case anyone has any points of comparison, I'm also considering the Marriott Renaissance and Double Tree Hilton in the area, because of points and hotel status (Plat with Marriott and will be Diamond with Hilton).

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
From this past September: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30242823-post21.html

The Ren is basically about a block away. I was in the DoubleTree for a meeting and it has a great location next to the Centraal Station and water views/suites for top elite members.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
1. Any recent stays, impressions, reports? It generally gets very good reviews at Tripadvisor, but FT is a better-informed crowd.

I'm thinking of a few nights there in late June, on points (or points plus cash). I like the location near the station and some tourist stuff, partly because I'll be with friends who might stay wherever I do in Amsterdam on this trip and (unlike me) they've never been to Amsterdam before.

Also:

2. One downside seems to be that some rooms face a noisy street. Any experience with the hotel honoring requests for a quieter room?

3. I'm not expecting much, but anything to expect for a Platinum?

4. For a Platinum Ambassador?

5. Just in case anyone has any points of comparison, I'm also considering the Marriott Renaissance and Double Tree Hilton in the area, because of points and hotel status (Plat with Marriott and will be Diamond with Hilton).

Thanks for any advice.
I stayed here last month for a few nights - wasn't blown away, frankly. First room I was allocated was so noisy with the tram I had to ask to be moved the following day. I am Spire and didn't get an upgrade, but I did book an above base category room (Executive) which probably limited the likelihood of that a little bit. It was OK overall, but the TripAdvisor reviews seem very overenthusiastic to me - wish I'd stayed at the W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.