Search

RA new criteria now is under review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vexorg
I thought all levels were done of an annual basis
No the AMB year relates to the month you first purchased AMB.

Consequently the law of averages suggests that there would be a reasonably even spread of AMB year ends across all months of the year, perhaps with summer and winter peaks.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Even when it had that value given it also stated that it reserves the right to change these criteria at any time and without prior notification .
No one is arguing that they they don't have the right to change it without prior notification. BUT, especially for a product that is paid for, changing the terms prior to the expiration of the "contract period" usually enables someone to cancel the service and receive a pro-rated refund (for those ambassadors who were aiming for RA, since RA gets a free renewal this doesn't apply to them)

I'm sure they have their legal bases covered, because while it's a goal to aim for it's not what we're actually paying for. That being said, purely from a customer service standpoint, it would make the most sense to make this a "soft" transition that goes into effect at the beginning of each person's year. (for instance, if your year renews in August make the new terms applicable to you in August, if John Doe's renews in January, apply the new terms to him in January).

They certainly don't HAVE to do that. But it would ease a lot of dissatisfaction.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: IHG
I sent this post over to John at Loyalty Lobby a couple of days ago, and he's going to speak to his contact at IHG. It's only around 5 weeks since they advised him that the 60/20 numbers weren't changing, so we'll have to see what happens.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by turner32
I sent this post over to John at Loyalty Lobby a couple of days ago, and he's going to speak to his contact at IHG. It's only around 5 weeks since they advised him that the 60/20 numbers weren't changing, so we'll have to see what happens.
^^
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ThatOneGayRavenclaw
No one is arguing that they they don't have the right to change it without prior notification. BUT, especially for a product that is paid for, changing the terms prior to the expiration of the "contract period" usually enables someone to cancel the service and receive a pro-rated refund (for those ambassadors who were aiming for RA, since RA gets a free renewal this doesn't apply to them)
It isn't paid for ; only the initial Ambassador membership is paid for and that has been fully provided

Royal Ambassador status renewal provides a free year of Royal Ambassador membership ; for those failing to meet the criteria to be invited to another year of membership get a free year of Ambassador membership

The terms didn't change since the terms already stated that criteria for being granted RA membership can change at any time.

What is there to get a pro-rated refund of?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't paid for ; only the initial Ambassador membership is paid for and that has been fully provided

Royal Ambassador status renewal provides a free year of Royal Ambassador membership ; for those failing to meet the criteria to be invited to another year of membership get a free year of Ambassador membership

The terms didn't change since the terms already stated that criteria for being granted RA membership can change at any time.

What is there to get a pro-rated refund of?
Again I ask what civilised country allows unilateral change of consumer contracts in this way which potentially give rise to legal loss without a hefty dollop of consumer protection legislation to counter?

It doesn't matter what the T&C's say it matters what is allowed within the jurisdiction of the supplier entity (in this case the UK, so firmly caught by UTCC regs) and the jurisdiction of the customer/member, together with the T&C's.

The T&C's may be changed to allow any hotel GM to murder any guest they feel to be a pain (and I am quite sure that some would love that to be in the T&C's) but that doesn't practically confer that right does it?

In addition there is the commercial downside of behaving in an arbitrary way towards your most frequent guests.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turner32
The end of August renewal cycle (including my own) should be upon us shortly and provide another range of anecdotal evidence on the current position.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
Notice I said the exact same thing in my post.
However, an argument could be made that you pay for RA by first purchasing Ambassador, and (under the previous terms) paying for the 60/20/3 nights.
That argument probably wouldn't get anywhere, however, because they go to care to use appropriate language in the terms.

The criteria was posted as part of the terms. Just because the terms say they can change at any time without notice, doesn't mean the "terms didn't change" - they did change, they were just within their right to change them.

You really seem hung up though on an argument nobody is making.
I am fully aware they have the right to change the terms whenever they want. However, brand loyalty is a rather valuable commodity, and, from that perspective, it makes more sense to do a staggered roll out for changes such as this so as to not upset those who have spent a decent amount of money at IHG properties - money that could have easily been spent elsewhere if not for the appeal of achieving RA.

Sure, legally they have every right to do things however they wish. But from a business perspective, you would typically strive to meet customer expectations. With that in mind, my guess is the 60/20/3 ratio will be sufficient for the time being, but they've removed it from the so as to cover themselves when they finally do make the switch. That is of course just speculation, however, but it is based on ample experience as a former supervisor in corporate customer service. Customer's expect consistency, and don't appreciate surprises that have come up after they've spent a significant amount of money on your brand.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire RA
Lightbulb Criteria based on spending

Whatever is under review at the moment, I wish if they switch the criteria from "qualifying nights" to "based on spending" (i.e. 150k qualifying pts per ambassador calendar year).
I think it would be more fair for everyone geography! + it's win win situation for both, members and chain. though they can still have the IC's stays requirement.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Voucher
Whatever is under review at the moment, I wish if they switch the criteria from "qualifying nights" to "based on spending" (i.e. 150k qualifying pts per ambassador calendar year).
I think it would be more fair for everyone geography! + it's win win situation for both, members and chain. though they can still have the IC's stays requirement.
Yea right so 25x . 5k bonus night stays (125k bonus and 25k at 1k/night) gets you RA ... Not going to happen whilst elite qualifying points can be obtained through secondary routes to actual spend on a room rate
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by ThatOneGayRavenclaw
Notice I said the exact same thing in my post.
However, an argument could be made that you pay for RA by first purchasing Ambassador, and (under the previous terms) paying for the 60/20/3 nights.
That argument probably wouldn't get anywhere, however, because they go to care to use appropriate language in the terms.

The criteria was posted as part of the terms. Just because the terms say they can change at any time without notice, doesn't mean the "terms didn't change" - they did change, they were just within their right to change them.

You really seem hung up though on an argument nobody is making.
I am fully aware they have the right to change the terms whenever they want. However, brand loyalty is a rather valuable commodity, and, from that perspective, it makes more sense to do a staggered roll out for changes such as this so as to not upset those who have spent a decent amount of money at IHG properties - money that could have easily been spent elsewhere if not for the appeal of achieving RA.

Sure, legally they have every right to do things however they wish. But from a business perspective, you would typically strive to meet customer expectations. With that in mind, my guess is the 60/20/3 ratio will be sufficient for the time being, but they've removed it from the so as to cover themselves when they finally do make the switch. That is of course just speculation, however, but it is based on ample experience as a former supervisor in corporate customer service. Customer's expect consistency, and don't appreciate surprises that have come up after they've spent a significant amount of money on your brand.
Prior to the 60/20/3 rule which was only added in the last year or so, the T&Cs stated that RA was by invitation only. Ambassador members who met IHG's criteria were upgraded to RA status.

IHG has reverted back to this position pending a possible change to the requirements. I personally have no problem with the possible change. I have been an RA since the program was introduced and have enjoyed the benefits for almost 12 years. Not bad for an initial investment of $ 100 USD.

mxm135
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Yea right so 25x . 5k bonus night stays (125k bonus and 25k at 1k/night) gets you RA ... Not going to happen whilst elite qualifying points can be obtained through secondary routes to actual spend on a room rate
Well, bonus pts shouldn't be count to status pts from the beginning! as they do with airlines mile. Just cut these routes and set 150k pts (15k USD) or even 200k pts.

The whole idea is to give the 1% status to whom actually deserve it.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:45 am

I recently telephoned IHG Rewards twice because I was not being renewed as RA after being one for 5 years.

The lady who helped me said that she would manually count my nights since last August 1st and left me on hold. This was after my first call when the rep said I was 12 nights short and SOL?

Later she came back on the line and said my RA membership was renewed.

It seems at ihg.com your history only goes back 180 days but on another forum somebody told me ihg mobile site goes back like 24 months+

She also said that RA is now 70 paid nights with 20 at 3 different ICs, roll over or award nights are irrelevant.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:15 am

last year I had to chase IHG for RA renewal too

however they did send me a BOGO + 5k points for my downgrade to Ambassador status and then later send another BOGO + 5k points for my renewed RA status ;-)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saint77
I recently telephoned IHG Rewards twice because I was not being renewed as RA after being one for 5 years.

The lady who helped me said that she would manually count my nights since last August 1st and left me on hold. This was after my first call when the rep said I was 12 nights short and SOL?

Later she came back on the line and said my RA membership was renewed.

It seems at ihg.com your history only goes back 180 days but on another forum somebody told me ihg mobile site goes back like 24 months+

She also said that RA is now 70 paid nights with 20 at 3 different ICs, roll over or award nights are irrelevant.
Was this for August 31 renewal? I haven't seen any renewal info thus far

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.