Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What points count towards status?

"Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status."
  • The bonus points received for the credit card sign-up are nonqualifying towards status.
  • Points from credit card spend are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus Point Packages are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus points received through promos, including credit card offers, are nonqualifying points for status.

What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programmes like e-rewards
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (including an award booking that is subsequently canceled)
  • Being a dining rewards member
Print Wikipost

Change to IHG Rewards Club 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by thbe
Thank you, IHG! You are the best company in the world! Really!
WOW, then people call me sarcastic !!!

Happy 4th July for those in the US ... and Americans around the word.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I've recently had an interesting, off-the-record chat with someone moderately senior in IHG. I won't say where or who, as I don't want to get them into trouble... (Happy to confirm exact details privately to a mod if wanted though!)

Firstly, I mentioned my disappointment that the new tier hadn't launched on the 1st. They were slightly embarrassed that it hadn't, but also surprised by how much ill-feeling from elites that this had generated. They couldn't give me a new date, but said it should be quite soon

Interestingly, they then mentioned that there were discussions about a second even-higher new tier, which wouldn't have published criteria and would be invite-only, a little how RA used to be. They stressed that this hadn't been agreed, was just being discussed, and thought it wouldn't launch until next year if approved

After a chat about some of their properties I'd stayed in, we then got onto the subject of minibars. They expressed surprise about RAs being keen on their free minibars, as "if you're spending all that money on IC stays surely you could afford to pay for a few drinks while you're there". I pointed out that most RAs also stay at ICs on leisure breaks too, with many of their other stays being work-funded, so it was a more complex picture than their simple idea. This gave them pause for thought...

One overall takeaway though was that this person thinks of the IHG rewards program very differently to me, and I'd guess differently to most on flyertalk, which may explain a few things!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I've recently had an interesting, off-the-record chat with someone moderately senior in IHG. I won't say where or who, as I don't want to get them into trouble... (Happy to confirm exact details privately to a mod if wanted though!)

Firstly, I mentioned my disappointment that the new tier hadn't launched on the 1st. They were slightly embarrassed that it hadn't, but also surprised by how much ill-feeling from elites that this had generated. They couldn't give me a new date, but said it should be quite soon

Interestingly, they then mentioned that there were discussions about a second even-higher new tier, which wouldn't have published criteria and would be invite-only, a little how RA used to be. They stressed that this hadn't been agreed, was just being discussed, and thought it wouldn't launch until next year if approved

After a chat about some of their properties I'd stayed in, we then got onto the subject of minibars. They expressed surprise about RAs being keen on their free minibars, as "if you're spending all that money on IC stays surely you could afford to pay for a few drinks while you're there". I pointed out that most RAs also stay at ICs on leisure breaks too, with many of their other stays being work-funded, so it was a more complex picture than their simple idea. This gave them pause for thought...

One overall takeaway though was that this person thinks of the IHG rewards program very differently to me, and I'd guess differently to most on flyertalk, which may explain a few things!
If they drop free mini-bar, RA becomes pretty much the same as any other top-tier hotel programme.
Free mini-bar is their USP. I would ditch IHG if they did away with that.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by turner32
If they drop free mini-bar, RA becomes pretty much the same as any other top-tier hotel programme.
Free mini-bar is their USP. I would ditch IHG if they did away with that.
I would agree it would send a terrible message. In many ways RA is worse than the competing programmes (e.g. No guaranteed lounge access) so eroding the main unique positives would be very stupid indeed. It is concerning that IHG Execs do. not comprehend this and it makes me think that I will not choose to renew RA much into the future.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
. It is concerning that IHG Execs do. not comprehend this and it makes me think that I will not choose to renew RA much into the future.
Serious alarm bells if this is true
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
After a chat about some of their properties I'd stayed in, we then got onto the subject of minibars. They expressed surprise about RAs being keen on their free minibars, as "if you're spending all that money on IC stays surely you could afford to pay for a few drinks while you're there".
Surprise this high up people did not read IHG own research on its customers. And surprisingly he did not understand rich people do mind paying the over inflated minibar price. The issue is not whether eople will pay. The issue is whether people is willing to pay such a price. Plus if you take benefits away people will react.

Thank goodness he is not in charge. People needs to travel as a frequent traveller in order to understand why people choose a particular programme.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
So all the surveys we've been completing over the years are filed in the 'Trash' mailbox by IHG then.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:47 am

I would agree it would send a terrible message. In many ways RA is worse than the competing programmes (e.g. No guaranteed lounge access) so eroding the main unique positives would be very stupid indeed. It is concerning that IHG Execs do. not comprehend this and it makes me think that I will not choose to renew RA much into the future.
Agree....seems all too regular that companies blueprint what they think their chosen ones want when in fact they are a million miles off the plot. Is not just them, many seem to excel at it.

The average RA's Maslow hierarchy of needs would see free mini-bar fairly high up it....certainly mine anyway. You can keep a corner view.....a 1/2 bottle of Verve Clicquot orange label trumps it.

Would have no problem with another level mind as Gagravarr mentioned. Stimpy mentioned some days back....for a good few folks, 75k on spend is a walk in the park....and I now agree that 100k or even 125k is quite achievable having watched my own spend for once....especially when it's your sponsor footing the bill. Another level on IHG Rewards and another super level above RA would work for me.

Shame they seem have little clue about their audience.

Last edited by Atacama40; Jul 5, 2015 at 4:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:28 am

It seems to me that everybody is doing a storm over a glass of water, with all due respect to what friends in high places may have said, but I don't drive any of my decisions by "hear, say".
I have difficulty to believe that top management at any successful company has no idea to what their customers want since they have all th KPI to drive their decisions.

Personally wait and see it seems to me the best strategy against all theories appearing during these last days.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Something strange going on with the IHG site at the moment. I don't even get the option to log in at the moment.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Something strange going on with the IHG site at the moment. I don't even get the option to log in at the moment.
The grey bar on the right where the login usually is? I've been getting that sporadically for a week or two now.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:57 am

I was trying to make a reservation and it doesn't allow the login
Get a message that system is unavailable.
Both on app and website.

Could be the upgrade of the rules in the system... or could be nothing more than a maintenance routine.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Works fine for me.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Works fine for me.
Yep, back online
Nope, no changes on the new level

I guess we still have a couple more days/weeks or even months to discuss about how disappointed we are on the marketing strategy
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:45 am

The account summary page and upcoming reservations works but if you click on any other options it comes up with a compass and an error.

The opening page error does say that you can make reservations but not process IHG rewards transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.