Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win Promotion Fall 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat., HHonors gold, IHG Plat., Accor gold, IC Amb, Hertz #1 club, Sixt plat.
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Well i just received my probably First (AND ONLY) Big Win Points, 1000pts for a stay.

I will not be doing 8x Sat Nights, I won't do 20nights (I have switched to Hilton stays already for 4Q-13) I will not try and visit 3 extra countries for 4citi stays, I will not chase 3rd+4th IHG brand stays.
Fully agree, got my first (and also only) 1000 points as well. Only difference to you: I changed towards SPG instead of Hilton
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by IHGRewardsClub
Hi Everyone,
Just following up on a question that we've seen popping up here and in other forums regarding Best Price Guarantee stays.

BPG bookings that include paid nights will count as stays for this promotion as long as the rate submitted for the BPG claim is a qualifying rate. The first night of all BPG bookings are always free and unfortunately non-qualifying, but additional nights associated with the BPG booking will count as long as the rate is qualifying.

Apologies for the confusion regarding this question; if you have an upcoming BPG stay and are unsure if it qualifies, you can reach out to Customer Care to determine if your paid portion of the stay is a qualifying rate.

**I'll be making edits to my original post to clarify BPG stays for The Big Win promotion.

Carolyn
Hello Carolyn,

I don't think it's appropriate to modify the terms halfway in - you should at least honour reservations that were done on the basis of your previous post. Your previous post stated that "ANY" BRG claim will qualify, and I know that I had, for instance, one stay that was booked entirely on that premise. I understand if you no longer wish to honour single-night BRG stays, but for several weeks, your answer was posted on this forum as one stating that they would be honoured, so I think it would be right to at least honour stays booked up until yesterday. It's not right to simply retroactively modify the post and expect it to apply to the entire promotion, I should think.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:36 pm
Company Representative - Priority Club Rewards by InterContinental Hotel Group

Programs: Priority Club Rewards & InterContinental Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Your previous post stated that "ANY" BRG claim will qualify, and I know that I had, for instance, one stay that was booked entirely on that premise.
Hi Psuedo Nim,
I apologize for the lack of clarification in my original post, however the terms of the promotion have remained the same since the beginning of the promotion. BPG stays have always counted as stays for this promo, and the terms have always stated that only qualifying nights will count.

My original statement was "BPG stays will count as stays for this promo", I did not state "any BPG stay".

Again, I apologize for the confusion on this specific portion of the promotion. BPG stays will continue to count towards The Big Win promotion if they have an accompanying paid night stay using a qualifying rate.

Carolyn
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:54 pm

Hi Psuedo Nim,
I apologize for the lack of clarification in my original post, however the terms of the promotion have remained the same since the beginning of the promotion. BPG stays have always counted as stays for this promo, and the terms have always stated that only qualifying nights will count.

My original statement was "BPG stays will count as stays for this promo", I did not state "any BPG stay".

Again, I apologize for the confusion on this specific portion of the promotion. BPG stays will continue to count towards The Big Win promotion if they have an accompanying paid night stay using a qualifying rate.

Carolyn
I appreciate your position, but the original statement was "BPG stays count". There was no qualifier vis-a-vis qualifying nights, part paid versus fully free and so on. The statement, as posted, was that BPG nights count - period.

I'm okay with this being clarified going forward, but I have already completed one single-night stay on the second day of the promo and I have had one booked for this weekend from more tab a month ago, and I would certainly want to see them honoured.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
It seems that what you wanted to say was "BPG stays CAN count as stays for this promo."

What you did say meant something very different.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
It seems that what you wanted to say was "BPG stays CAN count as stays for this promo."

What you did say meant something very different.
That's precisely my point. This is why I'm agreeing that the rules can be clarified, fair enough, but bookings made and stays completed prior to this change should be honoured as they were done based on the explanation that was written in this forum by an authorised representative. @Carolyn, I'm sure you would agree.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DuMaInSin
Why 20 stays if there is a fast track to become instant silver and reach gold status after just 4 stays within 90 days?
I am already HH gold. No need to fast track to it. I assume one can only challenge once and I suspect you can not fasttrack if already gold. ? I need the 20stays in 2013 to retain HH Gold and only made 3 stays in period Jan-Sep, so 17 more nights needed by me.

My profile along side my posts clearly identifies that I already have HH Gold

Plus I get points and avios bonus for HH stays.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
Do Entertainment card rates qualify under this promotion? TIA.
Didn't see any response to this.

I would assume Entertainment card rates qualify --- can anyone verify points posted for the Big Win?

Edit: The Rate Rules listed on a hotel I'm looking at state "IHG Rewards Club Points do not apply to this offer." So it looks like Entertainment card rates DO NOT qualify.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:44 pm

Pseudo Nim - I completely agree. I pmd Carolyn the following a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything back yet.

"Hi Caroline,

I just noticed you've changed the advice on whether BRG stays count or not.

This actually really impacts me quite badly as I booked a stay in Birmingham and a stay in London that are 1 night BRG stays on the basis of the information provided. I've paid for transport to both cities already, and don't really know what to do.

The London stay isn't too bad I guess (though far from ideal), as I'll likely enjoy London anyway, but the Birmingham stay is at the airport hotel, booked solely to fulfill the second of my 2 city stays listed in my Big Win offer.

The original advice was completely unequivocal and i really hope this can be resolved somehow - at least for those of us who have already booked one night BRG rates on the basis of the advice. It's also worth pointing out that I can't now just cancel the BRG nights or not go, as they are nonrefundable and I'll actually be charged the original full amount if I try that.

Please help!

Many thanks,"

This is only going to apply to a small number of people (even less who will actually know/be bothered to raise it) so I see no reason why the advice originally given cannot be honoured one way or another, even if the IT system means points would have to be added manually.

Carolyn - I really appreciate the work you do on here and so don't want to sound like I'm having a go at all, but you must accept that to any fair reader, "BPG stays will count as stays for this promo" would be understood as meaning all BPG stays. The fact that this impression was allowed to continue for such a long period of time as well, meant that I never doubted for a moment that 1 night BRG stays would count.

Like Pseudo Nim, I have absolutely no problem at all with the new terms for bookings from the date of amendment onwards.

There must be some way this can be resolved fairly?

Last edited by dennycrane1; Oct 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by dennycrane1
Pseudo Nim - I completely agree. I pmd Carolyn the following a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything back yet.

"Hi Caroline,

This actually really impacts me quite badly as I booked a stay in Birmingham and a stay in London that are 1 night BRG stays on the basis of the information provided. I've paid for transport to both cities already, and don't really know what to do.

The London stay isn't too bad I guess (though far from ideal), as I'll likely enjoy London anyway, but the Birmingham stay is at the airport hotel, booked solely to fulfill the second of my 2 city stays listed in my Big Win offer.

The original advice was completely unequivocal and i really hope this can be resolved somehow - at least for those of us who have already booked one night BRG rates on the basis of the advice. It's also worth pointing out that I can't now just cancel the BRG nights or not go, as they are nonrefundable and I'll actually be charged the original full amount if I try that.

Please help!

Many thanks,"

This is only going to apply to a small number of people (even less who will actually know/be bothered to raise it) so I see no reason why the advice originally given cannot be honoured one way or another, even if the IT system means points would have to be added manually.

Carolyn - I really appreciate the work you do on here and so don't want to sound like I'm having a go at all, but you must accept that to any fair reader, "BPG stays will count as stays for this promo" would be understood as meaning all BPG stays. The fact that this impression was allowed to continue for such a long period of time as well, meant that I never doubted for a moment that 1 night BRG stays would count.

Like Pseudo Nim, I have absolutely no problem at all with the new terms for bookings from the date of amendment onwards.

I'd have taken it as paid BRG nights counted, but not the free nights.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Well i just received my probably First (AND ONLY) Big Win Points, 1000pts for a stay.

I will not be doing 8x Sat Nights, I won't do 20nights (I have switched to Hilton stays already for 4Q-13) I will not try and visit 3 extra countries for 4citi stays, I will not chase 3rd+4th IHG brand stays

This badly thoughtout promo, penalises elites like me, who are given impossible/unrealistic targets, so can not get final win bonus to double up.

If IHG stupidly assumed they could ignore or penalise elites because elites are already loyal, IHG need think again.

Those elites who use hotels 80+ nights as against some members struggling + scraping IHG platinum on 50nights (now 60k points is harder in 2013), can and will simply move stays to other programs to retain (or obtain) that other programs Elite status. My choice of stays 4Q13 is 20stays for HH Gold.
I must admit HH promo is fantastic - and felt disappointed by the difficult bar for elites to achieve.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:02 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver

"Hi Caroline,

Please help!

Many thanks,"

There's no substitute for actually reading the T&C. Try that in future.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:19 am

Wan1dap- I actually agree with you, and did.

Like many people at the beginning of the promo though, I was still unsure about what constituted a qualifying stay.

When I saw on here that an official representative of IHG wrote, ""BPG stays will count as stays for this promo", and that this advice was left up for a while without amendment, I took it at face value.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: LX M&M FTL, Aegean Gold, Mabuhay Miles Platinum
Wan1dap- I actually agree with you, and did.

Like many people at the beginning of the promo though, I was still unsure about what constituted a qualifying stay.

When I saw on here that an official representative of IHG wrote, ""BPG stays will count as stays for this promo", and that this advice was left up for a while without amendment, I took it at face value.
Exactly.

Also note that the T&C for the "Book with us" promotion are still wrong. There, the actual situation is how Carolyn explained it, not what is in the T&C.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
There's no substitute for actually reading the T&C. Try that in future.
The T&Cs are sort of missing for this promo ... when you click them on win.ihg.com, you just get generic T&Cs for each section. Some read like they don't even apply. So yeah... thanks for the advice, I'd like to bounce it back to you :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.