Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win Promotion Fall 2013

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Jetsfan
But I should earn the same number of bonus miles, just fewer miles based on the spend at the hotel (2X instead of 10X). Is that correct?
I think there is only one person that posted who had miles in their offer and that was only for 16k miles. So I am pretty sure they adjust the miles downward if earning miles instead of points.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just signed up for this offer, how does one figure out what bonus's they will get? I have 7 res's booked already and two are awards. I'm lost on how to figure out what kind of bonus's I'll get. On another side, IHG has been very good to me this year, so far 437K points and I want more....
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Big Lose Promo

After painstaking analytical research with regard to this promo, and calculating the points that I would get if I complete the tasks, and considering the fact that I was offered 100% bonus on points purchased (ending TODAY), I made the managerial decision to say SCREW IT. I bought the darn points instead. It was a whole lot quicker, easier, and I don't have to jump through hoops to get there.

Probably came out just a hair less than if I participated in the promo (like 2 or 3 thousand). Just not worth the trouble, at least for me.

Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I just signed up for this offer, how does one figure out what bonus's they will get? I have 7 res's booked already and two are awards. I'm lost on how to figure out what kind of bonus's I'll get. On another side, IHG has been very good to me this year, so far 437K points and I want more....
It should work like the crack the case promotion a couple of years ago. Awards don't count but friends and family rates do qualify.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TAWS
It should work like the crack the case promotion a couple of years ago. Awards don't count but friends and family rates do qualify.
Friends and Family rates are NON-QUALIFYING rates. They DO NOT count.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:14 pm

Any idea if IKEX3 (35% off) or IDEX1 (2 for 1) would count for the promo?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Klimt
-Can you clarify one thing? For "Live the City Life", do the stays have to be in different cities? Or is it sufficient to stay in different hotels within one listed city?

The stays have to be in two distinct cities to qualify for the "Live the City Life" offer in the Big Win. -Carolyn
Yup, good to have clarification, even if it's not the answer we were hoping for.

Which brings me back to the question I asked several pages up-thread. What are the options, if any, to get credit for a stay in a city without actually traveling there? Does it work to book a room in your own name, with a local friend as the additional guest, and have them check in for you? Any other ideas?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:30 pm

Situation that I think is okay, but want clarification:

I'm in NYC in October with 2 rooms in my name - 1 using my Chase annual free night, the other a standard paid stay (through IHG.com). Will the paid room qualify for the various promos, or does the free night somehow nullify it? Also, if it was inverted as 1 room for 2 consecutive nights, one with the cert and the other paid for, will the night that I paid for count or will the fact that it's partially a reward stay make it non-qualifying?

I understand that the cert night is absolutely non-qualifying, I just want to ensure that it won't effect the eligibility of the paid night towards the promo.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hmm, this is all I got since my earning was marked as miles. I changed it to points but rewards are still showing miles. Any way to change?

Try One & Done - 500 miles
Stay more & Earn More - 1000 miles
Explore Our Brands - 2000 miles
Book with Us - 500 miles
Win in a weekend - 2000 miles
Win Big - 4000 miles
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
After painstaking analytical research with regard to this promo, and calculating the points that I would get if I complete the tasks, and considering the fact that I was offered 100% bonus on points purchased (ending TODAY), I made the managerial decision to say SCREW IT. I bought the darn points instead. It was a whole lot quicker, easier, and I don't have to jump through hoops to get there.

Probably came out just a hair less than if I participated in the promo (like 2 or 3 thousand). Just not worth the trouble, at least for me.

Perhaps, but I've almost reached Hilton Diamond, so switching to IHG for the rest of the year would be stays I'd have to make anyway ...

My offer of 99,700 points breaks down as:

Try One (1K pts)
Seven Nights (7.4K pts)
5 brands (26K pts)
Survey (.1K pts)
City Life (7.2K for 2 cities, decent sized list for do-able destinations)
Weekend (8K for two Saturdays)
Big Win Completion Bonus (50K)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Now that I managed to register:

5 nights, 2 Sats, 3 brands, 2 cities (all US, and 1 of them is my own!), survey, on-line booking.

107,800 points

Without running my optimization algorithm, that seems like it can be done in 3 stays. Sounds pretty darn good to me!

(And I've barely had an activity in the past 12 months on IHG. I think I booked a pointsbreak room for June but ended up cancelling it.)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by swag
Yup, good to have clarification, even if it's not the answer we were hoping for.

Which brings me back to the question I asked several pages up-thread. What are the options, if any, to get credit for a stay in a city without actually traveling there? Does it work to book a room in your own name, with a local friend as the additional guest, and have them check in for you? Any other ideas?
Imteresting, in that Mr. Kipper's doesn't say two cities just stay twice for that.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:09 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by swag

On that note, I suppose you could probably book a prepaid rate and have someone stay for you.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
His two city life stays will be at DEN hotels, due to arriving late and departing early.
That's not likely to work.
Originally Posted by kipper
Imteresting, in that Mr. Kipper's doesn't say two cities just stay twice for that.
Did you click the link for the T&Cs on that tile and read them??
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Can't see any reason why they wouldn't count - they're still paid stays that earn qualifying points.

For those asking about rebooking - we'll only know for certain a week or two into the promo once things start posting, but my reading would be that only the 'book through us' element requires bookings to be made after 1/9/13, for all the others it's just that the stay has to fall within the 1/9/13-31/12/13 period, regardless of when the booking was made. Given I've got some non-refundable bookings then if they don't honour that I won't be trying to make any extra stays! (as it is though it's working as I'm moving some stays to them).

PS - just logged in again to the site to be told I've got my 'rewards seeker' badge
I read the usual cryptic T/C's.

The emphasis seems to be on Stays and Nights.

I made a "booking" today for September 1st. So I guess I'll know soon enough whether the actual booking (as opposed to the stay) must be from September 1st.

If the "booking" must be after September 1, IHG can expect a myriad of cancellations and re-bookings. That would simply clog the system and defeat the purpose of the contest.

Last edited by bearvest; Aug 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.