Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Soho (left IHG)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
How is breakfast in this hotel?
I mean...eggs, sausages, bacon, cheese and so on?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
There's plenty to eat, but it's a mixture of western and asian dishes. I seem to remember there being about half the number of western hot dishes that a UK HIE would have, but then there's all the noodle / rice / dumpling / etc things to have as well. Quality wise, I'd say it was nicer than most HIE breakfasts I've had elsewhere, closer to a HI.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just stayed there for a week.
Easy to get there from the AE. Easy check. I requested a high floor and got 32nd floor. View of the city buildings. They gave me a coke when I checked in. Elevators get busy during peak times. Room was small but fine for one person. If more than one person, you'll probably start running into eachother walking around. Bathroom was small but shower was actually fairly big. There's a sign that says to boil tap water before drinking which was a little disconcerting. Fridge in the room is convenient. Room layout was efficient. Bed was a bit firm but I like firm.

Breakfast was fairly poor quality wise, however you get more than most US HIEs. Get there early or it gets crowded.
Breakfast consisted of:
Oatmeal
Congee
Scrambled eggs
I think a second type of egg
Chicken Sausage
ham (they had undercooked bacon one day instead)
Cereal (Corn flakes/strange raisin bran)
Mantou
baked beans
plain yogurt
bread, croissants
fruit
juices, milk, coffee, tea
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
I personally won't bother on their breakfast.

Stayed there once, quite convenient, rooms are quite alright for HIE.

The food quality is low but sufficient. Staff unfriendly but get the job done. (They seem to be friendlier to Caucasians... I might be wrong)

Originally Posted by eng3
There's a sign that says to boil tap water before drinking which was a little disconcerting.
I don't recommend you to drink water directly from tap in Hong Kong. Old piping aside, Hong Kong's raw water source is from Dong Jiang (Dong River) in China - a somewhat polluted place for fresh water. Yes, massive treatment had taken place before reaching your tap, but I would not consume without boiling.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by eng3
Just stayed there for a week.
Easy to get there from the AE. Easy check. I requested a high floor and got 32nd floor. View of the city buildings. They gave me a coke when I checked in. Elevators get busy during peak times. Room was small but fine for one person. If more than one person, you'll probably start running into eachother walking around. Bathroom was small but shower was actually fairly big. There's a sign that says to boil tap water before drinking which was a little disconcerting. Fridge in the room is convenient. Room layout was efficient. Bed was a bit firm but I like firm.

Breakfast was fairly poor quality wise, however you get more than most US HIEs. Get there early or it gets crowded.
Breakfast consisted of:
Oatmeal
Congee
Scrambled eggs
I think a second type of egg
Chicken Sausage
ham (they had undercooked bacon one day instead)
Cereal (Corn flakes/strange raisin bran)
Mantou
baked beans
plain yogurt
bread, croissants
fruit
juices, milk, coffee, tea
This review is spot on. Room was small but fine. Bathroom used space efficiently as shower door doubled as bathroom door. Breakfast was good with half western/half Chinese offerings. Nothing spectacular but filling. If you had to sit outside, it was hot, however. Two waters were replaced daily in rooms. Automatically given late check out at check in. Didn't use it.

View from room was of helicopter landing pad between red Shun Tak buildings. Water? Yes. Harbor View? Hardly. Nice enough.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:56 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Checked out earlier today. Had two rooms for 20K each, good value IMO. Rooms on 35th floor, pretty good view. Small rooms, but that was expected. Breakfast was so-so, but since there were so many people, they were using also 38th floor function room for breakfast. Good coffee! Was offered late check-out, took it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:26 am

A first time visitor to Hong kong,looking to stay for 3 nights along with my wife and was just thinking if HIX Soho would be a good enough option considering the location and the ease of visiting tourist places from the hotel.
As I would be only there for 3 days,i am looking to see Hongkong and spend less time in the hotel and I think,i can let go of the luxury in HK and do the same in my upcoming next 3 days at Venetian/Conrad Macau
I was also thinking of Crowne plaza Kowloon east,as this is a points redemption stay and both of them are at 20k points/night.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Jasjot Sadana
A first time visitor to Hong kong,looking to stay for 3 nights along with my wife and was just thinking if HIX Soho would be a good enough option considering the location and the ease of visiting tourist places from the hotel.
As I would be only there for 3 days,i am looking to see Hongkong and spend less time in the hotel and I think,i can let go of the luxury in HK and do the same in my upcoming next 3 days at Venetian/Conrad Macau
I was also thinking of Crowne plaza Kowloon east,as this is a points redemption stay and both of them are at 20k points/night.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The CP looks like a nicer hotel with better amenities, but the location requires a much longer MTR ride into Central or Kowloon, with at least 2 transfers. When I researched the places, the extra 30-40 minutes to travel into town was a factor.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Originally Posted by Jasjot Sadana
Definitely stay at the Soho HIX.
It is extremely well located.
5 mins walk to train station, 7/8 mins to Macau ferry terminal with various restaurants, 10 mins to Central.
Clean and good value.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
The CP looks like a nicer hotel with better amenities, but the location requires a much longer MTR ride into Central or Kowloon, with at least 2 transfers. When I researched the places, the extra 30-40 minutes to travel into town was a factor.
I agree. CP Kowloon East is a way better property compared to HIX Soho. However it's location is really a big problem for visitors, especially if your itinerary is tight.

If you're looking for a more centralised location, go for HIX Soho.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Originally Posted by OB one
This review is spot on. Room was small but fine. Bathroom used space efficiently as shower door doubled as bathroom door. Breakfast was good with half western/half Chinese offerings. Nothing spectacular but filling. If you had to sit outside, it was hot, however. Two waters were replaced daily in rooms. Automatically given late check out at check in. Didn't use it.

View from room was of helicopter landing pad between red Shun Tak buildings. Water? Yes. Harbor View? Hardly. Nice enough.
+1

Just back from a fairly long stay at the property (on points) and we were very happy. As mentioned, room was on the small side, but we didn't go to HK to spend lots of time in the room! We were supplied with welcome drinks and a snack, which was appreciated after a long flight, and bottled water was replenished daily.

Room was well laid out and we found the bed hard too - but very comfortable with good quality bedding.

Considering this is a HIX located in Asia, I thought the breakfast was above average. You access it via coupons for the 3rd party Moon Thai restaurant on the second floor. The restaurant has inside and outside sections and can get busy. However, unlike most UK HIX breakfasts, staff are abundant and very efficient at keeping everything stocked up and tables cleared (but not to the extent of making us feel hurried - cutlery was always carefully placed back on the table when plates were taken). The Thai ambience (lemon grass scent and decor) is much more pleasant than the typical HIX 'great room' experience. Food is a mixture of Asian and Western, with slight tweaks each day (ham vs bacon) and 2/3 out of 4 rotating fruits.

Lifts were generally not as much of an issue as made out on a Trip Advisor.

In summary - if you go knowing what to expect of the HIX brand, then I think you'll find this property very much meets expectations and will surprise on the up side. Compared to most UK properties, the hotel is certainly a step up.

If going to HK again, we would return both on points or for paid stay.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Aviod this hotel!

A recent experience made me very disappointed with this hotel. The problem is that customer service is non-existence in this hotel. I am going to explain why.

Main problem:
1>, Not to hornour confirmed lower rate;
2>, Welcome drink was delivered on the day of departure after 3 calls in 3 hours.

Let me go through the story 1 as I think it will take longer to tell. I will ignore the story 2 as most of you would understand what have happened through the one sentence description.

So I booked four hotels one months before my departure, one Indigo in Europe, one CP in Beijing and two HIX in Hong Kong. Unfortunately, after I booked all these Advance Purchase Rate, the said hotels all lowered their Advance Purchase Rate by an average 20%.

Naturally got annoyed, I changed the rate online by using 'change this booking' function. CP and two HIXs all went through and received confirmation of updated rate. Hotel Indigo is locked and was not able to change the rate. I wrote to the hotel later and got the rate changed to the lower rate.

I checked-in to the said hotels and have the lower rate all hornored but one: HIX SOHO.

Upon check-in, the agent told me the usual Terms and Conditions blah blah. I was tired and decided to not to take up on these garbage. Just said OK I understand. I did not bother to go into details that other three hotels in this trip all hornoured the lower rate with CP and HIX East Kowloon did not even mention a word. Once I received my bill, I was shocked. The bill read (I used rough figure here please understand)

Deposit: HKD$1250
Room Rate: HKD$950
Room Charge: HKD$300
Balance: 0

So this hotel basically hornoured the rate after all. But they charged the deposit based on the original rate, instead of refund me the difference, they charged the difference as non-existence Room Charge.

From my point of view, this is BAD business practise. I wonder if I should take this issue to IHG. If they issue a bill on the old rate, I would be fine with that. But they hornoured the new rate and then add-on to make me to pay for the difference, that is somewhat bad to me.

So, I would strongly suggest you to avoid this hotel. HIX Kowloon East is 100% better than this place.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:55 pm

I'm not sure I understand? Isn't the advance purchased rate prepaid? If the rate went down I would not expect to be able to amend the booking to get the lower rate?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by essexadventurer
I'm not sure I understand? Isn't the advance purchased rate prepaid? If the rate went down I would not expect to be able to amend the booking to get the lower rate?
Yes you are half right. Some Advance Booking Rate have the cancellation deadline (thus not prepaid). Some Advance Booking Rate can not be cancelled but you can still modify the rate (the rate condition either say Can not be cancelled or can not be modified).

But that is not the point. The point is
1>, if I can modify the rate online and get IHg confirmation for updated rate, such rate should be hornored.
2>, It is up to the hotel to be customer friendly or not, and in turn it is my choice whether I will go back or not
3>, A hotel to lower the Advance Purchase Rate within 30 days of arrival is, IMO, bad revenue management. I think hotel has all the rights to change rate T45 and T60. But after T30 that is not correct.
4>, In this case, 3 other hotels have demonstrated excellence customer care in similar situation
5>, The hotel should issue the bill in old rate, if the invoice shows the new rate, they should hornour the new rate rather than add the difference to force me pay the original rate.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:31 am

When I try and book the advance purchase rate at this property it says

Rate Description: Take advantage of special savings when you book early. This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card between time of booking and day of arrival.

The terms look clear to me that the rate is locked in when you book, and I don't think you have a case against the hotel. I have some sympathy with point 1 if the IHG corporate site let you change the rate (against the T&Cs of this rate) but ultimately you've agreed a rate that you're willing to pay and the hotel is entitled to charge that.

I think the hotel is within it's rights to alter its rates up until check in date. If occupancy is lower than forecast it makes sense to lower the rate closer to check in and I've seen this happen in the UK.

It seems you want the advantage of cheaper advance booking rates, with the flexibility of being able to cancel and rebook if they become cheaper still?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.