Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Soho (left IHG)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by essexadventurer
When I try and book the advance purchase rate at this property it says

Rate Description: Take advantage of special savings when you book early. This rate is nonrefundable, requires full prepayment, and is charged to your credit card between time of booking and day of arrival.

The terms look clear to me that the rate is locked in when you book, and I don't think you have a case against the hotel. I have some sympathy with point 1 if the IHG corporate site let you change the rate (against the T&Cs of this rate) but ultimately you've agreed a rate that you're willing to pay and the hotel is entitled to charge that.

I think the hotel is within it's rights to alter its rates up until check in date. If occupancy is lower than forecast it makes sense to lower the rate closer to check in and I've seen this happen in the UK.

It seems you want the advantage of cheaper advance booking rates, with the flexibility of being able to cancel and rebook if they become cheaper still?
No, you misinterpreted the situation. Here is my counter points:
1>, If the hotel alter the rate by 5-8%, I think it is reasonable. But lower it by 24%, that is beyond belief. Any sensible business would tell you that is not the way to treat customers.
2>, You quoted a rate description perfectly, thank you. My question to you, is there any word stating that 'the rate can not be modified' or 'the reservation can not be modified'?
3>, I could modify my booking online is not due to the system error. For instance, the non-modifying rate in Indigo would not allow me to make modifications. If it is system error, maybe I should take this up to IHG?
4>, Regarding your last point, that is not the issue here. The issue here is that my rate seems to be modifiable and the hotel actually received the updated rate in system thus to charge me extra to meet the deposit. Plus if this rate can not be modified, I should never receive any confirmation from hotel, or the hotel should have contacted me once I made the modification.
5>, Again back to your last point, Modification and Cancellation are two different terms. Non-cancellation doesn't mean non-modification. If such reservation allow modification, new rate should apply.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:19 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Rate Description: Take advantage of special savings when you book early.
You could also take this as the hotel lying to you. You booked early but paid more than you would have if you had booked later. Or are the savings "special" because of that?

Legally, there is not much the customer can do, but if this happens it always leaves a bad feeling.

HTB.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Re 3 I think contacting IHG would be the way forward with a note that their system is misleading and does not make clear the ramifications of modifying a non flexible rate. You may get some goodwill points but who knows... Their IT is certainly shocking and I agree there should be transparency.

Fundamentally I can't still can't see that the hotel has done anything wrong. I had a similar thing last year in Birmingham UK (rate became around 15-20% cheaper) but I think that's always the risk of booking in advance (hotels or flights). Usually I book when I see a rate that I like and then don't look again!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:45 am
Suspended

Ive been there myself when the rate fell but not by that much. However a few weeks ago I booked a tkt to HKG, 1 week later it was $50 cheaper 3 weeks later it was just under $200 cheaper then what I paid, since the change fee is more then that Im stuck with the much higher fare I paid, $900+

Id say the same applys to any hotel, if the rate went up would anyone be calling asking them to charge them the higher amount? doubt it. Them the breaks when it comes to prepays be it an airline tkt, hotel room or car rental, once purchased its yours at the price paid. dont want to be locked in dont buy a prepay, its very simple

Last edited by craz; Dec 7, 2014 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
Ive been there myself when the rate fell but not by that much. However a few weeks ago I booked a tkt to HKG, 1 week later it was $50 cheaper 3 weeks later it was just under $200 cheaper then what I paid, since the change fee is more then that Im stuck with the much higher fare I paid, $900+

Id say the same applys to any hotel, if the rate went up would anyone be calling asking them to charge them the higher amount? doubt it. Them the breaks when it comes to prepays be it an airline tkt, hotel room or car rental, once purchased its yours at the price paid. dont want to be locked in dont buy a prepay, its very simple
You are absolutely right! However, I do think there is a bottom line:
1>, IHG always advertising book early will save you money. So they should stick to this principle.
2>, I personally believe hotel should refrain to lower rate significantly within 45 days of arrival. And they should be careful of lowering rate within 30 days of arrival, and certainly not to lower any rate at all within 14 days of arrival (T45 - T30 - T14).
3>, If the hotel is to lower the rate, I personally would object the rate to be lowered more than 8 to 10%. In my case, 24% is too much!

Yes hotel has the right to set the rate as demand grows or decreases. But there is something of when to lower or raise the rate and by how much. I am sure different people would have different opinions. To me, lower the rate within 30 days of arrival by 24% is too much and unethical. What is your opinion?

Re 3 I think contacting IHG would be the way forward with a note that their system is misleading and does not make clear the ramifications of modifying a non flexible rate. You may get some goodwill points but who knows... Their IT is certainly shocking and I agree there should be transparency.

Fundamentally I can't still can't see that the hotel has done anything wrong. I had a similar thing last year in Birmingham UK (rate became around 15-20% cheaper) but I think that's always the risk of booking in advance (hotels or flights). Usually I book when I see a rate that I like and then don't look again!
To add salt on the wound: the hotel post my points based on the 'new reduced rate' of HKD$900...After they charged HKD$1250. Should I take this up to IHG or the hotel?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:45 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
That's what revenue and yield managers do in a hotel.... they open and close rate categories as the demand goes up or down. They have the right to open or close those rates as the occupancy rate goes up or down.

Say you book an advanced booking which looks good to you, at that time, the projected occupancy rate was 60%. Suddenly 10 days before that said check-in date, a tour group cancels its 50 rooms. In order to maximize revenue, considering the little time they have left to sell those now available rooms, they will re-open their lower rates to induce sales.

I don't think any hotel says "book early to enjoy the lowest rate". That's why they say "to enjoy special savings" but savings to them is always versus their rack rate (which is their highest public rate).
Doesn't take out the fact that we feel "cheated" and bitter about it but to be honest, I don't think they will do much about it....
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:05 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Came back from my 2 night stay and was happy with it. When arriving with the Airport Express, alight at Hong Kong station then switch to the free hotel shuttle bus. It's bus H1, just make sure you go to the right direction as both buses (H1 and H2) split to two final destinations. First stop for that H1 line is the HIE Soho.
For an English speaker/reader, will it be easy to determine which bus to take from Hong Kong Station to the hotel?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:25 pm
htb

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
For an English speaker/reader, will it be easy to determine which bus to take from Hong Kong Station to the hotel?
Don't know. Depends on whether you can make out a difference between "H1" and "H2" or not.

HTB.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
You can always ask the staff. They should be able to tell you which bus you need to take. English is generally spoken in Hong Kong.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Or walk it is barely 10 minutes away!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Very easy.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/se..._free_bus.html
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:30 am
htb

Originally Posted by Modo
Or walk it is barely 10 minutes away!
Hardly. Maybe if you were jogging with two bags and ignore all the red lights.

HTB.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by htb
Hardly. Maybe if you were jogging with two bags and ignore all the red lights.

HTB.
Even with the ridiculous route suggested by Google Maps it is only 19 minutes.

I walk it regularly - but yes one wheeled carry on max.

Get on to the elevated walkway that runs along Connaught Road - cross Connaught at Wing On - immediately before the walkway turns right to go in to The Ferry Terminal (Shun Tak). Descend right on to Wing Lok Street and after 3 blocks turn left on to Cleverley Street. Jervois Street is less than 150M up hill and is the third proper road on the left. the hotel is almost on this corner to the left of the junction.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by Modo
Even with the ridiculous route suggested by Google Maps it is only 19 minutes.

I walk it regularly - but yes one wheeled carry on max.

Get on to the elevated walkway that runs along Connaught Road - cross Connaught at Wing On - immediately before the walkway turns right to go in to The Ferry Terminal (Shun Tak). Descend right on to Wing Lok Street and after 3 blocks turn left on to Cleverley Street. Jervois Street is less than 150M up hill and is the third proper road on the left. the hotel is almost on this corner to the left of the junction.
I know this route - but I won't recommend people with excessive luggage even think of walking... especially you have free feeder services bringing you to the door.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:45 am

Agree re the baggage

Originally Posted by LuisHK
I know this route - but I won't recommend people with excessive luggage even think of walking... especially you have free feeder services bringing you to the door.
But there are times of the day when the feeder is slow to turn up and the traffic outside is very congested.

I concede - probably a better route to the station from the hotel in peak hours when you have got familiar with the surroundings. If unfamiliar the walk is fairly simple but likely to be stressful.

But.... anyway I suggest avoid this hotel anyway. You can often pay half as much for better hotels in the same locale most nights. This Friday I can get a "suite" in an adjacent much better hotel for 40% of this hotel's rate. And the breakfast here at HIX is dire. Premium brand values/pricing of IHG properties in HK are crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.