Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Club - Discussion / Information about new Priority Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Rewards Club - Discussion / Information about new Priority Club

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by GordonUK
I was talking to the reception manager at one of my usual HIs yesterday. He was well aware of the change to IHG Rewards Club but knew nothing about free wi-fi being offered. From his point of view it would be virtually impossible to manage.

Later another regular guest was discussing the same subject with the Operations Manager. Feedback from him was that the hotel was likely to "opt-out" of offering this service.
I guess they are welcome to opt out of IHG anytime they please.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by redshift27
I guess they are welcome to opt out of IHG anytime they please.
it all only reflect's one thing about IHG "they are consistently inconsistent " !!!!!!

And I dare anyone to dispute that one !! Respectfully said to all.

Bottom line with IHG is that they are playing catch up to everyone else and as such are making mistakes. Sadly they did not reach out to their members for idea's and thoughts.

At the end of the day Marriott is still on top as a guest program properly rewarding all levels. While I am somewhat slanted as a LFT PL and PP I have reduced my stays to Marriott and Hyatt brands for myself and my company.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Bottom line with IHG is that they are playing catch up to everyone else and as such are making mistakes. Sadly they did not reach out to their members for idea's and thoughts.
I don't think either statement is completely true.

At the end of the day Marriott is still on top as a guest program properly rewarding all levels. While I am somewhat slanted as a LFT PL and PP I have reduced my stays to Marriott and Hyatt brands for myself and my company.
And the end of the day, Marriott is on the bottom in terms of number of hotels and range, especially outside of the US. IHG is number one. What good is the Marriott program when they don't have hotels where I need to be, and/or in the high or low range that I need?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't think either statement is completely true.

And the end of the day, Marriott is on the bottom in terms of number of hotels and range, especially outside of the US. IHG is number one. What good is the Marriott program when they don't have hotels where I need to be, and/or in the high or low range that I need?
That is your particular circumstance mine is based on my needs as well as company that includes over 100K miles in the air !!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
The grass is not always greener on the other side. I agree with some other, to my mind sensible posters, it is tangible benefits one should stay for , + the rewards points earning/redemption is a bonus and should not drive which brand you stay loyal to.

Unless one already has multiple brand status, changing brands hurts in the short term, especially if one has earned the top tier. So if you can book 100+ nights a year, maintaining 2x brands status is very sensible precaution.

Seems that most hotel brand loyalty schemes are reducing what they give us loyal followers back, now that nightly rates, booking,occupancy percentages are firming up after a few tough years for the hotel groups where they were chasing business.

As before each brands offering needs to be weighed against both your needs, hotel geography firstly, hotel price points next, and finally rewards one receives for staying, whether rewards are
upgrades / free internet / free breakfast / free lounge access with drinks hour
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great to see something being done, time will tell if it works for me.

Carolyn thanks for your input.

I have been acquiring points slowly over the years, and upgraded to Ambassador 11 months ago, as I had some stays and could benefit. Have to say that all my visits have been enjoyable, the products is good BUT

I just feel ripped off, recently stayed at the IC Sanctuary Cove (new property) got a great rate - but that lost its benefit as I got no points for it. The rate was too low - this is not mentioned at time of reservation.

There are too many variations to points earning to my opinion, and the points per stay just encourage mattress runs.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is your particular circumstance mine is based on my needs as well as company that includes over 100K miles in the air !!
Sure, we all have our unique travel patterns. But while 100K miles per year is a lot for most people, here on Flyertalk it isn't. Many of us average around 200K per year and the more serious travelers hit 300K. And some of us do that to dozens and dozens of different countries. That's why staying in a huge chain like IHG is important. I also have top status in Hilton, Starwood and Accor, because you never know. And I'm trying out Marriott Platinum now, but I'm not over impressed with the hotels themselves.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:22 am

Sure, we all have our unique travel patterns. But while 100K miles per year is a lot for most people, here on Flyertalk it isn't. Many of us average around 200K per year and the more serious travelers hit 300K. And some of us do that to dozens and dozens of different countries. That's why staying in a huge chain like IHG is important. I also have top status in Hilton, Starwood and Accor, because you never know. And I'm trying out Marriott Platinum now, but I'm not over impressed with the hotels themselves.
understand the top status as I as well have Hyatt D with my Marriott
my mileage was a point of reference that I do travel and 100 k is a rolling average for the last ten years. of course if one added my flight time in the USAF I be right there with Buzz Aldrin!!!

Now back to point IHG is playing catch up and in this writers opinion doing it poorly. I have been terribly disappointed in the lack of benefits traveling internationally with them versus Marriott or Hyatt. Since my pattern had changed somewhat I elected to try the add on of AMB coupled with my IHG PLT to my surprise nothing, nada !! no internet, no breakfast ( and in many countries breakfast is expensive ) as well as being a type 2 D breakfast is very important to me.

I did write to op out of renewal of AMB

Happy Easter to all !!!!!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now back to point IHG is playing catch up and in this writers opinion doing it poorly. I have been terribly disappointed in the lack of benefits traveling internationally with them versus Marriott or Hyatt. Since my pattern had changed somewhat I elected to try the add on of AMB coupled with my IHG PLT to my surprise nothing, nada !! no internet, no breakfast ( and in many countries breakfast is expensive ) as well as being a type 2 D breakfast is very important to me.
You are making the wrong comparison there with Ambassador status which isn't earned through stays and thus not worth a great deal. You should compare IC RA with Marriott Plat and Hyatt Diamond. With IC RA you get all those great benefits plus free mini-bar and guaranteed 8am check in, which IMHO puts it ahead of the competition.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
You are making the wrong comparison there with Ambassador status which isn't earned through stays and thus not worth a great deal. You should compare IC RA with Marriott Plat and Hyatt Diamond. With IC RA you get all those great benefits plus free mini-bar and guaranteed 8am check in, which IMHO puts it ahead of the competition.
IC Ambassador also offers...
-Fresh fruit upon arrival
-Mineral water in room, replenished daily

I have always thought how stupid that is too list that as an actual benefit...seriously?

I don't give a d**n about fruit and water....ill buy my own. Maybe its for people in their 70's? lol

Sorry if i offended anyone, but I just find it silly to list that as a benefit.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You spend your time on foreign trips tracking down local greengrocers to buy a selection of fruit? Very impressed. Same with water.

I can't be bothered. I'm happy to take the free stuff they deliver. In general, if you choose to stay in a 5-star IC you are not planning to rush out to the nearest fruit stall.

It is actually quite nice when the doorbell rings in the hotel and the guy is there with your fruit, water and welcome gift. Makes you feel welcome.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Raffles
You spend your time on foreign trips tracking down local greengrocers to buy a selection of fruit? Very impressed. Same with water.

I can't be bothered. I'm happy to take the free stuff they deliver. In general, if you choose to stay in a 5-star IC you are not planning to rush out to the nearest fruit stall.

It is actually quite nice when the doorbell rings in the hotel and the guy is there with your fruit, water and welcome gift. Makes you feel welcome.
I personally don't eat much fruit....lol. Rice, chicken, pork, fish and vegetables...thats my diet

I'm a simple guy...I usually just find a local store and buy my own stuff. I see you are from London. I stayed at the CP the City for new yrs and there was a convenient store next door which worked out nicely.

When I traveled to Dubai last yr...i also found a convenient store within walking distance. I like being adventurous and helps me meet the locals This usually works out week no matter where I travel. I don't need a guy in the hotel bringing me stuff lol
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I think the strategy has been a classic take it away and then give a bit back. They made it harder to earn points and qualify for plat at the beginning of the year, with the new announcement they are now making it a *little* easier to re-qualify with the multiple brands and the reward nights counting.

If reward nights count, I wonder if the cash + points nights will count, as these are essentially the same to the hotels.

It would be nice if IHG Care came back to answer a few more of the questions that have come up over the last few days.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:14 pm

My Marriott PP gives me great service and my Hyatt Diamond as well. I might add that there is no comparison in product between IGH and a full service Marriott or Hyatt and when you get to a JW or a PH then none!!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Marriott PP gives me great service and my Hyatt Diamond as well. I might add that there is no comparison in product between IGH and a full service Marriott or Hyatt and when you get to a JW or a PH then none!!
You should get great service as a top elite in any chain. But your comparison to JW's and PH's is not true at all. IC's are generally nicer than JW's and at least level with most PH's. I just stayed at the JW LA and it was nowhere near the quality of any European IC, with much less benefits when you compare IC RA with Marriott Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.