FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Please post your Priority Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2009) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1426889-please-post-your-priority-club-elite-experiences-archive-thread-2009-a.html)

est-gratuite Jan 18, 2009 11:11 am

Holiday Inn Frankfurt City South Conference Centre

What is your Priority Club status?

Platinum Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?

Not really, for reasons of service standards from the hotel bars and restaurants, the bad location of the hotel, small problems in room and the misleading room categories. (more on all this below).

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked "superior room" (lowest category), upgraded to "executive room" which had nothing executive about it except the partial skyline view (more details below).

How are the rooms?

Standard holiday inn decor...looks a little bit tired though...

Common areas, rooms and overall hotel shape have pure 1970's architecture with high rise brutalist grey concrete on the outside, drab brown colours and loads of strange star shaped & triancular shaped, jagged edges on the inside. Plus confusing floors with 2 levels (connected by internal stairs) and 2 seperate lifts based which level of the floor you are on....14 A or 14B, 17A or 17B and so forth....

How is the exec. lounge?

No lounge as far as I could see

What was good and what was bad?

Good:

The price of 46 euro per night on the 2 for 1 rate was excellent...considering their website flexible rate is between 100 and 150 euro for "executive rooms".

Guy at reception was the ONLY one who was helpful and friendly...at check in he gave me 2 vouchers for a free drink at the bar and a free ice cream. I don't know if he gave me these because I was Platinum Ambassador or because I arrived at check in absolutely soaking wet out of the rain (with luggage)...or both.

2 computers with free internet access in bare bones business centre but with VERY slow connections.

Bad:

1.) The "nearest" train and metro (U-bahn) station is "Frankfurt sud" (south), but this is VERY misleadingly close if you just see it on a map or are there for the first time. Firstly you need to get out of train station at the back end on the Mörfelder Land-strasse exit. The exit for this is only reachable by passing through the exits of metro (U-bahn) section. (If you don't know this you spend 15-25 min going out of various wrong exits and up and down stairs). Then, secondly, its a a 5min walk from the CORRECT station exit at Mörfelder Land-strasse (where there are no taxis) to the corner of Darmstädter Landstraße. Thirdly, its a gruelling 20 to 25 minute walk uphill Darmstädter Landstraße to the hotel.

The thing is, as soon as you are on the corner of Darmstädter & Mörfelder steets you can see the massive hotel at the top of the hill. It looks as if it's really close, but once you start uphill walking it just never ends. There is a public bus that goes up from the corner of Darmstädter & Mörfelder but its very infrequent, doesn't run at all times of the day and you need a ticket beforehand (walk back to the train station for that one, while your once every 20 min bus passes by without you).

Taxis are at the Hedderich-strasse train station exit and obviously will have to drive you to the other part of the train tacks and up the hill so you're looking at a good 15 to 25 euro trip each time.

2.) The price difference between lowest category superior rooms and executive rooms is only about 20 euro. Once you get to your executive room you find out why...the executive room guarantees "2 softdrinks and one chocolate bar" for free. That it. My room had no bathrobe, slippers, nail file, comb, shoe polish, magazines, nicer shower gels or anything else that would seem to make it worth more than the lower category room. It just had the bare minimum required for a HI room. Perhaps it was "executive" because it had a partial skyline view.

3.) Bathtub water would not heat properly and was very slow going down the tub drain when I wanted to get rid of the lukewarm water. A sticker on the wall (which looked like it had been there a few years) warned that water temperatures in the bathroom can vary drastically and there was a danger of scalding yourself ! Shouldn't they be able to regulate this ?! Besides, my water didn't even get hot.

4.) The hotel safe had VERY complicated instructions. I didnt use it.

5.) No in-room guide to hotel services.

6.) There is NOTHING worth seeing or going to around the hotel. Its deader than dead.

7.) 23 euro breakfast

8.) 2nd floor restaurant "Le Chef" closed on Sundays...

...The first thing the waitress barked at me upon entering the groundfloor "Bierstube" pub (to get my free ice-cream) was "there is no food being served anymore now"...charming ! makes me feel really welcome and want to spend and tip loads...

...Later when I went over to "Le Chou" bar a different waitress said "we are closing in 10 minutes". How about a "good evening" or "can i help you" ???!!!:mad: I got my free cocktail but had to scoff it down so the staff could rush home....

All of the staff bar and pub staff I saw spent most of the time talking to eachother rather than serving anyone. All the bars and restaurants close at 23:00 (11pm)...no ifs, ands or buts...I just felt it gave the impression of a sad and depressing hotel, where no one enjoys working there.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

46 euro a night is a good deal despite the out of the way location and problems I had...unfortunately in frankfurt the ONLY centrally located PC property is the pricey Intercontinental. So if you want to earn (or use) PC points and still be in a central frankfurt location you'll need to pay for the expensive IC.

Would you return?

It's too out of the way if you don't have a car, and there's nothing to see or do (or even go to) around the hotel, so even if I find a cheap rate I'm going to go for something more central....and if I can't get a good rate at the IC Frankfurt I'll just have to (shock, horror...gasp !:eek:) use a different hotel chain (such as starwood) when in Frankfurt.

drdanielmacdonald Jan 18, 2009 11:21 am

Crowne Plaza Birmingham, UK City Centre

Platinum Ambassador

Yep!

Booked standard (lowest category), upgraded to "club room" which had a great view (of brum!) and nice toileteries, biccies and water. Got club access- free good continental bfast and drinks in the eve (530-730)

How are the rooms?

Newly renovated- very nice and conteporary.How is the exec. lounge?

Nice- 2 PCs with printer, comfy.

Good:

The price of £25 anight (BOGOF) .

Bad:

New employee not understanding PC terms re: upgrade and struggled to find my reservation,

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?

Yep- espe4cailly with BOGOF

Would you return?

Yep!

stanontour Jan 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Intercontinental Manila

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked junior suite on one stay upgraded to executive Suite
Booked executive suite on another stay upgraded to state suite

How are the rooms?
Can be a little noisy depending on who is in the room above. (moved rooms due to the amount of noise one night) also the plumbing in the bathroom is a little loud.
Bathrooms small and the height of the ceiling might be an issue for 6 footer when taking a shower

How is the exec. lounge?
Really good. 2 PC's to use, there is a strict dress code mid afternoon onwards (no shorts allowed)

I have stayed there a number of times as a RA and Ambassador (spent too much time at Starwood properties last two years so got downgraded to Ambassador!) and always been given upgrade.

One time I had booked Exec suite expecting the state suite was told there was a fault with the state suite, but the club lounge manager said if i accepted exec suite they would charge me the junior suite rate.

soitgoes Jan 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West MSP/MOA, Bloomington, MN
www.cpmsp.com

- What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes.

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard room; received junior suite.
At check-in, received voucher for a F&B item from a few different choices. I chose to redeem it in the bar/lounge for a free appetizer--which entitled me to any of the food items on the bar menu. I had crabcakes, which were plenty for a light dinner (two generous crabcakes and mixed greens).
Under my door overnight, with my billing statement, I received two breakfast vouchers (valid for buffet or menu entree); they were appreciated, but it seemed like a strange time to receive them.

- How are the rooms?
Junior suite has a 'wet bar' (just a sink and a cabinet with nothing in it), microwave, minifridge, and a sofabed and two additional armchairs in addition to the standard furnishings in the regular guest rooms. All rooms have 42" LG flat panel TVs and free wired and wireless Internet access.

Rooms are in good repair; beds are comfortable; decorations are kind of plain, with limited artwork or other decoration.

- How is the exec. lounge?
None.

- What was good and what was bad?
Good: Staff was uniformly friendly and generally competent (with the exception of one maintenance man--see below). Food was very good. Platinum recognition was excellent. TVs were nice. Pool area is pleasant, with a decent hottub and a nice workout room (new equipment with personal TVs, etc.).

Bad: Tub stopper didn't work (i.e., couldn't take a bath); maintenance staffer couldn't speak English at all (e.g., difference between toilet and tub was indicated by me by pointing); attempted fix didn't work. The hotel offered me a couple of solutions, including the wonderful idea of just giving me access to the connecting King room so I could use its bathtub; it was a simple and quite satisfactory solution, both for me and the hotel (occupancy was light). The next day, the housekeeping supervisor had a different maintenance staff member take a look at the tub and he seems to have fixed it. Location would be bad for extended stays unless you had a car; shuttle to the airport and Mall of America would be fine for one night.
No newspapers available--for free or purchase--on weekends AT ALL. This irritated me, as there are no shops nearby.
Housekeeping was somewhat spotty; the housekeeping manager is on leave, so that may explain some of that.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Paid $72+tax at AAA rate. Good value. Would return.

lemieux66 Jan 20, 2009 2:32 pm

HI Stuttgart

Platinum RA

-Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes.

Booked standard room; received Executive room.
Upgrade was already arranged uppon my arrival.

- How are the rooms?
Very spacious corner-room, good refurbished and in perfect condition.
Complementary bottle of water and fruit plus free magazines. Modern flatscreen TV. All in all very nice.

None.

Good: Very friendly staff. Nice upgrade.
Bad: Hotel is located about 15min. from Stuttgart city-centre.

As always pretty high room rate, not matching the offered standard. I paid 110 EUR, flexible rate without breakfast. As a PC point addict I will return though :D

nicolas75 Jan 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by lemieux66 (Post 11111200)
HI Stuttgart

I only stayed once at this hotel, some years ago, and did not have a good impression.

The hotel was out of town (I cannot really say out of action, as I am not quite sure that there is any action in Stuttgart). It was snowing and it was quite challenging to find my way from the airport

In the morning, the reception has forgotten to wake me up, so I came late at my business appointment. No apologies: "Just, but Mr nicolas75, we went into your room to wake you up :rolleyes::rolleyes: and did not wake up!)

I moved to the IC (now Le Méridien), which was not exactly great either (even if better and more centrally located)

Chinatrvl Jan 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 11111413)
I only stayed once at this hotel, some years ago, and did not have a good impression.

One of my frequently visited and favorite hotels. Almost 100 % upgrades, very friendly staff.
It's in a business park, out of town, but very convenient if your client is around the corner... I wouldn't book that for a "sightseeing" or airport stay though.

TheBeerHunter Jan 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Holiday Inn Chateau LeMoyne (French Quarter, New Orleans LA)

Platinum Royal Ambassador

Yes

Booked a standard king room, and that's what I got. We were located on the top floor back in a corner, not on the street -- perhaps this was the "upgraded" part of the experience ;)

- How are the rooms?

Room was OK; a little tired looking. Large closet. Aircon a bit noisy, but mitigated somewhat by leaving the fan on constantly.

n/a

Good:
- Location can't be beat if you want to be near "the action": on Dauphine in the French Quarter -- one block from Bourbon but relatively quiet considering.
- Staff was very friendly
- on-site bar was decent
- free wifi

Bad:
- stingy with the bath toiletries (only body lotion and shampoo on offer) but really, nothing major to note

- OK value. Can usually find cheaper properties in the FQ than this at this time of year though, so shop around. Would likely book at the IC again if staying at ICH property, though.

sultanbinaber Jan 21, 2009 5:09 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite (Post 11097983)
Booked "superior room" (lowest category), upgraded to "executive room" which had nothing executive about it except the partial skyline view (more details below).

Made exactly the same experience (just without free ice-cream as I am only gold ;) ). A few days after my stay I e-mailed the GM and stated that I was very unhappy with service & room. He mailed back, telling me that I did not stay in an executive room (what was told me while check-in). Very strange... :rolleyes:

TheAlien Jan 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Hotel Indigo LONDON-PADDINGTON

Hotel Indigo LONDON-PADDINGTON

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked a standard double on points and on checking in I asked for an upgrade and was told I was in the best room they had. In fact it turned out to be the one used on the web site for room pictures.

How are the rooms?
Very good. Quite chic and comfortable. Good sized bed and plenty of space in the room around the desk and seating area. The bathroom looks a bit small though but I have not yet had chance to try it out.

How is the exec. lounge?
Do'n't think there is one.

Good: Staff are very friendly and helpful. And everything else just seems to be good.

Bad: The location is good for communications into the rest of London (and Heathrow via the HEX) since it is 3 minutes walk from Paddington station However generally the area around teh hotel is a bit what could be called "grim tourist". There are a lot of low quality resturants and pubs but they tend to be well over priced, even for London. The in hotel cafe/bar also seems to be charging VAT 17.5% when it has been reduced to 15% temporarily.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Excellent. I would return.

NetSurfer69 Jan 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Crowne Plaza - St. James, London

Crowne Plaza - St. James, London

Platinum

- Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yep - was traveling with wife and little one on vacation. Great location, very close to Buckingham Palace, access to the tube, access to Big Bus tour operator, etc. Well-suited for a tourism visit and with family - the property has 4-5 unique and rated restaurants. I wouldn't stay at this location on a business visit - usually stay at the HI Regents Park or the Hilton International based on client location on business visits.

Booked a standard room on points for 1 week, but was upgraded to a one of their larger double-bed rooms at the PC check-in desk. The lady at the desk said it was one of their 2 best rooms - it was a corner room and had nice views on to the courtyard.

- How are the rooms?
The room we were given was about twice the size of typical London rooms - great for my 4-year old. The property is a little dated (you can feel some creaking boards etc.) but well maintained. Housekeeping and Room service was excellent - they were very attentive with both daytime and evening turn-down service.

No exec lounge.

Attentive customer service - desk, concierge, housekeeping and room service
Liked the Restaurant options (though a little pricey).
They made special dishes for my little one who is a picky eater

Great value for PC Points. Would definitely return.

ms1664 Jan 22, 2009 2:44 am

Holiday Inn Montparnasse-Av. du Maine, Paris

Platinum

Yes

Booked a STANDARD ROOM, received a room on the 8th (top) floor. It seemed to be one of the bigger rooms according to the floorplan.
Not sure if this was really an upgrade (I didn't bother to ask) since I arrived late and just wanted to go to my room straight away.

How are the rooms?
Quite good. Very comfy bed and pillows. There was a convertible-to-bed sofa in one end.

How is the exec. lounge?
Didn't ask but I don't think there is one.

Good: Friendly and efficient nightclerk at check in. Location was fine for my needs. Free internet, you have to call reception to ask for the login and password though.

Bad: Bathroom a bit smallish. Breakfast so-so.

Maybe, maybe not. I think I'd try out some other property in Paris unless I really needed to be close to Montparnasse.

A couple of pics :

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/S1034868.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...4/S1034869.jpg

lamphs Jan 22, 2009 5:59 am

HI & Suites - Universal Blvd., Orlando

I just stayed 4 nights in the Holiday Inn & Suites located on Universal Blvd. in Orlando. Nice, clean property. Located at the outskirts of the International Drive area (Sand Lake & Universal). International Drive is a 5-10 minute walk from the property - easy walk on a nice evening to go out to eat. The convention center is a 5 minute drive from the property. And Lockheed has a significant facility across the street. Staff was very friendly. Only a breakfast is available - sort of a HI Express breakfast buffet with the addition of pre-prepared eggs and bacon.

I am a Platinum member. I received a coupon for a single breakfast and a bottle of water and bag of popcorn at check-in. I questioned the breakfast - I expected at least breakfast throughout my stay. But I didn't press the issue as breakfast was included at the event that I was attending.

The more pressing problem was that of the room. It was a standard room. (And, while upgrades are nice, I spend very little time in a hotel room, so generally whether or not I am upgraded does not make a difference to me.) That being said, if you are staying in this property for business, you need to plan in advance. The standard room has a small table, in lieu of a desk, no table lamp, and no chair that fits with the table so that it can be used as a desk. I inquired at to room options at the front desk as I actually had a project to work on each evening on this trip. After staff conducted a lengthy discussion behind closed doors, I was told that I could transfer to a "suite" the next morning. That worked for me as I had already unpacked for the evening. The suite was ready the next morning and I transfered. I am appreciative to Crystal for making that happened.

My point here though is that their "suite" is furnished approximately the same as a Courtyard room, except the sofa is actually a sofa bed. If you need to use this hotel for business, then you should call ahead and make proper room arrangements.

Steve

Downunder girl Jan 23, 2009 12:40 am

Crown Plaza Terrigal (NSW) Australia.

I am a new member and have no status (yet - give me time ;) ). This is only my second stay at a PC hotel.

Yes

Booked Terrigal view (not ocean) on special 72 hour sale rate Summer Escape.

Got a high floor, side Ocean view room of Terrigal beach, balcony, and nice complimentary bottle of champagne (ok Australian Sparkling wine ;) which I am currently drinking while posting - will likely move to the Bugger, I'm drunk thread later in the evening ;)).

How are the rooms?
Room is fine - a little older style rustic - no flat screen etc. Spacious room with 2 beds and nice bathroom. Balcony with chairs/table and nice view.

How is the exec. lounge?
Didn't ask but not sure there is one.

Good: Friendly and efficient reception staff. In fact all staff we have come in contact with have been lovely and very friendly. Paid internet ($27.50 per 24 hrs), you have to call reception to ask for the password though. Buffet breakfast '"special offered for $25 for Adults and $20 for my 13 yr old. Will report how it is in the morning. EDIT: Breakfast was fantastic! Even have a squeeze your own fresh juice bar and so many bread choices - WOW. Order your own omlette was being done from the kitchen but still great.

Bad: Nothing I have noticed so far, other than the pool is crowded and too small for the size of the hotel and steam room is NOT working. Will edit post later after sleeping the night ;) if need be. EDIT: Beds too small (only double or perhaps even king single) and not very comfortable at all - (need refurb which is coming from FEB-JUNE 09 ).

I was on a fantastic rate - $149 per night and this hotel normally sells for around $380 on a weekend. Is a long weekend in Australia so is a great deal.

I would return if the rate is good :).

skowse Jan 23, 2009 7:50 am

Holiday Inn, New Braunfels, TX

Platinum

Yes

Booked a standard king room, and that's what I got.

How are the rooms?
Fridge, microwave, TV, wireless internet - pretty average

n/a

Good:
- Near where I was working
- free wifi

Bad:
- External entry (no corridors)
- No newspaper delivery
- Noisy airconditioner
- Have to go to front desk to check out and get bill

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?-
Value OK, will return (would probably stay elsewhere if not for points)