FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Please post your Priority Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2009) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1426889-please-post-your-priority-club-elite-experiences-archive-thread-2009-a.html)

Jet2K Jan 21, 2007 10:44 am

Please post your Priority Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2009)

I thought it might be useful to have a thread similar to the excellent Royal Ambassador experiences thread, but focusing on the Priority Club Elite experiences:

- What is your Priority Club status?
- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
- How are the rooms?
- How is the exec. lounge?
- What was good and what was bad?
- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

If you are an Gold or Platinum Ambassador, there is a dedicated thread for Ambassador Experiences.

Moderators Notice:
Newer Posts could be found in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...periences.html

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

skchin Jan 2, 2009 1:19 pm

HI Windsor, Canada

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a king leisure, got a King Executive Suite next to the Exit stairs with the view of the Canadian tunnel customs.

How are the rooms?
Lots of room for 2 adults and 1 baby on the bed.
I was not happy with the firm pillow.
The bathroom door was broken and it was hard to open and close.
We had a old 27' tv with a bad cable connection. Lower half of all channels were fuzzy. Because we were next to the exit stairs, we were sometimes suprised by large bangs.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

What was good and what was bad?
Good: Location
Bad: Pay parking

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Average value - I will return if nothing else is available.

KIXman Jan 3, 2009 12:34 am

IC Manila , Philippines

Platinum Ambassador

Stayed twice over the past week, the first time around was not satisfied due to poor service / recognition, but the second time was not too bad.

For both stays, booked a King Deluxe Room, and in both cases got upgraded to an Executive room on the Club Intercontinental Floor

How are the rooms?
Decor is mainly in brown colors, providing a soothing atmosphere.
Room faclities are OK, but the bathrooms are small.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not too bad a view. Roomy. Food needs improvement, there not being much variety in food. Also, canapes were stale.

Location?
Excellent location for access to the nearby shopping malls.

Good:
- Upgrade to Club room was great.
- Perhaps it was the Club priviledges, but internet was free, unusual for an IC.
- Welcome gift was a leather pen holder

Bad:
- "Instant Check-in" definitely it was not. It took a long time to do so during the first stay.
- Beds were a bit hard
- My choice of newspaper was not delivered.
- Pay movies were not activated until I mentioned it
- Old CRT TV

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
At only about $25 more expensive than the Holiday Inn at the time, definitely worth it, considering location, service and amenities

Would you return?
yes

vsevolod4 Jan 4, 2009 11:49 pm

HI Strasbourg (Alsace), France

Platinum, Royal Ambassador

Yes

Booked standard room. Was upgraded to the Executive Floor.

- How are the rooms?
Reminded me of a Crowne Plaza room.

N/A

Very nice and friendly service at the front desk and concierge.
There was a welcome gift in the room; a nice selection of fruits. Almost like an Ambassador gift (but no free minibar)
Good location if you're there to visit the European Parliament, although a bit of a hike (1 mile or so) to get to the (beautiful) old town area (but an easy walk or you can take the tram). You can also walk about 1km to the Beurehiesel restaurant (formerly a 3-star, but lost the stars because the chef left and handed it over to his son).
The tram is a modern one and not very noisy, but when it starts up at 5 am or so, it wakes you up even on the 12th floor. I guess the windows are fairly thin and not soundproof.

105 Euro is a bit much for a HI hotel, but there's not a lot else on the market there.
Would love to return.

MasaTokyo Jan 7, 2009 8:57 pm

HI Chiang Mai, Thailand

Platinum

Yes.

Booked a superior room with BF, got a Suite room.

How are the rooms?
Huge. Two TVs and two bathrooms. A little bit old but still nice interior.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good: BF restaurant with reverside view. Friendly staffs.
Bad: The location is a little too far from the center of city.

Yes, very good value and I'll return if I have another chance to go to Chiang Mai.

Swiss Tony Jan 7, 2009 11:45 pm

CP Changi Airport

Platinum

Yes.

Booked a standard room, think I got a standard room with runway view and a few hand-made chocolates on a tray.

How are the rooms?
Big, had that new feel to them but nothing really special

How is the exec. lounge?
Wasn't given access :(

Good: Location for overnight transit, comfy bed
Bad: Disappointed not to get a better upgrade, especially given the hotel was quiet

Very good $ rate for such a new hotel in Singapore. Would return if it was a short stopover, but otherwise would stay in town

IMH Jan 8, 2009 9:15 am

HI Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Germany

Holiday Inn Nürnberg (Nuremberg), Germany January 2009

Platinum

Yes.

Booked a "king bed superior" room and got one. Fifth floor, two large windows. I'm 99% sure that this hotel doesn't have anything better/pricier. Looking at the floor plan, our room and the one next to it appeared significantly larger than all the others on our floor.

How are the rooms?
Ours was great. Obviously quite recently furnished and decorated. Very clean. Decent TV. Functional bathroom with underfloor heating.

How is the exec. lounge?
n/a

Good: As well as the room, the in-house restaurant and bar impressed us. Great food, including typical regional fare, and well-kept beers at very fair prices. Far better than any hotel eatery we've been to in the past year or two. Location is great: very close to city centre shops and the taxi from the railway station came to €8 including tip. We could have walked if we'd not had luggage and there hadn't been 4" of snow.
Bad: No free internet access.

We paid €86, which was around $115 that day, and were very happy with the price. We're often in that part of Germany and will definitely be back.

IMH Jan 8, 2009 9:48 am

Holiday Inn San Juan, Puerto Rico

Holiday Inn San Juan, Puerto Rico December 2008

(To improve the chances of this being found by searchers: the hotel is located on Calle Tartak, Isla Verde, and uses "Isla Verde" on its own printed materials, but it can be found on various websites, including IHG websites, as both Holiday Inn San Juan and Holiday Inn Carolina.)

Platinum

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
No. We were very disappointed.

Booked a "king bed deluxe ocean view". Got a cramped corner room which did indeed have a king bed and an ocean view but did not in any way deserve the adjective "deluxe".

Check-in staff (late evening) didn't recognize Plat status, despite being shown the card, and insisted we were only Gold. Followed up on second day, got Plat into system but was told there was no upgrade available. As this was a holiday, we paid for an upgrade to a suite.

How are the rooms?
The original "king bed deluxe" room was small. The suite was much better, but the bedroom TV was old and the furniture and paintwork looked tired. Bathroom was functional but extremely small. Only one washbasin, which was outside the bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Initially it was closed "for Christmas" and due to reopen on December 29. It didn't. No one explained or apologized.

Good: fairly good location.
Bad: This could easily become a longer list than anyone would want to read, so I'll limit it to highlights. There were no truly horrific problems, but an apparent lack of interest in resolving anything allowed relatively minor annoyances to mount up. Result: overall dissatisfaction. Wired internet access involved moving a large piece of furniture, moving the (large and heavy) TV and crawling around on the floor (no wireless internet available). Initially no bonus for Platinum status, after two visits to front desk we were told we could have complimentary continental breakfast -- "but if you have an egg that makes it full American" which would mean $6 per person extra. We breakfasted elsewhere for the rest of our week. No one seemed to feel responsible for cleaning floor/tables in reception and cookie/coffee shop area. With one or two exceptions the prevailing attitude seemed to be that everything is too much trouble and someone else is responsible.

Poor value. A typical Hampton Inn provides a better experience for less than half the price. We won't be going back.

EdV Jan 8, 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 11035448)
got Plat into system but was told there was no upgrade available. As this was a holiday, we paid for an upgrade to a suite.

I hate when this happens; telling you there is no upgrade available for free but there is one when you suddenly want to pay. Now I know that they don't have to offer suites, especially for PLATS (you could argue they need to for RAs) but still irks me. The only thing worse is when they say there are "no suites available at all" but then one opens up when you want to pay to upgrade to ti. :mad:

IMH Jan 8, 2009 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by EdV (Post 11035775)
Now I know that they don't have to offer suites, especially for PLATS (you could argue they need to for RAs) but still irks me.

Absolutely. It's also bad business -- definitely not the way to make your customers hurry back or rush to recommend you. A free upgrade to a suite would have been very generous, given the vast difference in quality, but there was a lot of spare capacity throughout our stay and it's the kind of gesture that wins friends.

It did seem typical of the attitude at this particular property, though, that no one was willing (or authorised?) to do anything to resolve issues or make up for mistakes and inconvenience. Silly, really, considering how little it usually takes to get a slightly unhappy customer back on your side -- much of the time, an inexpensive gesture (complimentary breakfast, some fruit, free parking, a drink at the bar) will do the trick.

MXM135 Jan 8, 2009 1:05 pm

It appears that the management of this hotel is not familiar with IHG's new corporate motto: "Great Hotels Guests Love". According to IHG's 2007 Annual Report (from IHG website):

"Our core purpose is to create Great Hotels Guests Love. We do this by placing guest satisfaction at the heart of everything we do and, as a result, developing our financial strength for the benefit of all our stakeholders."

mxm135 :)

golsquare Jan 9, 2009 12:40 am

CP Changi Airport

Platinum

Yes.

Booked a King Bed Guest Room, Upgraded to a Suite

How are the rooms?
Suite was pretty large, bathroom off hallway, office area, living room with plasma, seperate tea/coffee area, bedroom, walk in dressing area, bathroom with tub, two sinks with seperate loo and shower. all rooms can be seperated by sliding solid doors.

How is the exec. lounge?
not included in the upgrade.

Good:location, basement 2 of T3 is just 5 mins walk away as is MRT entrance with shopping centre and food courts nearby. Pool was great.

excellent upgrade but only after asking (see below)

Bad: No immediate recognition of PC status. Made a point to introduce myself and ask for the upgrade. Thereafter was met by the duty manager, upgrade was given and got a personal welcome with drinks and some french pastries delivered to the room in the evening.
They still charge for wireless access! if you walk 5 secs outside the door of the hotel into T3 you can get free wireless on wireless@sg in the airport.

Very good value as a stopover, for longer stays I tend to go with the Intercontinental which has a terrific new club lounge (review to come soon)

andyjbray Jan 9, 2009 1:31 am

Originally Posted by EdV (Post 11035775)
I hate when this happens; telling you there is no upgrade available for free but there is one when you suddenly want to pay. Now I know that they don't have to offer suites, especially for PLATS (you could argue they need to for RAs) but still irks me. The only thing worse is when they say there are "no suites available at all" but then one opens up when you want to pay to upgrade to ti. :mad:

Why would you argue they need to for RA's? I didn't think the RA program has anything to do with Holiday Inns?

canalgal Jan 9, 2009 9:43 pm

upgrade rooms

Hi,

I consider the upgraded room to be the main benefit of my platinum membership. Relative to that, I see a lot about getting upgrades and I'm wondering if you all get these at check-in (upon request) or can you request them ahead of time (like at reservation time?)

I ask because I often get turned down for upgrade at check-in because they say it's too late for them to make this change. (Luckily, I do also often get upgrades or I wouldn't bother to stay in the program.)

Also, I can't quite figure out if we should get an upgrade on award nights or not. It seems like I sometimes do and sometimes don't. I was thinking it wasn't part of the program but I usually ask anyway.

I'd appreciate any suggestions in this regard as I'm going to stay at a HI resort in Sanya, China on award basis in a few days and would really like to get an upgrade room.

htb Jan 10, 2009 12:45 am

Originally Posted by canalgal (Post 11046990)
I see a lot about getting upgrades and I'm wondering if you all get these at check-in (upon request) or can you request them ahead of time (like at reservation time?)

You get the upgrade at the time of check-in, "based on availability". A room away from the elevator or on the second floor may be considered an upgrade to the room next to the elevator or on the ground floor. Other than complimenting for the nice upgrade and staying away from a particular hotel that refuses to give upgrades there is nothing you can do...

HTB.

MasaTokyo Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm

HI Atrium Singapore

Platinum

Yes.

Booked a king-bed deluxe, got a suite & welcome drink coupon (beer, wine or softdrink) at lobby bar.

How are the rooms?
"Suite" meant two connecting rooms of the same size of an ordinary room. Two TVs and two bathrooms.

How is the exec. lounge?
Access was not given.

Good: Usualy cheaper than the other IHG hotels in Singapore.
Bad: Location is not so convenient unless you use public buses.

Yes.

ssnz Jan 11, 2009 1:01 am

HI Wellington New Zealand

Platinum

Yes.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Reserved a basic room, prepaid corporate rate, upgraded to suite, also (although not really a benefit) received a call from the GM shortly after checking in to introduce herself as well as provide a direct mobile number for any issues during the stay.

How are the rooms?
Fairly modern and bright. Large building being constructed next door - VERY close -will look right in to rooms when completed. Living room, kitchen, large bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge here.

Good: Location. Central city and opposite parliament.
Bad: Room service. Has been acceptable at previous stays (when Gold) but was probably the worst of the year during this stay.

Yes. Way better than the IC down the road.

ssnz Jan 11, 2009 1:10 am

HI City Centre, Christchurch NZ

Platinum

50/50

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Reserved a basic room, prepaid corporate rate, upgraded to executive room.

How are the rooms?
Very large but VERY out of date. Faced a rootop nightclub with music until 2am. Staff didnt care less.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge here.

Good: Very little. Close to the CBD, but lots of hotels in the area so not unique.
Bad: NO vegetarian food on the menu other than noodles from the express menu and staff unwilling to make anything or suggest a delivery company. Loud music from nightclub.

Fairly well priced but better value alternatives around the corner.

MDtR-Chicago Jan 12, 2009 8:23 am

CP Chicago O'Hare

Gold

Mostly

No reservation - airline bump voucher. Received "Executive Floor" king room.

How are the rooms?
Good - though not especially exciting. Fairly large. Extensive renovations happening in the lobby and higher floors so watch out.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not sure if there was one - maybe out of service for renovations?

Good - As a Gold, got "upgraded". Was offered free wifi and bottled water.

Bad - "Upgraded" room was the closest possible room to the renovations. They started with some sort of drilling around 8am. It wasn't unbearably noisy but would have woken me up if I were still sleeping. Had to check out at the desk in order to get the wifi charge taken off (did not have to ask but did have to stop by the desk for them to notice it). Did not get PC points for incidentals (no stay credit due to non-qualifying airline rate).

Since I paid $0, the value was great. Overall the hotel was fine and I would return, avoiding the renovation floors.

est-gratuite Jan 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Intercontinental IC Budapest Hungary

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked standard room, got upgrade to sixth floor room with river view

How are the rooms?
Normal intercontinental standard....nothing more, nothing less AND like most IC properties in Europe, the bathrooms are way too small in my opinion !

How is the exec. lounge?

No idea...didn't ask if I could have free access

Good - Good upgrade, was accompanied to the room by the reception manager, pool was under refurbishment but was given daily voucher to use facilities in Sofitel hotel next door.
Bad - Despite asking 4 times I never managed to find or get a newspaper...even at 14:00 in the afternoon !
Rates on offical PC and IC website can be very misleading...see below.

Rates can vary widely at this property and this hotel charges a 20 Euro DAILY supplementary fee starting with the second 2nd guest (something I hate with a vengeance) even if its a twin room or double bed. Also, most hotels in Budapest slap on an additional 23% in taxes onto the rate you see. Therefore, read the estimated final cost very carefully before you click on the "confirm reservation" button, cause what initially appears to be a 100 Euro a night rate for 2 people is in reality 147.60 Euro a night rate; withOUT even adding breakfast !
Despite this I got a great deal on the 2 for 1 rate and paid just under 70 Euro a night with taxes but without breakfast.
Using points will help you avoid all these extra charges.

Would you return?

Location and views are almost the best in town...so the answer is yes....if I find a decent rate.

jbfield Jan 13, 2009 1:01 pm

HI Express, Berlin City Centre, Deutschland

Gold

Yes.

Reserved a standard room during 2 for 1 promotion. Got the room I booked but on the top floor (possibly as I requested a nice view).
Also received a gift a check-in: some mints...managed to get a total of four packs during the course of my stay.

How are the rooms?
Fairly modern, bright and coloured.
Quite small but not claustrophobic and with a decent view of the neighbouring land. Some broken fixtures, but overall nice.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge here.

Good: Staff were friendly, design of the hotel was nice and modern and had a positive hospitable atmosphere. Breakfast was included and was good. Interesting bathroom layout (two compartments but only one swing door) with a soft blue night for night time.
Bad: Location is a bit far from life. Coffee cup in room was cracked - didn't find out until I had poured my boiling water into it and then left it to brew for five minutes!
Wifi - didn't seem to find it. There is one public computer near the front desk for free internet use but seemed to be heavily used by 'Facebook'ers and it didn't seem a very trust-able/safe computer.
Bed - Duvet was a bit short for me.

Yes with the 2 nights for 1 promotion, but otherwise will depend on where I need to be as location is not brilliant.

est-gratuite Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm

Crowne Plaza CP City Centre Amsterdam

Platinum Ambassador

I was actually surprised at how much I liked this hotel, despite the rooms (see below).

Booked standard room, got upgrade to sixth floor room with free lounge access which was great (see details below)

How are the rooms?
Room and bathrooms are a bit small (amsterdam standard ?) and definetly need a refurbishment. The decor looks like its from the same time the hotel was opened....late 80's or early 90's....common areas are better.

How is the exec. lounge?

Pretty outstanding for a Crowne Plaza...terrace with view over Amsterdam. Lounge had free breakfast (albeit not as extensive as if you had paid in the restaurant for it) 2 computers with free internet, free newspapers & magazines, free nibbles, free soft drinks and free alcohol until 23:00 every night.

Good
- Location very close to train station and city centre
- Free Lounge access and quality of lounge.
- Small but nice swimming pool, 2 saunas and 2 changing rooms (male and female). 24 hour access to gym and swimming facilities upon request.
-Bar and Brasserie had decent prices and nice food (very difficult to find in any hotel these days)
-Free sparkling water each day
-Almost all staff were genuinely friendly and helpful

Bad
- Window in room could not be opened (perhaps in other rooms it can be)
-If you dont have Platinum status (which gets you free lounge access) or find a discounted room rate this place will seem overpriced....

If I'd paid the standard 150 Euro per night without lounge access, free internet or breakfast...(as any standard PC or Gold member might have) I would have felt ripped off...especially upon seeing the unrefurbished small rooms.
Paid a 2 for 1 rate and got it for just over 80 euro a night which seemed like a bargain for all the extras we got.

Would you return?

Yes....if I find a decent rate and still get lounge access with my platinum status.

TheAlien Jan 14, 2009 3:13 am

Holiday Inn - TOULOUSE CENTRE

Holiday Inn - TOULOUSE CENTRE

Platinum Ambassador

Yes.

Booked Double bed non-smoking was upgraded on check-in to an executive room

How are the rooms?
Good size but need modernisation. This one has few power outlets, so charging a phone and a laptop at the same time is tricky.

How is the exec. lounge?
-

Good:
Not a bad hotel, very good location.

Bad:
There is (still) building work going on at the time of writing (Janurary 2009)

Not good, rates are around 180 Euros which is too much for the quality of the hotel. I would probably return though the location is good for my needs.

nicolas75 Jan 14, 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite (Post 11068115)
Platinum Ambassador

How is the exec. lounge?

No idea...didn't ask if I could have free access
[B]

The club access used to be given to RAs
Quite nice (no that big, but beautiful view, 2 PCs, afternoon tea, evening cocktails and canapés, good breakfast, excellent service)

nicolas75 Jan 14, 2009 7:02 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite;11069189[B
What was good and what was bad?[/B]

Bad
-If you dont have Platinum status (which gets you free lounge access) or find a discounted room rate this place will seem overpriced....

I stayed once at CP Amsterdam.
I was upgraded to a honeymoon suite. Very large (65 sqm), but quite dated.
If of course I do prefer the IC Amstel (but not the same price!), this hotel could be a true gem by its location and quality of service after a complete renovation (would be nice to have interior design like The Dylan Amsterdam)

heymrdj Jan 14, 2009 10:44 am

Holiday Inn - Naples Italy

Holiday Inn - NAPLES

Platinum

Yes.

Booked Double bed non-smoking was upgraded on check-in to an executive room

How are the rooms?
Good size - large enough with 2 double beds in the room.

How is the exec. lounge?
Not given access (was only there for 1 night - didn't check)

Good:
Free airport shuttle (runs on a set schedule though usually 1x / hour so sometimes tough to fit with your needs)
Friendly staff; helped us on coordinating a trip to Pompei the next day
Complimentary upgrade without asking
Pretty good room service food - staff was willing to make us a special vegetarian pasta upon request

Bad:
None - only there for 1 night but enjoyed our experience

Very good - booked the hotel on points (15,000) - I always think the HI are the best value for points in Europe where they are more of a hotel than in the US/Canada where they are more of a motel.

celesteadi Jan 15, 2009 12:26 am

Le Grand Intercontinental Paris

I have elite status. I booked a club room for Jan 16 and Jan 17, 2009. Today, I checked our reservation and we have been upgraded to a prestige suite. I will report on the details when I get back.

aleinvolo Jan 15, 2009 2:15 am

Originally Posted by celesteadi (Post 11079303)
I have elite status

what kind? RA ?
Love Paris!

United_Flyer3 Jan 15, 2009 7:51 am

Crowne Plaza Blanchardstown Dublin

Platinum Royal Ambassador

Yes, absolutely!

Booked a standard room, through a 3rd patry website, but received a room on the 8th floor (Priority club floor)

How are the rooms?
The hotel is only 4 months old, so all the rooms are spotless.
Very nice interiors. Bathroom only has a shower - no bath, but is spacious and nice.
Flat screen TV, minibar in room, along with free Internet access (at least in this room it was!)

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A

Good:
Service at the hotel is amazing. I arrived without my PC number on the reservation. When I asked if it could be added, the person on the desk got on the phone and asked for a room to be made ready on the 8th flloor. "not in 5 mins - now! And I mean now!" was the dialogue on the phone! Awesome!
Food in the resturant is excellent quality! Best at any CP I've stayed at.
Hotel is near to DUB airport.
Large shopping centre over the road from the hotel.
Looks like PC Plats get upgraded and get all benefits. I asked for late checkout (4pm) after breakfast, and the receptionist remembered me, addressed me by name and wrote my room number on a piece of paper and said "It's all taken care of"

Bad:
Other than the price of things in general in Dublin, there is nothing bad about this hotel.

Rates are the same, if not cheaper than the CP at the airport.
It's common knowledge here on FT that the CP at the airport is one of the best around. This hotel is one step ahead of that CP - amazing hotel!
If I need to fly from Dublin again, I'll always use this hotel.

Nosmo King Jan 15, 2009 9:00 am

HI Rock Island Illinois

Yes

Booked 3 rooms, King Leisure, for my traveling party, at the govt rate. I got a two room suite w/ lounge access (which I guess I get anyhow as a Plat.) The other two guys (no PC status) got Kings, but also got lounge access.

How are the rooms?
Nice enough, well maintained -- furniture appeared fairly new. Flat screen TV, good sized bathroom, comfortable king bed. Suite part was through the lockout door and was a double sized living room with sofa and a couple of lounging chairs, dining room-type table and a wet bar. Old fashioned wood box floor TV. Murphy bed in the wall too. Kind of large and strange ... would have been great for hosting a party or something like that. And I guess that's what it's really for!

How is the exec. lounge?
OK - open area off the elevator on floor 7 (of eight). OK beer selection, poor wine, no liquor. Some hot food in the evening, none (other than toast!) for breakfast.

Good:
Fitness center is adjoining and is apparently a commercial gym as well. Small indoor pool, excellent weight room, sauna, and OK cardio stuff.

Bad:
Not too much. Everything I expect from a HI, and not much more.

Good value for the Gov rate. Sure, if I really HAD to go to Rock Island Illinois again ... in January!

est-gratuite Jan 18, 2009 11:11 am

Holiday Inn Frankfurt City South Conference Centre

Platinum Ambassador

Not really, for reasons of service standards from the hotel bars and restaurants, the bad location of the hotel, small problems in room and the misleading room categories. (more on all this below).

Booked "superior room" (lowest category), upgraded to "executive room" which had nothing executive about it except the partial skyline view (more details below).

How are the rooms?

Standard holiday inn decor...looks a little bit tired though...

Common areas, rooms and overall hotel shape have pure 1970's architecture with high rise brutalist grey concrete on the outside, drab brown colours and loads of strange star shaped & triancular shaped, jagged edges on the inside. Plus confusing floors with 2 levels (connected by internal stairs) and 2 seperate lifts based which level of the floor you are on....14 A or 14B, 17A or 17B and so forth....

How is the exec. lounge?

No lounge as far as I could see

Good:

The price of 46 euro per night on the 2 for 1 rate was excellent...considering their website flexible rate is between 100 and 150 euro for "executive rooms".

Guy at reception was the ONLY one who was helpful and friendly...at check in he gave me 2 vouchers for a free drink at the bar and a free ice cream. I don't know if he gave me these because I was Platinum Ambassador or because I arrived at check in absolutely soaking wet out of the rain (with luggage)...or both.

2 computers with free internet access in bare bones business centre but with VERY slow connections.

Bad:

1.) The "nearest" train and metro (U-bahn) station is "Frankfurt sud" (south), but this is VERY misleadingly close if you just see it on a map or are there for the first time. Firstly you need to get out of train station at the back end on the Mörfelder Land-strasse exit. The exit for this is only reachable by passing through the exits of metro (U-bahn) section. (If you don't know this you spend 15-25 min going out of various wrong exits and up and down stairs). Then, secondly, its a a 5min walk from the CORRECT station exit at Mörfelder Land-strasse (where there are no taxis) to the corner of Darmstädter Landstraße. Thirdly, its a gruelling 20 to 25 minute walk uphill Darmstädter Landstraße to the hotel.

The thing is, as soon as you are on the corner of Darmstädter & Mörfelder steets you can see the massive hotel at the top of the hill. It looks as if it's really close, but once you start uphill walking it just never ends. There is a public bus that goes up from the corner of Darmstädter & Mörfelder but its very infrequent, doesn't run at all times of the day and you need a ticket beforehand (walk back to the train station for that one, while your once every 20 min bus passes by without you).

Taxis are at the Hedderich-strasse train station exit and obviously will have to drive you to the other part of the train tacks and up the hill so you're looking at a good 15 to 25 euro trip each time.

2.) The price difference between lowest category superior rooms and executive rooms is only about 20 euro. Once you get to your executive room you find out why...the executive room guarantees "2 softdrinks and one chocolate bar" for free. That it. My room had no bathrobe, slippers, nail file, comb, shoe polish, magazines, nicer shower gels or anything else that would seem to make it worth more than the lower category room. It just had the bare minimum required for a HI room. Perhaps it was "executive" because it had a partial skyline view.

3.) Bathtub water would not heat properly and was very slow going down the tub drain when I wanted to get rid of the lukewarm water. A sticker on the wall (which looked like it had been there a few years) warned that water temperatures in the bathroom can vary drastically and there was a danger of scalding yourself ! Shouldn't they be able to regulate this ?! Besides, my water didn't even get hot.

4.) The hotel safe had VERY complicated instructions. I didnt use it.

5.) No in-room guide to hotel services.

6.) There is NOTHING worth seeing or going to around the hotel. Its deader than dead.

7.) 23 euro breakfast

8.) 2nd floor restaurant "Le Chef" closed on Sundays...

...The first thing the waitress barked at me upon entering the groundfloor "Bierstube" pub (to get my free ice-cream) was "there is no food being served anymore now"...charming ! makes me feel really welcome and want to spend and tip loads...

...Later when I went over to "Le Chou" bar a different waitress said "we are closing in 10 minutes". How about a "good evening" or "can i help you" ???!!!:mad: I got my free cocktail but had to scoff it down so the staff could rush home....

All of the staff bar and pub staff I saw spent most of the time talking to eachother rather than serving anyone. All the bars and restaurants close at 23:00 (11pm)...no ifs, ands or buts...I just felt it gave the impression of a sad and depressing hotel, where no one enjoys working there.

46 euro a night is a good deal despite the out of the way location and problems I had...unfortunately in frankfurt the ONLY centrally located PC property is the pricey Intercontinental. So if you want to earn (or use) PC points and still be in a central frankfurt location you'll need to pay for the expensive IC.

Would you return?

It's too out of the way if you don't have a car, and there's nothing to see or do (or even go to) around the hotel, so even if I find a cheap rate I'm going to go for something more central....and if I can't get a good rate at the IC Frankfurt I'll just have to (shock, horror...gasp !:eek:) use a different hotel chain (such as starwood) when in Frankfurt.

drdanielmacdonald Jan 18, 2009 11:21 am

Crowne Plaza Birmingham, UK City Centre

Platinum Ambassador

Yep!

Booked standard (lowest category), upgraded to "club room" which had a great view (of brum!) and nice toileteries, biccies and water. Got club access- free good continental bfast and drinks in the eve (530-730)

How are the rooms?

Newly renovated- very nice and conteporary.How is the exec. lounge?

Nice- 2 PCs with printer, comfy.

Good:

The price of £25 anight (BOGOF) .

Bad:

New employee not understanding PC terms re: upgrade and struggled to find my reservation,

Yep- espe4cailly with BOGOF

Would you return?

Yep!

stanontour Jan 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Intercontinental Manila

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked junior suite on one stay upgraded to executive Suite
Booked executive suite on another stay upgraded to state suite

How are the rooms?
Can be a little noisy depending on who is in the room above. (moved rooms due to the amount of noise one night) also the plumbing in the bathroom is a little loud.
Bathrooms small and the height of the ceiling might be an issue for 6 footer when taking a shower

How is the exec. lounge?
Really good. 2 PC's to use, there is a strict dress code mid afternoon onwards (no shorts allowed)

I have stayed there a number of times as a RA and Ambassador (spent too much time at Starwood properties last two years so got downgraded to Ambassador!) and always been given upgrade.

One time I had booked Exec suite expecting the state suite was told there was a fault with the state suite, but the club lounge manager said if i accepted exec suite they would charge me the junior suite rate.

soitgoes Jan 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Crowne Plaza Minneapolis West MSP/MOA, Bloomington, MN
www.cpmsp.com

Platinum

Yes.

Booked standard room; received junior suite.
At check-in, received voucher for a F&B item from a few different choices. I chose to redeem it in the bar/lounge for a free appetizer--which entitled me to any of the food items on the bar menu. I had crabcakes, which were plenty for a light dinner (two generous crabcakes and mixed greens).
Under my door overnight, with my billing statement, I received two breakfast vouchers (valid for buffet or menu entree); they were appreciated, but it seemed like a strange time to receive them.

- How are the rooms?
Junior suite has a 'wet bar' (just a sink and a cabinet with nothing in it), microwave, minifridge, and a sofabed and two additional armchairs in addition to the standard furnishings in the regular guest rooms. All rooms have 42" LG flat panel TVs and free wired and wireless Internet access.

Rooms are in good repair; beds are comfortable; decorations are kind of plain, with limited artwork or other decoration.

None.

Good: Staff was uniformly friendly and generally competent (with the exception of one maintenance man--see below). Food was very good. Platinum recognition was excellent. TVs were nice. Pool area is pleasant, with a decent hottub and a nice workout room (new equipment with personal TVs, etc.).

Bad: Tub stopper didn't work (i.e., couldn't take a bath); maintenance staffer couldn't speak English at all (e.g., difference between toilet and tub was indicated by me by pointing); attempted fix didn't work. The hotel offered me a couple of solutions, including the wonderful idea of just giving me access to the connecting King room so I could use its bathtub; it was a simple and quite satisfactory solution, both for me and the hotel (occupancy was light). The next day, the housekeeping supervisor had a different maintenance staff member take a look at the tub and he seems to have fixed it. Location would be bad for extended stays unless you had a car; shuttle to the airport and Mall of America would be fine for one night.
No newspapers available--for free or purchase--on weekends AT ALL. This irritated me, as there are no shops nearby.
Housekeeping was somewhat spotty; the housekeeping manager is on leave, so that may explain some of that.

Paid $72+tax at AAA rate. Good value. Would return.

lemieux66 Jan 20, 2009 2:32 pm

HI Stuttgart

Platinum RA

-Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes.

Booked standard room; received Executive room.
Upgrade was already arranged uppon my arrival.

- How are the rooms?
Very spacious corner-room, good refurbished and in perfect condition.
Complementary bottle of water and fruit plus free magazines. Modern flatscreen TV. All in all very nice.

None.

Good: Very friendly staff. Nice upgrade.
Bad: Hotel is located about 15min. from Stuttgart city-centre.

As always pretty high room rate, not matching the offered standard. I paid 110 EUR, flexible rate without breakfast. As a PC point addict I will return though :D

nicolas75 Jan 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by lemieux66 (Post 11111200)
HI Stuttgart

I only stayed once at this hotel, some years ago, and did not have a good impression.

The hotel was out of town (I cannot really say out of action, as I am not quite sure that there is any action in Stuttgart). It was snowing and it was quite challenging to find my way from the airport

In the morning, the reception has forgotten to wake me up, so I came late at my business appointment. No apologies: "Just, but Mr nicolas75, we went into your room to wake you up :rolleyes::rolleyes: and did not wake up!)

I moved to the IC (now Le Méridien), which was not exactly great either (even if better and more centrally located)

Chinatrvl Jan 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75 (Post 11111413)
I only stayed once at this hotel, some years ago, and did not have a good impression.

One of my frequently visited and favorite hotels. Almost 100 % upgrades, very friendly staff.
It's in a business park, out of town, but very convenient if your client is around the corner... I wouldn't book that for a "sightseeing" or airport stay though.

TheBeerHunter Jan 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Holiday Inn Chateau LeMoyne (French Quarter, New Orleans LA)

Yes

Booked a standard king room, and that's what I got. We were located on the top floor back in a corner, not on the street -- perhaps this was the "upgraded" part of the experience ;)

- How are the rooms?

Room was OK; a little tired looking. Large closet. Aircon a bit noisy, but mitigated somewhat by leaving the fan on constantly.

n/a

Good:
- Location can't be beat if you want to be near "the action": on Dauphine in the French Quarter -- one block from Bourbon but relatively quiet considering.
- Staff was very friendly
- on-site bar was decent
- free wifi

Bad:
- stingy with the bath toiletries (only body lotion and shampoo on offer) but really, nothing major to note

- OK value. Can usually find cheaper properties in the FQ than this at this time of year though, so shop around. Would likely book at the IC again if staying at ICH property, though.

sultanbinaber Jan 21, 2009 5:09 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite (Post 11097983)
Booked "superior room" (lowest category), upgraded to "executive room" which had nothing executive about it except the partial skyline view (more details below).

Made exactly the same experience (just without free ice-cream as I am only gold ;) ). A few days after my stay I e-mailed the GM and stated that I was very unhappy with service & room. He mailed back, telling me that I did not stay in an executive room (what was told me while check-in). Very strange... :rolleyes:

TheAlien Jan 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Hotel Indigo LONDON-PADDINGTON

Hotel Indigo LONDON-PADDINGTON

Platinum Ambassador

Yes

Booked a standard double on points and on checking in I asked for an upgrade and was told I was in the best room they had. In fact it turned out to be the one used on the web site for room pictures.

How are the rooms?
Very good. Quite chic and comfortable. Good sized bed and plenty of space in the room around the desk and seating area. The bathroom looks a bit small though but I have not yet had chance to try it out.

How is the exec. lounge?
Do'n't think there is one.

Good: Staff are very friendly and helpful. And everything else just seems to be good.

Bad: The location is good for communications into the rest of London (and Heathrow via the HEX) since it is 3 minutes walk from Paddington station However generally the area around teh hotel is a bit what could be called "grim tourist". There are a lot of low quality resturants and pubs but they tend to be well over priced, even for London. The in hotel cafe/bar also seems to be charging VAT 17.5% when it has been reduced to 15% temporarily.

Excellent. I would return.