Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Priority Card Select Visa benefit: Platinum Status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
What I really want to know is that Platinum phone number.....does that mean we get someone from like - somewhere in America that we can understand, who isn't reading from a script? Or do I still get the martian from outer space?...
Nope, you'll still get someone saying meester or meesus (insert your first name). You can always request a supervisor which may get you someone from a slightly closer planet.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Email arrived this AM confirming Platinum Status as long as I hold the card, awesome.
I got email and mail too. Per other's comments, no mention of 10% back but I doubt they'd take that away.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
My experence as a platinum for over a year is one in 7 upgrades on our 20 or so nights. With this new "give it away" program, I do not expect to ever be upgraded again. One stay, my brother was upgraded (not even a member of PC, at a rate less than I paid, and I was not!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Nope, you'll still get someone saying meester or meesus (insert your first name). You can always request a supervisor which may get you someone from a slightly closer planet.
I'll take the platinum. But if I still get a martian, then this new phone number is a cruel joke, indeed.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
I notice that omission as well. The 10% rebate is automatic, posted the following month after your reward stay and can amount to large sum if you use a lot of points. Last year we had a total of 20K rebate from 2 accounts. So that benefit is very meaningful to us. Frankly if not for the boatload of points we still have we may not necessarily keep the card for the $49 fee despite the annual free night cert.

I sure hope the 10% rebate would not go away in lieu of the Plat status which really does not account for much.
The rebate is one of the strongest benefits of the card. I earned ~40k points from Q1 award bookings.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranles
My experence as a platinum for over a year is one in 7 upgrades on our 20 or so nights. With this new "give it away" program, I do not expect to ever be upgraded again. One stay, my brother was upgraded (not even a member of PC, at a rate less than I paid, and I was not!
If you pick the places that you stay without researching whether they give Plat benefits, that's probably typical results.

However, I've found that by researching ahead of time, in a place where there are multiple properties to choose from, I can greatly increase my chances of getting, for example, Holiday Inns that give free breakfast to Plats (but not to everyone).

On stays in the average hotel, I personally don't care as much whether I get upgraded or not, as to whether I get for free, due to elite status, what "random" guests have to pay extra for.

Having said that, I do tend to avoid Priority Club for "aspirational" stays, though, because it's very unlikely that I'll get as much out of those as with a hotel program where I get elite benefits on every stay.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Ir would be really interesting to know what % of guests at PC properties are Plat, compared to Marriott or Hilton.

I travel mostly in the US and mostly stay at limited-service properties. I don't think I've ever had a situation at a Marriott (Fairfield, Towneplace, etc.) where a hotel associate was "excited" or "impressed" to have a Platinum-level guest staying. In fact, I know (on a personal level) the GMs of at least two Marriott family properties who tell me that Plats are plentiful at their properties and, while keeping them happy is very important, their presence in the hotel is not a big deal.

Whereas I can remember many times at HI or HIX properties that an associate has seemed genuinely surprised to see a Plat and was quite willing to "go the extra mile", as they say. And thus upgrades, free breakfast, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Ir would be really interesting to know what % of guests at PC properties are Plat, compared to Marriott or Hilton.

I travel mostly in the US and mostly stay at limited-service properties. I don't think I've ever had a situation at a Marriott (Fairfield, Towneplace, etc.) where a hotel associate was "excited" or "impressed" to have a Platinum-level guest staying. In fact, I know (on a personal level) the GMs of at least two Marriott family properties who tell me that Plats are plentiful at their properties and, while keeping them happy is very important, their presence in the hotel is not a big deal.

Whereas I can remember many times at HI or HIX properties that an associate has seemed genuinely surprised to see a Plat and was quite willing to "go the extra mile", as they say. And thus upgrades, free breakfast, etc.
Good question. What I would say though is that it blows me away how few people are plats, or even golds for that matter.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

I think it's hard to compare, because IHG has to separate types of elite programs, while Mairrott only has one.

IHG has Priority Club which goes up to Plat but does nothing at ICs. Then they have Ambassador levels which give perks at ICs, and have PC status as a sideshow.

I assume a lot of the people who are staying at IHG hotels who get status have Ambassador and stay more at ICs, perhaps falling back more to Crowne Plazas. So it may be that HI and HIX properties see fewer Plats than some other brands.

But at Marriott, I see a bit of the same thing. Fairfields tend to more suprised to see me as Gold (mid-level) than, say, a Marriott Suites (where they have tons of breakfast vouchers ready for their Golds and above).

So unless you saty a lot at (different locations of) every brand in Marriott family hotels and (different locatikons of )every brand in IHG hotels, you may be seeing "blind men and the elephant" kinds of effects at least in part.

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So unless you saty a lot at (different locations of) every brand in Marriot family hotels and (different locatikons of )every brand in IHG hotels, you may be seeing "blind men and the elephant" kinds of effects at least in part.
Please inform my clients of the research plan - that they should be expecting receipts from Intercontinentals and JW's for a few months. I am a willing participant in your proposed study if you can convince them.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:28 pm

Was surprised to see this e-mail today as well:

As a valued Priority Club® member, we are pleased to offer you the Priority Club Select Visa® card which will get you closer to your next vacation getaway.

Earn Points Faster:
• 60,000 bonus points after your first use1
• 5 points per $1 spent at our hotels2
• 2 points per $1 spent at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants2
• 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases2

Enjoy More Benefits:
• Free Night e-certificate every year, good at any of our 4,400+ hotels worldwide3
• Platinum Elite statusfor the life of the card4
• 10% points rebate—earn points for using points5
• No foreign transaction fees6
• No annual fee the first year—a $49 value

I am a VERY basic member. I think I have 1000 points in my account from various stays last year and was trying to determine if this is a good deal. But looks like with the points and the 1 night, it's worth a few free nights.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:03 am
Suspended

If a basic member is being offered Platinum status for the life of the card, then it is likely that they will be introducing a new membership level above Platinum.

As can be seen from the above offering the 10% rebate remains intact from this and other sources -- the newest video they have out.

The positive thing about a potential higher elite level is that they may try to standardize offerings at the various hotels if one obtains that level and the fact that they are eliminating transfers into PC from AMEX could speak to this -- although Diners Club transfers appear to survive this cut off.

Still, the value of the card is self-evident and the lighter bonus points offerings for hotel stays may be offset by Platinum status that the cardholders get which offers a 50% bonus hotel stays.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I got this reward offer in email yesterday and am curious but probably not enough to make the jump from HH. Can you transfer Priority Points to airlines? If so that may be a reason to take the offer.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zornoff
I got this reward offer in email yesterday and am curious but probably not enough to make the jump from HH. Can you transfer Priority Points to airlines? If so that may be a reason to take the offer.
Why "jump"? Why not save the points (other than the 1 free night cert per year) until you go someplace where either the Priority Club property is way cheaper on points (they're sometimes as low as 5K/night with PointBreaks, please show me that in HH!), or, even more importnat, where there's a Priority Club property where you want to go but no HHonors property! (Yes, there are places in the world like that. For example, within just a few miles of Stonehenge there's a Holiday Inn, but no Hilton HHonors property except way back in London, but if you want to go see Stonehenge at daybreak, you may not want to commute all the way to/from London. And, btw, IMHO Stonehenge is only worth seeing late or early in the day, during the middle of day it looks comparatively very drab. And I'm sure there are even better examples of whole countries with Prioriity Club properties but no Hilton HHonors properties, I just can't think of one off the top of my head. But I do know there's tons of countries where Hilton is only in the middle of the biggest city, but Priority Club has properties in other cities or in the suburbs.)
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Good point SdSearch. I've gotten 4 cards in the past 4 months, 2 of which were Visa Signatures. It may be too soon to apply for another but I may give it a shot. 99% of my travel is company-paid so I usually look for HH because of the double-dip bonus on my Skymiles. I did find that 60K PC points would convert to 12K Skymiles so that alone makes it worth it IMHO as I'm trying to stock up on Skymiles for our summer vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.