FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   New Priority Card Select Visa benefit: Platinum Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1326946-new-priority-card-select-visa-benefit-platinum-status.html)

wcj1 Mar 20, 2012 11:08 am

New Priority Card Select Visa benefit: Platinum Status

I received a card in the mail this morning (which I left at home, so I cannot quote the exact text) from Priority Club. It was one of those bi-fold cardstock mailers. On the outside it said that they were announcing a new benefit.

I opened it up and the inside detailed all the benefits, so it took me awhile to figure out what is new, but then I read at the top, 'As long as you keep this card, you will maintain Platinum Elite status.'

So apparently they are upping the Gold status that permanently came with the card to Platinum. I do not see this listed on any of the websites yet.

Has anyone else received this yet?

javacodeguy Mar 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Wow, is this for real? If so, that's just crazy. Not that PC Plat will get you much, but if this is true then it will just devalue it even more.

At least it takes me three or four IC stays to requalify platinum, but now I can just get some credit card. If platinum becomes even easier to get though, maybe they are thinking about creating a diamond level at 150k points or something actually challenging to get.

I'll keep my eyes out for this in my mailbox.

wcj1 Mar 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Ok, looking at the mailer again.

On the outside above my address it says:
"Enjoy the lasting benefit of platinum elite status"

And on the inside:
"As a valued cardmember, you can enjoy Platinum Elite Status right away and keep it as long as you keep the card."

And then it goes on to list the Plat benefits.

benzemalyonnais Mar 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Looks like requalifying just got easier....

Seriously though, this definitely means a new top tier is coming if they indeed meant to print this

kleinms Mar 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Chase Visa Platinum Status

Just when you thought platinum at PC was close to meaningless they dropped it to worthless status. Having said that, they still are the best point earning program for free nights and continue to make it easier to get free nights.

mnredfox Mar 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Agree it devalues PC Plat once again, then again I don't know anyone outside of FT that has this card AND, HH Surpass gets you gold and I still think PC plat is on par with HH Gold.

jumpdogjump Mar 21, 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox (Post 18242255)
Agree it devalues PC Plat once again, then again I don't know anyone outside of FT that has this card AND, HH Surpass gets you gold and I still think PC plat is on par with HH Gold.

...unless you eat breakfast and stay at a full service HI or IC...

alrvd83 Mar 21, 2012 5:47 pm

I just got a card in the mail today detailing this as well. I acheived Platinum already this yr legitimately, but now that by having the card I can get Platinum...well thats awesome lol. PC just keeps making it easier and easier :D

With Platinum...I have been getting nice upgrades at all hotels I stay at.

GetawaysRus Mar 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Plat status for the credit card? IF they can get it straight.

My wife has one of these cards. She qualified for Plat status last year, mainly from the points from card sign up. This year she didn't requalify. So I expected a downgrade to Gold status. But she just received a letter last week notifying her that she did not qualify for Plat again, so now they say she is Club status.

Priority Club has a bit of trouble getting things right...

I'll have to call them...

windcloud5 Mar 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by wcj1 (Post 18237485)
I received a card in the mail this morning (which I left at home, so I cannot quote the exact text) from Priority Club. It was one of those bi-fold cardstock mailers. On the outside it said that they were announcing a new benefit.

I opened it up and the inside detailed all the benefits, so it took me awhile to figure out what is new, but then I read at the top, 'As long as you keep this card, you will maintain Platinum Elite status.'

So apparently they are upping the Gold status that permanently came with the card to Platinum. I do not see this listed on any of the websites yet.

Has anyone else received this yet?

Yup, I just received the same thing today. If there is one hotel card you need to keep, this is it. $49 for one night anywhere, plat status and periodic upgrades.

PWMFlyer19 Mar 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by windcloud5 (Post 18248311)
If there is one hotel card you need to keep, this is it. $49 for one night anywhere, plat status and periodic upgrades.

The plat status is nice just for the bonus points on stays. I booked my free night today at the IC Boston. Cheapest room was $449 for the day I needed (though usually it is much cheaper). Big savings...

slocouple Mar 22, 2012 5:41 am

Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19 (Post 18248562)
The plat status is nice just for the bonus points on stays. I booked my free night today at the IC Boston. Cheapest room was $449 for the day I needed (though usually it is much cheaper). Big savings...

IC Strings in Tokyo was our free night choice. WELL worth the annual fee!

christianj Mar 22, 2012 7:11 am

Am I the only one that thinks we wil be seeing an increase in the yearly fee on this card with the new Platinum status? Or worse yet a drop of the yearly free room?

I know PC and Chase have been doing research on various ways to tweek the card in the past. I was part of a PC Chase Visa online forum last year and they frequently put out questionnaires on how to tweek the card offerings, earning potential, etc.

Wow....I'm such a pessimist but I just don't believe this will be the last thing we hear on this card.

alrvd83 Mar 22, 2012 7:39 am

Originally Posted by windcloud5 (Post 18248311)
Yup, I just received the same thing today. If there is one hotel card you need to keep, this is it. $49 for one night anywhere, plat status and periodic upgrades.

You could not have put it in more simple terms ^

Here's a question to everyone, when the anniversary date comes, how will I receive my free 1 night stay? via mail/email etc?

christianj Mar 22, 2012 8:18 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83 (Post 18250477)
Here's a question to everyone, when the anniversary date comes, how will I receive my free 1 night stay? via mail/email etc?

You will receive an email prior to the date telling you that your getting close to the receiving your annual free night and then you will get an email later with the actual free night details.