New Priority Card Select Visa benefit: Platinum Status

Old Mar 20, 12, 11:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pasadena, CA, USA
Posts: 2,292
New Priority Card Select Visa benefit: Platinum Status

I received a card in the mail this morning (which I left at home, so I cannot quote the exact text) from Priority Club. It was one of those bi-fold cardstock mailers. On the outside it said that they were announcing a new benefit.

I opened it up and the inside detailed all the benefits, so it took me awhile to figure out what is new, but then I read at the top, 'As long as you keep this card, you will maintain Platinum Elite status.'

So apparently they are upping the Gold status that permanently came with the card to Platinum. I do not see this listed on any of the websites yet.

Has anyone else received this yet?
wcj1 is offline  
Old Mar 20, 12, 2:29 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PHL
Posts: 340
Wow, is this for real? If so, that's just crazy. Not that PC Plat will get you much, but if this is true then it will just devalue it even more.

At least it takes me three or four IC stays to requalify platinum, but now I can just get some credit card. If platinum becomes even easier to get though, maybe they are thinking about creating a diamond level at 150k points or something actually challenging to get.

I'll keep my eyes out for this in my mailbox.
javacodeguy is offline  
Old Mar 20, 12, 5:05 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pasadena, CA, USA
Posts: 2,292
Ok, looking at the mailer again.

On the outside above my address it says:
"Enjoy the lasting benefit of platinum elite status"

And on the inside:
"As a valued cardmember, you can enjoy Platinum Elite Status right away and keep it as long as you keep the card."

And then it goes on to list the Plat benefits.
wcj1 is offline  
Old Mar 20, 12, 5:29 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOS/PVD, LIM, PTY
Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Posts: 2,695
Looks like requalifying just got easier....

Seriously though, this definitely means a new top tier is coming if they indeed meant to print this
benzemalyonnais is offline  
Old Mar 20, 12, 7:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
Posts: 146
Exclamation Chase Visa Platinum Status

Just when you thought platinum at PC was close to meaningless they dropped it to worthless status. Having said that, they still are the best point earning program for free nights and continue to make it easier to get free nights.
kleinms is offline  
Old Mar 20, 12, 11:58 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,334
Agree it devalues PC Plat once again, then again I don't know anyone outside of FT that has this card AND, HH Surpass gets you gold and I still think PC plat is on par with HH Gold.
mnredfox is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 2:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: FAT
Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Posts: 1,694
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Agree it devalues PC Plat once again, then again I don't know anyone outside of FT that has this card AND, HH Surpass gets you gold and I still think PC plat is on par with HH Gold.
...unless you eat breakfast and stay at a full service HI or IC...
jumpdogjump is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 5:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: L.A.
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,134
I just got a card in the mail today detailing this as well. I acheived Platinum already this yr legitimately, but now that by having the card I can get Platinum...well thats awesome lol. PC just keeps making it easier and easier

With Platinum...I have been getting nice upgrades at all hotels I stay at.
alrvd83 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 5:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: S Cal
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 1,129
Plat status for the credit card? IF they can get it straight.

My wife has one of these cards. She qualified for Plat status last year, mainly from the points from card sign up. This year she didn't requalify. So I expected a downgrade to Gold status. But she just received a letter last week notifying her that she did not qualify for Plat again, so now they say she is Club status.

Priority Club has a bit of trouble getting things right...

I'll have to call them...
GetawaysRus is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 8:01 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by wcj1 View Post
I received a card in the mail this morning (which I left at home, so I cannot quote the exact text) from Priority Club. It was one of those bi-fold cardstock mailers. On the outside it said that they were announcing a new benefit.

I opened it up and the inside detailed all the benefits, so it took me awhile to figure out what is new, but then I read at the top, 'As long as you keep this card, you will maintain Platinum Elite status.'

So apparently they are upping the Gold status that permanently came with the card to Platinum. I do not see this listed on any of the websites yet.

Has anyone else received this yet?
Yup, I just received the same thing today. If there is one hotel card you need to keep, this is it. $49 for one night anywhere, plat status and periodic upgrades.
windcloud5 is offline  
Old Mar 21, 12, 8:48 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PWM, BOS
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Posts: 850
Originally Posted by windcloud5 View Post
If there is one hotel card you need to keep, this is it. $49 for one night anywhere, plat status and periodic upgrades.
The plat status is nice just for the bonus points on stays. I booked my free night today at the IC Boston. Cheapest room was $449 for the day I needed (though usually it is much cheaper). Big savings...
PWMFlyer19 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 5:41 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 1,242
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19 View Post
The plat status is nice just for the bonus points on stays. I booked my free night today at the IC Boston. Cheapest room was $449 for the day I needed (though usually it is much cheaper). Big savings...
IC Strings in Tokyo was our free night choice. WELL worth the annual fee!
slocouple is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:11 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 4,526
Am I the only one that thinks we wil be seeing an increase in the yearly fee on this card with the new Platinum status? Or worse yet a drop of the yearly free room?

I know PC and Chase have been doing research on various ways to tweek the card in the past. I was part of a PC Chase Visa online forum last year and they frequently put out questionnaires on how to tweek the card offerings, earning potential, etc.

Wow....I'm such a pessimist but I just don't believe this will be the last thing we hear on this card.
christianj is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 7:39 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: L.A.
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,134
Originally Posted by windcloud5 View Post
Yup, I just received the same thing today. If there is one hotel card you need to keep, this is it. $49 for one night anywhere, plat status and periodic upgrades.
You could not have put it in more simple terms ^

Here's a question to everyone, when the anniversary date comes, how will I receive my free 1 night stay? via mail/email etc?
alrvd83 is offline  
Old Mar 22, 12, 8:18 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 4,526
Originally Posted by alrvd83 View Post
Here's a question to everyone, when the anniversary date comes, how will I receive my free 1 night stay? via mail/email etc?
You will receive an email prior to the date telling you that your getting close to the receiving your annual free night and then you will get an email later with the actual free night details.
christianj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread