Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Freeroomguy
It's a business, a hobby and provides a service. Those who hate these types of (BRG) blogs are entitled to their opinion. Don't visit the blogs if you don't like them. Deals do not belong to any one single person. So who's being selfish? The bloggers you say? Sharing info isn't being selfish.
+1

This is a free world. He can post whatever he feels like on his blog (I don't particularly like it since I thought it was more useful than it really is ). What I don't like is if he posts a post like - 'visit my blog for more info about BRG' in a thread such as 'successful Marriott BRGs'. It's for posting BRG successes instead of advertising about a blog.

It's ok to put this in his signature, but making it as a post in a not totally relevant thread I think it's a bit much.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:14 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to post BRG's in the Hotel Deals thread... it's only drawing attention to the BRG system and soon enough it will spread to other places. It will only take a few more "Free Night! New York City" threads and the game will be up. If IHG are getting 10, 20, 30 claims per post like this, they will have to change the terms or withdraw the program.

You can already see that other flyertalkers are now posting their found BRG's in the Hotel Deals thread too. I have enjoyed the IHG BRG program but I don't think it will last much longer.

traveldealexpert is not "sharing" with the community but using the exposure for personal gain in the form of affiliate links on his blog. Sharing with the community is enjoying the benefits yourself through your own hard work and skill, and giving others quiet and subtle hints and PM's. This is not a credit card program that comes and goes and bonuses change, or a temporary error on one hotel site. Once it's gone, it's gone for ALL hotels.

I would advise anyone with upcoming travel plans to review your opportunities now as the BRG will be gone before you know it.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by JaniceS
I don't think it's a good idea to post BRG's in the Hotel Deals thread... it's only drawing attention to the BRG system and soon enough it will spread to other places. It will only take a few more "Free Night! New York City" threads and the game will be up. If IHG are getting 10, 20, 30 claims per post like this, they will have to change the terms or withdraw the program.

You can already see that other flyertalkers are now posting their found BRG's in the Hotel Deals thread too. I have enjoyed the IHG BRG program but I don't think it will last much longer.

traveldealexpert is not "sharing" with the community but using the exposure for personal gain in the form of affiliate links on his blog. Sharing with the community is enjoying the benefits yourself through your own hard work and skill, and giving others quiet and subtle hints and PM's. This is not a credit card program that comes and goes and bonuses change, or a temporary error on one hotel site. Once it's gone, it's gone for ALL hotels.

I would advise anyone with upcoming travel plans to review your opportunities now as the BRG will be gone before you know it.
Contrary to popular belief, affiliate links on blogs are not really money makers. In the month of March, my little blog has received $4.66 from Commission Junction. HotelsCombined is slightly more generous with commissions and pays about a dollar per day.

Finding best rate guarantee claims does take a lot of time and effort. The affiliate links located on my website are so that readers can support the blog.

I know of another blogger that posts best rate guarantee claims. His site has been up for many years...and the best rate guarantee programs are as lucrative as ever .
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by traveldealexpert
Contrary to popular belief, affiliate links on blogs are not really money makers. In the month of March, my little blog has received $4.66 from Commission Junction. HotelsCombined is slightly more generous with commissions and pays about a dollar per day.

Finding best rate guarantee claims does take a lot of time and effort. The affiliate links located on my website are so that readers can support the blog.

I know of another blogger that posts best rate guarantee claims. His site has been up for many years...and the best rate guarantee programs are as lucrative as ever .
No need to copy and paste, I am not blind.

It's your call if you want to take part in the community or to exploit the BRG to get people to your blog. If you're only getting $4.66 why bother in the first place. But with hundreds of comments on DansDeals and MilePoint thanks to your posts, the BRG will not last.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by traveldealexpert
I know of another blogger that posts best rate guarantee claims. His site has been up for many years...
I've seen that site before [came up in some choicehotels BRG research], but don't remember him cross-posting each of his posts on FT [forum with large readership]...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by JaniceS

You have to ask yourself: Why do these hotel chains decide to offer a free night BRG in the first place when they could just give 10 or 25% off? (in addition to matching the lower rate)

Could it be that it drives traffic to their site and the publicity of the BRG helps do this? Over the past few years, many hotel chains have jumped on the "free night" bandwagon. They understand the risks, don't they? Regardless, they still go ahead and offer the free night deal. If an abundance of claims wreaks havoc with them, isn't this something that these folks would've forseen?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by jms_uk
I've seen that site before [came up in some choicehotels BRG research], but don't remember him cross-posting each of his posts on FT [forum with large readership]...
If you actually read this thread.... I previously posted that I will refrain from posting best rate guarantee claims in the hotel deals forum.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
You have to ask yourself: Why do these hotel chains decide to offer a free night BRG in the first place when they could just give 10 or 25% off? (in addition to matching the lower rate)
You clearly have no idea how the system works.

IHG is a corporate body. 99% of hotels in the IHG brands are not owned by IHG. They pay IHG to be part of the holiday inn/crowne plaza etc brand. That then gets them listed on the IHG website, and IHG take a cut of every booking placed via their website. Part of the condition of the contract is that the hotels MUST not provide other websites with cheaper prices than what are on the IHG website, allowing IHG to promote their site as having the cheapest prices. IHG has lately come up with the BRG program, to ensure that hotels abide by the guarantee. It is IHG's promise, but the hotel pays the price. So that is why you will see many websites have slightly different room descriptions, or different cancellation terms, no breakfast, ANYTHING that allows them to provide some rooms cheaper on 3rd party sites without them possibly contravening the agreement with IHG. it is impossible for IHG to police all 4300 odd hotels versus the 100s of 3rd party websites, so they get their customers to act to police it,rewarding the customers, and penalising the hotels.

Got it now ?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
I see you have started multiple "FREE NIGHT....BLAH BLAH" postings over on the
hotel deals forums:-

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...es-square.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...-opryland.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...im-resort.html

Nothing wrong with trying to drive hits to your blog, but I feel exposing exact BRG details including hotels,competing websites and dates in public forum and on your blog is just about the best way I know to get the BRG totally revoked. The top one alone has 6 replies on the first page indicating they had BRG-ed the hotel, don't know how many did so on the other 5 pages of of the thread. 20-30 BRG hits on one hotel over a day or two sounds like a pretty good way to raise an alert that someone is "flash-mobbing" the BRG, for want of a better phrase.
No sense of having a blog and NOT giving details about how and where to find the lower rate! My BRG-deals blog does just that - and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
A few more successes...

IC Buenos Aires next month (2 nights over a week stay in the city, one in a club room)

CP FLL Airport next month

Staybridge Suites DEN airport next month

HIX SFO North next month

HIX JFK airport in May

HI MIA airport next month

The BRG is still alive and well, however I have noticed it has become a bit more difficult. Hotels seem to be abiding by IHG's rules more and more. Unfortunate
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Hey everybody,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to do a BRG on Hong Kong or Tokyo recently, would love a PM with some sites =) I saw a few posters but they were 2 years + ago

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I am wondering if this fits into the BRG criteria?

About $7 cheaper from the Third Party website after using IHG's own currency exchange provided on their site.

Four nights in Thailand
Same room
Same dates
Same number of beds

But the Third Party even offers Free Breakfast, would that and currency exchange kill the deal?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:42 am

First of all, the billing currency of the third party must be THB (same as the billing currency of the hotel)

Originally Posted by coolfish1103

About $7 cheaper from the Third Party website after using IHG's own currency exchange provided on their site.

Four nights in Thailand
Same room
Same dates
Same number of beds

But the Third Party even offers Free Breakfast, would that and currency exchange kill the deal?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:32 am

The billing currency of the competing website must be the same as the hotel's billing currency.

Originally Posted by coolfish1103

Four nights in Thailand
Same room
Same dates
Same number of beds

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:36 am

Could it be that it drives traffic to their site and the publicity of the BRG helps do this? Over the past few years, many hotel chains have jumped on the "free night" bandwagon. They understand the risks, don't they? Regardless, they still go ahead and offer the free night deal. If an abundance of claims wreaks havoc with them, isn't this something that these folks would've forseen?
They understand the risks but not until they find out that somebody posted the BRG possibility at HIE NY Times Square on Flyertalk 'Hotel Deal':-:a total of 7pages longI wonder how many rooms have been claimed in total thanks to his post and how long more it takes until the IHG decided to stop this

CT^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.