Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:37 am

well spent most of the afternoon searching for the cloud photo - can't find anything that looks the same sort of cloud.

looked for clouds, hot springs steam / geyser steam / rainforest steam and other combinations and the areas mentioned so far.

I am going to stamp my feet if someone finds the photo just like that - mind you if it helps with the location maybe I won't stamp too hard. And it is my first introduction to photo identification and shutterstock.

I'll probably go with Arenal Volcano , Costa Rica and hope for a great clue tomorrow.

thanks for all the help in getting this far.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by mojito25
I don't think the clue means the vulcano. Why should a vulcano only be day or night active, so you dont have to pick this out. If it's active then it's active the whole time untill it stops to beeing active. A vulcano doesn't sleep at special times a day.

I think this means: a) An animal or b) Somebody, Anybody
cartman hit a 3-toed sloth with a stick when they went on the hippie trip to costa rica
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Under Firefox 2 or Firefox 3.5 or IE, with Flash 9, I only see a blank black screen at this site. Is there an easy way to get this web site to work? Maybe they want Flash 10, but competently written sites that want a newer version will check for it and tell you.

(I haven't read all 106 pages of this thread, so I may have missed it. And, yes, I'm just curious, as non-US members aren't allowed to do this one anyhow.)
I use Flash 10 and its open to US, Canadian and US PC mebers
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Under Firefox 2 or Firefox 3.5 or IE, with Flash 9, I only see a blank black screen at this site. Is there an easy way to get this web site to work? Maybe they want Flash 10, but competently written sites that want a newer version will check for it and tell you.

(I haven't read all 106 pages of this thread, so I may have missed it. And, yes, I'm just curious, as non-US members aren't allowed to do this one anyhow.)
Well I'm in Scotland and enjoying racking up the extra Points
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by DrG
All I see in the activescript is day1_fla, but that could just be my decompiler.

Here are the images extracted...

Looking at these images, the ones in the middle seem to be superimposed, which may be why we aren't finding a match on Shutterstock. It looks like the clouds might be obscuring a more pointed volcano. Likewise, the clouds in the composite picture could be obscuring something like San Jose, which is in close proximity to Turrialba and, as others have mentioned, may have a vibrant night life. Also, Wikipedia reports the following relevant info about Turrialba: "Below the summit is a mountain range and cloud forest, with ferns, bromeliads, lichens and mosses. During the 19th century, it explosively erupted several times (1847?, 1853, 1855, 1861?, 1864–1865, 1866), producing pyroclastic flows. The last major eruption was in 1866, but in January 2001, the volcano reported increased activity, displaying strong fumaroles at the central craters. The volcanic activities have increased since 2005. In January 2010, the volcano emitted ash, and two villages, La Central and El Retiro, were evacuated."

I know last week's composite had numerous Mabul images, so maybe we shouldn't be so focused on a single volcano. This is a stretch, but there is a Central Volcanic Cordillera Conservation Area referenced in Wikipedia which encompasses Irazú, Poás and Turrialba.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:00 am

The rules say it is open to UK members - although I haven't got any point yet as I only found the comp last week.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:02 am

Kremmen-
I had the same problem initially. When I upgraded my Flash, all was well.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: AAPlatinum, UA
Originally Posted by murphyUA
Amazing! ^
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AA MM Gold, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Is it just me, or is there a second mountain/volcano mostly hidden in the clouds in the center left portion of the picture?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
I chose 'ARENAL VOLCANO, COSTA RICA'
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:33 am

2 Peaks

Originally Posted by WolfManDoug
Is it just me, or is there a second mountain/volcano mostly hidden in the clouds in the center left portion of the picture?
I thought so, also. This Shutterstock picture's angle shows 2 peaks on Arenal.
Image ID:215797
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
So far the first clue in every week pointed directly to the location. Two weeks ago it was something that flows and it was a river. Last week it was a site. This week it is something that is active day and night. I doubt this is a park.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
I found one more picture - this is where the green stuff came from. Annotation to the photo says "Detail of the Irazu Volcano Crater". Here's the pic (look at the bottom):

I'm with those who believe that the answer should be Irazu Volcano, Costa Rica

Last edited by foxberg; Oct 5, 2010 at 11:49 am
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
I think I found the cloud image (sorry Shezzy!):

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-3816...sh-layers.html

Look at the "indention" in the cloud right under the dark C part of the Shutterstock logo. It matches the indention reversed just below the left end of the visible volcano in the PC picture.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: PC Plt Amb, HH, Airtran/US Air Elite
Smile

Originally Posted by Aisle Seat H
What are you sighing for?!? I have read every post, I have looked at every picture, and I am one of those thinks it is more likely to be Arenal than Turrialba.

The clue is 'Active both night and day', which Arenal is and Turrialba isn't.

I may be wrong, but for now there is insufficient info to know for sure so to suggest that we have the answer 100% for sure, and that the debate is over is just silly.

Don't forget that last week everyone was sure on day one that it was one of the castles in a particular part of Japan, and that turned out to be 100% wrong!
Hey now, not all of us thought it was Japan, although I thought it was Palau rather than Malaysia/Bornio - it's good to have a collective of hundreds of brains working on this. Good point on none of us being able to be 100% sure - we won't know that until they post the answer and our points.
I'm going with Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica today, we'll see what tomorrow brings. Continuing to enjoy the hunt....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.