Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:39 pm

Question Cook Islands

I have found numerous photos that come real close to matching the ocean landscape to include the same type of clouds and coral reefs, it the land that does not fit yet.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by GOnefortyfour
Boy this is tough. I have spent far too long reading through the thread and poking around online. Based on the code, I am going to assume it is in Japan. Based on what others have said about Japan's geography, I am going to assume Okinawa. There is an IHG hotel resort at Kunigami on Okinawa, and there are several golf courses nearby, and Manza Cape has interesting rock formations, and the pictures of Manza Beach and the cape look similar in clouds, rocks and water to the photo (of course, so many things do). I'm just not sure what to put as the specific place. I think I'm going to go with "Kunigami, Okinawa, Japan" today, even though it is probably not specific enough, since they do seem to like a park, resort, or forest. Of course, this discounts the whole reality tv clue, but I agree with those that think that has to be taken expansively.
Yes, I see what you mean. The clouds in Japan do look different then ours.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:42 pm

Okinawa

Hoshizuna beach
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:44 pm
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by foxberg
This is Japan... This is Japan... This is Japan...
Repeat...
Haha! +1

I may go with Cape Manzamo, Kunigami, Okinawa, Japan - unless new info is unveiled. There is an Intercontinental resort there but can not verify today's clue to there.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Amb,Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Silver
Repeat...
^
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
could those shadows be from stone statues like ones on Easter Island?
Keep in mind the picture has been cropped and mirrored. I think there are only 3 real shadows in there.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: IHG Amb,Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Silver
Repeat...
foxberg so what will be you today's gues .
I will rely on you.Will Okinawa ,Japan be enough specific?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:50 pm

Repeat...
I want to believe that too. If I could only find a good reference to reality shows filmed in an area that looks like the picture, then I would be all set.

I found pics of Miyakojima that "look right", but nothing on reality shows there...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:58 pm

I give up

I've wasted too many hours today.. I'm just going with Okinawa, Japan. This picture kept hanging me up though.

http://my.opera.com/SleepCamel/homes...Taketomi36.JPG
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:02 pm
TYZ

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec
From these photos, it really looks like these cliffs at Manzamo...which is part of Kaigan Quasi National Park.

http://www.japanguidebook.com/files/...cean_photo.jpg

http://www.ishinhotels.com/sunmarina...ide/index.html

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/570864267BRTlms
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:02 pm

The Pacific - Season 1 Episode 9 - Okinawa
Loads of other tv shows and films have been about this place
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by walduk70
foxberg so what will be you today's gues .
I will rely on you.Will Okinawa ,Japan be enough specific?
Well, the only thing I'm certain of is that this is Japan and almost positive that this is Okinawa (I asked a Japanese girl I work with about blue and green water - the answer was Okinawa). But as far as the particular site - I have no idea. Searches on TV shows filmed in Japan returned nothing. Okinawa, Japan would not be enough for an answer. For the lack of better, or unless someone finds a better place, I would probably submit Cape Irizaki, Yonaguni Island, Japan. Those shadows we see on the picture could be from those electric poles that lead to the lighthouse on the right.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Pondering over the clue a little further, it may just refer to the country rather than the specific location, in which case I think the clue fits with Japan.
I have to believe that the Japan reference in the flash is correct, so this way the clue also fits and stops people sidetracking this thread with references to other countries due to Survivor obsessions

From looking at photos and from discussion on this thread, I definitely agree with Okinawa. The question is whether this is specific enough.
Instead of all these posts stating 'I got my points', it would actually be useful if people had posted what their answer was, so then we know how accurate you have to be.
For instance, did anyone get points without mentioning Arikok?
FWIW, I got 2000 points in week 2, despite including 'Royal' in my answer.

Anyway, if we are to narrow it down further. I think the golf course idea mentioned has some credibility. The wiki pages certainly mention golf courses.
Also, although the competition only mentions an 'Anywhere Hotel' must be nearby, it certainly wouldn't hurt having a nice PC hotel, so I'm going to review that as well.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:13 pm

I found this picture taken on site of the Manza Beach resort on Okinawa:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...um/2647759.jpg

Does than come close??

Chris
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
From the first three weeks, I think we can conclude that these pictures are not supposed to represent one specific plot of ground: they are composites of photos glommed together solely to make a picturesque image for a postcard. So don't get wrapped around any specific image... it only is meant to be representative of the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.