Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: IC Platinum Royal Ambassador, HH Gold
Day 1 I put Turnagain Arm, Kenai River AK
Day 2: Kenai River

I have not gotten any points

Today I am going to put: Arenal Volcano, Costa Rico
The clue is "active day and night" and it is the only volcano there that is.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:22 am

San Jose??

My thoughts-

Definitely Costa Rica, & Turrialba volcano photo, BUT the word clue seems to hint that maybe the activity doesn't just apply to a volcano.

Is vibrant San Jose likely - how near is it to the volcanoes in question?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Mick163
something higher than S(abah) - San Jose near to all 3 volcanos, probably a good night life too and means you can have Tasmania next week...but we haven't had any towns/citys yet!

Would it harm including San Jose with your choice of volcano?
This has been my thinking too, Sabah was just the area on the previous week, so are we over thinking again trying to narrow it down too much? Or should it just be San Jose, Costa Rica? Clearly it is deceptive between the pic not being of Arenal Volc. but the clue suggesting it is. Closest city to Irazu Volc. is San Jose(which has a terrific day and nite attractions); however closest city to Arenal is...can't find one!
Thoughts?

On week 3 I know I guessed right on day one but no points yet!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
Don't forget that significant elements could still be added to the picture. For example, just because Turrialba is in the background doesn't mean that the answer is Turrialba. Tomorrow could bring a picture of the Iruzu crater, such that it's clear that Turrialba is just in the background. Or something else. In fact, I sort of think the fact that Turrialba is in the background and there's still room in the foreground perhaps means something else will be added. In fact, they have 3 more days of stuff to add. If it were just Turrialba, what more would they add? I think we're going to get some added elements of the Iruzu crater.

So I'm kind of thinking right now that it's Iruzu. Especially since the picture of Turrialba that they used for the contest has a caption with the word Iruzu in it. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit.

To summarize: Iruzu is active. The vegetation is clearly from Iruzu crater. The picture of Turrialba is from a shutterstock photo that has the word Iruzu in it.

I'm just guessing like everyone else, and I'll wait for more analysis. But right now that's my instinct.
Excellent argument! This pretty much rules out Turrialba as far as I'm concerned.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by bwfoy
On week 3 I know I guessed right on day one but no points yet!
There's a pretty simple answer to that one... NO ONE has there points posted for that week yet... hold your horses...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Buzzman
There's a pretty simple answer to that one... NO ONE has there points posted for that week yet... hold your horses...
Thanks..noted
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:32 am

"active day and night" is the description of a cathermeral animal
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by britbronco22
Goldenbear, we already found a match. It is Turrialba, (taken while standing on Irazu).
The problem is, it doesn't necessarily mean that Turrialba is the answer.

<sigh> I wish people would read the old posts first, it would probably cut the length of this thread in half!
What are you sighing for?!? I have read every post, I have looked at every picture, and I am one of those thinks it is more likely to be Arenal than Turrialba.

The clue is 'Active both night and day', which Arenal is and Turrialba isn't.

I may be wrong, but for now there is insufficient info to know for sure so to suggest that we have the answer 100% for sure, and that the debate is over is just silly.

Don't forget that last week everyone was sure on day one that it was one of the castles in a particular part of Japan, and that turned out to be 100% wrong!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:34 am

I believe you can take day trips to Arenal from San Jose.

Active night life indeed, prostitution is legal in Costa Rica.

From the composition, looks like any additions will be put in the foreground, so I can pretty much guarantee either squirrel monkeys, a quetzal bird, or both, will be appearing.

I'd go with Arenal Volcano simply because it's probably the most well known volcano attraction in Costa Rica. I doubt they would get as specific as the Arenal Observatory Lodge, but who knows.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by burg123
Rather like us trying to work out the answers!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Judging from the mountains and height above the clouds I would also think that this could revolve around a volcano! Lots of national parks have volcanos in it.

It looks tropical, and that would lead me to believe that we're back on US soil, most notably Hawaiian soil. Wikipedia article, LOOK AT THIS MAP!

See that small island on the southeast side of the map? That could be the one we're looking at from the picture in the first person
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by burg123
Funny that you say so, because if you do a search on "active day and night Costa Rica" you come to this book: Traveller's Wildlife Guide Costa Rica
There are bunch of descriptions of different animals that are active day and night.

on a quick note, with all the clouds there is a cloud forest near Arenal Volc. too (Monteverde Cloud Forest)

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by Austin Winters
Judging from the mountains and height above the clouds I would also think that this could revolve around a volcano! Lots of national parks have volcanos in it.

It looks tropical, and that would lead me to believe that we're back on US soil, most notably Hawaiian soil. Wikipedia article, LOOK AT THIS MAP!

See that small island on the southeast side of the map? That could be the one we're looking at from the picture in the first person
Hmmm, maybe, but you might look over the hundred or so posts right before yours....

IRAZU VALCANO NATIONAL PARK, CARTAGO, COSTA RICA is my guess based off the photos in Shuttershock..They have one showing the excat angle and picture of the volcano and it states it is the view from the backside of Irazu Volcano, in Costa Rica.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.