Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I was there in Sept 2011. We got a free box of Macadamia nut chocolates and a discount on the daily parking fee.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Stayed here a couple on months ago as a Plat - no upgrade and 1PM "late" checkout ("We're completely full!"), box of chocs in room, and coupons for two bottles of water from their shop (locally-bottled brand only). Breakfast -- you're on your own!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:46 pm

Staying here in 2 weeks. Booked with award night, so not expecting much.

Any recent success w/ a guaranteed cash upgrade?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I stay here once a year when I'm in HNL for work...it is a GREAT location, probably the best thing going for the hotel. Same as posters above with free bottles of water and a box of chocolates, that is where the elite state "perks" end.

For a business trip where I spent very little time in the room, it 100% did the trick...think it would do the trick for a sightseeing vacation too but if I wanted to have direct beach access I'd stay elsewhere.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
Late Checkout???

I just checked out of this hotel. Used points. Would not stay again...and definitely would NOT pay for this hotel. The most annoying thing to me was the denied late check out. I guess I haven't used that benefit before as a platinum and only at IC (Ambassador) so fully expected it without having to ask (am also used to SPG Plat). At 1 PM despite having a privacy sign on the door a very abrupt person came to the door and said we needed to get out NOW. I called the front desk and was told "I don't care that you're a Platinum. We are fully booked and you have 20 minutes to vacate." I asked to speak to a mgr which then just got laughable as he explained that late check out (despite being promised on the website) is not guaranteed. When I said show me where it says that, his reply was "show me where it says guaranteed." I said, there is no where on the benefits page (http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en/enjoy-rewards) that is says it IS NOT guaranteed and is therefore understood to be a promised benefit. He went as far as to argue ALL benefits mentioned are provided as available but not guaranteed. RIDICULOUS. My argument back was that when not guaranteed it makes that footnote as with the room upgrade which has a 2 next to it then refers to the footnote that says "subject to availability". He refused to budge, which then just really pissed me off.

If this is platinum status I think I'll go back to SPG. I also realize that some of this may just be bad CS in Hawaii, because the issue I had last year at the Ala Moana Surfrider Westin was the one that made me walk from SPG last year.

Doesn't this random honoring of late check out bother anyone else? Why isn't this a bigger issue on this forum when it is a listed benefit and doesn't say anywhere that late check out is subject to availability?! It does say not available in all regions, but Hawaii is part of the USA and that benefit is to be honored.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by MaximusDamon
I just checked out of this hotel. Used points. Would not stay again...and definitely would NOT pay for this hotel. The most annoying thing to me was the denied late check out. I guess I haven't used that benefit before as a platinum and only at IC (Ambassador) so fully expected it without having to ask (am also used to SPG Plat). At 1 PM despite having a privacy sign on the door a very abrupt person came to the door and said we needed to get out NOW.
Although I do agree that late checkout is a guaranteed benefit, you of course need to tell them in advance that you are going to require it, thus allowing them the time to re-adjust check-in times/expectations. Your room was on the list to be cleaned out by the regular cleaning staff (not the late checkout cleaners) . It was also on the list that it would be available for a 2pm or whatever check-in. They can't automatically hold every single plat room for late checkout, plats are much more common in IHG than in SPG. And anyhow, how are they supposed to know what time you are going to leave at. 3pm, 4pm, 6pm ? Even ambassador status at IC hotels only get late check-out UP TO 4pm. i.e. the max is 4pm, but they might only give you 2pm.

It sounds like you didn't tell them the night before. If that's the case, just staying in the room at hr after checkout lead to the whole confrontation, putting staff on the back foot, and leaving you afronted. Unless there is more to the story that you havn't included, the hotel didn't deny late-checkout, you didn't request it until an hour after the checkout time.

Last edited by tangey; Aug 2, 2013 at 10:25 am
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tangey
Although I do agree that late checkout is a guaranteed benefit, you of course need to tell them in advance that you are going to require it, thus allowing them the time to re-adjust check-in times/expectations. Your room was on the list to be cleaned out by the regular cleaning staff (not the late checkout cleaners) . It was also on the list that it would be available for a 2pm or whatever check-in. They can't automatically hold every single plat room for late checkout, plats are much more common in IHG than in SPG. And anyhow, how are they supposed to know what time you are going to leave at. 3pm, 4pm, 6pm ? Even ambassador status at IC hotels only get late check-out UP TO 4pm. i.e. the max is 4pm, but they might only give you 2pm.

It sounds like you didn't tell them the night before. If that's the case, just staying in the room at hr after checkout lead to the whole confrontation, putting staff on the back foot, and leaving you afronted. Unless there is more to the story that you havn't included, the hotel didn't deny late-checkout, you didn't request it until an hour after the checkout time.
Is it documented somewhere that I need to request this in advance? If so, where? I was unaware of that and was never asked if I'd be needing late checkout, as I always was at SPG. And this also does not explain the conversation with the manager who INSISTED this is NOT a guaranteed benefit and furthermore that ALL stated benefits are provided only when available...which is complete BS.

Last edited by MaximusDamon; Aug 3, 2013 at 3:03 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:22 am

I was unaware of that and was never asked if I'd be needing late checkout, as I always was at SPG.
Isn't it also a guaranteed benefit of SPG plat ? And yet, you say you have ALWAYS been asked if you will be requiring it. Why do you think that is? so they can plan ahead.

If I need a benefit, and it is not clear whether the benefit has been set up for my stay or not, I'll make sure that there is no ambiguity. I don't recall whether I've ever been asked if I wanted it, but I do recall asking every time I needed it !

Is it documented somewhere that I need to request this in advance? If so, where?
You need documentation for common sense ?

You also know that the actual time for extended check-out is not documented anywhere. All it says is "extended checkout". I am intrigued therefore to know, having not actually agreed any late checkout time,and it not being defined anywhere in the benefits page, what time did you conclude in your own head, was the implied late checkout time ? 2pm, 4pm, later ?

And this also does not explain the conversation with the manager who INSISTED this is NOT a guaranteed benefit and furthermore that ALL stated benefits are provided only when available...which is complete BS.
As i said in my earlier reply, it is a guaranteed benefit, but not asking for it, until after the standard checkout time had expired(i.e an hour after you should have left the property), was the genesis of the problem.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I just checked out of this hotel. Used points. Would not stay again...and definitely would NOT pay for this hotel. The most annoying thing to me was the denied late check out. I guess I haven't used that benefit before as a platinum and only at IC (Ambassador) so fully expected it without having to ask (am also used to SPG Plat). At 1 PM despite having a privacy sign on the door a very abrupt person came to the door and said we needed to get out NOW. I called the front desk and was told "I don't care that you're a Platinum. We are fully booked and you have 20 minutes to vacate." I asked to speak to a mgr which then just got laughable as he explained that late check out (despite being promised on the website) is not guaranteed. When I said show me where it says that, his reply was "show me where it says guaranteed." I said, there is no where on the benefits page (http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en/enjoy-rewards) that is says it IS NOT guaranteed and is therefore understood to be a promised benefit. He went as far as to argue ALL benefits mentioned are provided as available but not guaranteed. RIDICULOUS. My argument back was that when not guaranteed it makes that footnote as with the room upgrade which has a 2 next to it then refers to the footnote that says "subject to availability". He refused to budge, which then just really pissed me off.

If this is platinum status I think I'll go back to SPG. I also realize that some of this may just be bad CS in Hawaii, because the issue I had last year at the Ala Moana Surfrider Westin was the one that made me walk from SPG last year.

Doesn't this random honoring of late check out bother anyone else? Why isn't this a bigger issue on this forum when it is a listed benefit and doesn't say anywhere that late check out is subject to availability?! It does say not available in all regions, but Hawaii is part of the USA and that benefit is to be honored.
If you stay in a hotel brand you really need to know what benefits are guaranteed and which are subject to availability. You are complaining about a chain you admit to rarely using, and about a benefit that is not guaranteed and you did not request at checkin.

2pm late checkout is not guaranteed,and has always been subject to hotels discretion. It is a common courtesy to ask if you can have late checkout during checkin process, so hotel can plan for your late checkout. Sonetimes hotel will say sorry we are really full tomorrow, sometimes offer 1pm instead of 2pm, sometimes say 2pm is fine.
Telling reception 9am in the morning or after 1200 noon is a no-no to me, but sometimes plans change, eg later flight, so asking early 9am on day is ok, but be prepared for hotel to say, sorry we can't this time.

Hotels plan for that days arrivals including upgrades, early, say 7am, with room allocators taking into account rooms vacating that lunchtime, any notified late checkouts, and discuss with room keeping which of those are nicest/best rooms to upgrade incoming Elites to.

If as well as late-checkout of room, as a Platinum Elite if your room is an upgrade, bear in mind this further adds to need to inform hotel as chances are room is alloacted to another elite after you checkout.

If I don't need to work from my room on day i check out, I will ask if they need to give my room to incoming elite and would like me to work in the lounge.
I think that is appreciated by hotels as in Intercontinental Brand early checkins, especially for RA/Ambassadors are frequent and we are all in upgraded rooms.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Worst thing that happened was late check out not being honored? Not that bad of a stay.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Worst thing that happened was late check out not being honored? Not that bad of a stay.
I'm also hoping to have "not that bad of a stay" in a month. The last time I stayed in that hotel was in 1981, checking out the first day of the ATC strike, flying home on Western Airlines.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:29 pm

Thanks for the comments folks. But as several of you insist this isn't a guaranteed benefit. SHOW ME WHERE IT SAYS THAT IT ISN'T GUARANTEED. Because I included a link to the list of stated benefits and it doesn't say that.

So instead of complaining about my expectations which were set by the marketing folks at IHG, show me in writing where I'm wrong.

At SPG, yes I was usually asked if I wanted late check out...but not always asked. And on the occasions where I wasn't asked nor did I tell them I wanted it, I was called in my room and asked when I would be checking out...and when I said I would be checking out late as a Platinum I was NEVER given any grief about it. This experience was very different.

And, no that's not the only thing I didn't like about this hotel. But I didn't feel like going into it at length because the one question I wanted answered was the late checkout issue.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the comments folks. But as several of you insist this isn't a guaranteed benefit. SHOW ME WHERE IT SAYS THAT IT ISN'T GUARANTEED. Because I included a link to the list of stated benefits and it doesn't say that.

So instead of complaining about my expectations which were set by the marketing folks at IHG, show me in writing where I'm wrong.

At SPG, yes I was usually asked if I wanted late check out...but not always asked. And on the occasions where I wasn't asked nor did I tell them I wanted it, I was called in my room and asked when I would be checking out...and when I said I would be checking out late as a Platinum I was NEVER given any grief about it. This experience was very different.

And, no that's not the only thing I didn't like about this hotel. But I didn't feel like going into it at length because the one question I wanted answered was the late checkout issue.
I've been entitled to late checkout at Starwood since day 1 of the program (1999) and I never did assume that the late checkout was automatic if I didn't request same.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:21 pm

Without being "clever" you technically did get a late checkout, apparently they did not contact you until 1pm which is surely after the normal checkout time What checkout time had you agreed with yourself in own head ? There is NO time stated in the list of benefits, and you clearly know that as you have referred to the list of benefits in this thread, and referred to the list to the manager.

It appears to be that the facts of that matter are that you were sitting in a room, assuming you had an extended checkout, but you had no idea what time you were to vacate the room, and the hotel had no idea you were expecting to check out late. A simple conversation would have resolved it all.

I was unaware of that and was never asked if I'd be needing late checkout, as I always was at SPG.
At SPG, yes I was usually asked if I wanted late check out...but not always asked
You earlier used the fact you were ALWAYS asked by SPG, to make your argument, but are now using the fact they didn't always ask, you to make your point

?

Last edited by tangey; Aug 5, 2013 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold

Having admitted that SPG is your usual brand, and that you never requested late checkout in advance, why do you feel you can ignore the posts of those who do frequently stay at IHG brands, know correct answer which they have informed you of .. namely it is not a guaranteed benefit.
You resorted to bad posting by "shouting" by capitalising a demand for proof. If you want to draw attention to a particular phrase hilite'ing with colour or bold is usually preferrable.

We mostly all answered correctly that 'Late Checkout' has never ever been a guaranteed benefit. Instead of saying ok, thankyou for letting me know, sorry I had the wrong impression. You are throwing a tantrum over a really minior thing.

Actually the text in IHG t+c's regards Late Checkout benefit = "based upon request and availability."
............. which can not be interpreted by any person as being guaranteed even the way you were trying to justify your viewpoint, by saying even if ihg wording does not say "not guaranteed", you are entitled to see it as guaranteed

By the way, neither is the Late Checkout a Platinum or Gold benefit, it actually has always applied to basic PCR Club Member level along with free newspaper.

Here is the Proof (under)
IHG® REWARDS CLUB GLOBAL MEMBERSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/glo...ber-tc#general

"10. Special Services. You may be entitled to special services and benefits at IHG hotels. Benefits and services may change from time to time and may vary by hotel, country and geographical region. Club-level members receive free enrolment into the IHG® Rewards Club programme and may receive hotel benefits which vary by hotel and region. They include but are not limited to the following: complimentary weekday newspaper and extended check-out until 2 PM EST (based upon request and availability). "

o Then Gold Elites get additive benefits on top of 'Blue' basic membership benefit of paper and possible late checkout.
o Finally Platinum get further additive benefits on top of all the Gold benefits.

Last edited by scubaccr; Aug 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.