Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber Resort (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: All of the Above
I am staying here for 1 night next month, and have a flight that doesn't leave until 845. I know the latest checkout they will give me is 2, but is there anywhere (bathrooms by the pool, etc) that I could change? I'd like to stay out in the sun, swim some, then change and head to the airport at 6 or so.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:10 pm

how likely to be assigned a double double room at Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcom

I used points to reserve 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Waikiki. We are a family of 4, 2 adults, and 2 teenagers (age 16 & 17). I did indicate there are 4 of us, but standard room was the only choice.

It states the hotel will try to do their best to accommodate our bed type preference, but no guarantee.

I want to know the chances of getting a 2-beds room? Will being a platinum help? Anybody had the same experience? Should I call the Hotel or 800 number to request it.

I certainly do not want to wait til the check-in time to find out only room with 1 bed is available.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call the hotel and talk to them. People on FT can only give you past experiences which like investing, is no guarantee of future experiences. So just call them and explain.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
A quick update, as I'm here now for Mem Day week: This is a fairly typical Holiday Inn, but above average as Waikiki high rise hotels go. Rooms are due for renovation but clean and pretty good sized. Dark wood finishes keep the rooms from looking too dated.

TVs are too small for the room - these days the standard should be 55" or so for as large as the room is, and the TV is probably 32". The bathroom has a separate pocket door to separate the toilet and the world's smallest bathtub - seriously, they should have just installed a shower pan and been done with it; I suppose this works for your 8-year-old who wants a bath, but adults simply wouldn't fit.

There's a fridge under the counter in the bathroom sink area. Closet is large and includes a safe. Wifi is free. There is no resort fee - and this in itself made the room $35 cheaper per night than the Marriott Waikiki, which is comparable in room quality, location and overall experience. The pool here is small and there are only a couple of dozen lounge chairs, but I haven't noticed any overcrowding so far.

There is a major construction project on the north/east sides of the building, so request a room to the west/south and you should be fine - unless you want a partial Diamondhead view; then you'll have to decide if view or noise is more critical for you.

I was recognized as a Gold and offered two bottles of water or 300 points. I took the points.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Disappointing announcement re: the hotel:

Announcements
Effective Feb 1, 2016; all bookings made for March 20, 2016 and beyond will be assessed a $20 USD plus tax daily service charge for the Waikiki Connection. This includes unlimited rides on the Waikiki Connection Trolley, long distance calls to the US Mainland & Canada and an exclusive Beachcomber Drawstring backpack. In addition, discounts to shopping, dining and attractions nearby.Thank you to all of our valued guests for your support of the Jimmy Buffett’s Restaurant since its opening in 2009. The restaurant will be serving its last Volcano Nachos and Beachcomber Margarita on Sunday, February 29, 2016 when it closes its doors. Maui Brewing Company will be taking over the space and will undergo a multimillion dollar renovation, with an opening slated for December 2016!

I actually started staying here when I just needed a clean convenient room and didn't want to pay what was then the new "resort fee" at the Princess Kaiulani. This hotel will no longer have that advantage, in fact, it will have a disadvantage in that I get a free breakfast and late checkout w/my SPG status.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:35 am

Thanks for sharing EB1K. I have a prepaid stay in June which did not include this $20 service charge. I will email hotel to see if I will be assessed this fee.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:32 pm

Update: hotel responded that I will be exempt from the fees since I booked prior to fee implementation.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Thank you to all of our valued guests for your support of the Jimmy Buffett’s Restaurant since its opening in 2009. The restaurant will be serving its last Volcano Nachos and Beachcomber Margarita on Sunday, February 29, 2016 when it closes its doors. Maui Brewing Company will be taking over the space and will undergo a multimillion dollar renovation, with an opening slated for December 2016.
I'm curious, what happened to Chef Peter Merrimam? The menu since summer 2014 was his own although the restaurant name was still Jimmy Buffets Margritaville. His food was excellent, much better than pub food at Margaritaville. Probably an expired lease or something I suppose.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, JetBlue, Virgin America, Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Disappointing announcement re: the hotel:

Announcements
Effective Feb 1, 2016; all bookings made for March 20, 2016 and beyond will be assessed a $20 USD plus tax daily service charge for the Waikiki Connection. This includes unlimited rides on the Waikiki Connection Trolley, long distance calls to the US Mainland & Canada and an exclusive Beachcomber Drawstring backpack. In addition, discounts to shopping, dining and attractions nearby.Thank you to all of our valued guests for your support of the Jimmy Buffett’s Restaurant since its opening in 2009. The restaurant will be serving its last Volcano Nachos and Beachcomber Margarita on Sunday, February 29, 2016 when it closes its doors. Maui Brewing Company will be taking over the space and will undergo a multimillion dollar renovation, with an opening slated for December 2016!

I actually started staying here when I just needed a clean convenient room and didn't want to pay what was then the new "resort fee" at the Princess Kaiulani. This hotel will no longer have that advantage, in fact, it will have a disadvantage in that I get a free breakfast and late checkout w/my SPG status.
OOoOOoOo a drawstring backpack!

Sounds interesting on the Maui Brewing Company. Craft beers/brew pubs are all the rage these days.
Would be nice to inject some "local" flavor in.
How much does the trolley usually cost? That could be an interesting benefit...
Old Mar 1, 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by jdimarzio
How much does the trolley usually cost? That could be an interesting benefit...
A day pass to Waikiki Trolley's pink line -- which covers a similar area -- is ~ $20. Except that one runs every 10 minutes, whereas the Waikiki Connection Trolley only runs about every hour. Not that great...

http://www.waikikibeachcomberresort....nectionfee.pdf
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Spire Finally Gets a Benefit

I was here a few days ago and am back again today for the last night of our vacation. Very happy to have received an upgraded room, ocean view both times. First stay was on points, second is paid (chose lowest category). First room on 21st floor on the "construction" side. Noise not an issue. Ocean and beach visible from the balcony, sideways. Today's room is on the 25th (highest) floor, opposite side, looking across at that revolving restaurant. I don't find the view as nice (ocean is sideways again), but DH says it's better sun-wise.

Everyone here is very nice; Christian the concierge (even though he works for Expedia) is excellent. But I am very upset about the no restaurant situation. Front desk shrugs and says they notified travel agents. They suggest we get food/drinks at another hotel/restaurant down the block and across the street. When I am on vacation I don't want to have to carry my food down the street & back to the hotel. Not even a Coke or pack of crackers here.

Maui Brewing company will not open until 2017. They plan to have a breakfast/lunch bistro open some time soon. No mention of this on my check-in reminder or in advance on the web site. In fact you can still book a breakfast package.

Stay would have been great otherwise. I just don't like the fact they feel it's not a big deal to not provide the amenities I thought I was booking for my vacation.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Looking to possibly book the Beachcomber with my credit card free night, but hesitant due to fees. Can someone confirm if the $20 resort fee applies EVERY night? Does it apply if I use points or free night? Does the resort fee include parking? If not, how much is parking?

EDIT: answering my own question: Resort fee is $20 per night regardless of types of booking (point or cash). Parking is $38 per night, but since I'm PLAT, I get $5 per night discount. Valet parking only.

Last edited by chunky649; Nov 21, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
After years of the Beachcomber being my first-choice hotel in Waikiki because of the lack of a resort fee, I may be staying there over Memorial Day...but ONLY because the room rate including resort fee is a couple of bucks less than the Hilton Waikiki.

I could still be persuaded to go with the Hilton Waikiki though.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chunky649

EDIT: answering my own question: Resort fee is $20 per night regardless of types of booking (point or cash). Parking is $38 per night, but since I'm PLAT, I get $5 per night discount. Valet parking only.
​​​​​​

I most certainly did not pay a resort fee on my points stay last month. The receptionist was very clear that i would not be charged, although i received what are touted as the benefits: a lime green bag, trolley ride pass and free calls within the US.

Parking in expensive, and not included in the resort fee.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
​​​​​​

I most certainly did not pay a resort fee on my points stay last month.
Any chance you booked your stay before 2/1/16? We are checking out after a 3-night stay using points and were charged $20.94 service fee each night. We called and the front desk says this applies to all stays.

When we checked in, we discussed the pros and cons of using points versus cash with the desk clerk and the topic of the resort fee came up, making us think it did not apply to points stays (as it never has for our many prior stays). Buyer beware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.