Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. to BKK, REP, DPS (in J)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Complex itinerary puzzle - SE Asia, family of 3, using MR, UR, and Alaska

hello! I’m trying to plan a family trip for three to southeast Asia. We want to fly in business class, and are hoping to visit Vietnam Thailand Cambodia and perhaps India. We are pretty flexible on the routing to make the most of our miles. We will also use shorter revenue flights while in the area -were just trying to make the most of the long-haul segments in business if possible. I’m assuming the outbound would be to use Alaska miles to get from US - HKG on CX or west coast to Tokyo on JL. I want to make use of the stopovers to squeeze out the most of the miles.

We have
200,000 ultimate rewards points
200,000 membership rewards points
175,000 Alaska miles
35,000 SPG

thanks for for any tips.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:25 am
Community Director Emerita

Consider Korean Airlines for one way. I just checked a random date this summer. LAX-SGN is 75K in business class. You're allowed a stopover at the connection point which obviously is Seoul. Ultimate reward points can be moved into Korean Airlines as can Starwood points. Your 200K UR points plus 20K SPG points (that are given a 5K bonus on moving them) give you 225K points. It takes a while to set up a family account so if you have any thoughts at all of wanting to do this start earlier rather than later. You have to provide proof of the marriage. I think they took a copy of the deed to our house as proof of our marriage. It's extremely easy to find Korean award availability when using Korean miles. Also, the lovely people at their reservation line have endless patience and will allow bookings to be held for months which waiting to move points in.

It would be helpful if you gave your originating airport. My suggestion might not make any sense at all for you if you are not near an airport that Korean serves.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

thanks for this - yes, I was considering Korran and possible Singapore as a return (or outbound) it’s hard to beat the Alaska miles 55k in business - and since they can get me from any airport (closest is MCI) I’m trying to make the most of CX stopovers like HKG- SGN and then perhaps over to Thailand - not sure if I can do HKG-SGN-BKK— (Goa or Mumbai) all on one itinerary.

I think Korean is less than SQ for J for the return - and their available it’ll is great. Plus, we did want to swing into Souel at some point.

Thanks fir for the tips.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
... I was considering Korean and possible Singapore as a return (or outbound) it’s hard to beat the Alaska miles 55k in business - and since they can get me from any airport (closest is MCI) I’m trying to make the most of CX stopovers like HKG- SGN and then perhaps over to Thailand - not sure if I can do HKG-SGN-BKK— (Goa or Mumbai) all on one itinerary.

I think Korean is less than SQ for J for the return - and their available it’ll is great. Plus, we did want to swing into Seoul at some point.
But is their award availability?
Getting 3 business class awards on the same flight will be extremely hard to impossible. Be realistic in your expectations.
Most ffp's now do not allow stopovers on award flights. But Alaska AS does. However the AS award chart is somewhat limited in being very specific on routes/airlines

++++++++++++++++++
If a multi segment award check the rules/cost carefully. With some ffp’s it can be 2 or more awards or cost more ff miles/points than a direct flight. Some ffp’s have awards zones and some work on distance. If the award is on partner airline it may cost more miles/points than an award on the ffp airline.

With ffp's (saver/off peak) award availability may/may not be the same for all, including ff partners. In practise it does vary. Some airlines release more award space to members of their own FFP, particularly first class. Usually better/easier to get an awards on the airline of the ffp.

Some ffps/airlines/routes can have cash surcharges on award flight, in addition to real taxes.
Some carrier imposed surcharges can trigger additional real taxes when the flight changes from non-revenue to revenue.
Real taxes/regulatory fees are the same for all airlines on the same route/class.

These links give a guide of ff miles needed. These may not be up to date or accurate. Check the ffp's rules for awards. Use at your own risk. (These are not recommendations)
  1. -AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> Awardsace.com Has surcharge indication.
  2. -Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> Flyermiler.com
  3. -AwardHacker: a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles --> Awardhacker.com
Ellice likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But is their award availability?
Getting 3 business class awards on the same flight will be extremely hard to impossible. Be realistic in your expectations.
Most ffp's now do not allow stopovers on award flights. But Alaska AS does. However the AS award chart is somewhat limited in being very specific on routes/airlines

++++++++++++++++++
If a multi segment award check the rules/cost carefully. With some ffp’s it can be 2 or more awards or cost more ff miles/points than a direct flight. Some ffp’s have awards zones and some work on distance. If the award is on partner airline it may cost more miles/points than an award on the ffp airline.

With ffp's (saver/off peak) award availability may/may not be the same for all, including ff partners. In practise it does vary. Some airlines release more award space to members of their own FFP, particularly first class. Usually better/easier to get an awards on the airline of the ffp.

Some ffps/airlines/routes can have cash surcharges on award flight, in addition to real taxes.
Some carrier imposed surcharges can trigger additional real taxes when the flight changes from non-revenue to revenue.
Real taxes/regulatory fees are the same for all airlines on the same route/class.

These links give a guide of ff miles needed. These may not be up to date or accurate. Check the ffp's rules for awards. Use at your own risk. (These are not recommendations)
  1. -AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> Awardsace.com Has surcharge indication.
  2. -Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> Flyermiler.com
  3. -AwardHacker: a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles --> Awardhacker.com
Thanks! These tools have been awesome! I'm not too worried about finding 3 J seats on CX using AS miles (well, I guess depending on the route perhaps)

Is this route possible as a one-way on CX (using AS miles) ORD-HKG-(stopover in DAD) onto-BKK? Each segment exists as a non-stop so I assume I can do that as an itinerary. I could just call AS and ask I suppose...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'm not too worried about finding 3 J seats on CX using AS miles (well, I guess depending on the route perhaps)
You have more confidence in getting 3 long haul premium awards than I have ever had.
Good luck

Is this route possible as a one-way on CX (using AS miles) ORD-HKG-(stopover in DAD) onto-BKK? Each segment exists as a non-stop so I assume I can do that as an itinerary. I could just call AS and ask I suppose...
Yes: ask AS. And look on the AS forum
Are you a signed up member of the AS ffp now?
Familiar with the AS award chart and the award rules?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

U.S. to BKK, REP, DPS (in J)

Ok, well I've narrowed down my trip destinations. I'm not sure what the best route would be to make the most of my miles. I want to visit Bangkok, Siem Reap, and Bali - the order of the visits don't matter at all. I want to make the most of the stopover options allowed on AS partner redemptions and whichever stopovers make the most sense on the return flight. I'm find doing (shorter) revenue flights within Asia but would like to get to DPS on redemption (not too short of a flight)

I was planning on using AS miles (most likely on CX for the outbound, but could be JL) departing from ORD, SFO, or LAX. I was thinking I'd connect in HKG but don't know where to go next (DPS, BKK, or REP) One of these destinations could also be on the return route as a stopover also. I was planning on using a combination of MR and UR points to fly KE or SQ but am open to other options.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, well I've narrowed down my trip destinations. I'm not sure what the best route would be to make the most of my miles. I want to visit Bangkok, Siem Reap, and Bali - the order of the visits don't matter at all. I want to make the most of the stopover options allowed on AS partner redemptions and whichever stopovers make the most sense on the return flight. I'm find doing (shorter) revenue flights within Asia but would like to get to DPS on redemption (not too short of a flight)

I was planning on using AS miles (most likely on CX for the outbound, but could be JL) departing from ORD, SFO, or LAX. I was thinking I'd connect in HKG but don't know where to go next (DPS, BKK, or REP) One of these destinations could also be on the return route as a stopover also. I was planning on using a combination of MR and UR points to fly KE or SQ but am open to other options.
The "best route" is the route that has availability. If no availability "best" is zilch.
How confident are you getting J award flights? Checked availability about your dates?
Theoretical Route ORD-BKK-REP-DPS-ORD. But will not be able to fly that exact route.

Have you checked the award rules of AS?
Have you checked the award rules of the (unknown) ffp for MR/UR to KE/SQ?

Flying to/from Bali from Asia can be cheap. Buying cash may be better value than spending ff miles

A general guide (use at own risk) ORD to BKK Award Pricing Calculator | AwardAce
Some general basic inforamtion on ffp awards types (down the page)
"Programs are generally divided into zone-based, distanced-based and fixed-value types. Learn what makes each unique and how to make them work for you."
http://www.awardace.com/beginners-gu...nding-programs

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 20, 2018 at 4:29 pm Reason: added route link
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Hello! Yes - I’ve got the rules of AS partner redemptions - all flights have to be on the same carrier. (CX or JL) no mixing.

I have ave found availability for 3 seats in J on CX. I’m pretty confident in getting them in j on CX. I understand how they release and having an option to HKG now is possible.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello! Yes - I’ve got the rules of AS partner redemptions - all flights have to be on the same carrier. (CX or JL) no mixing.

I have ave found availability for 3 seats in J on CX. I’m pretty confident in getting them in j on CX. I understand how they release and having an option to HKG now is possible.
If you have found long haul J awards the general advise is book them. Others will, if you do not.

BKK-REP return is probably better as a cash ticket. From google flights "10 flights per day, 1h 5m duration. $200 ~ $300 round trip"
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:12 pm

Was there something wrong with the previous thread you started on this topic?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Was there something wrong with the previous thread you started on this topic?
I don't think there was anything wrong with it. Are you trying to ask a different question though?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:07 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I don't think there was anything wrong with it. Are you trying to ask a different question though?
We discourage posters from starting threads on very similar topics, particularly within a few days of one another. i'm going to merge the two threads.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.