FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. to BKK, REP, DPS (in J)
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:33 pm
Pookynubbers

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But is their award availability?
Getting 3 business class awards on the same flight will be extremely hard to impossible. Be realistic in your expectations.
Most ffp's now do not allow stopovers on award flights. But Alaska AS does. However the AS award chart is somewhat limited in being very specific on routes/airlines

++++++++++++++++++
If a multi segment award check the rules/cost carefully. With some ffp’s it can be 2 or more awards or cost more ff miles/points than a direct flight. Some ffp’s have awards zones and some work on distance. If the award is on partner airline it may cost more miles/points than an award on the ffp airline.

With ffp's (saver/off peak) award availability may/may not be the same for all, including ff partners. In practise it does vary. Some airlines release more award space to members of their own FFP, particularly first class. Usually better/easier to get an awards on the airline of the ffp.

Some ffps/airlines/routes can have cash surcharges on award flight, in addition to real taxes.
Some carrier imposed surcharges can trigger additional real taxes when the flight changes from non-revenue to revenue.
Real taxes/regulatory fees are the same for all airlines on the same route/class.

These links give a guide of ff miles needed. These may not be up to date or accurate. Check the ffp's rules for awards. Use at your own risk. (These are not recommendations)
  1. -AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> Awardsace.com Has surcharge indication.
  2. -Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> Flyermiler.com
  3. -AwardHacker: a tool we build to tell you how to travel with the least miles --> Awardhacker.com
Thanks! These tools have been awesome! I'm not too worried about finding 3 J seats on CX using AS miles (well, I guess depending on the route perhaps)

Is this route possible as a one-way on CX (using AS miles) ORD-HKG-(stopover in DAD) onto-BKK? Each segment exists as a non-stop so I assume I can do that as an itinerary. I could just call AS and ask I suppose...