View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 18, 4:46 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers View Post
Ok, well I've narrowed down my trip destinations. I'm not sure what the best route would be to make the most of my miles. I want to visit Bangkok, Siem Reap, and Bali - the order of the visits don't matter at all. I want to make the most of the stopover options allowed on AS partner redemptions and whichever stopovers make the most sense on the return flight. I'm find doing (shorter) revenue flights within Asia but would like to get to DPS on redemption (not too short of a flight)

I was planning on using AS miles (most likely on CX for the outbound, but could be JL) departing from ORD, SFO, or LAX. I was thinking I'd connect in HKG but don't know where to go next (DPS, BKK, or REP) One of these destinations could also be on the return route as a stopover also. I was planning on using a combination of MR and UR points to fly KE or SQ but am open to other options.
The "best route" is the route that has availability. If no availability "best" is zilch.
How confident are you getting J award flights? Checked availability about your dates?
Theoretical Route ORD-BKK-REP-DPS-ORD. But will not be able to fly that exact route.

Have you checked the award rules of AS?
Have you checked the award rules of the (unknown) ffp for MR/UR to KE/SQ?

Flying to/from Bali from Asia can be cheap. Buying cash may be better value than spending ff miles

A general guide (use at own risk) ORD to BKK Award Pricing Calculator | AwardAce
Some general basic inforamtion on ffp awards types (down the page)
"Programs are generally divided into zone-based, distanced-based and fixed-value types. Learn what makes each unique and how to make them work for you."
http://www.awardace.com/beginners-gu...nding-programs

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 20, 18 at 5:29 pm Reason: added route link