Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Before posting please read POSTS 1-3 for a comprehensive overview of how to select a program.
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP

List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Domflight Welcome to the forum

Originally Posted by Domflight
I am new at the forum and would like to have some suggestions about a good frequent flyer card/program, possibly as soon as possible, because I am going to buy a flight to South America and want to take advantage so I can start to earn my first points straight away! Thank you very much!
< snip>
I just joined (today) the "executive club" of the British Airways (which use avios points)
Is your South American flight on BA? If yes BA is a good start
Have a read in the BA forum including the top 3 threads
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:39 am

Flying JAL soon, which FFP to join?

Upgrades. Good award redemption rates.

2 flights, approx 10K miles each.

Economy. Would like to upgrade if possible w/ points

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, able to choose airlines and class. Travel for pleasure.

5. Which routes do you fly most often
International, for vacation. So destinations are all over the place (europe, asia, latin america).

SAN, but can make it to LAX without too much trouble.

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
No status, no current membership in anything but southwest.

None.

I'm new to the FF points game. I normally don't even enter a FF points # when I book flights. I'm flying on JAL (oneworld) soon and figured I should take advantage. I need a FF number/points program that I can give to JAL (anything oneworld right??).

Should I just signup for JAL FF program or signup for a more major oneworld carrier like AA? Thank you!!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:06 am

Thank you - Initial direction, please ?

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: - redemption rate

(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: - not frequently, Not each year, every couple of years, we travel to india, so it will be close t0 60,000 for 4 persons

(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply: - Economy

Reply: - Pleasure

(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply: - Intra-Asia (typically to India)

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: LAX

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply: - No FFP. I have capitalone credit card that earns 2 miles/dollar

Reply: No preference.. any airlines that takes me to India, typically, Emirate, British, Qatar, Eithad, Cathy Pacific, Singapore, etc..

Please suggest me what are my options here? I am currently actively looking to book tickets for my family for India for the next year travel. How can I use this opportunity for my next travel, if I can't use for this time.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

niceandlarge Welcome to the forum

Originally Posted by niceandlarge
Upgrades. Good award redemption rates.
< snip>
I'm new to the FF points game. I normally don't even enter a FF points # when I book flights. I'm flying on JAL (oneworld) soon and figured I should take advantage. I need a FF number/points program that I can give to JAL (anything oneworld right??).

Should I just signup for JAL FF program or signup for a more major oneworld carrier like AA? Thank you!!
As a resident of the USA, sign up for AA. You can then get AA miles from credit cards, shopping and more. For most people it’s better to be a ffp member of an airline from your home country. If your JAL flight is eligible you will get some AA miles.

Upgrades on non USA based airlines work a lot different from the practices of USA based airlines. On non USA based airlines alway expect to fly in the class you buy.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: Finnair Basic, SAS Basic, FlyingBlue Ivory
Hi,
If anyone can give me some pointers I'd be very grateful. I have AA as my main program for OW and SAS for *A but with the changes in SAS program it really doesn't feel like a good program anymore. I've been collecting to the SAS program with CCs as well.

(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: Redemption rates, award access and upgrades (in that order)

Reply: <25000, <25 segments

Reply: Economy, once or twice a year business/prem. economy for work

Reply: Mainly for pleasure, one or two short hauls for work. Work flights are supposed to be on AY, pleasure depends on route but mostly AY.

Reply: intra-europe

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: HEL

Reply: No status

Reply: AY has the best non-stop destinations but is a .... airline otherwise (at least in economy).

Here's my flightdiary from the last couple of years http://flightdiary.net/Oldgrain
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:18 pm

Ready to jump

Hi Everyone, Hopefully this will be acknowledged as it looks like the information desk thread is being debated For what it's worth, I've spent many hours here reading clean and straight forward advice and insight for as long as I can remember. It is super appreciated! I'll post with detail in the thread about 'how the information desk thread can be improved' (if I may be so bold as a noob), but I'd suggest building a matrix that can auto-answer questions like mine below (I bet someone here is good at creating this kind of thing perhaps). Now my question(s):

I've been a lurker forever, keeping an eye on all of your great tips and advice, but never having much to contribute or question. As a Summit member with Frontier, flying between LGA and DEN primarily, I've kept it fairly simple with most of my travels.

As many of you likely know, Frontier has changed their programs and flight options: Frontier has paused service with LGA through summer of 2015. As well, it looks like DEN and Frontier are now at odds (http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...ource=infinite), not to mention devaluation of the Summit status as they look to become a ULCC.

Because of these reasons my loyalty now needs a new home. I'm hoping that by reaching out to everyone here I can get a handle on the best way to think about what airline to go to and any suggestions on how to best get there. Below is the questionnaire with some addition information. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance-

In case information about Frontier's SUMMIT FFP is needed: http://www.flyfrontier.com/frequent-...ks/tier-levels

priority services (seat selection, security, check-in, boarding), baggage allowance would be nice, and good award redemption rates.

2014:
Qualifying Status Miles Earned (YTD): 42,357
Qualifying Status Segments Earned (YTD): 27

Economy, but as a Summit member this gets you classic plus seating (Choice of seat: stretch/select, plus carry-on, checked bag, and Priority services (seat selection, check-in, security, boarding).

Yes, I can choose. Work primarily

U.S. Domestic (primarily LGA - DEN); Europe/South America couple of time a year at best.

LGA (or JFK if necessary)

Frontier Summit, 130,756 banked (42,357 YTD / 27 QSS YTD; though miles will go up 3 - 5k by end of 2014)
United (no status): 20,628 banked (1,619 YTD/ 1 Segment)
Capitol One Signature Visa: 170,802

Because of familiarity, United and Delta, but I'm open. My wife is a gold status with United currently. Because of this I was considering Delta just so we have more options and status between us -but we don't fly together but about 3 - 4 round-trips per year, so not necessarily a big deal.

9. Other options for gaining FFP?
Currently I have a Frontier MC which earns single points for each dollar and double points for frontier purchases. It came with a 25k joining bonus. Happy to switch to a different card. In fact, my wife keeps getting Chase United offers for 50k points, and I get the same offer but for 30k, sadly.

Also, I have a Capitol one signature visa that earns 1.25 miles earned for every dollar spent.

Additionally, I receive 50% bonus on each mile flown with Frontier.

10. What do you want to use the miles/points for?
Flying primarily, but status/upgrades (if that is the way in which the program works to my benefit)

11. Would I like to migrate my current FFP into another airline's FFP?
Absolutely, any suggestions on how best to this and which airlines are the most generous with this option are welcome.

I look forward to any advice! Thanks again!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thank you for taking the time to provide as much detail as possible. I wish all new members were so thorough
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:55 pm

Recently moved from NYC to Oakland, CA and wondering if it makes sense to stick with AA given their limited destinations from SFO. United has the best routes, but I'd earn miles so slowly with the new revenue-based system. Advice welcome - thanks!

Reply:
Award redemption rates, award access, upgrades

Reply:

20,000-30,000 miles, 5-15 round trips

Reply: Economy

Reply: Work and pleasure. Book my own travel, always in economy.

Reply: US Domestic (various destinations incl transcon to JFK/BOS, west coast cities like Los Angeles, PDX, and unpredictable destinations for work conferences). Average 1 international trip per year for pleasure (could be anywhere - Latin America, Asia, Europe, Caribbean)

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: OAK (most convenient) and SFO

Reply: AA Gold
Miles banked:
American: 155,000
United: 41,000
Southwest: 2,000
Jet Blue: 7,000

Reply: Prefer AA because of my status, other than that no strong preference.

Last edited by oso101; Dec 3, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Welcome to FT, and thanks for providing so much detailed information!

I would suggest that you determine 1) what goals you have in choosing a program (upgrades? award tickets? award flights to what destinations?); and 2) what options for redemption are available for your use. UA may be best because of its hub in Denver and its partners (LH, LX, OS) in Europe, but that's just a guess on my part.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:42 pm

club to join where i can credit recent flights enjoy membership?

Two main questions:
if i'm an infrequent flyer, does accruing miles still make sense?
Since i recently flew, where can i accrue both United and BA flights?

Misspoke in a recent post to a different thread... husband has the USAirways miles. though i had an account once, it is now empty.
I recently flew from Israel to the US on BA and once on United, and i would like to credit them somewhere, but i don't know where.

I currently have FF accounts in Delta and ELAL clubs, but perhaps the biggest question is if i generally fly once to America from Israel and once to Europe or the UK, does accruing FF points/miles really matter? While loyalty is somewhat important, I choose flights by schedule and cost more than loyalty.Husband has chunk of USAir and Delta miles, if that is pertinent.
Thanks!!

Questionnaire
In order for FlyerTalkers to better assist you, please copy and paste the following questionnaire into your post and provide the requested information:

Reply:
good award redemption rates and access to dates

Reply:
under 25000
one israel-us RT and one Israel-UK or europe tRT

Reply:
economy

Reply:
travel for both, so it is a mix.

Reply:
Israel-US and Israel-UK or Europe

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:
TLV

Reply:
NO

Reply:
ElAl, safe and stable ones (unlikely to ever fly Aeroflot and the like)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:53 am

A little background. I am recently self employed and looking to get back into some serious traveling over the next five years. Basically, I want to travel abroad as much as my wife and I can afford to since I can work online. I'm less into the "stay for 24 hours" type of travel and like to stick around. Additionally, I am going to start traveling for work in the US on a monthly to bi-weekly basis. I'm a total noob to frequent flyer stuff though.

Currently I'm looking into credit cards from Southwest (to try and get the companion pass) as well as Chase Sapphire and Ink and American cards from Citi to try to book a European trip sometime in the next year and a half. Basically I'm trying to narrow down where to start since I don't want to apply for 6+ cards at the same time...

Reply: Good redemption Rates and Better Award Access

Reply: Currently <25000 miles and <25 flights. I can't imagine not hitting the 25000-50000 or more mark and the 25-50 mark in 2015 though.

Reply: economy

Reply: Yes, I can choose airlines at will. Work & Pleasure with work trips using being one RT to and from a domestic location in the US and Pleasure trips involving long stints of time abroad and flying into and out of different airports at the start and end of the trip. Sometimes flying during the trip but not always.

Reply: US domestic

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: MCO

Reply: None

Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:40 am

HI,
We are a family of four hoping to travel from the US to Europe every other year or maybe every three years. We are hoping to find a credit card that will help pay for part or all of one ticket. We do fly from SEA to the East Coast each year but most of our mile earnings would come from using the card for day to day expenses. We currently have the United Rewards card but are finding it hard to redeem the miles as our potential travel dates are only so flexible.

Thanks

Reply: Good award redemption, better award access

Reply: <25000

Reply:Economy

Reply: Yes whatever is the best deal, we travel for pleasure

Reply:looking to save up miles for a transatlantic flight

Reply: SEA

Reply: None (maybe Iceland Air but I am not sure they participate in any of these programs)
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, SW A-List
Time to jump ship?

Thanks for creating this thread; I've been a longtime lurker, but I'm hoping for a little advice on the right FFP for me. I've been focused on MileagePlus this year, and I can easily meet their new program changes in place next year.

For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades on travel #1
Extra baggage allowance
Priority services

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
This year 160K so far; next year will be 200K-300K over 100 sectors.

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Premium Economy for North America; Business for international

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Mostly for work, but I have some freedom on class with longer flights.

Reply:
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
Coast-to-coast US Domestic for the most part
Quite a few Caribbean trips too

(6) What is your home airport?
SAN

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
United 1K
American Gold
Southwest A-List

(8) Preferred Airlines
It has been United this year but no preference.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:29 pm

Reply: Priority services, priority boarding, "status perks," etc.

Reply: So far with my new work position, in 6 months I have 12,550 miles & 35 segments under my belt.

Reply: Economy

Reply: Able to choose airlines but not class of service. I travel for work.

5. Which routes do you fly most often?

Reply: US domestic

Reply: GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg)

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How many miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?

Reply: Silver Status on Dividend Miles (US Airways) with 13,380 miles (bonuses included)

Reply: No preference as of yet. As long as I get there on time and without incident, I'm happy.

I am basically wondering if there is a better program for me to join. I am not too concerned with free flights and whatnot because I will be getting them one way or another. Comfort and priority status are the most important aspects because I will be travelling a lot. I like getting on the plane early, getting my bag in the overhead bin, and getting situated without bothering my fellow passengers. I also wouldn't mind having lounge access from being a FF. (Hooray for free scotch!)
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Usairways
Questionnaire
In order for FlyerTalkers to better assist you, please copy and paste the following questionnaire into your post and provide the requested information:

Reply:upgrades,priority service

Reply:65 flights 60,000 miles

Reply:economy

Reply:yes

Reply:us domestic

(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply:bum

Reply:chairmans preferred Usairways

Reply:Usairways or Delta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.